Accountability buddy

Options

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi guys so I started but didn’t log for sept my weight was 234. Oct was 228. Nov start is 219.6. I’m doing well I’ve committed to my keto diet and doing well. I had my knee get injured so I’m focused on nutrition and it’s working!
  • peaceful0807
    peaceful0807 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I need a buddy.. Help! :)
  • beshamama
    beshamama Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @peaceful0807 hiya!

I have found that if I post my weight and goals I am more likely to stick to things than if I got it alone.

This past weekend I didn’t log and overindulged in food, candy, beer 😬 back to 167 🤦‍♀️

Goals for this week!
    *stick to calorie budget
    *exercise everyday for at least 45mins
    *no night snacking!!
    *have an alcoholic drink every other day
  • peaceful0807
    peaceful0807 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @beshamama ...thank you so much! :)
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hello to the new folks! I hope you stick around and check in as often as you need for accountability. I lurk every day to keep my motivation, but I only post once a week or so. Post as often as you feel you need to in order to stay on track. You will probably see my "likes" or "hugs" when you do. Definitely post your victories, large or small! I love those.

Halloween has come and gone, and I hope the candy will soon follow. I've had candy (chocolate) way too many days in a row and I know it's inhibiting my goals. I do feel like I've eaten less (most days) than I would have months ago, so there's that. I did buy a new blender so I've been incorporating smoothies in my diet again. That's always a quick way to get in some fruits and veggies without too much work, lol.

My goals for this week:
    Get at least 7k steps a day (I fell off the 10k bandwagon)
    Hike Saturday, walk with my sisters Sunday
    Get more strength training in

My victories from last week:
    I was able to get my daughter out on a hike with me. It was a great two hour activity outside and she didn't complain too much.
    I logged in every day.

Things I need to work on:
    Not eating too much chocolate every day
    Not being completely sedentary after work
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I was satisfied with the way I got through Halloween but I’m not sure I can get through this election without a snacking setback! I’ve got to get a little work done and then I’m going to try to sleep so I don’t give in to emotional eating!😬

@beshamama - Popcorn is a good alternative to chips for fewer calories and less salt. I’m so impressed by your DIY spirit making your snacks ... and so many other things! My microwave is also a confection oven - and my mother gave me an air fryer - but I haven’t been very creative in using them. Sourdough crackers and carrot chips both sound good and I like @highmaintnance’s idea of making hummus. My sister always tells me that hummus is easy to make so I’m going to set a goal to make it before the end of the year.

I had mixed success this week in meeting my goals, but I’m feeling alright with the results because of Halloween and other interruptions. In my last post, I said I was excited to get back to my regular workout schedule but a busy work week (after traveling out of town last week) interfered with my exercise this week! Oh well, so much for that ... At least I’ve managed to stay within my calories and nutrient balance for the most part, so I’ve stayed under 140 but I’m a bit stalled at 138.

I played soccer last week - and I think we even won the championship during the shortened season - but I didn’t make it to the ‘off-season’ pickup games that started this past Sunday. My college-age sons wanted to watch a movie together virtually, and it was a bit rainy and cold, so it was just too easy to bail. 🙄 The friend I planned to walk with also bailed on me this week so I’ll have to keep working to build a new routine as the rowing season comes to an end.

This week looks a little better (except for Sunday soccer!). I exercised online with my rowing group today and we’re planning to get out on the river the next two days. How is everyone else doing?

Best wishes for the coming week!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @willplanet5 - Welcome and good luck to you, too! Are you working toward any particular goal(s)?

@SweetpeaHu - Congratulations on all the positive changes you’ve been able to make, especially lowering your sugar levels to move out of the pre-diabetic range. That’s fantastic! I’m looking forward to more updates. Welcome!

@peaceful0807 - Is there anything especially difficult that you’re facing or are you mainly seeking encouragement and support? Let us know what your goals are and we’ll try to keep you on track to achieve them!

@angelexperiment - I hope your knee is feeling better. It sounds as though you’re doing well so keep up the good work!

@StepWise123 - Your sense of humor really comes through in your post about shifting your grandson to the garage! I love it! I’ve been trying to motivate myself to get rid of all the extra junk around the house but I find myself just moving things from one room to another. You’re inspiring me to make space for a workout area. I made a little progress over the weekend so I hope I can get some momentum going this month. I want to make a lot of progress before my adult children come home during the winter break. If things are in order, they are much better about keeping it that way ... and I hope it’s good training for adulting after college. They pitch in when they’re home but there’s room for growth. I hope you enjoy having your grandson there with you. My oldest son lives on the 3rd floor of my mother’s house so he’s visiting with his grandmother more often, cooking together once a week, etc. He does some shopping and errands for her but not much more ... Once the covid crisis is behind us, he’ll probably move back to the dorms on campus but I appreciate my mother offering to have him stay with her. Her house is close enough for him to visit campus, if he needs to, but it’s safer to be off campus and he has more space with fewer restrictions in her neighborhood.

Let us know how you all are doing and what your plans are for the week ahead. Take care, everyone!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @highmaintnance - It sounds as though you used some good strategies to overcome the candy cravings. I allowed myself one peanut butter cup each day I had the urge and managed to do better this year than previous years. It’s a big help for me when I log my food. If I see the calories adding up, it really makes me think about whether it’s worth the extra ‘treat.’ It sure is easier to eat 100 calories than it is to burn them! I’m glad your enjoying family time while achieving all those steps. Good for you! Hiking and walking are such healthy ways to exercise ... and I find being outdoors brings an extra bit of energy to rejuvenate both body and mind. I wish I had advice on how to avoid being sedentary after work but I understand how hard it can be to break a comfortable routine. I’m going to look for a few walking buddies so I have to show up for them. I wish I could be as committed to myself as I am to others, but that’s still a work in progress! I’ll look forward to hearing how you’re doing with your goals. Thanks for checking in so regularly. I look forward to everyone’s updates!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @skinnylw2016 - I’m sorry to hear you list the content of your posts ... twice! 😬 That’s happened to me and it’s so frustrating. Thanks for your perseverance by capturing your goals in a screenshot. That was a clever work around! I find it more difficult to stay motivated during the winter, too. Have you found any helpful tips to share?

As I noted above, I’m going to try to set up some workout plans with friends. @Highmaintnance also had some great ideas for groups of colleagues to challenge one another with short exercise breaks during the work day. I might suggest that but haven’t tried it yet. In fact, I’m still slouching at the computer- though I’ve improved my posture some what - so, I’m planning to get back to regular PT (physical therapy) appointments once rowing season ends for the winter. I’m hoping to dedicate myself to the shoulder exercises, especially after visiting my mother after she was released from the hospital and seeing how important it is to maintain healthy joints, balance and flexibility. I did a decent job with my goal of stretching a little each day so I’ll keep that commitment going again this week and try to increase from at least 5 minutes every day to 10 minutes per day. How are your plans going this week? Go get those goals!!
  • KMC55
    KMC55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love reading everyone's posts and seeing that the same challenges I have, others do to and seeing how they handle them or just shrug them off when I sit and dwell in misery about it. It really helps to snap me out of it and keep moving forward. I have also found a lot of motivation and reassurance with seeing others eating candy and take-out and still able to have success, it is a matter of tracking and being honest with yourself.

I am working on staying kind to myself and doing away with night eating. I work until midnight, I come home and my husband is in bed so I unwind a little and because I'm by myself I drop all restraint and just eat my way through all the munchie food in the house until I can convince myself to go to bed. I have improved with it but still trying to convince myself that I just need to go to bed, there isn't any reason for me to stay up and eat. I will keep playing with ideas until I find something that works but it is still a work in progress.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @KMC55 - You’re comments were really uplifting for me. You hit on the winning combination of being honest with ourselves while not dwelling on setbacks. My father was a professional level coach and he used to say that guilt is a wasted emotion; and, we’re far better off reflecting on what went wrong, learning from it, and moving on ... That’s much easier said than done, of course, but he was not an optimistic person by nature so he worked hard at using positive self-talk. It was inspiring to me knowing how difficult his childhood was and how dedicated he was to changing negative cycles to positive cycles through practice, repetition and setting small incremental goals to improve.

I’ve heard that guilt and shame can simulate the same kind of brain activity as pride, because all these emotions stimulate the same ‘pleasure’ center of the brain, so choosing an active and positive response is so important. Exercise comes to mind for building endorphins but that’s not helpful when you’re trying to unwind after work in order to get a good night of sleep. I used to really suffer from late-night snacking when my boys were young and I was working a busy job while also going to school. I thought if I had a snack, it would give me some energy to get more done at night but I just ended up procrastinating instead and was not productive because I couldn’t really focus. Now, I enjoy a mindful cup of hot herbal tea and go to bed early so I can wake up with more energy to get through my ‘to do’ list. I like your idea to keep experimenting with what works for you. I’m confident you’ll find a path forward! ...
  • KMC55
    KMC55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    To stay on the same thread, Night Eating, I think mine has to do with being tired. I work hard all day to not allow temptation to take over and eat things that I know are not good for me and not going to allow me to reach my goals. Then I work all day, chores, plan, prep, etc, etc, etc, and by the end of the night I am TIRED. Tired of thinking about food, tired of telling myself "No, you don't want that, it isn't in the calorie budget, you have healthier things to eat, etc, etc." So then I think since no one is around and no one is watching it won't "Count" even though that is a HUGE LIE. Of course it will count because I'm putting the food in my mouth and it doesn't matter if someone watches me eat it or not, it still is going in my body and going to be counted with my calories eaten in a day. It is about being honest with myself and knowing that my goals are more important than anything else.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    First, please excuse all the typos in my earlier posts 🙄 ... *Your comments were uplifting, @KMC55 ... and @skinnylw2016, I’m sorry to hear you *lost* the content of your posts ... twice!

I’m so distracted and upset that the US is so divided! Whatever happens with the election, I hope we can heal over time. We’ll need to learn to suspend judgment of one another long enough to build understanding and bridge the divide.

Peace to all of you! ☮️ ❤️☮️

@KMC55, you can imagine all your ‘Accountability buddies’ are sitting with you after work. Take some deep breathes and give yourself a warm hug for all you’re doing. You deserve to be enveloped in appreciation and good will. Hang in there! 🤗

Please be kind to yourself. I’ll be thinking of you tonight as we all try to find a little more peace from within and radiate it out to the world.
  • Muhammad_Saqlain
    Muhammad_Saqlain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Is this accountability buddy thing only for females?? If not plz add me too. I am 33 y Male, sedentary lifestyle and just started walk and cycling.. Have intervertebral disc prolapse at two levels in lumbar region.. Can't do strenuous exercises...
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @Muhammad_Saqlain - WELCOME! This space is not limited to women; it’s a place for anyone who is interested in encouraging and supporting others as we work to achieve our goals.

Feel free to post your goal(s) here each week - or on a daily or monthly schedule, if you prefer - and then check-in regularly to report your progress and/or let us know how you’re doing. Some people send a direct friend request to others with similar experiences - or who are working toward the same goals - but it’s also fine to just post updates here. Group members have good ideas and advice if you have any specific questions, and we welcome any comments, encouragement or advice you have, too! So, what are your goals? Do you have a plan in place to help you get started or make incremental progress?

You might want to select the ‘star’ icon at the top to bookmark this thread for later. @CatieMae123 recently reminded me that many of the ‘motivation and support’ threads have the same name. We’ll look forward to hearing from you! Good for you for taking this step to improve your health and overall wellness. This is a great group of people with lots of expertise and energy!
  • Muhammad_Saqlain
    Muhammad_Saqlain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @Muhammad_Saqlain - WELCOME! This space is not limited to women; it’s a place for anyone who is interested in encouraging and supporting others as we work to achieve our goals.

Feel free to post your goal(s) here each week - or on a daily or monthly schedule, if you prefer - and then check-in regularly to report your progress and/or let us know how you’re doing. Some people send a direct friend request to others with similar experiences - or who are working toward the same goals - but it’s also fine to just post updates here. Group members have good ideas and advice if you have any specific questions, and we welcome any comments, encouragement or advice you have, too! So, what are your goals? Do you have a plan in place to help you get started or make incremental progress?

You might want to select the ‘star’ icon at the top to bookmark this thread for later. @CatieMae123 recently reminded me that many of the ‘motivation and support’ threads have the same name. We’ll look forward to hearing from you! Good for you for taking this step to improve your health and overall wellness. This is a great group of people with lots of expertise and energy!

Thanks a lot.. Much appreciated 👍
  • StepWise123
    StepWise123 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Uh oh, that garage workout area is colder than I expected. I wonder if my husband will notice his "to do" list is getting longer. Every time I have him do one thing, it causes me to add two more! Now the garage doors need to be insulated!
    Does anyone have issues with eating more when they are anxious? I've started keeping gum around to stave off my tendency to want to eat something crunchy. It seems to help. Then again, if I wouldn't keep turning on the TV for updates .... haven't lost any weight for 2 weeks. Grrr.
  • beshamama
    beshamama Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello all! This week has been a week! I didn’t log my food and I didn’t exercise. And surprise to no one I gained weight ugh! 😑 I found out my little sister’s live in boyfriend has Covid. He and my sis both have weird health problems so I am worried about them.

I do have one NSV though! My mom came over for some day drinking the day after the election 🤣 and she said I look like I’ve lost weight!

Weird exercise question for you all. I keep reading and my hubby is always telling me that exercise is good for mental health. But when I work out right after I feel depressed and sad and just all around miserable. What gives? Does this happen to anyone else? I find if I go for walks or real bike rides I don’t get that depressed feeling. This weird bad mood happens whenever I do any indoor exercise.

Alright new goals for the weekend.
    *Go on a outdoor bike ride
    *Go for a long walk
    *Get back to logging food
    *Don’t get down on myself

• skinnylw2016
    skinnylw2016 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, So this week was 'a game of two halves' (I'm not a football coach by the way!).

The weather was really grim at the beginning of the week and I found I was grabbing any food in sight and putting it in my mouth. My high point/low point was eating half a banana loaf in one evening - not my finest hour!

Second half of week beautiful Autumn days. So I took my morning walks and ran twice this week. I only managed 1 of 2 strength training routines planned for the week but kept to the rest of my goals. I think trying to work something new into my routine might take a bit more thought.

Plan for w/c 9th Nov:-
    Early morning walks- aim for 5 days a week
    3 runs
    2 strength training routines
    Keep logging on MFP

Thanks for motivational messages, it is kind.
    What helped me to get out and walk was subscribing to Audible. I now really enjoy going out on my own listening to some fantastic books.

Good luck for the week ahead.🏃‍♀️👍
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @StepWise123 - I tend to eat unhealthy snacks, take-out food, or quick-to-prepare meals when I’m anxious - especially when I have a full day of back-to-back meetings or sedentary work projects, like writing reports - that I have to get done. I find it easy to procrastinate by snacking. I can see how chewing gum might be a good way to address the sugar craving and get rid of the unhealthy energy that can accompany anxiety. I try to slow down and make a plan to deal with it through exercise, a relaxing bath, or a snack that’s ‘on the edge’ (I.e., it might put me over my calorie limit but not sabotage the whole day) but that can take a lot of mental energy, which was in low supply for me this week!! I might try the gum chewing idea when I’m writing my next report! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

@beshamama, I’m so sorry to hear the news about your sister and her boyfriend testing positive for COVID! It’s an important reminder for all of us to be extra careful and also realize that this MFP work to improve our health and fitness brings the added benefit of making it more likely we can prevent - and overcome - the adverse effects of seasonal flu, COVID-19, etc. I hope your family members recover fully and quickly! In response to your question ...

Generally, exercise helps improve my mood. I often say, “putting my sneakers on and getting out the door are the most difficult aspects of fitness for me” because, once I get started, I gain momentum and feel great. Being outside can bring an extra boost so it sounds as though that’s a good path for you - walking and biking - since it’s easier to build a habit around what we like. There are times when I feel angry or sad and a good run will help me work through my emotions or negative thoughts by pounding the pavement 🏃‍♀️ or allowing myself a good cry along the way 😭. By the end, I can usually formulate a plan of action and know the steps I need to take.

Have you been able to identify what it is about indoor exercise that bothers you?

For me, it might be that I need to be alone with my thoughts and indoor facilities might not give me the space I need with so many people in closer proximity. There’s something about nature and the ‘organized complexity’ of life among the birds, flowers, etc... that help me trust that I can find order through the chaos, too. So, that’s my very long way of encouraging you to go with what works for you! Enjoy your long walks and bike ride this week!

One of my goals for this week is to keep trying to improve my stretching, which I’ve been doing fairly well with overall. I still need to build more consistency into my routine by dedicating a little time to it each day. I’m weighing in at a steady 137 now; but, I have some non-weight and fitness goals in mind for this week so I’m just planning to maintain this level in the coming week. My main goals this week relate to staying connect to family and friends, and offering support to people who are suffering during this difficult time of dealing with the pandemic as well as economic and social unrest. I’ll stay within my calorie limit - and exercise a minimum 3 days (rowing along with more stretching) - but, I’m not going to put too much pressure on myself to reach the 5-pound incremental loss by the date I set in our challenge. I’ll go back to my previous post to check the date I set for the challenge and update the group later in the week on that ... For now, I’m trying to get some ‘care packages’ out early in the week (Monday or Tuesday) so I won’t have a chance to focus on the 5-pound challenge until the end of the week. Best wishes to all of you in reaching your goals!!