Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Which weight loss method is the most successful?

threewinsthreewins Member Posts: 772 Member Member Posts: 772 Member
I thought that we'd do a comparison of the stats of various weight loss methods. I've never seen a proper comparison done. Let's change that.

First for comparison is Noom, the weight loss app where you get to chat with a 'coach' who will chat with you. Read a review here https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/what-you-need-know-about-weight-loss-app-noom-according-ncna996026

Almost 80% lost weight.

Any other weight loss methods you know about?

Replies

• lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,940 Member Member Posts: 5,940 Member
    Like others have said, it really varies based on person. That's why I think understanding that it's calories in/calories out is so great. Once you know that's all it is, then you can figure out what works for your personality and lifestyle and so will be enjoyable and sustainable. Or if really not sure you can try different things to see if they work for you and not worry if it turns out some approach is not a good fit.
  • CharlieICURNCharlieICURN Member Posts: 85 Member Member Posts: 85 Member
    I did Noom.
    It’s not a “diet” it’s just a way to help you change your lifestyle by addressing various reasons why you may overeat and all of that stuff.
    I’ve lost almost 70lbs and have maintained that weight loss for 2 years. I did so many different diets but that is the only program that worked for me. It helped me get better control over emotional and stress eating and helped me learn healthier habits.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,129 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,129 Member
    I agree with others that what works best is finding an approach that meshes happily with our own personal preferences and personality . . . and that trendy named diets can be a bad way to zero in on such an approach. I like "gradually remodel your eating" as a method, personally. I did this through about 50 pounds of weight loss in just under a year, and 4+ years of weight maintenance since:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

But different things work for different people.

FWIW, if one wants a structured comparison of various named diets/eating approaches, the US News and World Report's comparison may be worth taking a look at:

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet

As that sort of thing goes, it's a pretty level-headed assessment, less "gee whiz" or trend-following than many comparisons.
  • IronIsMyTherapyIronIsMyTherapy Member Posts: 463 Member Member Posts: 463 Member
    The one you enjoy. You'll stick to it.
  • Dogmom1978Dogmom1978 Member Posts: 1,343 Member Member Posts: 1,343 Member
    I agree with everyone here; the one you can personally stick to and that you enjoy.

Currently, I am set to lose 1 lb a week and eat 1500 calories a day. I struggle to stay at 1500 without exercising. So I eat what I want (weigh it and track it) in sensible portion sizes and exercise (weights and cardio) to help me lose weight. For me, it is sustainable for life because I did not remove foods that I enjoy. For someone else, they might hate my diet/exercise plan.
  • 4Phoenix4Phoenix Member Posts: 135 Member Member Posts: 135 Member
  • MadisonMolly2017MadisonMolly2017 Member Posts: 6,856 Member Member Posts: 6,856 Member
    Like @CharlielCURN
    I lost ~35 lbs on my own...then I joined NOOM and lost the final 36-43lbs.

I’m still a member as I’ve got a fantastic coach who is a great help with maintenance.

Note: I also like to do things my own way, so I have logged my food in MyNetDiary for most of the 3 years I’ve been on NOOM. I like the data that gives me.

The UAC & Building Healthy Habit groups + the Maintenance discussion strands + the monthly exercise tracking discussions by @JDMac82 Have all contributed to my 2 year 1 month maintenance after a lifetime of obesity.

I just keep tackling the next thing I need to focus upon & find the resources to help me. Currently Insight Timer (guided meditations) & looking into how carbs effect my glucose adversely.
  • cppeacecppeace Member Posts: 749 Member Member Posts: 749 Member
    The one you can stick to is best for you.
  • jo_nzjo_nz Member Posts: 490 Member Member Posts: 490 Member
    I think that noom figure is possibly a little misleading.

I did the noom free trial, but I hated it. I found the "coaching" condescending and annoying so cancelled before the trial was over. I certainly didn't lose any weight on it, but I bet I am not part of that statistic.

I don't argue that the information they give is helpful, but I didn't like how it was presented - I could get the same in here in a more matter-of-fact tone. For free.