Coronavirus prep

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    So not sure if they will be opening up bars again in my county. It's a local decision but seems like if one county does and another doesn't it's sort of a waste. Because people will just drive a few miles to a wet county.

One thing about this whole crisis which I find interesting is that I hear of a lot more restrictions going into place in Europe again. And I hear folks saying = gotta go get my last meals out or visiting or whatever done BEFORE we lock down. In my mind it's seems like if your location is getting ready to lock down the LAST thing you would want to do is go be social? But maybe I just look at it from the standpoint of the REASON they are going to lock things down again is because the virus is spiking and hospitals are having a tough time so why would I risk being exposed? It must be human nature tho to think "it can't happen to me or my family".

You're right. If it's so bad that restrictions are coming soon, there's no point risking being infected just before the lockdown. Here it is so good that the authorities are scared to remove final restrictions so we don't suddenly start to see a bad situation develop.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    News blip said that 'Rona is triggering a reactivation of EBV. They can run tests. The reactivation is connected to inflammatory compounds only adding to C-19's symptoms. Sending it back into dormancy is not so easy.

In the beginning, it seemed to me like combination of rheumatic fever, SARS, EBV and MERS all rolled into one big sheetstorm.

Given that 95% of all people get mono in their life with 50% happening before the age of 5, a reactivation of EBV could impact lots os people. I wonder if there is any correlation between likelihood of reactivation and severity of original infection.

This concerns me. I had mono when I was thirteen. I honestly can’t remember being sicker, for such a long time, during my lifetime. I’m in Minnesota. We are currently in an uptick of cases. It’s been cold here, and windy with our first measurable snowfall predicted for today.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,851 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    News blip said that 'Rona is triggering a reactivation of EBV. They can run tests. The reactivation is connected to inflammatory compounds only adding to C-19's symptoms. Sending it back into dormancy is not so easy.

In the beginning, it seemed to me like combination of rheumatic fever, SARS, EBV and MERS all rolled into one big sheetstorm.

Given that 95% of all people get mono in their life with 50% happening before the age of 5, a reactivation of EBV could impact lots os people. I wonder if there is any correlation between likelihood of reactivation and severity of original infection.

This concerns me. I had mono when I was thirteen. I honestly can’t remember being sicker, for such a long time, during my lifetime. I’m in Minnesota. We are currently in an uptick of cases. It’s been cold here, and windy with our first measurable snowfall predicted for today.

Mono is kind of crazy. I was thinking yesterday how in a way its character reminds me of COVID where for some they are so sick that diagnosis comes readily while for others there is no recognition that it is anything other than a cold.

My husband, myself and daughter's husband, all must have had mono while young because years ago when daughter became obviously sick with it over college break (caught it from now-husband's roommate) none of the three of us got ill. My son on the other hand got obviously sick at 29 or 30 and the docs could not figure out what he had. I recognized it quickly (he got it exactly like his sister) and made him ask for mono test. Doc's declined. I told him to demand. Yup, positive. They were shocked. Adulthood is not the norm.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,851 Member
    Well, I'm back in full quarantine. An estimator who came to my house last week got sick the next day, took a covid test the day after that, the test came back positive on Saturday, and the company called me today to tell me.

Fortunately I had contactless grocery delivery on the intervening weekend, and I haven't been anywhere else except for solo walks, so I don't have to worry that I could have passed it on to anyone. And it's been almost a week since the contact, so I only have one more week to go. No symptoms so far (we were only together outside, both masked, and not even facing each other because we were looking at the house while we talked about what needed to be done, so I think my odds are pretty good).

Also glad I've replenished food, paper goods, etc. as the months have worn on.

stay well!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Well, I'm back in full quarantine. An estimator who came to my house last week got sick the next day, took a covid test the day after that, the test came back positive on Saturday, and the company called me today to tell me.

Fortunately I had contactless grocery delivery on the intervening weekend, and I haven't been anywhere else except for solo walks, so I don't have to worry that I could have passed it on to anyone. And it's been almost a week since the contact, so I only have one more week to go. No symptoms so far (we were only together outside, both masked, and not even facing each other because we were looking at the house while we talked about what needed to be done, so I think my odds are pretty good).

Also glad I've replenished food, paper goods, etc. as the months have worn on.

stay well!

Thanks!