Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    "LOL yeah, but it also means I spend more time in the store around other people, and those extra steps cause me to walk past more people, where if I just walked where I needed, I might not pass those people. So, does it really cut down risk? Or make it riskier?"

Write a list and stick to it is safest. Get in and out as fast as possible. We have almost zero active cases here and I still am doing that for now.

We have low cases in our county too.

We try to make a list. I was having trouble making a list this time because I'm on a special diet for 7-10 days and I literally had to shop for stuff to find stuff I could eat.

Whether or not you have a list, you might not realize something on your list is down an aisle until you pass it. I guess if you went up and down ever aisle so you didn't miss one, but that seems kind of excessive too.

I'm totally incapable of doing this myself, but my mom used to put her grocery list in order by aisle, routinely. (She could remember what was where in her customary store, so it wasn't a huge effort; and she was Just. That. Organized. I didn't get that gene.)
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Here's a fun story for you. This is by far the stupidest thing I've seen so far. I was at the store and this guy standing near me literally pulled his mask down to sneeze out into the open air and then pulled it back on. I guess he didn't want to breathe in his own sneeze and mess up his mask with sneeze juices. Thanks, buddy. 🤧 I navigated away from him ASAP, but I couldn't freaking believe it. And there was an elderly woman standing right in his sneeze zone.

Not only are more than half the people not wearing masks anymore, since the local leadership caved to the complainers and made masks optional but recommended, some of those who are wearing them are doing crap like that.

Opening things up wouldn't be so bad if people would behave themselves and follow recommended guidelines. Especially when we're living in a covid hot zone.

When we make things optional, like wearing masks in stores, people seem to choose poorly. It seems to be all or nothing with people. They are acting like it has to be a complete shut down OR completely open and throwing all caution to the wind. Why can't we open things up AND use precautions?
    Jeez Louise. I feel like they need to issue everyone with official 6’ long sticks - if I can reach you with my stick, I am legally allowed to hit you with my stick...

Bwahahhahahaha!

Issue the order - I'm ready for battle! My staff training may finally pay off... ;)

5l43djttapa1.png
    z6oq5clvj4ar.png

I've seen video of myself doing staff training. Sadly, it did not look like that. :grimace:;)

Some of the behavior in stores does have me thinking again about exploiting li'l ol' lady privilege to carry a (gratefully, so far) physically unnnecessary cane, so I have the option of whacking people with it at an extreme.

I was out again today at 3 stores (local health food grocery, Whole Foods, Costco), and again the experience varied some (in terms of number wearing masks) and how people behaved, as compared with other times. That mouth-only mask thing was more common today, for example.

Does anyone else find themselves getting more short-tempered? (I assume in my case it's from isolation, either unacknowledged stress, "cabin fever" or atrophy of social skills from exercising them less.) A woman behnd me in the exit line at Costco was very impatient - I'd almost swear she clicked at me at one point, like some form of indoor horn-honking. (I admit to being a li'l ol' lady, but more spry than doddering physically, truly.) At one point, behind me, she muttered "does she have to be so slow", either about the receipt-checker at the door, or the woman just finishing being checked, who was getting her stuff together. I admit, I turned around, looked her in the face, and raised an eyebrow at her (above my mask :lol: ) quite emphatically, though I did keep my mouth shut. This is really not like me. I rarely get irritated, and pretty much never broadcast it. (In my particular Scandinavian Midwestern subculture, a raised eyebrow is a very strong expression of emotion. :lol: ).

Oh, I'm bitchy in normal times, but last time I went to my closest grocery and some were just disregarding the posted rules (not masks, but the cart rules, and the arrows), I was muttering to myself about it. I realized I was being a freak and doing no good, but still. I decided just not to go there vs. becoming a nutjob.

Lately I've been going to my office with strict rules but few are there yet, so have been a bit on the non compliant side (doors are labeled exit and entrance but there aren't enough there yet for you to meet up with anyone).

I've found the one-way foot traffic in the stores to be the trickiest to adhere to. :) They need bigger arrows. I'm constantly back-tracking because I forgot something or have to substitute, etc. That's when I notice I'm going the wrong way. Oops.

I feel like I have to go up and down every aisle, even ones I don't need anything in, because I don't want to deal with skipping to an aisle I do need something in, and finding myself at the wrong end of it.

I kept passing an isle, looking down and seeing something I need, then having to go forward to the next isle and double back (or back up, to the isle before), it sure did create a lot of extra steps.

I feel like I should link this comment to the "NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss" thread: Burning extra calories via confusing arrow-triggered backtracks while grocery shopping. :wink: :lol:

LOL yeah, but it also means I spend more time in the store around other people, and those extra steps cause me to walk past more people, where if I just walked where I needed, I might not pass those people. So, does it really cut down risk? Or make it riskier?

Oh, absolutely. It was a joke, just that we're on a calorie counting site with so many people wanting to burn more of the little suckers. I wasn't saying anything about the risk, just the "exercise" - Pollyanna looking for a tiny bright side in the Corona mess, I guess. :)

Concerning risk:

There was an interesting interview on NPR's Fresh Air this week, with Michaael Osterholm the founder/director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at UMinnesota, and author of "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs". His center is doing research specifically now on what circumstances have what risk of exposure to sufficient viral load to be dangerous, and related topics. (Link at the bottom to the story/audio. There's much more in the audio (41 minutes) than the text. Interesting guy, long experience.

From memory, I think he was saying that these "quick pass by" situations are less risky than a few minutes actually in close space with another person. Now, obviously, the risk is still non-zero, and I totally hear what you're saying about the numbers of people we pass being a multiplier of that risk. Still, I found the interview somewhat reassuring about the practical risk levels in grocery stores and the like.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/17/879255417/amid-confusion-about-reopening-an-expert-explains-how-to-assess-covid-risk

Here the contact tracers ask who you have been in close contact with for at least 15 minutes. I guess because you don't know the names of everyone you passed at Walmart.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    "LOL yeah, but it also means I spend more time in the store around other people, and those extra steps cause me to walk past more people, where if I just walked where I needed, I might not pass those people. So, does it really cut down risk? Or make it riskier?"

Write a list and stick to it is safest. Get in and out as fast as possible. We have almost zero active cases here and I still am doing that for now.

We have low cases in our county too.

We try to make a list. I was having trouble making a list this time because I'm on a special diet for 7-10 days and I literally had to shop for stuff to find stuff I could eat.

Whether or not you have a list, you might not realize something on your list is down an aisle until you pass it. I guess if you went up and down ever aisle so you didn't miss one, but that seems kind of excessive too.

I'm totally incapable of doing this myself, but my mom used to put her grocery list in order by aisle, routinely. (She could remember what was where in her customary store, so it wasn't a huge effort; and she was Just. That. Organized. I didn't get that gene.)
    Here's a fun story for you. This is by far the stupidest thing I've seen so far. I was at the store and this guy standing near me literally pulled his mask down to sneeze out into the open air and then pulled it back on. I guess he didn't want to breathe in his own sneeze and mess up his mask with sneeze juices. Thanks, buddy. 🤧 I navigated away from him ASAP, but I couldn't freaking believe it. And there was an elderly woman standing right in his sneeze zone.

Not only are more than half the people not wearing masks anymore, since the local leadership caved to the complainers and made masks optional but recommended, some of those who are wearing them are doing crap like that.

Opening things up wouldn't be so bad if people would behave themselves and follow recommended guidelines. Especially when we're living in a covid hot zone.

When we make things optional, like wearing masks in stores, people seem to choose poorly. It seems to be all or nothing with people. They are acting like it has to be a complete shut down OR completely open and throwing all caution to the wind. Why can't we open things up AND use precautions?
    Jeez Louise. I feel like they need to issue everyone with official 6’ long sticks - if I can reach you with my stick, I am legally allowed to hit you with my stick...

Bwahahhahahaha!

Issue the order - I'm ready for battle! My staff training may finally pay off... ;)

5l43djttapa1.png
    z6oq5clvj4ar.png

I've seen video of myself doing staff training. Sadly, it did not look like that. :grimace:;)

Some of the behavior in stores does have me thinking again about exploiting li'l ol' lady privilege to carry a (gratefully, so far) physically unnnecessary cane, so I have the option of whacking people with it at an extreme.

I was out again today at 3 stores (local health food grocery, Whole Foods, Costco), and again the experience varied some (in terms of number wearing masks) and how people behaved, as compared with other times. That mouth-only mask thing was more common today, for example.

Does anyone else find themselves getting more short-tempered? (I assume in my case it's from isolation, either unacknowledged stress, "cabin fever" or atrophy of social skills from exercising them less.) A woman behnd me in the exit line at Costco was very impatient - I'd almost swear she clicked at me at one point, like some form of indoor horn-honking. (I admit to being a li'l ol' lady, but more spry than doddering physically, truly.) At one point, behind me, she muttered "does she have to be so slow", either about the receipt-checker at the door, or the woman just finishing being checked, who was getting her stuff together. I admit, I turned around, looked her in the face, and raised an eyebrow at her (above my mask :lol: ) quite emphatically, though I did keep my mouth shut. This is really not like me. I rarely get irritated, and pretty much never broadcast it. (In my particular Scandinavian Midwestern subculture, a raised eyebrow is a very strong expression of emotion. :lol: ).

Oh, I'm bitchy in normal times, but last time I went to my closest grocery and some were just disregarding the posted rules (not masks, but the cart rules, and the arrows), I was muttering to myself about it. I realized I was being a freak and doing no good, but still. I decided just not to go there vs. becoming a nutjob.

Lately I've been going to my office with strict rules but few are there yet, so have been a bit on the non compliant side (doors are labeled exit and entrance but there aren't enough there yet for you to meet up with anyone).

I've found the one-way foot traffic in the stores to be the trickiest to adhere to. :) They need bigger arrows. I'm constantly back-tracking because I forgot something or have to substitute, etc. That's when I notice I'm going the wrong way. Oops.

I feel like I have to go up and down every aisle, even ones I don't need anything in, because I don't want to deal with skipping to an aisle I do need something in, and finding myself at the wrong end of it.

I kept passing an isle, looking down and seeing something I need, then having to go forward to the next isle and double back (or back up, to the isle before), it sure did create a lot of extra steps.

I feel like I should link this comment to the "NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss" thread: Burning extra calories via confusing arrow-triggered backtracks while grocery shopping. :wink: :lol:

LOL yeah, but it also means I spend more time in the store around other people, and those extra steps cause me to walk past more people, where if I just walked where I needed, I might not pass those people. So, does it really cut down risk? Or make it riskier?

Oh, absolutely. It was a joke, just that we're on a calorie counting site with so many people wanting to burn more of the little suckers. I wasn't saying anything about the risk, just the "exercise" - Pollyanna looking for a tiny bright side in the Corona mess, I guess. :)

Concerning risk:

There was an interesting interview on NPR's Fresh Air this week, with Michaael Osterholm the founder/director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at UMinnesota, and author of "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs". His center is doing research specifically now on what circumstances have what risk of exposure to sufficient viral load to be dangerous, and related topics. (Link at the bottom to the story/audio. There's much more in the audio (41 minutes) than the text. Interesting guy, long experience.

From memory, I think he was saying that these "quick pass by" situations are less risky than a few minutes actually in close space with another person. Now, obviously, the risk is still non-zero, and I totally hear what you're saying about the numbers of people we pass being a multiplier of that risk. Still, I found the interview somewhat reassuring about the practical risk levels in grocery stores and the like.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/17/879255417/amid-confusion-about-reopening-an-expert-explains-how-to-assess-covid-risk

Here the contact tracers ask who you have been in close contact with for at least 15 minutes. I guess because you don't know the names of everyone you passed at Walmart.

Based on the interview link I posted . . . it may go beyond that, to the probabilities.

Contact tracing is going to have to cut off at some point. Practicality (can you identify them) is one part of that, as you say. Probability of transmission is another.

To use an intentionally absurd/extreme example: If someone has Covid & licks a stamp and puts the envelope in their mailbox, then a mail deliverer handles the envelope and immediately touches their face, I suppose maybe there's a small chance of viral transfer in sufficient quantities to cause infection . . . but I doubt the contact tracers will be trying to identify who our mail deliverer is, even though it could be done in most cases.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »

Some in Tucson are whining up a storm about the mandatory mask requirements. Have to read up to see how restaurants and bars will handle that. I'm not sure if people realize we are the only country whining about masks. About masks. SMH. The popular Sheriff in our town (one of the ones, "I'm gonna live my life" guys) just tested positive for Covid-19. He was supposed to meet the President this weekend! I guess he got tested in advance and found out he had it! He's fairly young and healthy, so I wish him well. But to ignore it is ignorant.

I suspect the whiners firmly believe that the compliant mask-wearers are all "sheeple" anyway.

What I've noticed here (and we have very few active cases, all currently hospitalized) is that women have promptly turned mask wearing into a fashion statement and happily sport a fabric mask with a print that reflects a hobby or some aspect of their personality. Younger men seem to like to wear industrial style masks, I've even seen some very fancy respirator masks out there, obviously work PPE. Masks are mostly being worn by retail employees and people who are obviously higher risk. I'm happy to say that the 99.9% are being worn correctly. Although I did run into a former neighbour today at the pharmacy and he didn't have his nose covered.

Covid testing at work today. It's unpleasant having someone stick something in your nose, but it's quick and not painful. Probably took a second. All of us women agreed that we'd take the nasal swab over a Pap test any day. :D

Yes, and I hear a lot of people talking about wearing a mask as though it exclusively is to protect the wearer and they are willing to take a risk. Too few people realize the mask is to protect others, not yourself.

Thankfully, the top manager at my work location is one of the few who takes it seriously and he sent an email to clarify for those in the office that are confused about when/where they should wear a mask. So I am hoping people at least start taking it seriously at work.

Gov Lee had a press conference yesterday encouraging mask use. They have gotten companies to make TN-themed and branded masks (college sports, Tractor Supply, Jack Daniels, and etc) to "make masks cool." Dr. Piercey (Dept of Health) said "Wearing a mask is NOT a political statement." She went on to explain how instead it was showing how we are taking care of all Tennesseans. Of course they also basically said that their goal has always been to keep the curve flat enough for hospitals to be fine, so they really don't care that the cases are going up at all right now. Ok, then... But they need to play that clip about the masks on the local news. Over and over. We do have a long way to go, but at least this development is encouraging, even though it is not enough.

When did we go from being the "Volunteer State" to the "Defiant Toddler State"? :smirk:

I get glared down big time for wearing a mask here. But being 5'10" with broad-shoulders and Resting Witch Brows, I don't worry about it overmuch. I am protecting EVERYONE. I am showing people what STAYING OPEN in a pandemic looks like. It's hard for 6 people( my family) plus the other 10% of the county that are actually wearing masks to drag 60,000 people (whining and pontificating FREEDOM) where they don't want to go though. It is ridiculously difficult to get people to realize that if we don't social distance and wear masks in public we WILL be forced to close down again. You want to shop and work? YAY! Do that. Freedom! But there are new rules for a little while so that stays possible. Why? Very very contagious, possibly debilitating or deadly, virus! People, come on!
    This all just makes me so discouraged and mentally tired. :neutral:

I hear you. I’m in the Memphis suburbs and mask use is spotty. Maybe 50%? Maybe more, depending on location. This is before mask ordinance, haven’t been out much since, except to dr/pt and church. 100% use at dr & temp check and mask usage at PT. Church (spaced seating) is maybe 90%—I def give the side eye to non mask wearers—some in their 20s, some older. I sewed masks for my entire family and it can be a battle to keep a 4yo boy properly masked...why can’t you, a grown adult, wear one?? Especially since 50%+ of the people at church are elderly (bishop extended the dispensation of one’s Sunday obligation until September, so people, esp the vulnerable, can stay home with no moral qualms. Attendance is increasing, at least at my church.)

Many things are returning to almost normal. Despite not moving to Phase 3 yet our town baseball league is resuming games tonight (soccer, however, canceled plans for a summer league, but multiple programs are running indoor and outdoor summer camps). Some MDOs have been back in session for a few weeks. I am now the crazy one for pushing masks and being a bit more cautious.

North of Memphis in rural west TN is still at 0.5% mask usage and I don't think it was ever higher than 2% based on my observations.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Bwahahhahahaha!

5l43djttapa1.png
    z6oq5clvj4ar.png

That's what I tell myself about going up and down the aisle I don't need. :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Ate at Los Portales for lunch with wife, kids and daughter in law for first dine in event since things went bat crazy. Some of the staff were wearing masks but not one person dining was wearing a mask. There were some missing tables.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    here is a common theory that the greatest risk is indoor, prolonged close contact with groups of unmasked people. Which is why...trying not to be political...arguing that going to an indoor event with 20,000 people is the same risk as going to the grocery store does not make any scientific sense. Just an example....no politics.

yes if that were truly equal risk there would of been no point in any banning of gatherings or any restriction on gathering numbers like weddings funerals, sports crowds etc
    which every single country did - so nothing political about that.
    I assume all weddings and funerals, even without restricted numbers would be less than 20,000 anyway.

In order to have population compliance you have to have clear non partisan advice from the top.
  • paperpudding
    Options

Or you have a phone app that can be used for tracing who you have been in close contact with for more than15 minutes.

Of course that wont work totally even if you had a willing population - there are people who dont have mobile phones or who don't take them everywhere - but that is the idea: if you test positive, it traces people like someone stuck in a supermarket queue or a Dr's waiting room etc who you did not know.

We are now at zero cases in South Australia and opening things up again - you can go to weddings/funerals/social or sporting clubs with social distancing restrictions - and the co ordinaters of the event need to keep lists of names and phone numbers and arrival/leaving time of attendees.
    Which is easy enough to do
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Or you have a phone app that can be used for tracing who you have been in close contact with for more than15 minutes.

Of course that wont work totally even if you had a willing population - there are people who dont have mobile phones or who don't take them everywhere - but that is the idea: if you test positive, it traces people like someone stuck in a supermarket queue or a Dr's waiting room etc who you did not know.

We are now at zero cases in South Australia and opening things up again - you can go to weddings/funerals/social or sporting clubs with social distancing restrictions - and the co ordinaters of the event need to keep lists of names and phone numbers and arrival/leaving time of attendees.

The functionality was added to phones in the US (Android and iPhone), but not enabled because waiting on the government to come up with the other piece.

If you have an Android phone, go under Settings, then GOOGLE settings and it's there.. If you have an IPhone, go to settings, privacy then health.
  • paperpudding
    Options

The functionality was added to phones in the US (Android and iPhone), but not enabled because waiting on the government to come up with the other piece.

If you have an Android phone, go under Settings, then GOOGLE settings and it's there.. If you have an IPhone, go to settings, privacy then health.

I'm not sure what you mean by "waiting for the government to come up with the other piece"

In Australia (and Singapore and a few other countries, I believe) the government has set up an app - called Covidsafe and is strongly encouraging people to download it.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,805 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have an app which links to that phone health setting here in the US. "You cannot turn on Exposure Logging without an authorized app installed that can send Exposure Notifications ...."
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I think is it is more than there just being an app that people are not sure if they have access to

Here in Australia (and Singapore and co, I presume) one would have had to be hiding under a rock for the last 2 months to not know there is an app and to not know the government wants you to download it.

(if you have a mobile phone, of course)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think is it is more than there just being an app that people are not sure if they have access to

Here in Australia (and Singapore and co, I presume) one would have had to be hiding under a rock for the last 2 months to not know there is an app and to not know the government wants you to download it.

(if you have a mobile phone, of course)

Well, smart phones or other mobile devices with internet access anyway. Not mobile phones without internet access.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options

Huh. Thanks for this. I didn't realize they had already put this on our phones. I wonder when it will go active?