Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    I weigh 200, am 50 years old, I’m just starting and need encouragement and advice... I have Little energy and find it extremely hard to exercise. But I really want this, I need help

Calorie management is the most important part of losing weight. exercise can be as much as you can manage.
  • Mmoore2364
    Mmoore2364 Posts: 10 Member
    @dietingright welcome! I agree with @cpnknight start with calories and reaching your daily goals there. Any movement is good. Consider seated exercises I am sure they have sessions on YouTube.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    Welcome dietingright!

We’re glad you’re here. I find it easier to move when it’s something I like to do. What do you like to do? I’m a walker with my dog.
    If the weather is bad, I find something on YouTube like walking with Leslie Sansone.

Jill 🙂
  • HappySunflower68
    HappySunflower68 Posts: 6 Member
    Good morning everyone. I started this journey 47 days ago. I lost 6 lbs in the first 2 weeks and have stayed there. Not complaining I could have gone back up :) I have very active RA which limits my exercise however I do what I can when I can. I am 51 married with 4 amazing children and 3 grandchildren :) I am looking forward to this next journey.
  • jm216
    Welcome HappySunflower68!

We’re glad you’re here. Like @cpnknight had recently posted, weight loss is primarily calorie management. I used to hate logging, but now it keeps me in control.

Glad you’re here 😄🌻

Jill
  • dew11252
    dew11252 Posts: 88 Member
    Deep breath. Calm...
    Scales went up.
    Haven't been tracking.
    Overeating.
    Drinking.
    Bored... family wants me to limit....blah, blah...coronavirus
    I call my Uncle in Oregon, my Aunt in Indiana, and go to breakfast with my other uncle a day or two a week.
    I babysit a 5, 7, 11 year old 3 to 4 times a week. Don't know what happens when school starts. If I can be exposed to their germs, I want out of the house!
    But.... most things are closed.

Okay, deep breath
    New day
    Sun is shining
    Wise choices today
    Time on the elliptical
    Do some lymphedema care

I CAN do this🍉🥬
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    @dew11252

Yes, you CAN!
  • daydrem_dw
    Is anyone else doing this on their own, as in you haven't made it known to family and friends that you're actively on this journey to better health, smaller clothes, and self-happiness?

I like the support and accountability of having you here with me but don't want to expose myself to others in my 'real life', even my husband (although I suspect he's figuring it out because I'm not elbow deep in the bag of chips with him). I know they would absolutely 200% support me but I'd then feel like I'm letting them down when I have a poor-choices day or that I should explain myself when I make meal/snack choices like a scoop of ice cream or a second helping of pasta salad ("Don't look at me like that; I exercised and have the available calories."). Know what I mean?

Once the weight is down enough to be noticed, I maybe won't feel this way, but for now it's a solo journey with all of you by my side.
  • cpnknight
    My loved ones are right with me on this but my missus, though supporting me, is a bit of a "feeder".
    She likes to see plates empty but also likes to pile them high too....

I woke this morning and knew I was in for a hard day! Really, really wanted to stuff my face silly. Even though I wasn't really very hungry, I just had the urge to make a huge fry up.
    I used to eat until I couldn't and I think my body is missing the "stuffed to the rafters" feeling.
  • daydrem_dw
    cpnknight wrote: »
    My loved ones are right with me on this but my missus, though supporting me, is a bit of a "feeder".
    She likes to see plates empty but also likes to pile them high too....

I woke this morning and knew I was in for a hard day! Really, really wanted to stuff my face silly. Even though I wasn't really very hungry, I just had the urge to make a huge fry up.
    I used to eat until I couldn't and I think my body is missing the "stuffed to the rafters" feeling.

I grew up in a 'clean your plate' household and am also very familiar with the eat-until-it's-gone-because-it's-too-yummy-to-stop behavior. I'm trying (sometimes with more success than others) to be mindful of what I put on my plate and not going back for more, no matter how loudly the pan is calling to me. I'm counting on it being second nature for me some day.

How did you do today, if you don't mind sharing? Did you make a 'small fry up' instead of your usual huge one?
  • cpnknight
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    How did you do today, if you don't mind sharing? Did you make a 'small fry up' instead of your usual huge one?

I avoided the fry up and ate some Ryvita crackers instead. I did overshoot the calorie budget a bit but I was still in "Deficit" numbers, so not a total failure.

Money was always very tight when I was growing up so we had to eat what was served up and not waste anything. I still have this mentality which doesn't help when the missus piles the plate.
  • jm216
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    Is anyone else doing this on their own, as in you haven't made it known to family and friends that you're actively on this journey to better health, smaller clothes, and self-happiness?

I like the support and accountability of having you here with me but don't want to expose myself to others in my 'real life', even my husband (although I suspect he's figuring it out because I'm not elbow deep in the bag of chips with him). I know they would absolutely 200% support me but I'd then feel like I'm letting them down when I have a poor-choices day or that I should explain myself when I make meal/snack choices like a scoop of ice cream or a second helping of pasta salad ("Don't look at me like that; I exercised and have the available calories."). Know what I mean?

Once the weight is down enough to be noticed, I maybe won't feel this way, but for now it's a solo journey with all of you by my side.

Sometime you’ve got to get things going on your own at first. I totally get it. You’re trying to figure out what works, what doesn’t work, etc. You don’t want to be scrutinized.

Just remember that you don’t have to be perfect... whatever perfect really is...

We’re your secret support group! 🕵️‍♀️ 🕵️‍♂️ 👍
  • cpnknight
    It's Sunday,
    It's 08:30,
    And that means it's SCALES DAY!

What was the scales day reading I hear you ask? Well that is an excellent question.

Last week 330.2 lbs
    This week 326 lbs

A loss of 4.2 lbs that waves goodbye to the 330s and a huge hello to the 320s.....
    I am really looking forward to becoming a "teenager" again when I hit the 3teens!
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    It's Sunday,
    It's 08:30,
    And that means it's SCALES DAY!

What was the scales day reading I hear you ask? Well that is an excellent question.

Last week 330.2 lbs
    This week 326 lbs

A loss of 4.2 lbs that waves goodbye to the 330s and a huge hello to the 320s.....
    I am really looking forward to becoming a "teenager" again when I hit the 3teens!

Excellent! Nice job!
  • daydrem_dw
    Sunday reality check.

Last week: 206.0
    Today: 202.8
    3.2 lbs lost

Crazy, wacko, absolutely nuts week for work -- 63.5 hours at the computer left almost no time or energy for "real exercise". I made the most of it by using the downstairs bathroom instead of the one 10 feet from my home office and pacing in the yard for the 10 minutes it took my dog Maggie to do her business a few times a day.

Focus for this week: DAILY walks (have already scheduled time with a friend for two 2-mile lunchtime walks)
  • lilac1518
    lilac1518 Posts: 1 Member
    I am 225 and 53 at 5'7. Looking for encouragement also to help with motivation. Tried previously but get tired of logging, which I know I need to do.
  • cpnknight
    lilac1518 wrote: »
    I am 225 and 53 at 5'7. Looking for encouragement also to help with motivation. Tried previously but get tired of logging, which I know I need to do.

I am not the most accurate of loggers...I know that I have about a 1000 calorie deficit built into my plan so as long as the amounts I log are "in the ball park" I will lose weight.
    I think I generally over estimate how much I have eaten and, for me at least, it seams to be working at the moment.
  • cpnknight
    I will be away for a few days so will probably drop off the radar until next weekend......