Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

1181921232429

Replies

  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I don't believe the numbers. We are being lied to. The CDC and the WHO are master manipulators. Even Dr. Fauci himself was seen not wearing his mask, nor social distancing. Yet, people hang on to his every word. You are being programed, if you believe anything the puppet masters say. Unplug yourself.

    There are many reasons why I disagree with this comment. Aside from any facts I could look up and reference, here's the biggest reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories: human nature.

    We can't even cooperate with our allies and business partners over trade deals and other ordinary things. We disagree with each other over everything, from politics to religion to recycling. Human beings are a mess.

    Yet, a whole bunch of large organizations are supposed to be working together in some shadowy plot to lie to us and program us -- for freaking what reason? People have never been able to organize worldwide over anything for long.

    I wholeheartedly believe people swallow conspiracy theories because:
    (1) it's easier than facing reality, which is not only scary, but shows humans have no control over a lot of things
    (2) you can bond with others who believe in the same conspiracies and feel you're "right" and "know the truth"

    Why has any nation wanted to rule the World? Why have people like Hitler existed? Power and control. If you think this virus is any different, you are blind. This virus was no mistake, it was man made in China. It has been used to spread fear. Is it real, yes. So is the Flu. Lets shut the Country down every Flu season.

    You seriously cannot believe this.

    Let me guess, you believe everything the Government tells you?
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 109 Member
    While using the equipment? No. There is no reason to at my gym. I go at 4 am, there is usually no one there. When walking around in the locker rooms where I might get closer to people? Yes. I have a child with a compromised immune system so I take it more seriously than most people.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 109 Member
    Ah, I should have checked before bothering to respond. This has just become a typical mudslinging political debate. Anyone who makes a medical issue into a political one is brainwashed beyond redemption no matter which side they're on. Everyone speaks in "talking points" now. Not a single original thought. It's so sad and predictable.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I don't believe the numbers. We are being lied to. The CDC and the WHO are master manipulators. Even Dr. Fauci himself was seen not wearing his mask, nor social distancing. Yet, people hang on to his every word. You are being programed, if you believe anything the puppet masters say. Unplug yourself.

    There are many reasons why I disagree with this comment. Aside from any facts I could look up and reference, here's the biggest reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories: human nature.

    We can't even cooperate with our allies and business partners over trade deals and other ordinary things. We disagree with each other over everything, from politics to religion to recycling. Human beings are a mess.

    Yet, a whole bunch of large organizations are supposed to be working together in some shadowy plot to lie to us and program us -- for freaking what reason? People have never been able to organize worldwide over anything for long.

    I wholeheartedly believe people swallow conspiracy theories because:
    (1) it's easier than facing reality, which is not only scary, but shows humans have no control over a lot of things
    (2) you can bond with others who believe in the same conspiracies and feel you're "right" and "know the truth"

    Why has any nation wanted to rule the World? Why have people like Hitler existed? Power and control. If you think this virus is any different, you are blind. This virus was no mistake, it was man made in China. It has been used to spread fear. Is it real, yes. So is the Flu. Lets shut the Country down every Flu season.

    You seriously cannot believe this.

    Let me guess, you believe everything the Government tells you?

    No, I believe science. They are sequencing this virus. It has already been shown that this virus is not man-made. That was months ago.

    Let me guess, you think it was contracted from eating animals?
  • MFPUser73629
    MFPUser73629 Posts: 224 Member
    tittyman1 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I don't believe the numbers. We are being lied to. The CDC and the WHO are master manipulators. Even Dr. Fauci himself was seen not wearing his mask, nor social distancing. Yet, people hang on to his every word. You are being programed, if you believe anything the puppet masters say. Unplug yourself.

    There are many reasons why I disagree with this comment. Aside from any facts I could look up and reference, here's the biggest reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories: human nature.

    We can't even cooperate with our allies and business partners over trade deals and other ordinary things. We disagree with each other over everything, from politics to religion to recycling. Human beings are a mess.

    Yet, a whole bunch of large organizations are supposed to be working together in some shadowy plot to lie to us and program us -- for freaking what reason? People have never been able to organize worldwide over anything for long.

    I wholeheartedly believe people swallow conspiracy theories because:
    (1) it's easier than facing reality, which is not only scary, but shows humans have no control over a lot of things
    (2) you can bond with others who believe in the same conspiracies and feel you're "right" and "know the truth"

    Why has any nation wanted to rule the World? Why have people like Hitler existed? Power and control. If you think this virus is any different, you are blind. This virus was no mistake, it was man made in China. It has been used to spread fear. Is it real, yes. So is the Flu. Lets shut the Country down every Flu season.

    I don't understand how you can declare in one post that we can't know anything for sure about infection rates or fatalities, but then confidently state that the virus was deliberately created in China. Obviously you do think SOME sources of information are reliable, you just prefer ones that are pushing fringe theories and encouraging people to ignore preventative measures.

    I won’t speak for others but for me it’s not a matter of preference, it’s a matter of evaluating reliability and validity. I personally do not trust most news sources regardless of their opinions. Yes, I think most news sources report opinions and not unbiased news.

    Everything is traceable. If you know what OSINT sources are available and are reliable, know what to look for, how to analyze the minutia and weed out what is not relevant, correlate and taxonomize the remaining findings, and some other very cool stuff, attribution begins to appear and the entire story unfolds. I’m not aware of any media sources which have explained this to the general public but this is possible for anyone to do with the right skill set and resources.

    We're talking about a specific set of claims -- that the virus was created in China to deliberately infect people, that it is being used by those in positions of power in the US to consolidate power, and that we cannot trust any of the numbers of people infected or who have died due to it. Do you find the news sources putting forward these claims to be especially reliable and valid?

    If the answer is "I learned it all through open-source intelligence," okay . . . what sources are those and why are they more valid than other sources reporting different information? The decision to "weed out what isn't relevant" isn't one that is made in a vacuum, it can absolutely involve biases, pre-made decisions, and preferences.
    I guess I made this jump off the rails. My bad.

    All I’m saying is that there is much more information available to us than many may know.

    Absolutely some OSINT sources are less reputable than others and each needs scrutinized. And, those who do this professionally are well aware of that. Even the most reputable source overall will have a reputation that is higher in some areas of data and lower in others. The second highest may have a higher reputation than the first in their lower areas. It’s pretty complicated and the consultants who do this professionally make some $.

    When you’re gathering and collecting information you will over collect data that can be irrelevant all together or even associated but not relevant to the research. For example, I may be following a component or piece of firmware through a supply chain and while doing so I may come across someone’s non-work email address. Is it associated with what I’m looking for? It could be. Is it relevant? Probably not and will be weeded out until such time as it is relevant.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I don't believe the numbers. We are being lied to. The CDC and the WHO are master manipulators. Even Dr. Fauci himself was seen not wearing his mask, nor social distancing. Yet, people hang on to his every word. You are being programed, if you believe anything the puppet masters say. Unplug yourself.

    There are many reasons why I disagree with this comment. Aside from any facts I could look up and reference, here's the biggest reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories: human nature.

    We can't even cooperate with our allies and business partners over trade deals and other ordinary things. We disagree with each other over everything, from politics to religion to recycling. Human beings are a mess.

    Yet, a whole bunch of large organizations are supposed to be working together in some shadowy plot to lie to us and program us -- for freaking what reason? People have never been able to organize worldwide over anything for long.

    I wholeheartedly believe people swallow conspiracy theories because:
    (1) it's easier than facing reality, which is not only scary, but shows humans have no control over a lot of things
    (2) you can bond with others who believe in the same conspiracies and feel you're "right" and "know the truth"

    Why has any nation wanted to rule the World? Why have people like Hitler existed? Power and control. If you think this virus is any different, you are blind. This virus was no mistake, it was man made in China. It has been used to spread fear. Is it real, yes. So is the Flu. Lets shut the Country down every Flu season.

    You seriously cannot believe this.

    Let me guess, you believe everything the Government tells you?

    No, I believe science. They are sequencing this virus. It has already been shown that this virus is not man-made. That was months ago.

    Who showed that, exactly?
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited August 2020
    Ah, I should have checked before bothering to respond. This has just become a typical mudslinging political debate. Anyone who makes a medical issue into a political one is brainwashed beyond redemption no matter which side they're on. Everyone speaks in "talking points" now. Not a single original thought. It's so sad and predictable.

    As evidenced by the fact that people are downvoting me on posts that are just linking articles which present facts, simply because the facts do not fit their political agenda. And they are upvoting the people who continue to make claims about COVID-19 policy that I have disproven through the articles I posted -- even though, unlike me, those people have not linked any sources to support their claims. Oh, and they are accusing me of "trying to start an argument" just for having a dissenting opinion, when THEY are the ones who falsely claimed I am a liar.

  • LMBelladonna
    LMBelladonna Posts: 71 Member
    Mandated here, so in the stores, etc. I'm a masker.

    i91vavj0k6a5.jpg
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,080 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I don't believe the numbers. We are being lied to. The CDC and the WHO are master manipulators. Even Dr. Fauci himself was seen not wearing his mask, nor social distancing. Yet, people hang on to his every word. You are being programed, if you believe anything the puppet masters say. Unplug yourself.

    There are many reasons why I disagree with this comment. Aside from any facts I could look up and reference, here's the biggest reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories: human nature.

    We can't even cooperate with our allies and business partners over trade deals and other ordinary things. We disagree with each other over everything, from politics to religion to recycling. Human beings are a mess.

    Yet, a whole bunch of large organizations are supposed to be working together in some shadowy plot to lie to us and program us -- for freaking what reason? People have never been able to organize worldwide over anything for long.

    I wholeheartedly believe people swallow conspiracy theories because:
    (1) it's easier than facing reality, which is not only scary, but shows humans have no control over a lot of things
    (2) you can bond with others who believe in the same conspiracies and feel you're "right" and "know the truth"

    Why has any nation wanted to rule the World? Why have people like Hitler existed? Power and control. If you think this virus is any different, you are blind. This virus was no mistake, it was man made in China. It has been used to spread fear. Is it real, yes. So is the Flu. Lets shut the Country down every Flu season.

    You seriously cannot believe this.

    Let me guess, you believe everything the Government tells you?

    No, I believe science. They are sequencing this virus. It has already been shown that this virus is not man-made. That was months ago.

    Who showed that, exactly?

    I will look it up and come back. It's been a while, so I have to go back and find it.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,080 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I don't believe the numbers. We are being lied to. The CDC and the WHO are master manipulators. Even Dr. Fauci himself was seen not wearing his mask, nor social distancing. Yet, people hang on to his every word. You are being programed, if you believe anything the puppet masters say. Unplug yourself.

    There are many reasons why I disagree with this comment. Aside from any facts I could look up and reference, here's the biggest reason why I don't believe in conspiracy theories: human nature.

    We can't even cooperate with our allies and business partners over trade deals and other ordinary things. We disagree with each other over everything, from politics to religion to recycling. Human beings are a mess.

    Yet, a whole bunch of large organizations are supposed to be working together in some shadowy plot to lie to us and program us -- for freaking what reason? People have never been able to organize worldwide over anything for long.

    I wholeheartedly believe people swallow conspiracy theories because:
    (1) it's easier than facing reality, which is not only scary, but shows humans have no control over a lot of things
    (2) you can bond with others who believe in the same conspiracies and feel you're "right" and "know the truth"

    Why has any nation wanted to rule the World? Why have people like Hitler existed? Power and control. If you think this virus is any different, you are blind. This virus was no mistake, it was man made in China. It has been used to spread fear. Is it real, yes. So is the Flu. Lets shut the Country down every Flu season.

    You seriously cannot believe this.

    Let me guess, you believe everything the Government tells you?

    No, I believe science. They are sequencing this virus. It has already been shown that this virus is not man-made. That was months ago.

    Who showed that, exactly?

    I tried to dig back into all this. It goes all the way back to February/March, and its been hard finding the articles again. Much of what I dug into came from This Week in Virology, which is a group of virologists who have been presenting information on this since January/February. I posted a link to one of the early podcasts that discussed the conspiracy theories. I don't have time to listen again to hear their source (but they are good about backing things up with science. These guys are freaking awesome.). I also linked to an episode of TwiEvo (this week in evolution). They have several episodes following the evolution of this virus. If I can I find my more specific stuff, I will come back. I know someone in my facebook friends has what I'm looking for!

    https://microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-588/

    https://microbe.tv/twievo/twievo-52/
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,080 Member
    This is another interesting link a friend sent. May not be what some are looking for, but I found it interesting. I hope it opens right. It is from May.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kAHSEx9-eIyVIahczH8itHaUm9jI9WX7/view?fbclid=IwAR2uVuZqQFBAahqP8QlPigApZp96kEQYjSBnXZoFfQjg5PnTPYASjzUsp7U
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Masks are a placebo to assuage some of the fear that people have about the virus. I'm fine with that. I'll play along. I would rather this than shut down the economy again.
    But my mom had double lung surgeries and my dad has extremely bad claustrophobia, so they can't wear them, and I don't think we should shame them for it either.
This discussion has been closed.