Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Think I'm
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

It's time for me to transition into yet another bulk cycle. B)

Anyone else bulking now or soon? Feel free to discuss your goals, methods used, share your progress, or even if you aren't bulking but have any questions or want to share your past results, you can do it here

As for me, this will be bulk #4. I did have a few set backs due to pregnancies and babies so not exactly where I want to be considering.

I currently transitioning from my cut. I will slowly add calories until I hit maintenance, then I will hang out there for a few weeks (probably until mid-October or so) until I start to up the calories to gain. I am going to start off slow and steady, 0.25lb per week gain then take it from there. Not sure how long this bulk will be, I will play it by ear.

Also I haven't figured out my programming 100% but it will be an upper/lower hypertrophy split similar to what I am doing now.
    -3x per week lower body (very heavy glute focus, less quad)
    -2x per week upper body (back and shoulder focus)

I will keep protein at about 1g per lb (estimated). The rest will fall into place. I won't track my intake, as usual, especially since I have no idea where my food scale is (we are in the process of moving) but I will be weighing daily and tracking my trends and adjusting from there.

I will still be popping into the cutting thread of course but I figure I would start a new one here so I don't bog that one down with all the gaining updates :p

Happy bulking! ;)

Think I'm coming to the end of my defluff, which going on the past few weeks has been more or less maintaining so I think I will join you on the bulk train soon. Choo choo:)

Yay @jdscrubs32 bulk buddies 4 life :)
  • zerodarkthirdy
    zerodarkthirdy Posts: 1 Member
    Hey! I want to start a 10 week bulk. I want to go from 155 to 180 by the end of November. Is that possible? I’m 18 years old & is 6’5
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Hey! I want to start a 10 week bulk. I want to go from 155 to 180 by the end of November. Is that possible? I’m 18 years old & is 6’5

Twenty-five pounds in ten weeks is a lot. The faster you gain the weight, the more likely that weight will be fat and not muscle. However, you are 6'5 and 155 pounds...you need to put on some weight!

Eat at least 500 calories over maintenance, hit your protein targets, and lift heavy using a proven progressive lifting program. Males can put on approximately 0.5 lbs of muscle per week if they are doing everything I listed above.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Hey! I want to start a 10 week bulk. I want to go from 155 to 180 by the end of November. Is that possible? I’m 18 years old & is 6’5

Twenty-five pounds in ten weeks is a lot. The faster you gain the weight, the more likely that weight will be fat and not muscle. However, you are 6'5 and 155 pounds...you need to put on some weight!

Eat at least 500 calories over maintenance, hit your protein targets, and lift heavy using a proven progressive lifting program. Males can put on approximately 0.5 lbs of muscle per week if they are doing everything I listed above.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Ditto. You gotta eat, a lot. And I wouldn’t concern myself too much with scales. I weigh myself just to keep a journal. The mirror never lies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

Definitely agree with this. And being 18, he is prime for muscle gains over fat. No reason to just pack on fat for the sake of gaining weight. And let's face it, it's unlikely, that is what he is thinking would be his ideal body.
  • FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    I am currently trying to bulk up a bit now. Been at it now on a surplus for a while.

It's so hard switching over to the 'mental' weight gain side of bulking. My inner losing weight self makes it a struggle to gain weight, where I seem to subconciously spin my gears. (As some of my friends on here on this forum know).

Also, suffering ATM with Binge Eating cycles as well. I never used to be like this when I was cutting for months last year. But, I know my progress will be to get over this as well as getting stronger, and building muscle.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    He probably doesn't have much fat on him at 6'5 155lbs, i'm guessing he's under 10%bf. If he gained some fat it wouldn't be the end of the world.

10 weeks is not a lot but if you train heavy and with the newbie gains you could build some muscle mass.

• Mellouk89 wrote: »
    He probably doesn't have much fat on him at 6'5 155lbs, i'm guessing he's under 10%bf. If he gained some fat it wouldn't be the end of the world.

10 weeks is not a lot but if you train heavy and with the newbie gains you could build some muscle mass.

For sure. Running a bulk means adding some fat regardless. That’s where the cut comes in
  • sardelsa
    How is everyone doing? I think I am finally going to start gaining soon. Not tracking has it's perks but this is one area where it can be difficult. It's hard to find that fine line between maintenance and a slow bulk.

I won't really be changing my workout programming. One benefit of that is the scale won't go crazy so one less thing to worry about.

I am so pumped to see results. I am really happy with my starting physique, so this bulk will hopefully take me to the next level :)

• gabrielcurran2243
    gabrielcurran2243 Posts: 29 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? I think I am finally going to start gaining soon. Not tracking has it's perks but this is one area where it can be difficult. It's hard to find that fine line between maintenance and a slow bulk.

I won't really be changing my workout programming. One benefit of that is the scale won't go crazy so one less thing to worry about.

I am so pumped to see results. I am really happy with my starting physique, so this bulk will hopefully take me to the next level :)

Finally slowed down. Even lost a pound and a half. I believe that was water weight. Ready for a gradual gain now.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Alright, @sardelsa you convinced me! Time to join the gain train. Will do PHUL.
  • sardelsa
    alexmose wrote: »
    Alright, @sardelsa you convinced me! Time to join the gain train. Will do PHUL.

@alexmose hurray!! :)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    My weight data hit an inflection point on 8/12 and I've gained a steady 2lbs on trend weight since so I'm just going to keep it going on a lean bulk (+125 /day) and see how things go.
  • sardelsa
    @steveko89 awesome stuff! Keep it up :)
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Just started after being virtually slapped for not eating enough and spinning my wheels. 2300 after maintenance at 1950 and loving all the food!

I'm not keen on fat gain of course so will watch what happens with the sharp rise in cals. I was feeling permanently hammered from balls to the wall training for little gain so I hope this extra food helps my recovery and hormone levels.

Thanks for starting this thread young lady 😍
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Calling an end to my bulk after today’s session, going to maintenance for 2 weeks
    Then far loss phase, going to miss all the food 😂
  • sardelsa
    @watts6151good luck! How long did you bulk for and how much did you gain?
  • sardelsa
    Just started after being virtually slapped for not eating enough and spinning my wheels. 2300 after maintenance at 1950 and loving all the food!

I'm not keen on fat gain of course so will watch what happens with the sharp rise in cals. I was feeling permanently hammered from balls to the wall training for little gain so I hope this extra food helps my recovery and hormone levels.

Thanks for starting this thread young lady 😍

Woohoo @Silkysausage welcome aboard the gain train, it's so much fun ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    <--- still jealous! And following other people's bulks.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I bulked all through Covid-19 for 6 months... somewhat intentionally. I gained 20 lbs and now I'm cutting.