WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I am delighted that your doctor holds your surgeon in high regard. That is good news for you. I’m looking forward to you telling us that you’re enjoying your tea after the surgery is complete. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Michele: Call your daughter and wish her a Happy Thanksgiving. Use a smart phone if you and your daughter both have access to see one another. Let the pandemic run its course and then celebrate Thanksgiving with your daughter’s family when it is safe for everyone. We won’t see our adult children and grandchildren except by iphone or Zoom. :ohwell:

Flea: My good friend lost her sweet old black Lab. She searched for a dog to adopt and found a young adult Lab at the Albany Humane Society. The dog is sweet and well trained. Her former owner got a job in another state and couldn’t take his dog with him, so he took her to the Humane Society. My friend and her dog are both happy. I hope your wait is not a long one. :heart:

Machka: Your strawberries are gorgeous! :smiley:

Annie: I am so sorry that your daughter has been out of your life since 2019. I hope she eventually contacts you and healing can begin. :heart:

(((bwcetc:))) I hope things turn out well. :flowerforyou:

Tracey in Edmonton: I hope that Ember settles in to her new home with you in a few days. :star: I hope the CoVID testing in your facility doesn’t show many residents are affected. :heart:

Faetta: I live in Columbia County. I’m happy that our CoVID numbers are relatively low, with only 2 deaths. That said, 405 cases seem high to me. I suspect most, or nearly all, of those who caught the virus are people who commute to Portland for work. :heart: Dear Sister in Law lives in Malheur County where things are more worrisome. They show 2,266 cases and 39 deaths. She has said things that lead me to believe many of the CoVID cases there are migrant farm laborers. :cry:

One of our window shades had a cord break today and DH is working on fixing it. I am standing by to help if needed. He has the skill and I do not.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    i9kz5wfxabh9.jpg
    found an old pic of eldest in his chubby, cute, Renn kid phase. <3

Now. <3 (well not actually now, more 2014 when middle son married).
    i2cemcikup7u.jpg

same smile!
    Rebecca

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Tracey-The pup is adorable.

Barbara-Thanks for sharing chart-I had not seen that specific one. We have a stay at home advisory, so we will see how it works. We have the mixture in our state and my county. Some people have been cautious from the start. Some think it is nothing but a flu. Some think it doesn’t exist. I really think there are a mixture of reasons why people think what they do. I went to store early this am for a last run so I can stay home. I did not notice anyone without a mask and only a few who haven’t figured out that their nose expels air the same as mouth! I figure if they take more care in public areas it is good.

Julie-bone marrow puncture does not sound like fun. I hope it gives them the information to figure out your
    issue.

Lisa-I don't have your issues but I can get some awesome toots sometimes. I think some of it is the probiotics and part is just that it seems like as people get older, they get the walking toots. Add in a medical issue and it just compounds it. I do agree the eau de toot is probably related to the infection.

Allie-recovery prayers for you.

No excitement today. Got laundry done (including the ironing some of you wonder about). Straightened up the basement pantry. Ordered Christmas gifts for my executive team at work (not 100% sure how I will get them to them, but they each come to office at least once a week so I will make a run in one day and leave them on their desk). Got them lighted gnomes. I love those darn gnomes and I think I wanted an excuse to get the lighted ones. Also got them an ornament with the Grinch on it that says 2020-Stink, Stank, Stunk. Since I have 11 I buy for at work, I don't go overboard and I get each of them the same thing.

Got a fair bit of movement in today but no extended walk. Needed to put my legs up due to my issues still flaring up. I see the doctor Wednesday so I guess I can darn well behave for a few more days.

Rained most of today and more expected tomorrow. Will do some more sorting while watching the Browns play tomorrow.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Okie!!! That tree. Wow. What a beautiful room. Good for you.

Beth -- I am so very sorry for the stress and anxiety. I think you made the right choice for your son. I am happy that he was able to advocate so well for himself.

Allie -- I hope everything is going well for you.

My husband has spent all of his spare time looking at pictures of puppies. <3

Take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    To that, I have a question for you all. I periodically get these terrible migraine-like headaches. There is no "routine" as to when they appear. Sometimes I get them twice in a month and sometimes I will go 3-4 months and have none. I haven't been able to link them to anything in particular, like a food or alcohol.

They are always right behind my right eye. I can't do much by lay in a dark room. Usually it goes on for 48 hours. I can almost set a timer by it. Do any of you have these, have had these, or have any insight to what this may be or what to do about it?

Thanks.
    Tina in CA

When I had migraines, they didn't hurt much. They presented like mini-strokes or seizures combined with a mild headache. And yes, I had all sort of tests. Coffee seemed to be the main trigger. I was drinking about 15 cups of coffee a day! When I cut back to 2-3 cups, they went away.

However, I have a headache just about every day, and get the behind the eye headaches quite frequently.

I'm guessing these things might be a cause ...

Weather - low pressure systems
    Ovulation and Menstruation (hormone fluctuation)
    Allergies
    Teeth grinding
    Stress
    Vision - staring at computer
    Hydration - or more specifically, lack of it.

The behind the eye headaches are worse than some of my headaches, but better than my (fortunately rare) back of the head headaches.

I usually take an allergy pill, sinus pill, and painkiller with a tall glass of water to see if that will ease things.

sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Heather-sending good thoughts re your meeting with the doc. My mister has high iron levels and is borderline hemochromatosis. His mother had the same. He would not have know to watch for it if he didn't peruse her medical records after her passing. He takes turmeric supplements every day, which is supposed to help block iron absorption. He also has to request they check his iron periodically. They won't do it, unless he asks. If your levels are low, you can take a supplement. Easy fix.

I recommend everyone get results and watch for patterns.

Tina in CA

I also have iron levels that sit right on the border between normal and high ... so Drs didn't mention it until I finally had one Canadian Dr who went through the list of bloodwork results and commented.

Here in Australia, I get a copy of the bloodwork as a matter of course, and can see where my iron level is.

At one time, before I knew about my iron levels, I tried taking an iron pill but felt awful!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    No exercise today. I’m giving my foot time to heal. I didn’t wear the boot while at work and after a while I could feel that without thinking I’d bend the top of my foot while walking. So as soon as I got out of there on went the boot. I’m planning to wear it in Iowa. I know Jess will freak when she sees it, but I just want it to heal quicker. Really not planning any exercise for tomorrow, either

Michele NC

Do you wear stiff-soled shoes?

With the arthritis in my feet, I have to wear stiff soled shoes for walking and find that the flat sneakers with really thick soles are very comfortable.

M in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tracey and Flea. The tree is on my back porch. I haven’t opened the right box to find the tree topper yet. I’ll find it tomorrow when I start on inside. I put it up earlier than normal, but I wanted it up while we watch Football on the porch tonight.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie - thinking of you, girlie. Hope all went well.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Just talked to Jess, told her I’d made the cake for her. She just said “Colby likes that nasty pumpkin pie”. So tomorrow I’m thinking I’ll make a healthy pumpkin pie. I remember we got one last year at the store and I thought there was a lot of crust.

M
    - The only time I wear stiff soled shoes is when in summer I wear my Birkenstocks

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    edited November 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

M
    - The only time I wear stiff soled shoes is when in summer I wear my Birkenstocks

Michele NC

With your foot pain, you might consider looking for stiff soled shoes. That was something my podiatrist recommended to me.

When I shop for shoes now, I check them to see if they bend, and if they do, I put them back.

I have two different pair of black ones like this, and they are really comfortable. :) I was a bit sceptical at first, but I love wearing them.

schdicvt8c22.png

Ah ... like these ...

c2jn2ejpwwiz.png

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    finished with my Christmas cards, so ya'll might be getting one from me, no need to send one back if you aren't into sending cards. Just know you are thought of by me. <3

I have sweet memories of my mother bonding with our huge toddler sized turkey. She would get up periodically throughout the night before Thanksgiving, changing its water, in the sink. Then in the morning, she'd take it out of the bag, rinse it, and gently rub oil over its body. It was our job to make the "bed" that would be the fancy dining room table. First layer the pad, second layer the color, which we had a nice orange huge cloth. Next came the lace tablecloths. We normally had an add on card table that the kids sat at. That one got the plain sheet with the lace tablecloth with the stain on the corner. We would find the glass pickle containers and the containers for the black olives. While people came, then dined on celery filled with cream cheese, or peanut butter. I got to fill the milk glass pepper mills, and the salt shakers. Such a production, but it was exciting. Now I open boxes, add butter, or milk or water. But I still pay attention to details, and realize, I will never come close to the production I grew up with, (as it should be). <3

Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

Rebecca, THANK YOU for sharing your memory. We used to help with all the prep work for the holiday dinners. All the family getting together with so much food. Now, I will cook a small meal for the three of us then take food over to mother in law. Husband has to work both Thanksgiving and the day after(his birthday) and my parents are going to one of their neighbor's house to join them. I so miss family get togethers. We will be up there for Christmas but most likely, it will be just us, no cousins, most likely my younger sister will be working most of it but may come out for a quick visit although a good chance she won't- the virus is crazy where she is working and she doesn't want to risk giving it to my parents. We are being very careful so we can be up there with them.

Went shopping today, trying to find an angel- flat wooden/felt/foam/?? to put on the top of the tree wall hanging I am doing for former mother in law. WHAT is going on this year- no angels- checked all over, Michael's and three dollar stores and found none. Husband said it is because they are not "politically correct". SO wrong!!. I know we could have found something at Hobby Lobby but the line to get in was crazy long. All stores are limiting customers to 25% of capacity. Saturdays are busy there anyways but we really didn't want to wait to get in.
    Husband came home and tried again to print one on his 3D printer(had fails on it when he tried last time). Turned out out good for a base, now I need to decorate it so I can get the tree done and shipped back to Indiana this coming week. I want her to enjoy it as long as possible.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,738 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I just popped in to see if we had heard anything from Allie too. She’s on my mind.
  • Katla49
    Options
    I’ve been thinking of Allie, too. I hope her surgery went well. I also hope we hear from her in the next few days. <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Lisa I have definitely heard doctors complain about people reading online about health stuff, but who doesn't. Indeed they can say things like, "you can't trust everything you read online" I put credence in official sites like mayo clinic and other medline plus..

@Annie, Happy Birthday to you. What kind of cake did your mom make? That is sad for your daughter. I hope that changes.

@Allie Like Flea, my dad had 2 open heart surgeries : a triple bypass and a quintuple bypass, and lived long time. He also had good doctors like you do. When his dr gave him the prognosis, which, back then, was more risky, my Dad said "but having a really good doctor/place means I have an even better prognosis."
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, take BP, OSPHO’d rust, wiped down top, sides and innards of Aunt Elsie’s stove, put burner grates in ammonia to soak away decades of grease, watched STAS Day 17 (side)
    Bonus: 2 hrs line danced at the port, reconciled savings/checking accounts, paid credit card bill (now where will the $$ come from? [gulp] ), donated two chairs, motorcycle helmet and boots (and a box of miscellany) to the Humane Society Thrift Store. Opened another box. [shudder]
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, FINISH cleaning Aunt Elsie’s stove parts, tape then paint back and under burner steel with high heat paint, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs. Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments
    New Ways November
    20 make a meal using a recipe or ingredient you’ve never tried before: hmm time to try curried lentils?”
    21 learn a new skill from a friend or share one of yours with them: might ask T for an intro to sewing session.

While clearing space in the garage for the stove guy to work, Joe and I were at odds. Everything I did, ran counter to what he’d planned, and vice versa. At one point Joe complaind about me keeping a furniture store. Wondering if Joe’s irritation with my clinging to stuff associated with Mama and Papa, could be because he didn’t have those good associations? Hmm. In any case, when my initial, kneejerk reaction to his attitude was snippy, “Thank you, Barbara for donating two of Mama and Papa’s chairs” (sometimes I say what I wish he’d’ve said), later I backpedaled and asked what I could do to help him. We finished the job amicably, he returned to the man cave and I could get on with what I’d set out to do: progress on cleaning Aunt Elsie’s stove. Today it was painting all the badly rusted surfaces with OSPHO, and doing the 3rd or was it 4th degrease, this time with ammonia (angels singing here, ammonia REALLY works.)

Heather What IS it with front office medical staff these days anyway? Good on you for checking your results online. Knowledge is power.
    Lisa thankful to hear the good edema and RHR news. Back in the day when Doctors acted like they thought they were gods, perhaps they’d have felt tender toed, but today, they’re all so overextended their patients MUST check their own results as part of their self-advocacy/care. I think most good doctors today wouldn’t mind, but almost expect it of us.
    Flea, couldn’t help myself. You said “puppy”. these appeal to mehttps://www.petfinder.com/dog/tayberry-49850942/or/oregon-city/4-legged-friends-tx2340/
    https://www.petfinder.com/dog/dolorita-or10781-t-49859741/or/beaverton/mutts-meows-rescue-tx1399/
    But this one looks like Shadow https://www.petfinder.com/dog/onyx-local-dec-19-20-49849891/or/hillsboro/animal-rescue-kingdom-ark-tx971/
    Annie so sorry to hear of the estrangement. Keep praying, miracles happen.
    Beth praying for negative test results and swift resolution of the caregivers’ appalling lack of care.
    Tracey good for you for gradually exposing Ember to strange noises, while allowing her to retreat when needed. Hugs to lucky little Ember who has such a great DogGrandma.
    Tina was thinking what Fae said. Suspect Joe’s glaucoma has been masquerading as headaches for awhile.
    Sue in WA fingers X’d for DD’s dental fix. Really stinks to have to have a do-over.
    Michele you are cultivating a good positive attitude about Christmas. Brava.
    Okie :love: that tree!
    Rebecca your mother’s thanksgiving production sounds like my Mama’s, except you forgot the watermelon pickles! Her “issues” sound like Mama’s too! :laugh: beautiful pics.
    Julie good luck Tuesday!
    Ginny “…stink, stank, stunk” :laugh: Truth that!
    Machka headaches that presented like mini strokes or seizures? OMG. So glad the main trigger (coffee) is something over which you have choice/control.
    Allie praying real hard your recovery is swift, painless and complete. ((hugs))

Wanted to ask C what she and her DH did for their anniversary, then realized they couldn’t travel, or go out to dinner or to a show or anything, so I might not want to hear what they did :devil:. Started to get down about C-19 restrictions. Volunteers put up holiday lights every year in Azalea Park as a fundraiser but also as a way to lighten the winter nights. This year cancelled as impossible to enforce social distancing in the park. But oh! Those creative volunteers. Instead, they’re installing their displays along highway 101 for all to enjoy as they drive past. Gave me quite a lift this afternoon as I drove home in the near dark. Katla & Rita I’m feeling the shortened days too and will grasp at anything to keep me from “and dark is my only companion.”

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 20, weigh: 21, steps>5491=8531 vits=21 log=21 CI<CO=18 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=21 mfp=21 outside=18 up hill=17
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=3 dance=2 clean 30 mins=11.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=13 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka headaches that presented like mini strokes or seizures? OMG. So glad the main trigger (coffee) is something over which you have choice/control.
    Allie praying real hard your recovery is swift, painless and complete. ((hugs))

Wanted to ask C what she and her DH did for their anniversary, then realized they couldn’t travel, or go out to dinner or to a show or anything, so I might not want to hear what they did :devil:. Started to get down about C-19 restrictions. Volunteers put up holiday lights every year in Azalea Park as a fundraiser but also as a way to lighten the winter nights. This year cancelled as impossible to enforce social distancing in the park. But oh! Those creative volunteers. Instead, they’re installing their displays along highway 101 for all to enjoy as they drive past. Gave me quite a lift this afternoon as I drove home in the near dark. Katla & Rita I’m feeling the shortened days too and will grasp at anything to keep me from “and dark is my only companion.”

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 20, weigh: 21, steps>5491=8531 vits=21 log=21 CI<CO=18 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=21 mfp=21 outside=18 up hill=17
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=3 dance=2 clean 30 mins=11.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=13 play=0 sew=0

I had those sorts of headaches back in my early 20s. Fortunately I haven't had them again since I reduced my caffeine intake. :)

I'm glad to hear that people are being creative with the lights. My aunt in BD posted something recently about a drive-through lights display which sounded nice.

(((Allie)))

M in Oz