Spiral advice please

Hey I wasn’t sure whether to post this on here or the maintenance forum. I’m just wanting some advice from you all, I’m regularly reading on here and learning a lot from the insights shared.

I seem to have got into a spiral! I’ve gone from 243lb to 161lb since April just gone to October. I’m 5’6” and a 27 year old female, I’m super proud of myself from getting out of the obese BMI category to overweight. My initial goal is to get to 156lb so I’m a healthy weight, and reassess from there.

The issue... this week the scale says I’ve gained 3lb... I’ve been binge eating and eating all the wrong foods for a week. It’s been my birthday during this week, but I’ve also had some stresses I’m back to work after having maternity leave (naturally getting some mum guilt, I know I’ll feel better in time) and also a relationship breakdown with my brother (not so clear cut). I’m really annoyed with myself and a bit scared I’m going to undo all of my hard work. I’ve not binged on food for about 6 months, I don’t know why I’m finding it so hard to get back on track. I’ve tried to just eat at maintenance calories but the emotional eating has just been so hard to overcome.

Has anyone got any advice? My weight loss journey isn’t over yet, and I really can’t go back to how I was. I just need to get back into everything. Sorry for rambling.

Replies

• Svhmaddison
    Svhmaddison Posts: 17 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I support what psychod said, too.

I'd add this: You're investing a lot of emotion and (over-)thinking in this. That's a choice. You're binge eating, and eating "wrong" foods (whatever the heck "wrong" foods are). The implication is that you don't really want to be doing those things. Make a different choice. At one level, it really is that simple.

If it seems too overwhelming, put one good practice back into your life today, and comit to add a second one tomorrow, step by step.

Thought/emotion processes are one thing, behavior is another. Start doing the behaviors you've learned and practiced, the behaviors you prefer. Put it at an automatic level, not as something you mull over. (I don't think about whether I want to brush my teeth, feel guilty if I don't brush my teeth, etc. . . . I just brush my teeth, on autopilot. Try to put your practiced habits from your period of weight loss on that basis, just things you unemotionally do because you do them.)

On the stress management front, try some other techniques: Meditate. Take a walk outdoors (bonus points if there's sunshine). Do some yoga. Get some other exercise. Listen to music you find soothing or inpiring. Ditto with respect to TV shows or movies or hobbies you find soothing or inspiring. Make a list of things you feel grateful for, and add to that list every day . . . and so forth. Substitute new stress management habits, productive ones, for the habits you don't want to consider.

You can do this. You've proven that over many months now. Do it again.

Happy belated birthday, and best wishes for an amazing, healthy year ahead!

Thank you, and thanks for such a thoughtful reply- much appreciated. You and the other two posters contribute so much to this community.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the overthinking comment. I just need to do it instead of making excuses for myself and the poor choices I made (self-sabotage really).
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    You got this. Truly. You've had a week with little restraint; time to get 'back to it'. It's so challenging when we feed our emotions and sometimes we can be going along strong and able then all it takes is 1 thing. Just 1. Then our resolve crumbles. And we find ourselves exactly in your situation.

Today is a new day. And a Monday at that. Mondays, to me, are a good restart point. Plan your food intake, count everything, give yourself some very positive self-talk, move a little more and get outside somewhere quiet and filled with nature. When you feel the need to eat, grab something healthy, drink lots of water, have tea/coffee, chew gum.....whatever it takes until you get over this 'low resolve' period and can feel stronger about sticking to it.

Are you bored with the previous way you were eating to lose all that weight? Maybe some new foods or recipes or change it up a bit. Good luck and find something that will help you back to where you were. A few pounds you can handle; it's not the end of the world. It's that darn spiral that you don't want to let grab you for too long.
  • Svhmaddison
    Svhmaddison Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you all so much, I’ve had a really good day today with food choices and moving more. I’m feeling much more optimistic and forgiving about my “week off” and just carrying on with the journey. I did a food shop earlier and I’ve brought some new meals into the mix as I was eating very samey meals before. More more geared up for autumn now with hearty soups, stews and risotto. I always feel really satiated with hearty warm meals like this.

Thanks again, you’ve all being invaluable with the support and advice.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    A few days back on track and it all feels normal again. The binge feels like a memory, not reality. It just requires patience and going through the motions until you’re just doing it all naturally again. You’ve come so far, this blip won’t stop you.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    At first glance, I thought this was asking for spiritual advice. B) Psychod, you're on fire. Great answers.