i look fatter but i weigh less - these photos are 20 days apart

Options
i’m going insane i’m so upset i haven’t been going to the gym for 3 weeks bc i was busy and the i had to quarantine for 2 weeks

within those 3 weeks i ate badly but in the first photo i’m 143lbs and on the second i was 146lbs so yeah i feel like i’ve lost all my muscle in that short time. i cant even feel happy about being at my lowest weight because i look fatter now

BUT i’m so confused because although i look fatter i now fit comfortably in i’m size 2 jeans whereas 3 weeks ago it was a tight squeeze

what’s your opinions? do you think i really lost muscle and gained fat but if i did why can i now fit in smaller clothes?e2wgtt7avwww.jpeg

Replies

• trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    sorry this is annoying i’m just stressed but it’s really noticeable in my thighs and butt which i’m not that mad at i’m just mad at myself really but i’ve been back on track this week and went from 146 to 143 within this week
  • trulyhealy
    Options
    I don't really see a difference tbh.

i think it’s more obvious in person idk
  • trulyhealy
    Options
    actually come to think of it it could just be water retention because if i did gain lots of fat that made my thighs look bigger (more in person) then surly i wouldn’t fit in a sizer smaller jeans? does this sound like a good explanation?

it’s only day 5 of getting back track and the water weight is dropping a lot idk how much water weight there is to go
  • trulyhealy
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I think if you are a size 2, then you need to stop calling yourself fat because your body image is way off. I agree that you should see a counselor for body dysmorphia.

i meant to say size 10 uk jeans
  • trulyhealy
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I think if you are a size 2, then you need to stop calling yourself fat because your body image is way off. I agree that you should see a counselor for body dysmorphia.

i meant to say size 10 uk jeans

Even then, a 10uk is an 8us or a medium. You’re not “fat”. And if smaller clothes are fitting than you are getting smaller regardless of what you see. How tall are you?

I’m in recovery for an eating disorder and your posts are very triggering. I’d definitely agree with the poster who suggested discussing your body image issues with a counselor.

i was just confused bc my thighs are bigger (more noticeable in person) and my butt too which is a sign of wait gain) but my weight is lower and i fit into a lower size clothing that’s why i’m confused/made this post

and in 5 foot 5 or 5 foot 6

• trulyhealy
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How we see ourselves is affected by more than just how we look, odd as that sounds. If the fit of your clothes says you're smaller, you're smaller.

Very little muscle would be lost by a young person like yourself, in 3 weeks - it would be invisible. What *could* happen in 3 weeks could be losing a bit of water that's retained in muscles after workouts for repair purposes. That water can give a bit of a "pump" or defined look. It would come back quickly once workouts resume, though.

oh i didn’t know that that’s helpful thank you it’s probably water weight and a tiny bit of fat gain from overeating but not a lot since jeans fit now and i also forgot that water retention can happen anywhere in the body and the types of foods i was eating was also a factor

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't really see a difference tbh.

Agree
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I see a positive difference. Your hip to waist ratio looks to have increased to me. But 20 days isn't a long enough period to see massive differences, stay the course!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I could have a different photo from one day to the next. I can wear a pair of jeans one day, but not the next. Once you give up the ideal that your body is going to be exactly the same day after day, you will understand (and adjust your thinking) so that you can give your body the grace it deserves to retain water, fluctuate its hormones, or just be more puffy/bloated on any given day. You seem to be searching for an ideal that you expect to see every day. It's going to be hard to live like that for the rest of your life.
  • sourcandies
    sourcandies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Water weight, fluctuations due to hormones (think menstruation and the weeks leading up to) can cause some fluctuation (including abdomen bloat, breast size, lower body water weight, etc). Depending on what you ate, or drank, if you went out for drinks or maybe didn't drink enough water can cause weight changes. Heck, if you had a bowel movement or not, or constipation could cause scale movement as well (up to 7 pounds).

I don't see a difference between the photos, maybe posture and how your wearing your clothing as slightly different. Lighting can make us think there's something else happening as well. I hope this helps ease any anxiousness.