WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Nice weekend.
    Got some cycling in.
    Power washed an outdoor table and part of our driveway.
    Sanded part of the table.
    Got some sun.

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Allie - Yay!!! <3<3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Allie- Yea! Rest well, dear friend! You will be up and at em in no time! Love and hugs!! KJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Just looked up the uninsured cost of Allie's surgery. €164, 000.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Hello,I made it....feel like i got runnover by a freight train... but i made it.

OutSTANDing! Take care of yourself for us, check in when you can... Glad you're back with us... <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :)Allie Thanks for letting us know you made it through your surgery. Follow directions and you'll be better than your old self before long.

:)Flea, after the loss of our beloved Brandy, Jake started immediately looking for the next dog. I couldn't bear to think of another dog and I told him that it would be like me looking for a new husband right after his death. He didn't seem to get it. I refused to talk about a new dog and then one day I was ready. That's when we found Bessie on petfinder.com.

:) We are paying attention to what the medical profession says about going out, gathering with others, etc. This is a medical crisis, not a political or legal one. Nobody comes into our house because it's not safe, not because of any local or state rule.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • jamisina66
    jamisina66 Posts: 4 Member
    @okiewoman510
    We were stationed in OK from June of 2018-February 2020! My first and only spring there was terrifying for this Californian! 😬😁
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    jamisina66 wrote: »
    @okiewoman510
    We were stationed in OK from June of 2018-February 2020! My first and only spring there was terrifying for this Californian! 😬😁

I miss those big thunderstorms we would get in the spring. I don’t miss tornadoes touching down, but I do miss seeing them spinning away at a safe distance.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    jamisina66
    Welcome and visit us often. Is there a name you would like for us to remember you by? :)

Allie
    So glad to hear the operation is over and praying for your quick recovery.

Rebecca
    The photo of your young self with Mimi reminds me so much of Athena!

Carol in GA

• jamisina66
    jamisina66 Posts: 4 Member
    @Peach1948

Oops-forgot that! Jamie is my name!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    M – I’m quite sure the pain is a stress fracture from exercise.

When Vince went to VA to help Colby move to Iowa, he found out that at hotels they don’t have breakfasts. What I mean is that they don’t have a buffet like they do, they only have limited things, and there’s nothing that he liked so he just had a banana. So I’m taking oatmeal for me and poptarts (that’s what he wanted!) for Vince. I have some of the almond milk in individual containers so I’ll take that since it doesn’t need refrigeration. So we probably won’t even have to leave the hotel room!

Have the healthy pumpkin pie in the oven right now. Hope Colby likes it. I know that I do

The microwave crapped out, I think the magnetron went. The first thing Vince thought of was “how will Cheryl heat up Lexi’s food?” To be honest, that didn’t cross my mind. Fortunately, we have a microwave that we had downstairs from when we lived in the apartment here in NC so Vince brought that up. Yes, it’s a counter microwave, not over the oven, but it works. Isn’t it something how we get used to appliances?

Made the bed that Steve stayed in then got together the Christmas gifts I have made/bought already. I have a list. Maybe when Vince is in a better mood I’ll ask him what else we should get people. I heard on the radio today that you should order gifts early.

Barbara
    – for a while there I used to get upset at Denise and her lack of Christmas (like helping cook, we had to practically beg her to come here, her ungratefulness about her gifts). But I realized that only I'd get upset and it would ruin my Christmas. So now I’m trying not to get upset. I truly believe that it’ll come back to her. PJ just might say something when he gets older.

Allie
    – how wonderful! You may feel like you got run over by a train now, but in a few weeks you’ll feel like a new woman

Jamie
    – welcome!

Michele NC
    Who is off to make our bed then pack. The more I think of it, the more we need to pack. Before it was just food for me, now it’s food for the both of us. For multiple days. Need to remember sanitizing wipes.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbara: I know ammonia works, but did you need a gas mask? Open air location? Ammonia fumes can be intense. :star:

Allie: Thank goodness you are okay!!!! I am so happy to see your post. :heart: :star::heart:

Barbie: I agree that this is a medical crisis. It involves the health and welfare of the public as a group and as individuals. It also has a political aspect. Our governor has set rules in Oregon to help keep the citizens safe and reduce CoVID caused deaths. At this time that includes closing gyms, restricting restaurants to take out, and wearing masks in public. Grocery stores and pharmacies are open. So are hardware stores & the liquor store. Medical and dental offices are open and set their own safety rules for everyone who goes through their doors. I long for the days when this is all done and a chapter in world history books. :heart:

Jamie: Welcome to a great group! We have friends here from many states, provinces, and countries. Where do you call home? :huh:

I have no definite plans for today. I would like to go out to the stable and ride my friend’s horse. I hope I’ll be able to go, but DH is not feeling well. Perhaps a good dose of coffee will lead to a decision we both like.

Katla in foggy NW Oregon
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited November 2020
  • KJLaMore
    Good morning all! I am alive and kicking; but it was a very trying week with the two potty trainees. The first day we had 12 accidents between the two boys! The second day we were down to eight accidents; but both boys had bms in their underwear. :( The rest of the week we managed to get by with two to three accidents each day from each boy. So exhausting. I felt like I was living in the bathroom. We would go outside to play and one of the boys would have to go potty or have an accident and we were ALL back in the house to get it taken care of, because my yard is not fenced and the street is a busy one; so no kids outside without me. It was just crazy. The parents have texted me since Friday and they are having "naked weekends" and the boys are making it onto the potty more often, now! lol I just have to get through Wednesday and then I have the four days off for the holiday! Whoot!
    Anyhow, I was able to sleep in this weekend and had nothing really pressing that needed to be done. Today, I am getting a desk set up in our spare room because I am getting one of my older school kids (he's five; so not that old) back for the rest of the year as schools are going virtual. He will have two half hour zoom sessions at his desk, then will stay in the kitchen with me (and the other school kids) during nap time and do some schoolwork/quiet play. I also need to rehang a curtain rod and a new medicine cabinet in one bathroom. Nothing exciting.
    Oh! Tim got our enormous wreath hung up outside our house! It is a big (six foot circumference) wreath; and he did it himself! Usually he asks me to come hold the ladder; I guess he was feeling really good to not even ask me. Maybe someone has been sneaking him some potbrownies?
    Beth- So sorry to hear what has been going on with your son; but so glad you are bringing him home for a while! I bet you are very proud that he stood up for himself and that someone recognized that ability to do so! Looks like that ability runs in both parents!
    Annie- Happy belated birthday!
    Heather- Happy belated anniversary! Your walk sounds divine! Your dinners always sound delish! I like to think about you and your hubs. It seems to me you are both in a "very good place", physically, mentally, spiritually. hugs to you both!
    Machka- The pics from your walks are beautiful! Isn't it wonderful to live so close to water and have easy access to nature/trails?! That is what I like best about where I live. Did anyone guess what the two white things/sculptures are?
    My guess would be giant bike trainers.
    Barbara- I love what the community did with the lights! What a wonderful way to lift people's moods! I giggled when you mentioned Joe being snippy with you while you were cleaning a space for the stove guy. Tim is that way; I generally find that I am not the reason for his pissy attitude. He is usually angry about something else, in pain, or upset that things seem out of his control. Men are strange creatures.
    Debbie- There have been shortages on decorations and things like that in my area, as well. Not sure if it is due to less/nothing coming in from China (where a lot of it is made) or if more people are decorating early due to the rough year...?
    Michele- I totally get why you are travelling to be with Jess and Colby for Thanksgiving. I am sure you will take care and use your masks, hand sanitizer, wash hands etc. Being away from family for the holidays is hard. I am an old hand at this; so this year, for me, really is no different than any other year. I guess that is a blessing, right? lol Not sure what you mean by a "healthy pumpkin pie". Pumpkin pie is already the healthiest dessert pie you can have during the holidays! Not much sugar, lots of pumpkin, and only one crust! Nothing "nasty" about that! lol
    Rebecca- I love all of the pictures and family stories you share! Such a wonderful, rich history and so well kept! And you are one of those people, who when I see a child photo of, I know immediately who it is! It seems funny to say "you haven't changed" because of course you have; but really, You haven't changed! lol
    Flea- So sorry to hear about your pup! Since your hubby is looking at pics of pups, is he thinking of finding another one to give some love to? I really miss having a dog. The only way I could do it, would be if I had the funds to build a dog run and house for it in my back yard (due to daycare). No $$ now; maybe in a few years...
    Okie- Love tree and deco! I always have tree envy. IF I put up a tree this early, the kids would have it dismantled within a week or two. So I always have to wait until a little closer to Christmas.
    Tina- migraines are the worst! I used to get them often (about once or twice a month). They would last for a day or two and usually include vomiting and needing it to be dark and cool in the room. I am positive that mine were somehow linked to menopause. The began at about age 40 and lasted until I was 45. I began menopause/perimenopause at the same time. Haven't had one since. I did eat a lot of tofu and soy based products to lessen them as well. Not sure if that lessened the length or severity. Wish I had been keeping a diary back then... Hope you get some relief soon! P.S. if all docs were like Dr. House, I would be in to see him for every condition I have (and some I don't). Love me some snark in a dreamy package!
    Julie- So, I am curious, are the students in France doing virtual classes? And I am sorry, I can't remember exactly what your position is; do you teach or are you in an administrative position with a school? Are you working through the shut downs? Hope your tests come out well or at least with some insight for the docs to figure out the problem.
    Tracey- I think you are taking amazing care of Ember! Do you have a dog of your own, as well? What kind of dog is Ember? I love it when my daughter and her family drive up, rather than fly; because then they bring Chappie with them. I love that dog! He is big/medium sized. He weighs about 80lbs, and is a shar-pei, pit, and it looks like german shepherd mix. A mutt and a rescue dog. But so loveable and loyal to his "pack". I walk him twice a day when I visit, no matter the weather. My daughter and son in law only walk him on weekends (they have a good sized fenced in back yard). I also play in the back yard with him and Joaquin (Miguel will probably join in on my next visit, now that he is walking).
    Lisa- lol Well, passing gas is a good sign at the docs office. Better out than in! Hope you continue to see your weight/health go back to normal!
    Terri- Glad you can get together with your family! Even socially distant, it is nice to be face to face and in their presence; don't you think?! Can you share a pic of your Christmas card artwork? I would love to see them!
    Vickymva- Welcome! Feel free to jump in and contribute about whatever information you wish! As you can see, we are quite chatty and cover a wide range of topics about our everyday lives; because it all affects how we feel and our health! My name is KJ (Kelly) and I live in west Michigan, USA. I just turned 54 (Whoot!) and I joined this lovely group about five years ago. I am 5'8" and currently weigh 240, so have about 90-100lbs to lose to get to my ultimate goal. Covid sent me into a tailspin and gave me a lovely 20 lb gain since March. I will get there! You will achieve your health goals, as well! Keep logging your meals, visit and chat when you can! Hugs to you, new friend!
    Pip- It does suck that, this year you are living so close to your family, and you have to skip the hols due to the virus. Major suckage! But, I am glad that they understand your decision. Hugs to you!

Well, this post has gotten unusually long, even for me! Love and hugs to all of you! I better get moving, otherwise I will just become too comfortable and decide I am not moving, today! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• KJLaMore
    Pip- Love the lights!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Ginny - I think your staff will love their presents. My husband seems to love gnomes right now. I am making a stocking for him and I now that I have the one for the puppy done. His is gnomes decorating a tree.

Machka - I believe my migraines are stress and sinus related. Sinus medication seems to help the most.

Okie - I would love to live in a place where I could watch tv outdoors in November. I see a lot of neighbours put lights up yesterday, I think people are decorating earlier just to give us something pretty to look at. I love it!

Debbie - now that I think about it, I haven’t seen angel tree toppers either this year. I haven’t gone anywhere really to shop, but was in 3 stores looking only at Christmas decorations last weekend because I wanted something for our daughter to celebrate decorating for Christmas in her first home.

Barbara - my parents didn’t have a lot that I wanted when we cleaned their house in 2015, there were a couple of things but we had left them for Mom to continue to use and I haven’t been home since. My Mom had a pink Pyrex serving bowl from her wedding I will bring it home next time I go. We used it every night for boiled potatoes. I rarely eat a plain old boiled potato now, I mash or rice them. My favourite is baked. It makes me smile thinking of that bowl.
    I do have things my Dad made for me and a jackknife that was his. He had so many of them my brother and I, and his 3 grandchildren all have one. Dad believed you didn’t go anywhere without one in your pocket, when he passed my brother put one in the pocket of the suit he was wearing.
    I have a lot of antiques of my Grandmother’s and Great Grandmother’s. The little writing desk I use as a night stand was built by my Great Grandfather for my Grandmother and her siblings to do their homework on.
    My dresser was a wedding gift of my Great Grandmother’s.

Sorry I guess you made my memory button kick into overdrive, I understand your need to have things of your parents.

Machka- there is a drive through light display here at the racetrack by the airport. I think I’m buying tickets this year and forcing Rodger to go with me.

ALLIE - I’m so happy to see your post. Heal fast!

Pip- that bike lit up is adorable, what a brilliant idea!

I cut our pieces for two stockings yesterday and just have to finish stitching pieces in place on one so that I can begin adding the sequins.

Ember watched a sappy Christmas movie with me last night.
    gsgqpznywpso.jpeg

Today sweet Ember will go home. I have decided that like children,at this stage in my life, a puppy is nice to have visit but then go home to it’s family. I will keep her and love her whenever asked but I don’t want the full time responsibility. An older dog that is trained and not so excitable might be a different story.

Rodger is just getting back from his walk, my quiet is about to be done. The tv will be on, and his game will be making noise.

I need to do laundry and go to Michael’s today, I’ve been asked to make a couple of signs for my cousin.

Tracey in Edmonton