Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Coronavirus prep

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,660 Member
    I haven't read all the replies.

For those who say mask usage is low where you are, what is the availability of masks?

I saw low mask usage in the last couple of weeks, probably since we went into phase 1 on May 4th. Suddenly, mask usage is going up. But also, I JUST started seeing masks for sale in regular stores - Target, Kroger, etc. I bought some.

I think this may have something to do with low usage, not everyone can sew. Not everyone goes on etsy to buy masks. But if you can pick up a pack at your local store? When you are buying groceries? Maybe that will help with usage. It is a little sucky of the government to ask everyone (or require everyone) to wear masks but not PROVIDE them, and not only are they not provided they aren't available to the average person, what with doctor's offices and hair salons buying a bunch (I mean, they need them too).

That said, usage is way up this week. I'm glad to see more people wearing masks!

There may be something to that (the bolded), but it seems odd to me in this way: The public health info that's been publicized has been very clear that any reasonable face covering can be used, even a bandana or scarf. Those are and have been pretty universally available in stores, and I'd bet most households had at least one even before this.

I think it's possible that availability of official masks has been a little bit fetishized or "magicalized", though - I've observed some of my friends and acquaintences speaking as if a mask-shaped 2-layer piece of cotton fabric is somehow much superior to a scarf-shaped 2-layer piece of cotton fabric, which seems weird to me (in a case where there's at least equal facial fit/coverage, of course).

I'd say usage here has been 50% and up in most places I've been, but everyone and her sister has been sewing home-made masks here for a couple of months now, and early on I had multiple Facebook friends either offering them to others for free, or for money but not a huge amount. I doubt I'm unique in that, so I think most people probably could've gotten one without much difficulty since the first half of March, at least. A fair percentage of masks I see are home-made cloth ones, at least half, with the rest a mix of the medical-ish-looking commercial ones, fancy fitted commercial ones, or something improvised (bandanas, shop masks, etc.).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I haven't read all the replies.

For those who say mask usage is low where you are, what is the availability of masks?

I saw low mask usage in the last couple of weeks, probably since we went into phase 1 on May 4th. Suddenly, mask usage is going up. But also, I JUST started seeing masks for sale in regular stores - Target, Kroger, etc. I bought some.

I think this may have something to do with low usage, not everyone can sew. Not everyone goes on etsy to buy masks. But if you can pick up a pack at your local store? When you are buying groceries? Maybe that will help with usage. It is a little sucky of the government to ask everyone (or require everyone) to wear masks but not PROVIDE them, and not only are they not provided they aren't available to the average person, what with doctor's offices and hair salons buying a bunch (I mean, they need them too).

That said, usage is way up this week. I'm glad to see more people wearing masks!

There may be something to that (the bolded), but it seems odd to me in this way: The public health info that's been publicized has been very clear that any reasonable face covering can be used, even a bandana or scarf. Those are and have been pretty universally available in stores, and I'd bet most households had at least one even before this.

I think it's possible that availability of official masks has been a little bit fetishized or "magicalized", though - I've observed some of my friends and acquaintences speaking as if a mask-shaped 2-layer piece of cotton fabric is somehow much superior to a scarf-shaped 2-layer piece of cotton fabric, which seems weird to me (in a case where there's at least equal facial fit/coverage, of course).

I'd say usage here has been 50% and up in most places I've been, but everyone and her sister has been sewing home-made masks here for a couple of months now, and early on I had multiple Facebook friends either offering them to others for free, or for money but not a huge amount. I doubt I'm unique in that, so I think most people probably could've gotten one without much difficulty since the first half of March, at least. A fair percentage of masks I see are home-made cloth ones, at least half, with the rest a mix of the medical-ish-looking commercial ones, fancy fitted commercial ones, or something improvised (bandanas, shop masks, etc.).

I was hanging out with a co-worker in my office today (we were mostly working) and both of us were wearing homemade masks. Both of us also initially said we were fine with no masks, but decided to wear them (we were about 4 feet apart). Neither of us thought our masks didn't count.

I drove a couple of co-workers (friends who have been distancing) in yesterday and said I wasn't wearing a mask when driving (I think it affects my vision) and one (front seat) did not wear one, and one (back seat) did, but I'm convinced both are low risk and I think they know I am.

Here masks are provided, btw, for free and you can get them delivered, and they've been available for purchase for a while (as they have been everywhere on etsy or amazon, etc), yet clearly downtown some outside aren't bothering with them. I drove through the West Loop on the way home and hordes of 20-somethings and early 30-somethings without them, since I guess too cool. But at least in my nabe they are common and in my office they are enforced.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I guess with the resurgence of the virus in some states, the governors have decided that some constituents are expendable.😢
    They will not retighten restrictions. You are on your own.

At the grocery store yesterday, bacon is now $7.99 for a 12 ounce package. Pork sausage and sliced ham were both reasonably priced and I purchased both. Pre Covid, most weeks, I could purchase 2-12 oz packages of bacon for $7.00. It’s all pork. Why such different prices? They had plenty of all pork products.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    And a friend who is an at risk person (lung issues) and has been home since 4/1, saw her COBRA payment go from $1566/month to $1706/month for family covera7/1.

I'm starting to think the financial fallout of this 2000 Pandemic will be a negative long after we stop tracking COVID-19 deaths. The direct and indirect business cost increases are getting past to the consumer. Business failures will decrease competition leading to price increases. Kind of a bad time to be be retired , near retirement or have a deleted job.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Re Pork Products price rises,

(From the UK) I read something to the effect there can be difficulties right at the start of the process, getting the animals to the abattoir from farms and processing them. Even keeping premises going with reduced staffing because of the virus. Needing to increase the availability of protective clothing, not to mention making booths on packing lines so distancing can be observed properly while still providing the service the public need. That was something I'd not considered. Some manufacturers may reduce the span of products they produce choosing to present them in the most convenient way for most people enabling the packaging department to provide higher volumes because the process can be uninterrupted. A consequence of this could be more expensive cuts could become more expensive because they are more complex in production. So it seems, may be, not every producer/shopping outlet are hiking prices simply because they can, some of it could be necessary. I hope its the latter.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    Can't believe i've lost more weight without the gym then i was with it. Insane.

Water weight loss and muscle mass loss?