Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How often should you bathe/shower?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Anecdote, speaking of folkaronies: My dad told a story about a woman in Ironwood, MI, where he was born, a bit of rough'n'ready mining town at the time. He recounted her saying she couldn't understant how anyone could wash their hair every week, because she only did it once a year, and it always gave her *such* a headache. 😆🤣

Just to add to that story, while she could be just kind of hilariously quirky, at the same time, could be one of those poor suckers who have reactions to water or heat.

My kid has a rare disorder and through support groups for her, I've gotten to meet a lot of folks who have some oddball reactions. Some folks who get headaches or rashes from heat and/or cold, so showering can be a nightmare (especially because getting cold because of lukewarm water was still enough to set off a reaction). Some folks who react to some additive in their city's water supply.

My kid has problems with showering herself. I can say that for her, and most I know like this, they find other ways to clean themselves, like dry shampoos used on the hair (like you often see for bed bound elderly), because taking a shower is so awful for them.

I'm sorry that your child struggles with that - that sounds very difficult.

At the same time, in Ironwood in around 1925 or so, before central heating and cooling among other things, I think someone with such sensitivities would've shown rather dramatic signs quite apart from hair-washing.

One of the benefits of modern life and modern conveniences is - I think - an opportunity for people with a wider range of health conditions or sensitivities to live and thrive. Life in those other places and times was pretty harsh.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Anecdote, speaking of folkaronies: My dad told a story about a woman in Ironwood, MI, where he was born, a bit of rough'n'ready mining town at the time. He recounted her saying she couldn't understant how anyone could wash their hair every week, because she only did it once a year, and it always gave her *such* a headache. 😆🤣

Just to add to that story, while she could be just kind of hilariously quirky, at the same time, could be one of those poor suckers who have reactions to water or heat.

My kid has a rare disorder and through support groups for her, I've gotten to meet a lot of folks who have some oddball reactions. Some folks who get headaches or rashes from heat and/or cold, so showering can be a nightmare (especially because getting cold because of lukewarm water was still enough to set off a reaction). Some folks who react to some additive in their city's water supply.

My kid has problems with showering herself. I can say that for her, and most I know like this, they find other ways to clean themselves, like dry shampoos used on the hair (like you often see for bed bound elderly), because taking a shower is so awful for them.

Interesting. Two centuries, perhaps, then, in the US? I still think things like REA would've had a meaningful impact.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited October 2020
    For about 10 years, 4 showers a day for shingles pain. Now, during pandemic, every 2-3 days.
    ALWAYS scrub feet thoroughly immediately after mowing barefoot or in flip flops! I hate green feet!
    (A shower, too)
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member

excuse me for interrupting and i don't mean to be rude, but does your child have severe cold or heat related urticaria? i have CU - that's why i'm asking...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    How often should you bathe/shower is not going to be universal.

Older people whose skin tends to dry out and who may not be very mobile or active or go outside much ( like the ones I used to visit doing community nursing ) - 2 or 3 times a week was fine. Basic hand basin wash in between.

Young active sports players in hot climates - more often.

Me personally - every morning with very few exceptions. Once in a blue moon, stay at home pyjamas all day, skip the shower.
    Occasionally 2 showers if going out to dinner after a hot day or suchlike.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Twice a day in the summer, but you can hardly call them all showers, they are mostly just a minute or two to rinse the sweat off with a hasty go-over with a bath poof and soap. Every other day or so in the winter. I don't work out yet, but if I were to work up a sweat, I would at least hop in long enough to rinse down.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I shower/bathe @4x per week. I tend to have dry skin and prefer to not dry it out further. I tend to also not soap my less dirty places unless necessary but am a firm believer in exfoliating.

While we're on the topic, I don't use shampoo either. I quit using it over two years ago. My hair has always been thin. My hair is actually thicker now and generally looks better than before. (I do hand scrub my hair and scalp a couple times a week. )
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Get in there and take a shower. Blow the stink off.

Or

jegaqc919jvp.png
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    The $600 water bill dictates how many showers I and family get a day or for how many minutes they are. It sucks.

A month?

Where are you and how many people in the place for a $600 water bill?

Two month bill, sorry I should’ve stated. It’s still a lot of money. There are only three of us in the house. Our new house came with a bunch of well established citrus trees. We are trying to keep the trees alive, but they ain’t looking too happy right now.

San Diego. The price of water keeps going up.

Water conservation is a real problem.

I happened across that article posted in the OP a few days ago and thought, “Oh hell yeah”, I have an excuse for not taking regular showers. Lol

If you have a sump pump, you can turn it off for 2 days and then turn it back on and point the hose towards the trees. Or if you can get a rain barrel or grey water system? Might helpnyou save money in the long run.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I shower daily. I may shower twice depending on the situation. I remember basic training when we were lucky to get two minutes to shower a day. I felt disgusting the entire time. I can't go to sleep without showering. My Fiancee's son will go days without showering, and he stinks, but she acts like she doesn't care.

Thank you for your service!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member