Immediate Gratification

That emotional hit of happiness that hits you when eat without delay. What tools have you used to slow things down and keep your head engaged?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I could watch those cats for days.

https://positivepsychology.com/instant-gratification/

" A desire to avoid delay: it’s uncomfortable to engage in self-denial, and all of our instincts are to seize any opportunity for pleasure as it comes.

Age: as you have likely already noted, younger people have a tendency to be more impulsive, while older people with more life experience are better able to delay and temper their urges.

Imagination: choosing delayed gratification requires the ability to envision your desired future if you forego your current desire; if you cannot paint a vivid picture of your future, you have little motivation to plan for it.

Cognitive capacity: higher intelligence is linked to a more forward-thinking perspective; those who are born with more innate intelligence have a tendency to see the benefits of delayed gratification and act in accordance.

Impulsiveness: some of us are simply more impulsive or spontaneous than others, which makes delaying gratification that much more difficult; this trait is associated with problems like substance abuse and obesity.

Emotion regulation: individual differences in emotion regulation also impact our tendency towards instant vs. delayed gratification; emotional distress makes us lean towards choices that will immediately improve our mood, and those who have developed emotion regulation problems are especially at risk.

Mood: even those with healthy emotion regulation can be led astray by their current mood; we all experience bad moods, boredom, and impatience—all of which serve to make immediate desires that much more seductive.

Anticipation: finally, the experience of anticipation can influence our decisions to delay gratification or seek it immediately in either direction; humans generally like to anticipate positive things and dislike the anticipation of negative things, which can lead to decisions to put things off or to engage in them as quickly as possible to seek pleasure or avoid discomfort."
  • Diatonic12
    edited October 2020
    https://www.precisionnutrition.com/instant-gratification

"One strategy was a kind of distraction-avoidance.

Avoid looking at the rewards deliberately, for example, covering their eyes with their hands and resting their heads on their arms. Many children generated their own diversions: they talked quietly to themselves, sang, created games with their hands and feet, and even tried to go to sleep during the waiting time.”

As researchers observed, the children who got through the waiting period used “self-directed efforts to reduce their frustration during the delay period by selectively directing their attention and thoughts away from the rewards.”

In practical terms this might mean getting away from the things that are pushing you towards bad habits.

And come up with alternative activities to distract yourself.

Researchers also noticed that kids who were able to focus on the good qualities of the better rewards were able to wait the longest.

Thus, in an experiment of one marshmallow now versus more pretzels later, the kids who focused on the awesomeness of pretzels (yummy, salty, crunchy) were able to wait the longest.

Kids who focused on abstract ideals of things also had trouble. This would be like focusing on an abstract “I want a better body” versus focusing on the actual physical sensation of slipping into a treasured pair of pants.

Focusing on the concrete, tangible, perceivable qualities of the better reward enabled kids to delay gratification — and ultimately be successful."

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Yesterday I made a sandwich and put the bread and lunch meat away before I ate the sandwich, habit for me and I know when I'm done putting it away I can sit down and eat without knowing I have to put it away afterwards, no nagging thoughts. Anyway, my husband would get everything out, make the sandwich and eat immediately just shove it in his mouth without putting anything away. Then he forgets or takes hours to put everything away. It is so dang annoying, so so annoying. And I could remind him two hundred times and he still makes no effort to do better. Point is put your food away first before you enjoy your meal/snack. One, it delays gratification to let you appreciate it more for a couple more minutes and two, you're done and can relax. Helps me delay instant gratification, common sense for me but husband hasn't figured it out yet. I'm being a little bit mean...

Plus then you dont forget and cause you to throw it all out since its no longer safe or palatable.
  • Diatonic12
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4553655/

Mastering over immediate gratification and controlling your impulses

The preference for immediate gratification leads to self-control problems and motivational forces that can generate self-control failure.

• Diatonic12
    1. Food

"With 37.7% of Americans suffering from obesity and chronic diseases, delayed gratification, and the implications of fast food culture are of utmost concern (Shuval, 2016). The American Cancer Society has linked time constraints and the lack of forward-thinking to the decrease of healthy, home-prepared food intake.

It requires considerable effort to override the instant gratification and satiating food that is readily available.

Peak performance takes an extreme delay of gratification. Someone who wants to get healthy has to view themselves in a personal peak state instead of seeing themselves as someone who might be featured on the cover of a magazine.

Healthy food intake requires eating a smaller slice of cake, once in a while, instead of ingesting the whole cake. Food habits add up quickly, and a healthy lifestyle will always serve someone better than a quick fix or fad diet."

https://positivepsychology.com/delayed-gratification/
  • Diatonic12
    There's only choices and consequences.

"Knowing that priming aids in developing a delay choice preference.

Successful people aren’t born with the tendency to delay gratification; they develop the tools used to focus on salient long term goals. Applying priming and growth mindset with adults who are pursuing success can be life-changing.

Each time a human practices delay choice, the ability to repeat that behavior improves. Mindful awareness of choice is critical in creating an opportunity for this growth in choosing a distant goal over reward in the present. Considering environmental and motivational factors carefully, this awareness can be rewarded in successful futures.

Choosing a distant goal is hard work. Successful people are so deeply rooted in attaining that distant goal that immediate reward, not attached to that goal, becomes irrelevant. Consistent daily habitual choice builds up to long term success."

• Diatonic12
    Start thinking waaaay down the road in giant month hunks of time or years instead of days or weeks.

"We are not guaranteed a tomorrow. A balance between our cravings for instantaneous rewards and our desire to create longevity in career, relationships, and health is difficult to achieve. Our entire lives require that we weigh the choices of “okay right now” vs. “bigger better later.” As adults, it takes a concerted effort to override the environment to create our thriving personal worlds.

The underlying question in reaching success has been and will continue to be, “How bad do you want it?”