Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am not following a particular low carb plan... I just try to eat around 20 grams of carbs per day...this would technically mean I am in the induction phase of Atkins. As it stands I love how I feel and how much I can eat without gaining weight and even losing it. I am considering staying in this phase forever (I will introduce more veggies)... do you all think there might be a drawback to doing this? I will consider having refeeds if I absolutely must but I hate the way fruits, pastas and bread make me feel (always hungry and never statiated).

What do you all think? I personally think it's sustainable in the long run if I just up the number of calories I eat once I get to my goal weight.

It sounds like you've found a good balance! If it's working for you, then I say keep doing what you're doing! In Atkins, you can stay on 20 net carbs as long as 1) You have energy, 2) You're not bored with the food, 3) You have more weight to lose. When you climb the Atkins ladder, to work through the phases, you're supposed to add in foods in small increments, like 5 carbs a week, starting with nuts and berries. I'm in long-term Induction, like you, so I've never been through all of the phases.

You look fantastic...you must be close to your goal weight!
  • pork_belly
    Options

What do you all think? I personally think it's sustainable in the long run if I just up the number of calories I eat once I get to my goal weight.

If it works for you then there is no reason to change it. Keep up the good work!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am not following a particular low carb plan... I just try to eat around 20 grams of carbs per day...this would technically mean I am in the induction phase of Atkins. As it stands I love how I feel and how much I can eat without gaining weight and even losing it. I am considering staying in this phase forever (I will introduce more veggies)... do you all think there might be a drawback to doing this? I will consider having refeeds if I absolutely must but I hate the way fruits, pastas and bread make me feel (always hungry and never statiated).

If eating the way your currently eat is not boring and you feel you have plenty of variety - then go for it!!! That is even what Dr Atkins says in the book (2002 edition - the last one he wrote himself)......................
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    Thanks you all! I am 2 lbs away from my goal then I am switching to maintenance and toning. I have never been so happy eating in my entire entire life until I found this way of eating and living. Usually trying to get fit and lose weight has been a miserable, miserable process for me. Now I wake up excited to see what I can eat: my favs are whole chickens (yes I eat whole chickens), steak and I found this fish called yellow Croaker which I love. This (Atkins/low carb) changed it all for me, I am now a happy, energetic and less hungry human. SO thanks for all the helpful comments!!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    OK, I am seriously confused here. I know we are supposed to have 3 cups of vegetables a day, which is fine. But it also says 12-15 g of the daily carbs should come from vegetables. I am getting my 3 cups, but am only having about 7 - 9 g of carbs coming from the vegetables ?!?!? NET from veggies is more like 4. How do you get in the carbs without going over the 3 daily cups?

Thanks in advance! ;)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    OK, I am seriously confused here. I know we are supposed to have 3 cups of vegetables a day, which is fine. But it also says 12-15 g of the daily carbs should come from vegetables. I am getting my 3 cups, but am only having about 7 - 9 g of carbs coming from the vegetables ?!?!? NET from veggies is more like 4. How do you get in the carbs without going over the 3 daily cups?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Choose smaller amounts of the higher carb vegetables on the list............or just eat more than 3 cups. Vegetables never hurt anyone.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance! ;)
    Choose smaller amounts of the higher carb vegetables on the list............or just eat more than 3 cups. Vegetables never hurt anyone.
    ^^This

Have some yellow squash or carrots or tomatoes. They'll get your carb count up pretty quickly as well as being just plain yummy.
  • martinah4
    Options

Thanks in advance! ;)
    ^^This

Have some yellow squash or carrots or tomatoes. They'll get your carb count up pretty quickly as well as being just plain yummy.
  • martinah4
    Options

Thanks in advance! ;)
    ^^This

Assuming that you're eating 2 cups of lettuce greens as a salad, then are you also having veggies in your salad? Tomato's, onions, cucumbers? Then you could have broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zuchini, more onions, ...you get the idea! I have trouble staying within 12-15, when I have salad and veggies for lunch, and then higher carb veggies with dinner. And the little things count, too. You can make a Denver Omelet for breakfast that would have green peppers, onions and tomatos in it. Lots of options! Good luck!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I just had a plate filled with roasted cauliflower and broccoli and some of my husband's Puerto Rican style stewed chicken breast (which is suprisingly low carb) I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stuffed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AKosky585
    Options
    So technically I could end up with more than 3 cups total veggies per day, which is fine? I usually dont have any veggies on my salad because I thought it would up my veggies too much, and it said to spread them out. Good to know it is ok to go over (from what I now understand) to get in healthy carbs and of course more fiber!

Thanks!!!

Thanks in advance! ;)
    ^^This

Assuming that you're eating 2 cups of lettuce greens as a salad, then are you also having veggies in your salad? Tomato's, onions, cucumbers? Then you could have broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zuchini, more onions, ...you get the idea! I have trouble staying within 12-15, when I have salad and veggies for lunch, and then higher carb veggies with dinner. And the little things count, too. You can make a Denver Omelet for breakfast that would have green peppers, onions and tomatos in it. Lots of options! Good luck!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    MommaToSam- YAY for the WF visit!!!:drinker: Could I get the recipe for that chicken?

AKosky585- As long as you stay at 20 grams of net carb you are in induction no matter the cups of veggies, although be careful with the entries by other members for foods I usually try to use the MFP admin entered ones for veggies since some MFP members tweak the info they input for foods and they are far from accurate. Also, some people can even maintain ketosis up to 50+ grams of effective carb just depends on your body.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity. What sort of daily calorie intake are you atkins people having? I know its not ment to be something you focus on on atkins, but I worry a certain amount will halt my loss. I am averaging 1500 per day (some days less some more) but as I am back on induction, I am always staying under 20 g of carbs.
    If I go for less calories, will this speed up the loss or slow it down?

Any of you with any tips?

Thanks

Jaycee xx
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Can you guys check out the thread I made about going out to dinner tonight? Maybe you can give me some pointers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/337749-help-me-find-a-low-carb-friendly-dinner-choice-from-this-men
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
    1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

M2S, Thanks for this recipe. I made a half batch last night and the wife and I loved them. We're both big fans of cheesecake.

We baked them in a the smaller cups that you'd use for tarts so that they'd cook and cool faster. We might try making a crust with almond flour and cinnamon next time.

Edit: As for restaurant suggestions, if you've gone a couple weeks without cheating, I'd say go ahead and order some pasta if you like. Just don't go crazy with the calories. You will gain some water weight, but a you'd lose that in less than a week. I like to have a high carb meal every 2 weeks.

If you have cheated or don't even want to mess with carbs, it looks like they have a large selection of salads. Good luck!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Lockef - I'm so glad you guys liked the recipe! Last ime I had one, I cut up a strawberry to go with it. It was a yummy combo.

Last week was pretty crappy for me eating-wise. I gained three pounds, but buckled down during the weekend and lost FOUR!!! So it all came off, plus some more. Still, I don't want to be too risky at this point. I will be having a planned high carb day towards the end of the month. The salads or one of the chicken dishes will probably be what I go for. I'll probably skip on the wine because I haven't drank any alcohol in over 6 weeks, and I've always been a light weight anyway. Two glasses of wine and I'm semi-trashed lol. Plus, I need to drive back home. Am I rambling? Yes I am. Ok bye now ha ha ah
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Haha... Looks like you got it figured out. :laugh:

I wanted to add some blueberries or banana extract to them, but my wife didn't want them. She likes them plain. She ate about 4 mini ones in a bowl with some cool whip light (the half batch made about 10 mini-muffins). We're definately making them again very soon.
  • AKosky585
    Options
    I LOVE cheesecake. How long do you bake these for, and at what temperature?
    2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
    1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

M2S, Thanks for this recipe. I made a half batch last night and the wife and I loved them. We're both big fans of cheesecake.

We baked them in a the smaller cups that you'd use for tarts so that they'd cook and cool faster. We might try making a crust with almond flour and cinnamon next time.

Edit: As for restaurant suggestions, if you've gone a couple weeks without cheating, I'd say go ahead and order some pasta if you like. Just don't go crazy with the calories. You will gain some water weight, but a you'd lose that in less than a week. I like to have a high carb meal every 2 weeks.

If you have cheated or don't even want to mess with carbs, it looks like they have a large selection of salads. Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The Whoosh Fairy came for a visit last night! I kept my carbs to 29 net yesterday and lost 2.2 pounds overnight. Whoo hoo! Hopefully, she'll hang around for another day or two because I still have another 1.4 pounds until I'm back where I started from.

I've really got to hit the grocery store for some cream cheese so I can make those mini cheesecakes tomorrow on my day off. I already have some almond flour I can use as a crust, too.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    fallin off the wagon, crawlin back up, just posting to keep you guys in my topics so i can find you!