Coronavirus prep

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hubby had a sore arm, but mine didn’t bother me at all..hope she gave me the right stuff, lol. (Usually it does hurt)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I had a sore arm, but it was in the shingles vaccine arm, not the flu shot arm (the pharmacist split them up).
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    edited October 2020
    SModa61 wrote: »
    For the flu shot, I don't remember being tired or hubby complaining of that, but both of us had tender arms for 48 hours. The nurse that gave me mine, warned me that would happen before she even gave the shot.

A big part of my job is giving vaccines, standard practice to warn of common side effects, one of which from all vaccines is possible sore arm.
    Nothing different or special about flu vaccine in that regard, you just had a nurse who spelled it out to you.

Thanks paperpudding, I have certainly gotten a sore arm from other shots as well. It did not surprised me much. What I did find surprising is both myself and Hubby got sore arm, but my parents that got the heavy duty senior vaccine had no discomfort, nor did my daughter and SIL.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    For the flu shot, I don't remember being tired or hubby complaining of that, but both of us had tender arms for 48 hours. The nurse that gave me mine, warned me that would happen before she even gave the shot.

A big part of my job is giving vaccines, standard practice to warn of common side effects, one of which from all vaccines is possible sore arm.
    Nothing different or special about flu vaccine in that regard, you just had a nurse who spelled it out to you.

Thanks paperpudding, I have certainly gotten a sore arm from other shots as well. It did not surprised me much. What I did find surprising is both myself and Hubby got sore arm, but my parents that got the heavy duty senior vaccine had no discomfort, nor did my daughter and SIL.

Yes it varies between individuals, that's all.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member

This was my mom’s first year getting the senior dose and she said she was fine afterwards! She was shocked at the difference! This is after several years in a row of icky side effects (including the one year where she battled cellulitis for weeks - it spread nearly to her wrist before it finally stopped!)
  • SModa61

This was my mom’s first year getting the senior dose and she said she was fine afterwards! She was shocked at the difference! This is after several years in a row of icky side effects (including the one year where she battled cellulitis for weeks - it spread nearly to her wrist before it finally stopped!)

Are you speculating that somehow the high dose senior was in some way easier on your mom?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    it is possible that someone has no side effect from flu vaccines and then does to the over 65s version or vice versa.

I have had flu vaccine every year for at least a decade (occupational requirement) - most years mild sore arm for couple of days, thats all.

But one year quite a bit sore and red swollen area about 10 cm diameter.

Have not checked if it was a different brand - sometimes it can be the preservative or something like that different between brands.
  • SModa61
    it is possible that someone has no side effect from flu vaccines and then does to the over 65s version or vice versa.

I have had flu vaccine every year for at least a decade (occupational requirement) - most years mild sore arm for couple of days, thats all.

But one year quite a bit sore and red swollen area about 10 cm diameter.

Have not checked if it was a different brand - sometimes it can be the preservative or something like that different between brands.

Interesting :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    We received senior dose flu shots in September @ Walgreens. It was a brand new pharmacist, first job out of college. I’ve got to say, I’ve had a lot of shots in my lifetime. This kid was so careful, and gentle, I didn’t feel a thing. Not the actual shot, nor any soreness afterwards.

I got mine a few days ago. The nurse was great. I literally didn't feel the shot at all. No stick of the needle or even pressure as the vaccine went in. Never had a completely painless shot like than in my life. I was amazed. Apparently I was tensing my arm beforehand in anticipation of the stick, so she told me to completely relax it, "go zen," and I did. Maybe that was the difference. They never tell me to let my arm hang limp like that. It worked perfectly.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I agree that vaccine giver technique can make a difference- probably not to whether you get side effects afterward but to how it feels going in.
    Some people are still using alcohol wipes, this is unneccesary and makes it sting more. Also giving it gently rather than like dart throwing.
    And getting patient to relax their arm ..good tip, make your arm go limp, not tense, and wriggle your fingers loosely .like you are playing the piano.
    Partly re focusses your mind and does relax your whole arm as well.

( I give literally thousands of vaccines every year, to all ages)

I salute you! ⭐ Really good phlebotomists, IV runners and injection givers really make my day. I get so happy and excited when I have a positive experience. I always praise a job well done! (And I'm still thankful even when it's not so fun.) For some reason, the simple things can be the scariest part. Little things like this make a big difference to sensitive people. Makes medical care comforting rather than traumatic. ❤