What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Pumpkin is overrated (most winter squashes except for acorn and spaghetti are IMO, although I don't hate the others), and pumpkin spice flavor is bad.

I'm a relatively recent squash convert. I have a lot of fun with spaghetti squash. Acorn is perhaps my least favorite. I like butternut. However. Butternut is hard to cut and peel, and I live alone with two cats who can't dial 911 for me. So I treat the butternut like an oversized potato: pre-heat the oven, poke some holes in the squash, lightly wrap it in foil and let it bake till it's softish and weeping. Then it's child's play to split it open, scoop out the goodness, keep and toast the seeds and feel really fine.

Two things: Try a sturdy cleaver with a thick back edge, and a rubberized dead-blow hammer. Any squash will yield, with ease. Just cut a slight groove in the skin (serrated knife works OK) so the cleaver won't slip. Probably a regular hammer, with a folded towel over the cleaver back, so you're not striking metal on metal, would work, too.

Then, if you like butternuts, look for the squash below (local farmer calls it "Fall Ball" but I don't know that's its proper name), or a long banana-type one of similar color called "Georgia Candy Roaster". They're a little sweeter, but not desperately sweet, rich flavors, moist but not soggy (I think acorn are way too watery or salve-y), really big plump seeds for roasting (and plenty of them). Very tasty. Really big, though.

lzh5jp3phl13.jpg

Thank you for that advice - the squash looks very pretty! I'll definitely go on the hunt for it. Thanks again!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Meat and fruit do not go together in any combination.

Except tomatoes...technically a fruit, I know.

Noooo prosciutto and melon together are life <3

Ok, that reminds me of ONE exception that I'll make...bacon-wrapped dates. Those are good.
    I can't stand apples and pork, or fruit relish on fish, and don't get me started on the pineapple pizza. Just. Don't.

Sadly, I hate dates, so you and I are fruit and meat opposites.

😮....pass them all to me then lol!

Give me your mailing address! (Okay, people aren't really shoving them at me, I just don't buy or order them. But they suck.)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Also, on the fruit-and-meat subject...I love duck. Where I like to vacation in Wisconsin, there is a restaurant that makes a killer roast duck. I order it every time. It comes with a cherry sauce (cause cherries are their thing up there), so I always ask for it without the sauce. They look at me like I'm NUTS. "Do you want it on the side?" No, no cherry sauce with my duck. I get the side-eye the rest of the night. :D

Cherry plus duck is a thing even outside of WI (or even MI, home of the best cherry festival). I am only okay on duck but love the duck plus cherry thing in the right environment. There's a French place here that does a great duck plus cherry dish.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Meat and fruit do not go together in any combination.

Except tomatoes...technically a fruit, I know.

Noooo prosciutto and melon together are life <3

Ok, that reminds me of ONE exception that I'll make...bacon-wrapped dates. Those are good.
    I can't stand apples and pork, or fruit relish on fish, and don't get me started on the pineapple pizza. Just. Don't.

Sadly, I hate dates, so you and I are fruit and meat opposites.

😮....pass them all to me then lol!

Give me your mailing address! (Okay, people aren't really shoving them at me, I just don't buy or order them. But they suck.)

...that's cause anyone in their right mind would never give away their dates🤣

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Also, on the fruit-and-meat subject...I love duck. Where I like to vacation in Wisconsin, there is a restaurant that makes a killer roast duck. I order it every time. It comes with a cherry sauce (cause cherries are their thing up there), so I always ask for it without the sauce. They look at me like I'm NUTS. "Do you want it on the side?" No, no cherry sauce with my duck. I get the side-eye the rest of the night. :D

Cherry plus duck is a thing even outside of WI (or even MI, home of the best cherry festival). I am only okay on duck but love the duck plus cherry thing in the right environment. There's a French place here that does a great duck plus cherry dish.

The truthiest of truths.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I used to love cooked onions in all kinds of dishes. I married a man that hated onions..even cooked ones. So, I stopped adding onions to food and now I cannot stand onions and I can smell onions on people from a mile away! He ruined me!

I react to something present in raw onions but not cooked so I avoid raw onion, pick it out of restaurant food. I do cook with it though.

However I can smell onion at great distance and I swear I have coworkers who munch on raw onion at lunch, it smells so strong.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    also, unpopular but i like prunes

I love prunes as a snack but really have to be mindful of the quantity :D

Love prune juice too. It's one of the few juices I will still drink, pear being another.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I like both pumpkin and "pumpkin spice".
    I think people poop on it because it's overdone this time of year, which is true.
    But, I like actual pumpkin in cookies, bread, cakes, doughnuts and pies.
    And "pumpkin spice" is a nice warm blend of spices that is comforting in the fall.
    Sorry to all the people on your high-horse who shriek "YOU KNOW THERES NO ACTUAL PUMPKIN IN THAT!"
    Yeah, I know. I like it anyway.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I think people poop on it because it's overdone this time of year, which is true.
    And "pumpkin spice" is a nice warm blend of spices that is comforting in the fall.
    Sorry to all the people on your high-horse who shriek "YOU KNOW THERES NO ACTUAL PUMPKIN IN THAT!"

Same here. It should really be called Autumnal spice haha
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options

I have had it in a small Paris restaurant. Like, 5 tables small. One of the BEST meals I have ever had. Went back the next night to have it again. Was a wonderful experience in general. The owners did not speak english and I don't speak french. Made things interesting but they were so sweet.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options

My issue with Pumpkin Spice is that it is overdone. I like it, but would also like other flavors for fall like maple and apple. I just want options lol.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of pumpkin far more than pumpkin spice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Here's what will probably be an unpopular opinion: "Pumpkin Spice Flavor" is not just one thing. In practice, it's a combination of flavors, in a context. Sometimes, pumpkin is included, sometimes not. Sometimes it involves serious oversweetening (for my taste), but not always. (Sometimes the sweetness will involve molasses, which has a strong flavor of its own). Sometimes, it seems, a milky/creamy flavor element is added, in foods that don't natively have that flavor element. Nearly every food producer is using a different combination of spices, in different proportions - usually some combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, ginger, allspice, maybe others.

Since it's not all the same thing, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not - or at least, the goodness level varies. Sure, it's possible to enjoy the whole category, or hate the whole category, by loving/hating some crucial common ingredient. But mostly, this whole "pumpkin spice flavor" craze is about emotion, nostalgia, etc., and not about nuances of taste.

Mostly, in the abstract, I don't like prepackaged spice blends. I prefer individual spices, because variability in these is fun and enjoyable to me.
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Interesting, and I'm sure true. I always think of pumpkin spice flavor as including (on its own) no sweetening and no pumpkin, but the spices in pumpkin pie (some combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and perhaps ginger). Many of the things it is added too are overly sweet (and would be with or without the spice), which is why to me it, like "eggnog" flavored things, which are also normally super sweet, is associated with an unpleasant sweet taste, although the spices themselves are great. I hate sweetened coffee and always have (not sure why), and to me pumpkin spice coffee suggests sweetness, but even without the sugar and milk wouldn't meld into coffee, which is why I think my kneejerk reaction is against, as that's my main association.

I like a few pumpkin-adjacent foods, specifically pumpkin bread, which usually does not have the spice in any strong way IMO, and the specific pumpkin cheesecake we make in my family (my sister either makes or requests it, and it does use some form of the spice mix), and don't have any aversion to pumpkin pie but just find many other pies preferable (for Thanksgiving my favorite pie is apple, which I like a lot, although I know many here do not, but I've been experimenting with non pie desserts since my prideful effort to do the perfect pie crust lost out to my baking is too much of a pain to be worth it if one is going to eat little of the final result for calorie reasons impulses -- I like cooking more than baking but lots of people love baking so when hosting a dinner I find lots like to volunteer to bring dessert).
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Cake stinks. My birthday was this past weekend and I requested a pumpkin pie 😊
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »

Not a cake fan except frosting and no pumpkin !! I got a vegan cheesecake slice :)
    I do not care for apple pie, pumpkin pie or any fruit dessert. Mousse is not that great either. Boston Cream filling is gross. Vanilla or chocolate rich cream is way better !
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »

I have mixed feelings on cake :o
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I don’t think Chobani yogurt is good. It’s not true greek yogurt...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options

I didn't like chobani when I tried it. I like Fage 0% and the Vons/Pavilions/Safeway version....Open Nature. And the Trader Joe's version (which, let's face it, is probably Fage :))
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

Not sure why it's not "true" Greek yogurt, but I alternate between Chobani and Fage depending on which is on sale that week. I think both are good, especially with some fresh berries.