confessional thread

Replies

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Scene: Dad's hospital bed with only a few days left to live.

The hospice nurse hands me a little cup and swab to use to lubricate his drying mouth. At this point he didn't respond to anything and I knew exactly how to "reach" him.

I called my brother to pick up a Budweiser to smuggle into the hospital. We filled that cup up and soaked that *kitten* with beer, it was his beverage of choice.

He grabbed onto that sponge like it was candy! I'll be damned if I was going to pass up my last opportunity to have a beer with my Dad.

RIP 🍻❤️

I hope my kids do this for me ... 🍻
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    I want to lose pounds/fat to be within a healthy weight range to prevent some potential issues down the road (although so far I'm healthy per lab work), but... I have no desire to be "fit". I'm 100% okay with not having toned arms, a flat stomach or a thigh gap.

This sometimes, I feel, puts me at odds with a lot of users here. Not that anyone has been judgmental (that I've seen), but that I feel like an imposter. I sit around, talk a bunch, pick at my diary here and there, sometimes walk (mostly don't) and lose track of "staying on track" more often than not.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with wanting those things, but.. it just isn't for me. Which I get isn't the aesthetic most here are going for and thus, it leads me to feeling like I'm just an imposter. It also means, I won't get all the awesome upvotes and comments on photos like some do here because I will never be working toward those particular goals and those things seem to be super desirable to folks here, so...

Yeah, now I'm in a weird head space.

You are more similar to others than you think. You say it in the first few words of your post......"i want to lose pounds/fat".....that is important to you, it was your lead in to your whole post so psychologically it has to be. But after that your secondary idea is that you arent concerned with aesthetics. Thats good, to do it for just that is foolish and fleeting for most. However, it seems you are unhappy with not staying on some type of healthier course and in turn make it about not being your thing, and saying ill just be ok with not getting upvotes and comments on photos. First off, i see tons of great comments to you and lots of compliments on everything you post, so i dont think that is a real issue.

Whether you realize it or not you are part of the majority....here, and pretty much everywhere. You want to lose weight, you arent here to be a fitness model, you want to be healthy, but you find it hard to stay on track. I bet thats a lot of people's story. I know as a trainer ive heard it hundreds of times.

I pretty much have worked out since i was 12. I have never once as an adult have been concerned with the aesthetics of my look. Its merely a by product of working out and eating to achieve other goals i have had in life. It just happens whether you care about the look or not. I think you are a top notch person from what i read of you here, i dont think wanting to be heathier is going to change you in anyway thats a negative.....but wanting something and rationalizing why you dont do it may.

Thank you; I took a chance posting this hoping I'd get insight from someone else who doesn't live in my head and doesn't know me in person.

You are correct. I am probably only seeing a teeny tiny bit of what others here are experiencing (IE. the focus on the aesthetics as opposed to the health benefits). It also comes across when I'm reading the opinions thread or any of the other threads in which appearance comes up, but.. again, that is only (probably) a small modicum of what any given person is thinking about something.

I do feel I lack a lot of discipline and willpower that others seem to possess. I know those are finite resources, though. They aren't always present and they need to be replenished for most people. It just seems I trip over my own two feet a lot, as it were. I never seem to come out on top of the discipline game and I'm not sure how to develop habits to work toward that end. I admire a lot of folks here for doing what they do; because I know it isn't easy.

Also, I really do enjoy watching the progress of others and seeing what their meals (the ones they make) look like. It's refreshing to know that most of us are similar, but different. It's one of the things I enjoy about the forums.
  • Miz_Owl
    Miz_Owl Posts: 3,026 Member
    I relate to this post .
    You're not alone .
    I want to lose pounds/fat to be within a healthy weight range to prevent some potential issues down the road (although so far I'm healthy per lab work), but... I have no desire to be "fit". I'm 100% okay with not having toned arms, a flat stomach or a thigh gap.

This sometimes, I feel, puts me at odds with a lot of users here. Not that anyone has been judgmental (that I've seen), but that I feel like an imposter. I sit around, talk a bunch, pick at my diary here and there, sometimes walk (mostly don't) and lose track of "staying on track" more often than not.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with wanting those things, but.. it just isn't for me. Which I get isn't the aesthetic most here are going for and thus, it leads me to feeling like I'm just an imposter. It also means, I won't get all the awesome upvotes and comments on photos like some do here because I will never be working toward those particular goals and those things seem to be super desirable to folks here, so...

Yeah, now I'm in a weird head space.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2020
    The all or nothing approach to food affects every area of our life. It doesn't only apply to food. It leads to a very narrow and rigid way of thinking about everything. When we edge UP against others who operate by All or Nothing thinking we are bound to rub others the wrong way. I no longer give two horsesheets about any of that. They can't bite me or take away my birthday.

Just because someone has moved over to no longer eating all of the things, they're still very much All or Nothing. There's the Honeymoon Phase of weight loss when you think you've got it all going on and figured out. Just wait.
    Would you let me weigh in on this.

My favorite mode of transportation is flying by the seat of my pants. I like free thinkers. There is no box. There's no such thing as the perfect time to start and there's no such thing as the Finish Line. I read chitchat and have received some really great insight about everything. Some of the smartest people are sitting right out here on the sidelines and they move me, really move me. They are the beating hearts of this outfit.

I don't understand the secret lingo and codes in chitchat because I'm just a chick from the sticks. I don't care, I still like all of it. A lorra lorra. I read your heartfelt testimonies and stories. I have tears running down my face, too. You'd better believe I do when I read the tough things you're going through.

All or Nothing thinking wants you to think just like them even when someone has crossed over into their rigid dieting phase and out of eating all the things. It never ever lasts. It may not be this year. It may be 5 years down the road but there will be consequences and blowback from too much rigid dieting and narrow thinking.

I'm still flying by the seat of my pants. I just float around and try to fit in which is mostly nowhere. I'm going on.
    Do everything on your own terms. Give yourselves permission to do your own thinking come hail or high water.
    Your life may depend on it one day.

My heroes have always been normal people. We are more than a body. We are more than a calorie burner. Each one of us has far more to offer this world than our skin and muscles. Find that.

I have a song because that's just the way I roll. It's dedicated to all of the free thinkers in here that I love, even from the sidelines out here in sagebrush.

https://youtu.be/o5zb0WTSLsY?t=4

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I read chitchat and have received some really great insight about everything.

you're welcome.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    Scene: Dad's hospital bed with only a few days left to live.

The hospice nurse hands me a little cup and swab to use to lubricate his drying mouth. At this point he didn't respond to anything and I knew exactly how to "reach" him.

I called my brother to pick up a Budweiser to smuggle into the hospital. We filled that cup up and soaked that *kitten* with beer, it was his beverage of choice.

He grabbed onto that sponge like it was candy! I'll be damned if I was going to pass up my last opportunity to have a beer with my Dad.

RIP 🍻❤️

I hope my kids do this for me ... 🍻

If not, I will ,😇

I’ve told them all - if I ever become home bound or need care they better get me a hot nurse/caretaker so - I’ll keep hold of you’re resume 😉
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @Motorsheen You're my spirit animal and you've rubbed off on me. You've taught me everything I know about making things move. Sometimes, I get glimpse of your face.
  • cowsfan12
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I read chitchat and have received some really great insight about everything.

you're welcome.

I insightfulled the hell outta this
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    I'd planned to do so much with my day off work. Instead I've practically spent all day sat by the fire doing nothing at all.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Dave's not here
  • cowsfan12
    Dave's not here

Nah man - it’s me Dave
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Dave's not here

Nah man - it’s me Dave

Dave's not here
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Dave's not here

Nah man - it’s me Dave

Dave's not here

Dave ?
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Dave's not here

Nah man - it’s me Dave

Dave's not here

Dave ?

Who's Dave?
  • cowsfan12
    Dave's not here

Nah man - it’s me Dave

Dave's not here

Dave ?

Who's Dave?

IT’S ME DAVE MAN!!
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    also i assume dave is code for something maybe weapon or mistress or secret candy stash
  • cowsfan12
    also i assume dave is code for something maybe weapon or mistress or secret candy stash

You’ve never heard the skit?? Surely you jest ??