Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    We are at probably less than 1% mask use in public here. This is frustrating because it works best when everyone takes precautions.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Study-100-face-mask-use-could-crush-second-15333170.php

Weird, we are probably at about 75% here from what I observe and indoor public space is required. Then again, I find the talk about second wave ironic as it's not clear anyone is out of the first wave, I don't think we are, and after the past couple weeks no way. But we are opening. (I realize again I'm being bitchy but I find it so unfair that I see so much more compliance around me than others report yet our numbers are so much worse, which until recently I just assumed was density and now is likely also protests, etc.)

We are a bit lagging and the first wave here has not yet peaked. I have heard that mask use is very different in different places, but many areas are not seeing much (if any) mask use.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    "Can we hit the 'reset button' on 2020 yet? I'd like my money back. :pCan we hit the 'reset button' on 2020 yet? I'd like my money back. :disappointed:"

This has been the worst year or so in my whole life and I'm no spring chicken. My whole house was flooded and we had to live in a crappy dark flat for a year( oh and I also lost my car too) , I've just got out of the cardiac unit last week when I was out for the first time in months because of Covid having a BBQ with the family and nope I didn't get to eat the cake I made at 6am because an ambulance took me away. There is more but thank god I forget the rest now... been never ending. Right now we are allowed to go away so have been in a very nice quiet spot inland in our caravan. Very happy now. We caught 13 redclaw crayfish too in the river. Even more happy lol.

Hugs Sue.. you've certainly been through the wringer. Enjoy the peace and quiet.. yummmm crayfish 🤤
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    trying very hard to keep this non political......

If testing costs money, especially if you are uninsured, then obviously your actual number of cases would be much higher than the official stats and this would be disproportionately more so in the most at risk poor communities.

Here in South Australia, our official number of active cases is 0.

I am confident that is accurate as anyone can get tested at no cost - and they are. Anyone who has the slightest little sniffle gets tested and is self isolated until results come back (usually next day, 2 days at most)

Anyone here (IL) who thinks they have it can be tested for free. The antibody tests are different (and I haven't researched them), and the protests plus looting have set back the testing in general. The test seems unpleasant so I'm sure lots who might have it don't test, although they could, given how much the mild symptoms overlap other things.

I dont think the test is that unpleasant.

I havent had it but I have had respiratory nasal swabs in the past testing for influenza and whooping cough and it is basically the same test method.

Lots of people have been tested here, including children, and I'm not getting feedback that the test was horrible.

It looks and sounds unpleasant to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/test-for-coronavirus.html

1.17 million people have been tested in my state at this point, and it looks like about 1.8 m in Australia. (My state has about half the population of Australia.) So clearly lots of people here have been tested too, but I certainly wouldn't go test without having good reason to think I had it (it could be I'm a big baby about medical procedures of some kinds, though). If they were doing a study or something, I'd participate, of course. And I'd love to have the antibodies test, although I would be surprised if it turned out I'd had it.

Oh I wouldnt go test randomly just for the fun of it either - as I said, I have not been tested for it.
    Nor have I watched youtubes about testing

But have had same nasal swab tests done in the past for other things - so my comment about it not being that bad was based on that as well as working in a medical centre where we follow up on many people who have had respiratory nasal swabs, both for covid19 and in past years for influenza or whooping cough.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    trying very hard to keep this non political......

If testing costs money, especially if you are uninsured, then obviously your actual number of cases would be much higher than the official stats and this would be disproportionately more so in the most at risk poor communities.

Here in South Australia, our official number of active cases is 0.

I am confident that is accurate as anyone can get tested at no cost - and they are. Anyone who has the slightest little sniffle gets tested and is self isolated until results come back (usually next day, 2 days at most)

Anyone here (IL) who thinks they have it can be tested for free. The antibody tests are different (and I haven't researched them), and the protests plus looting have set back the testing in general. The test seems unpleasant so I'm sure lots who might have it don't test, although they could, given how much the mild symptoms overlap other things.

I dont think the test is that unpleasant.

I havent had it but I have had respiratory nasal swabs in the past testing for influenza and whooping cough and it is basically the same test method.

Lots of people have been tested here, including children, and I'm not getting feedback that the test was horrible.

It looks and sounds unpleasant to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/test-for-coronavirus.html

1.17 million people have been tested in my state at this point, and it looks like about 1.8 m in Australia. (My state has about half the population of Australia.) So clearly lots of people here have been tested too, but I certainly wouldn't go test without having good reason to think I had it (it could be I'm a big baby about medical procedures of some kinds, though). If they were doing a study or something, I'd participate, of course. And I'd love to have the antibodies test, although I would be surprised if it turned out I'd had it.

Oh I wouldnt go test randomly just for the fun of it either - as I said, I have not been tested for it.
    Nor have I watched youtubes about testing

But have had same nasal swab tests done in the past for other things - so my comment about it not being that bad was based on that as well as working in a medical centre where we follow up on many people who have had respiratory nasal swabs, both for covid19 and in past years for influenza or whooping cough.

I really think they need to figure out how everyone can be tested and with some frequency. Since so many new cases are coming from people who don't show any symptoms, this is one of a few ways to cut down on new cases. But like with mask usage, it only helps if enough people do it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It seems like sooner or later most cities will have their NYC like peaks. I consider risks are higher in KY than any time so far but the numbers are not wild in my rural part of the state. I am hoping the peaking comes before school time this fall.

I do not going in and setting down in places like churches and restaurants. I get in and out. If I want to eat in the car I just look for a shade tree. Enjoying the AC in the Leaf and no engine running when parked. I prefer the windows down but that does not work out well if others have their windows down and are smoking and or running their engines. Exhaust fumes and pumping gas fumes now flip me out like in a double line drive thru getting food.

The wild fires look very damaging in the news.

Problem with the numbers is that we don't know how bad it is spreading until 2 weeks after it happened. I'm in rural TN (not terribly far from KY) and we may have a lot of spread happening now without even realizing it. More and more people are back to work (including me) and more and more places are open and expanding the number of people there. I heard 12 bars / clubs in Nashville got fined over the weekend, but I bet there were dozens more in Nashville and hundreds across the state that were just as bad about filling up wall-to-wall and nobody noticed or cared. Good thing I am not a drinker, I guess.

I agree about the spreading unknowns. I plan to look at the numbers the first and fifteenth of July to see what the trend looks like.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    My heart is breaking for my 94 (almost 95) year old grandmother. She was in an apartment style living arrangement - not full assisted living. Something happened on Tuesday - she was in a lot of pain, couldn’t walk or communicate, maybe a fall. They took her to the hospital and they finally figured out she had a UTI (I never would have imagined the changes they can trigger in the elderly until she experienced one while staying with us a few years back - they mimick her stroke symptoms!). But because of the slow decline of her mental health (they have fought to keep at this same facility for about a year now) she can’t go back, so today she is going to a new place to live. My cousin can’t go with her or even ride in the van because of COVID, and because of the hospital visit, they (cousin or gma) can’t go back to her apt to get her stuff because COVID. So you have a confused, often depressed 94 year old woman who was abruptly uprooted from the little she knows in life and plopped in a new place with new people and next to nothing familiar in her surroundings - and no option for visitors. My husband is ready to drive 12 hours and pick her up to come stay with us for a little while (she lived with us for a few months before an unexpected move 3 years ago).

I hate COVID.

Sorry about what your grandmother, you, and your family are experiencing :(

My OH's mother passed away in 2017. She was depressed and anxious and my OH visited her in her nursing home daily. I can't imagine how this would have been for her...