Binge eating

Options

Replies

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    A cheat meal is something that people have once in a while and NOT a meal where they can’t move afterwards.

A cheat meal is eating something high calorie and not good for you (like ice cream), but it’s NOT eating the entire 1/2 gallon.

I think you need to do some research into what the normal cheat meal consists of

"Normal" of course is subjective, as is "cheat meal". It is all very personal and not something that can, I think, be researched.

Myself, I do not have "cheat meals" but instead have "treats" and I quite enjoy, very very occasionally, allowing myself to eat a whole tub of ice cream.

Mind you, 1/2 a gallon sounds a lot and I don't think in the UK you can buy it in that big a pack without going for catering sizes and instead I am thinking more of the 480ml size container.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I only binge when I plan on doing it. Outside of AYCE places, I will goto carousel sushi places and binge until i'm satisfied. Sometimes that could be 20 plates of sushi or more plus udon plus desserts. So that could be counting as i'm paying a-la cart.

There are other times where I have unlimited amounts of food for free such as family gathering that I don't binge at. At these family events, there are usually tons of food left over. However if these event's fall on the week that I am dieting, I just bring my own food. I can sit in a room where everyone is eating pizza, chicken wings, and all kinds of greasy food and just eat my own food without the craving of just having 1 slice of pizza or chicken wing. I have junk food around the house at all times that I don't touch. My wife eats them occasionally whenever she has wants to. It doesn't bother me that she is eating it or give me urge to just take a bite.

Same with office events before the coronavirus happened. I will goto happy hour and not drink or have any of the bar food if doesn't coincide with my diet plans even though all the food and drinks are free.

I have also cut off food in an instant once I found out it was negatively affecting my diet. Examples are those 1.1k containers of cashews from costco. Before I tracked calories, I would eat an 8 ounce cup of it a day because it taste good and nuts were suppose to be healthy. I would buy multiple containers when they are on sale so they are always available since I used to go though them so fast. Once I found out how high of calories that 1 8 ounce cup was, I literally stopped eating them that day. So right now, I have 3 brand new unopen containers of cashews that is about to expire on 11/2/2020. I started eating them again since I don't want to waste food, but I am eating just 10 gram or 60 calories a day now since it is healthy fat, and eating less avocado.
    Yesterday meal as i mentioned, i didn't eat nearly as much as the time before. Reason being my wife and I was engaged in a interesting conversation so there was a lot of time just spent talking. Also I know eating until I couldn't walk like last time is not a good thing so I was waiting for food to digest before getting another plate giving myself time to digest to see if i was still really hungry. It just turns out that as this would have been the first time in 3 week I was going to have dessert I wanted to get ice cream and cake. Unfortunately due to all the chatting, time just got away from us. When i went to get my first 2 pieces of cake, I though we had about 15 minutes left. And as I said, i thought the cheese cake tasted good and I wanted to get 2 more pieces and ice cream . However when I got back to my seat, the host said time was up. So instead of throwing the food away, I just quickly ate them.

I know lots of people will say i'm in denial, and i'm tired of arguing or justifying myself as that was never the point of the thread. I know I have an iron will and I don't do anything unless I want to regardless of if it will make family members or co-workers uncomfortable. I just never saw it as something will be detrimental to my health. But I am not so closed minded that i'm not going to do research on it. I won't eat till I am sitting out side of the restaurant cause i can't move again cause i'm not that naive to think that that was ok, but I'm also not going to stop having my "cheat" meals. Not going to use the word binge since everyone reacts so negatively to it. lol
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    globalc00 wrote: »
    But I am not so closed minded that i'm not going to do research on it. I won't eat till I am sitting out side of the restaurant cause i can't move again cause i'm not that naive to think that that was ok, but I'm also not going to stop having my "cheat" meals. Not going to use the word binge since everyone reacts so negatively to it. lol

Ah yes, this needs to be said. "Binge eating" (etymology) is an identified medical term for an extreme eating disorder. Using this word for what you do is somewhat inappropriate and can be confusing when discussing with other people (especially those that do suffer from it).

At the end of the day, you have to do what you think it is best for you! What works best for you. Only you know your body, what it can handle and how it responds to stimuli. So use the feedback that other people are giving you here and find out whether you need to change or alter your habits accordingly.

Hope that helps, cheers..C:

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you also have some impulses around getting your money’s worth, and putting yourself into a very uncomfortable position in order to do so. That’s something I might investigate about myself.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    globalc00 wrote: »
    I only binge when I plan on doing it.

I guess I'm just interested in why you plan on doing it in the first place?

(I know it's not what you were asking, but it is interesting to question yourself?)
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Side note- I used to do something similar when my routine was too strict. Do you allow for treats and food you genuinely enjoy when you’re tracking your calories strictly? That might alleviate the desire to gorge yourself on your days off.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    There are not many things that are good in huge excess. I have often banked calories to enjoy a bigger meal on the weekends. It helps with my compliance. What it sounds like you are doing is a very extreme version of it.

Oh and I think the word you are looking for is gorging not binging.

It sounds like if you slowed WAY down and fully appreciated the calories instead of making it an effort to get as much food down as possible your feeling of fullness would have a chance to kick in and then you would have less calories to offset with your iron will.

I prefer to use the word "splurging" myself. Never liked the term "cheat meal" and binging has some negative connotations with it, as seen by all the responses here.
  • globalc00
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @briscogun @novusdies I agree, i'm going to stop saying binge since it probably isn't exactly what I am doing. But my form of dieting is to eat in a deficit to have a nice meal much like what you guys do. My opinion is eating at maintenance will just lead to weight gain. There are always going to be occasions that you will go over your calories. I just prefer to be ahead of the game instead of trying to play catch up after the fact.

@msalicia07 I do not cram as much in as quickly as possible, and I am enjoying what I am eating. How these hot pot places work is you get a small bowl of soup base of your choice and you go get what ever veggies, meat you wan to cook. So you are not getting 2 lbs of food at a time to boil at once. You are getting small dishes cooking, eating, getting back up and going back to see what else you want. So first plate, i may want some beef, then I may want some shrimp, then I may want some veggies. But there is a decision making process every time to say yep, that taste good and I like some more or that looks good, I want to try that. This time, they had wax apple as one of their fruit, So i got 2 apples worth of that. Why, because I like how it taste. I have stated before in other forms and thread.
    Do I allow for treats when i'm dieting? Typically no. Trying to go on a deficit on 2000 calorie diet is already hard enough if you are also trying to eat healthy. If you want to eat your fruit severing, veggies, and protein, and carb. There is very little room for treats. For example, below is 1600 calories. For me personally, I am starving if I only ate that.
    10oz chicken breast 480 calories
    200g avocado 320 calories
    2 apple 180 calories
    400g broccoli 100 calories
    100g bread 310 calories
    150g of cooked rice 210 calories
    Of course, there are exceptions I am willing to make. Like if my wife said she just wants to go out to a fancy restaurant for some reason and her mind is set on it. Then I will go and have a nice meal with her and not worry about the diet. Happy wife happy life right? I just am not willing to make those exceptions for co-workers or aunts and uncles.

@spyro88 Why do I plan having nice meal or cheat meal or splurging? I was taught that planning is critical part of success. You have to plan for retirement, vacation, diet, dates, and many other things. So why wouldn't I plan for my cheat meal? For me, planing means I don't wake up the next day with regret of eating all those calories. I plan on not worrying about how many calories I am eating. I plan on not trying to burn off more calories after these meals.

@gallicinvasion These hot pot places cost 14.60 USD total. We don't tip where I live. It doesn't take much to get my moneys worth so that's not it. In fact, when my wife went on a short vacation down south few weeks ago. We went to one of the best AYCE places I have ever been too. It cost 3x the amount and there was no time limit. However on that day, I did not get anywhere close to stuffing myself. Why? Because I didn't want too. Why? Because we had plans for some HIIT later that night. lol. So being around food doesn't make me lose control of my impulses or feeling the need to get my moneys worth.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have it all figured out then.

One final thought- you mentioned you don’t allow for treats because you have little wiggle room with your calories and would be hungry otherwise. However, you manage to fit in these “scheduled binges” as you’ve called them to maintain your weight. Personally, I would divide that additional 5,000+ calories into my daily life to have more balance. We’re all trying to play the long game here, presumably :)
  • globalc00
    edited October 2020
    Options
    True, but for me, going to the park every week for a get away isn't as enjoyable as going over seas for vacation. :smile:

And I don't think I have it all figured out. I just don't think I'm in denial of a problem that I need to seek professional help.
  • globalc00
    Options
    @igfrie Thanks for sharing. BMI is a useless measurement in my opinion and many other peoples. While it works for most people, it doesn't work for people with large amounts of muscle mass. The only number I care about is body fat%, my blood works numbers, my cardio vascular health and if I have enough strength to do things someone of my size should be able to do. Ideally, like to exceed the average on the strength aspect.

If you read my many post, I concede that I may have used the wrong word to start the thread. If I would have started the thread with "planning cheat meal and knowing when to stop eating when your full", the direction of this thread could have been much different. I am not a binger and have no reason to believe that one day i'll be looking back asking my self what happened. I am eating because I feel hungry.

Really, what I want to know is how much time do you need to give food to digest before the signals are sent to your brain letting you know that you are full. When i'm full, I stop eating. The one time I ate till couldn't move, I didn't eat dinner or anything else that day. This week even though I ate 4000+ calories, I ate dinner and before bed meal that day because I was hungry.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The often quoted number is around 20 minutes.

I've felt ill a few times after eating. Once finishing a (for me) huge restaurant meal (it was delicious, and of course I've been taught to empy my plate), and once at a Christmas family dinner (dessert buffet). Nauseous to the point of needing 15 minutes in the cold air outside to 'recover'. Ever since, I recognise the feeling in my stomach right before reaching 'breaking' point and I stop dead in my tracks (not a single bite more, even if it means leaving a nearly full plate), and I've never felt nauseous from overeating since then.
    YMMV, I think we have very different food habits (I prefer daily treats and AYCE restaurants don't appeal to me) and we're from different food cultures as well. But for me, extra large meals mess with my hunger signals. I don't know if it's because of stretching of the stomach or simply out of whack hunger and satiety hormones, but I'm always hungrier the following meal times.