Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How often should you bathe/shower?

zamphir66
zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
This question is at the center of a recent NPR article: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/09/26/917019912/in-the-era-of-hygiene-clean-author-makes-the-case-for-showering-less

Dr. James Hamblin, the author of "Clean," argues that many of us are showering too often, possibly to the detriment of our skin's microbiome.

Me, I shower just about every day. In the summer, maybe twice some days. Even if I don't "feel" particularly dirty, I just enjoy the feeling of being naked with water flowing over me so much that I need it about every day. It's almost spiritual.

On days when I don't shower, it's either a) I'm mentally way down, or b) I'm completely exhausted, but then being that tired and skipping the shower causes me to feel mentally down, so I try super hard not to let b happen.

So what say you all?

Replies

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2020
    If you are obese and sweat a lot like me, showering at least once each day is mandatory.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    People stink and that's a level playing field. My folkaronies always say that fish and company stink after 3 days. :p
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    Twice a day. One will be a full shower, the other will be a quick freshen up.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    People stink and that's a level playing field. My folkaronies always say that fish and company stink after 3 days. :p

Applause to Folkaronies.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    The $600 water bill dictates how many showers I and family get a day or for how many minutes they are. It sucks.

A month?

Where are you and how many people in the place for a $600 water bill?
  • Diatonic12
    edited September 2020

s131951 wrote: »

Applause to Folkaronies.

ROFL. I'm just carrying on in the family tradition. I can't help myself. :D

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    The $600 water bill dictates how many showers I and family get a day or for how many minutes they are. It sucks.

A month?

Where are you and how many people in the place for a $600 water bill?

Two month bill, sorry I should’ve stated. It’s still a lot of money. There are only three of us in the house. Our new house came with a bunch of well established citrus trees. We are trying to keep the trees alive, but they ain’t looking too happy right now.

San Diego. The price of water keeps going up.

Water conservation is a real problem.

I happened across that article posted in the OP a few days ago and thought, “Oh hell yeah”, I have an excuse for not taking regular showers. Lol
  • Diatonic12
    @s131951 The String Theory not to be confused with the Stink Theory. There's someone in my small corner of the world with their nose perpetually in the air. My grandpaw used to say, 'They smell the stink, kids. They smell the stink'. They figure they're a cut above everyone else. This person is still alive but Grandpaw is buried right next to their relatives. When I put flowers on his grave I say 'Look Grandpaw', it's a level playing field now. o:)
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    @s131951 The String Theory not to be confused with the Stink Theory. There's someone in my small corner of the world with their nose perpetually in the air. My grandpaw used to say, 'They smell the stink, kids. They smell the stink'. They figure they're a cut above everyone else. This person is still alive but Grandpaw is buried right next to their relatives. When I put flowers on his grave I say 'Look Grandpaw', it's a level playing field now. o:)

I've encountered that as well.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    "You should shower every day." -- your coworkers