What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »
    If you could become immortal on the condition you would NEVER be able to die or kill yourself, would you choose immortality?

Being immortal probably wouldn’t make me any more aware that my loved ones will die than I already am, but I would have to come to terms with the fact that I’ll have to be there to witness it. The only bright side to that is knowing that they will never have to die alone in a hospital or nursing home, they’ll have me by their side.

I’d never have to die alone either.

Being immortal might present the opportunity to know more than one or two great lifetime loves. Maybe there could be many. Maybe the joys could outweigh the sorrows of ultimately losing them all.

Interesting to consider

Keep in mind that with the human minds limited capacity for memory, you would eventually completely forget those people you loved ever existed. After long enough, every memory stored in your neural network would be replaced and lost forever. So while your physical body may be immortal, the entity you view as your self would fade away completely.

Yeah, but what if our immortality brought along with it an immortal memory?
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    If you could become immortal on the condition you would NEVER be able to die or kill yourself, would you choose immortality?

Being immortal probably wouldn’t make me any more aware that my loved ones will die than I already am, but I would have to come to terms with the fact that I’ll have to be there to witness it. The only bright side to that is knowing that they will never have to die alone in a hospital or nursing home, they’ll have me by their side.

Being immortal might present the opportunity to know more than one or two great lifetime loves. Maybe there could be many. Maybe the joys could outweigh the sorrows of ultimately losing them all.

Interesting to consider

Keep in mind that with the human minds limited capacity for memory, you would eventually completely forget those people you loved ever existed. After long enough, every memory stored in your neural network would be replaced and lost forever. So while your physical body may be immortal, the entity you view as your self would fade away completely.

The human mind is only limited becuase of age deterioration. If that is no longer a factor, and your mind is as sharp at 300 yrs old as it was at 30......you will never forget. Not to mention there will be generation after generation of losses......there will always be fresh bitter memories.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »

Interesting to consider

The human mind is only limited becuase of age deterioration. If that is no longer a factor, and your mind is as sharp at 300 yrs old as it was at 30......you will never forget. Not to mention there will be generation after generation of losses......there will always be fresh bitter memories.

The human mind is limited by the number of neurons in the human brain.
  • soupy5813
    soupy5813 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Interesting to consider

If a USB drive were to remain completely serviceable for the next billion years and 1 byte of information per second was written to it, it would become full and overwritten. The same for the human mind, we are only able to recall so much, just being a biological storage device doesnt give us infinite memory recall. That being said, you may remember your first love after that memory should have been over written because youve given that memory a certain priority or importance. Your memories could almost become a random collection of important events that make no sense together.
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Interesting to consider

Fair enough.....but it doesnt change that for every memory forgotten new ones will replace it. The memory of your child that you must witness die in this generation will only be replaced by your child you must witness dying in the next. Or, you can choose to avoid close relationships and having family....and that in itself is its own brand of misery.
  • stevehenderson776
    Options

Interesting to consider

Well that's all well and good until you're chained to a rock with an eagle eating your liver every day.
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Interesting to consider

Well that's all well and good until you're chained to a rock with an eagle eating your liver every day.

Or pushing that boulder up the hill.
  • stevehenderson776
    Options

Interesting to consider

Fair enough.....but it doesnt change that for every memory forgotten new ones will replace it. The memory of your child that you must witness die in this generation will only be replaced by your child you must witness dying in the next. Or, you can choose to avoid close relationships and having family....and that in itself is its own brand of misery.

Well sure. That's what I was saying. If you're of the school of thought that what makes the person is that person's experiences, then forgetting every experience that makes you you would be the death of the self even if the physical body lives on. Your psyche would be lost with a new one in its place.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Stormy weather
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

Interesting to consider

I’m not sure I believe this is how it would work.. the mind’s limitations on its capability to store new memories has never really been tested. Would some things be forgotten? Of course. But you don’t remember what you’ve forgotten so that can’t hurt you. And the most meaningful things will have such beaten down neural connections that they’d be impossible to overwrite imo

Plus, the longer you live, the more practice you’d have at learning new coping mechanisms for handling difficult memories. And as time marches on, those things would become a blur along with the good memories.

Just playing devil’s advocate here
  • stevehenderson776
    Options
    Don't know why
    There's no Sun in the sky....
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Stormy weather
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, there is a wee hurricane headed this way. I remain skeptical, mostly because they've said that numerous times this year and it always seems to veer off toward the LA/TX border (poor them!). Aaaaand at worst, so far.. this is predicted to be a Cat 1, which isn't too bad to sit through.
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, there is a wee hurricane headed this way. I remain skeptical, mostly because they've said that numerous times this year and it always seems to veer off toward the LA/TX border (poor them!). Aaaaand at worst, so far.. this is predicted to be a Cat 1, which isn't too bad to sit through.

Be safe. We’ve got more back and forth banter to attend to. 🙂
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

Heh, I'll be surprised if 1.) this this actually comes here like they predict it will and 2.) it actually manages to knock out my power. So chances are, I'd still be around. Everything here is closed/locked down already in preparation, so I can't even go anywhere. :D
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Revolu7 Someone out there in the living room needs help. Hope you don't mind, I'm going to tag you. B)
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options

Heh, I'll be surprised if 1.) this this actually comes here like they predict it will and 2.) it actually manages to knock out my power. So chances are, I'd still be around. Everything here is closed/locked down already in preparation, so I can't even go anywhere. :D

I had issues with lightning knocking out power and blowing the fuses to my well pump. Took 3 times before my insurance followed the electricians recommendations and replaced the fuses with breakers.

Now, imma have fuses again but to the entire house. The mains in are 600 amps. Good lawd they cost a small fortune but should never blow.

600 amps split to 3 200 amp panels. Imma have a full 200 amp dedicated to my workshop. 🤙🏼