August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So, the street that my house is on is obviously the road I run down the most. I mean I have to use it to leave the house AND return after all. So I have been running on this street at least a couple times a week for a couple years before the pandemic, and 4-5 times a week since the pandemic. So really all the people on the street should be used to me running by now, right?

A couple days ago I was walking back up the hill after my run and sucking down my water from my Wunjo, and this guy calls out really loud. "It's a water bag!" several times.

I choose to ignore him and keep walking. Still unsure what the response should be. :neutral:

I ignore all rude and inappropriate comments and comments that make no sense. Friendly and pleasant comment get a smile or a quick ‘thanks’.

I tend to hope my neon green Trekz headphone gives me a plausible excuse to not respond. Most people will not have a clue that I can still hear fine with them on. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So, the street that my house is on is obviously the road I run down the most. I mean I have to use it to leave the house AND return after all. So I have been running on this street at least a couple times a week for a couple years before the pandemic, and 4-5 times a week since the pandemic. So really all the people on the street should be used to me running by now, right?

A couple days ago I was walking back up the hill after my run and sucking down my water from my Wunjo, and this guy calls out really loud. "It's a water bag!" several times.

I choose to ignore him and keep walking. Still unsure what the response should be. :neutral:

I ignore all rude and inappropriate comments and comments that make no sense. Friendly and pleasant comment get a smile or a quick ‘thanks’.

I tend to hope my neon green Trekz headphone gives me a plausible excuse to not respond. Most people will not have a clue that I can still hear fine with them on. :)

I would have probably looked at him confused and kept going. Was he new to your neighborhood?

I once had some people ask if I was deaf & pointed to the side of their head where trekz would be because I was ignoring them. Oops.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I would have probably looked at him confused and kept going. Was he new to your neighborhood?

I once had some people ask if I was deaf & pointed to the side of their head where trekz would be because I was ignoring them. Oops.

No. He was here before we moved in. I have not done more than wave at him in passing a few times though. So do not really know him.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 55 miles

8/1 3.00
    8/2 off
    8/3 4.00
    8/4 off
    8/5 3.00
    8/6 off
    8/7 4.00
    8/8 off
    8/9 2.50
    8/10 snorkel 2 hours
    8/11 3.75
    8/12 off
    8/13 3.00
    8/14 off
    8/15 3.56
    8/16 off
    8/17 4.00
    8/18 2.75

Total 33.56

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Grr just lost a long post replying to lots of people’s updates and sharing some of my own. From memory...

@marisap2010 - great news on the test!
    @mbaker566 - lovely pics, the rainbow is amazing
    @teresa502- you are awesome. Pre dawn weights class while waiting to go for a run?! Superstar!
    @shanaber - oh my gosh that heat sounds impossible. I’m frankly in awe that you manage any running in conditions like that.
    @kgirlhart - hope your dad is on the mend.

Everyone else, sending best wishes and high fives. Thought of @bearly63 today as the big toe is coming through the mesh on my relatively new shoes already and I’m sure they had the same problem. Haven’t seen them around for a while here - hope all ok.

10k in the rain for me today but it was a quite pleasant light drizzle. Couch to 5K with the munchkins also going well...

August total: 63.2m
    August goal: 75m

2/8: 2m interval training
    3/8: 5m
    4/8: rest (6 mile walk)
    5/8: 6.3m
    6/8: Strength training
    7/8: 6.2m
    8/8: rest
    9/8: 8 miles
    10/8: Strength training
    11/8: 6.2 miles
    12/8: rest
    13/8: 6.3 miles
    14/8: Strength training plus 0.75m (C25K with kids)
    15/8: 8 miles
    16/8: Strength training and 1m C25K
    17/8: 6.25 miles
    18/8: Strength training and 1m C25K
    19/8: 6.2 miles

July: 81m
    June: 78m
    May: 80 m
    April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 rest
    8-2 7k easy
    8-3 rest
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 7k moderate
    8-6 7k easy
    8-7 7k easy
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 rest
    8-11 7k slow
    8-12 7k easy
    8-13 11k slow
    8-14 7k easy
    8-15 7k slow
    8-16 7k moderate
    8-17 rest
    8-18 7k easy
    8-19 7k easy

August Total: 109k
    August Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k

2020 Total through July: 1236k / 176.5k per month

Sunny and upper 50s F today. A beautiful day to run, but just didn't seem to have much energy.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 mile trail race
    8/2 - 4 with Skip and Champ
    8/3 – rest day
    8/4 – 6
    8/5 – 5 with Champ
    8/6 – 5
    8/7 – 3 with Champ
    8/8 – 5
    8/9 – 0 drove Skip to college move in
    8/10 – 3
    8/11 – drove home from college move in
    8/12 – 3 with Champ
    8/13 – 0
    8/14 – 5
    8/15 – 10K Scooby Doo Family and Pet Virtual Run
    8/16 – 5 with Champ on trails
    8/17 – 5
    8/18 – 4 with Champ
    8/19 – 5

69 of 115 miles

@Scott6255 nice job making goal

If someone says something to me and I don’t want to talk, I act like I don’t hear them. The last few months we have had a lot of people out and about in the neighborhood so there are a lot more hellos in the morning. Usually I’m alone in morning. I say hello or wave, one girl just refuses to look at me so about 2 weeks ago I stopped saying hello all together and I’m good she doesn’t want to engage that is completely her right.

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    8/2 – 12 miles
    8/4 – 4.38
    8/5 – 11.02
    8/8 – 15.02
    8/9 – 4.01
    8/10 – 4.01
    8/12 – 6.59
    8/13 – 3.26
    8/15 – 15.05
    8/16 – 5.33
    8/18 – 5.01
    8/19 – 4.01

We got some rain overnight and everything smelled so fresh this morning. I did a 15-minute stretch class before I headed out at 6:16 am. Temp was 64F but the humidity was still 96%. I warmed up for a mile on a relatively flat stretch and because of @quilteryoyo’s inspiration, I did hill repeats for the next three miles.

@Scott6255 – Glad you are getting some cooler weather. Great pace this morning and I think you need to up your August goal!

@PastorVincent – Strange comment indeed. I live in a rural area and when I run at home, there is little to no passing traffic so no comments other than the occasional moo from a cow! If I run in the town where I work I’m usually running with friends and it’s usually early morning so I guess that keeps people from commenting too much also.

@Faebert - Glad the kids are still hanging in there!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    He passed last night. I'm so very sad. Like a brother to me. All my cousins are. I have so many. It's just awful that I cannot go to Toronto without having to quarantine for 14 days. Really wish I didn't live here right now.
    Still ran 8 miles today. It wasn't too hot - but was very humid. But I sucked it up. For my cousin.

So sorry for your loss. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 😥 *****HUGS******
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    He passed last night. I'm so very sad. Like a brother to me. All my cousins are. I have so many. It's just awful that I cannot go to Toronto without having to quarantine for 14 days. Really wish I didn't live here right now.
    Still ran 8 miles today. It wasn't too hot - but was very humid. But I sucked it up. For my cousin.

Ah man. So sorry :(
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Condolences @hamsterwheel6. I’m so sorry for your loss x
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Oh no, @hamsterwheel6, I'm so very sorry. My heart goes out to you and especially for this difficult time that you can't travel to be with your family.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent that's so funny to me "It's a water bag!" No duh! I think if it were me, I'd have just said, "Yep!"

The utter surprise in his voice is what got to me. It is like he had been watching me run for a couple years and just finally figured it out.

I am glad things seem to go well with your daughter. It probably will be fine once a regular pattern is established. Getting there might be rough though. Good luck :)
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    08/01-08/18: 20.1
    08/19: 3.6

Weather seems to be improving, but I still need to catch up an early run to be more comfortable.

@hamsterwheel6 So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

exercise.png