WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka – CONGRATULATIONS!!! Instead of a new dress how about a pretty scarf or jacket to change an old dress in to something new?

Hugs to all,
    SuziQ – SFL

The difficulty is that the graduation is in the middle of December. My other two grads for Grad Certificate and Grad Diploma were also mid-December and both occurred on one of the hottest days of the year. There's no reason to think that this one will be any different.

So, with heat and my skin sensitivities in mind, I'm trying to find something really light and cool to wear. It must be sleeveless or I'll melt, can't be too tight but I don't want it to hang like a sack either, and it must be smooth and a little bit stretchy.

I'll have the grad gown and hood over it ... another reason it needs to be really light and cool ... during the ceremony and then we'll likely go out to eat after so I've got to be comfortable in it for a while.

For my other two grads, I wore a short black skirt and sleeveless black top, and I'll do that again if I have to, but it might be nice to do something different for this one. :)

Having said that, this one time it might be quite cool and I'll wish I got a jacket! :smiley:

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! It is Wednesday, and the last day of my work week! Wahoo! We are having a pajama day. Kids are arriving in pj's (I have mine on), pancakes for breakfast, blanket fort in the living room, blankets, pillows, and stuffies are welcome, today. I only have one little one (the one year old), the baby and the two younger two year olds are all gone on holiday already. So...the fort might acually last all day, without needing to be rebuilt! My two potty trainees have only had two accidents between them, so far this week! And one of those accidents was an aiming issue (he peed on his underwear and pants as he was peeing in the toilet). So...I think they are getting the hang of this! Thank God!
    Machka - Congratulations! Although I am sure you knew you passed; it is nice to have the official word! lol Next stop graduation; then what's next for this fine young woman?!
    SuzyQ- Good to see you! I was giggling, while I read each post of your marathon-catch up!

Kids are here, so I need to scoot! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    M in Oz Glad they finally got that tooth seating right. I wasn't aware that wombats have cubical poop. Wombats are certainly more pleasant to look at than opossums.

Barbara The stickup artist made me smile. I noticed the Wells Fargo guys coming out of Safeway with money bags yesterday, hastened their pace when they saw me coming. I had just come from the alley behind the store where scary-looking guys sometimes sleep under the semi-trailers and I always put my hand in the pocket of my stretchy jacket with my index finger extended to look like a handgun. I must have forgotten to relax my hand.

SuzieQ You are certainly organized and efficient in covering so much past post in such little time and with appropriate and interesting commentary.

Kate That jigsaw puzzle fits in perfectly with the flowers. I thought it was a permanent mosaic design on the table.

Sue Your mom is a real beauty and I love her hair.

Katla At least one of the vaccines is already stockpiled with several million doses ready and is just awaiting final approval from the FDA. It will be delivered by the military and be in every state within 48 hours of approval. The amazing Operation Warp Speed has been planning and going full force since last spring.

KJ I love little kids but all the potty stories bring back memories. I didn't mind so much caring for my friend's kids when they were babies, but then when I babysat the kid's kids, I started an iron-clad potty self-sufficiency no ripe diaper rule. The kid that peed through his undies while on the toilet was just keeping his mask in place for the safety of others hahaha! One can't fault the boy for filtering his urine.

Fae
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Congratulations matchka
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :)SuziQ, It is a delight to hear from you again and to revisit the adventures of the month as you replied to all.

:) Our visit to Costco yesterday was interesting. It looked more like the line-up for Black Friday than senior hours. Costco was kind and opened their doors 15 minutes early for the early senior hours and people were lined up to get in. Jake and I took separate carts and separate lists. I had five items on my list and found only one (coffee creamer for my friend so she wouldn't have to go for only one item). Also bought one impulse item (Vitamin D3 even though we have plenty at home). Jake found everything on his list (candy, ice cream, salsa, chicken). We came home and stripped off all our clothes to launder them and took showers. This morning's news said that there were 75 new Covid cases in our small population rural county. We won't be going anywhere for awhile.

:) I went for an extra walk about 5 PM yesterday. I love walking by myself in the dark. I need to remember to do this more often.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    SuziQ
    Cute car!

Sue
    Your mom is lovely and so glad to see that she is active at her age!

We took dressing to my son's family yesterday and socially distanced in the open garage. It was so good to see the grands, my son and daughter-in-law. Sorry, but I did give the two grands a quick hug. They will be going to her mom's house for TG along with her 2 brothers. All of them except her mom are working in the public each day so there was no way we would have felt safe attending. We will have some of my dressing & gravy along with a pork tenderloin that I will cook in the InstaPot. I am also making a cake from a mix that has been in the cabinet for a long, long time. :)

Carol in GA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    Heather- Beautiful cuff links, he will appreciate those.

Kate - Beautiful flowers.

Suzi - The puppy is part Mastiff so always has a sad look on her face. She misses her favourite people when they go to the bathroom though and puts herself in her bed waiting for the. When they come back in the room she acts like they were gone for days. She's quite funny.
    I am so impressed that you caught up and commented. I have gotten behind before and had to go back to catch up, but have never really taken the time to comment on a lot when I do. You were missed, happy to see you.

I understand the pride you have in getting your car, we are still battling the bad debt pile and have several issues with our car. I am fearful of it not lasting before we could find approval for another one. Right now I have been singing the old Aaron Tippin song "Ain't Nothin' Wrong with the Radio" or remembering my Dad singing to the tune of Old Rugged Cross
    On a hill faraway
    Stood an old Chevrolet
    Its fenders all rusted and broke

There was more to the song but I don't remember it all anymore.

Kelly - A pj day sounds just like what we all need! I'm happy to read that your potty trainers are reaching success!

I'm at work and hoping for a good day today.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I have two medical appointments:

1. Eyes - I was hoping to wait until next April before I got my eyes checked, but I'm having a terrible time seeing my computer screen. You're all blurry!!

2. Teeth - yep, that tooth again. It's still not quite right. I really hope this time it get shaved down to the correct level. Yes, she's using that carbon paper stuff to check. Yes, she checked me lying back and sitting most of the way up. But last time, it just felt that much better than it had so I thought it was going to be OK, but it isn't.

I'm trying to get all these in before Christmas and before we shut down again!!

M in Oz

Good luck

Michele
  • Faetta
    Options
    Tracey It sounds like it is time to write some new lyrics to the old songs.

Allie Sorry you have to suffer so much. May the days pass quickly and your healing be swift.

Michele Are you in O hi o yet?

Carol I see no problem giving your grands a hug. If we all don't start living a little, we are all going to die.

Barbie I quit walking in the dark when I lost one of my balance nerves. I don't have much balance in very low lighting and no balance without holding on to things in total dark.

SuziQ Congrats on Lucy! Yes, us girls living alone need our wheels. I have decided it is impossible to be debt-free. All I owe for is my house and that will be paid off when I am 97.
  • Faetta
    edited November 2020
    Options
    In these times of virtual socialization
    Photo of me is from age 68 and my last public bikini appearance.
    zpoj2jrotp3e.jpg

Fae virtually on the beach in Florida with her old man
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA: You are so lucky to have a living, healthy mom! She is lucky to have you, too. :heart:

Kim: I am delighted for you! Your work is wonderful and the roommate you took in has been a good addition. :star:

Tracey in Edmonton: Good luck with your test results! I hope you remain negative for Corona Virus. I saw good news on TV. There are at least two vaccines under development that are very promising. I think medical personnel & first responders such police and firefighters will be early to receive them, and the rest of us as supplies allow. I would categorize you as a care giver & it makes sense for you to get vaccinated early similar to hospital personnel. Keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to get vaccine early & stay healthy. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Your son’s Alcohol-Free discovery box is brilliant. I wish him great success. :star: Good news that Covid Cases are going down in your area and deaths are down to 3. :bigsmile:

Evelyn: My husband is of a similar mind as you. He likes to be well stocked up and our freezer is full. Stocking up in uncertain times makes sense to me, too. :star:

SuziQ: Our daylight hours are getting shorter and will continue get shorter until December 20, 21, 22, or 23. That is why Christmas lights are so uplifting. We decorate with holiday lights in stages, starting at Thanksgiving. I wonder how people get along in Northern Alaska. I think it would be hard for anyone with a mid-summer birthday. :ohwell:

Kate UK: Your flowers are lovely!!! :flowerforyou:

Machka: Thanks for the information on Wombats. I love the picture of them. They somewhat resemble nutria--a large member of the rodent family that was “farmed” for fur in the late 1950’s. Nobody wanted the fur, and the growers turned them loose in the river system. They are still pests. :grumble: We haven’t seen any in the past few years. :smiley:

Barbara: Your comment to Fae made me laugh. “your winter walking look reminds me that today I caught sight in window reflection of me wearing watch cap, mask and dark glasses. Thought I looked like a short, pudgy, little old lady, stickup artist.” :laugh:

SuziQ: Congrats on your new car!!!! :bigsmile:

Thanksgiving tomorrow!!! We’re having beef for Thanksgiving this year and hope to facetime or zoom with our adult children & grandchildren across the country from us. DH will not fly due to health problems that began a few years before Corona Virus appeared. I will not fly and leave him home alone. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Re the Instant Pot vs InstaPot debate: I was watching Jeopardy the other night, catching up on some recorded episodes and the correct response was "What is Instant Pot?" The contestant said "What is InstaPot?" and Alex did NOT give him credit. The other two contestants had no idea what to say after that, because they thought the guy was right and were not familiar with the distinction. Even I'm not sure if I typed it correctly. There may be no space....InstantPot? I don't know!

Re my finger: It isn't really painful at the moment, just obviously crooked and still a little swollen. Y'all probably don't remember, but the day that I hurt it was also the day we got the news that my nephew had died. We had to make plans to travel to New Orleans (with a hurricane in Mississippi), plan the service, and write the eulogy. I still could have taken time for a quick trip to the orthopedist but I just couldn't deal with it right then. I'm sure there will be new pain going forward after the surgery, but lack of use is going to be the biggest annoyance. I am finally able to type with it again, but I'm sure that will digress. It will be okay, though. There are many with worse problems.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Barbara and Debbie, turns out the fog free masks aren't quite as fog free as I thought they would be, but they are better than any other that I've tried so far! I just googled "easy 3D mask" and it came up, SeeKateSew is on the pattern. I will post photos, didn't get much done on them today, other stuff got in the way.

That's my past 24 hours in a small nutshell!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

I just looked up the masks- haven't gotten to the actual pattern yet(still scrolling- LOTS of pictures) How many layers of fabric are there?
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I cannot believe it is the day before Thanksgiving. How time not only flies by but in a matter of a few weeks has made great changes in all of our lives. It will be a solo Thanksgiving for me. I bought most of my meal very early in order to avoid the last-minute rush. I still cannot understand how people go out and buy their meal a day ahead of time. I watch them every year buying 20-pound frozen turkeys the day before the holiday. I simply shake my head.

😊 SuziQ – SFL

My husband has worked in a grocery store for 40 yrs now(retired after 35 but went back part time, but has been working full time hours since March when the lifted the limit on hours for retirees)- ANYWAYS
    Every year he has to work Thanksgiving morning and every single year he sees at least a few people coming in either the day before but many ON Thanksgiving morning, buying a frozen turkey and asking how long it will take to cook/when it will be ready.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    DH and I got our new glasses yesterday. Still getting use to them. The lenses are a little smaller so having trouble with seeing the frames in the edge of my vision. Not even a full day yet so will get used to them.

Pretty day out today. So maybe I’ll get myself moving and walk. Lord knows I need the exercise!

Just two of us here for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Quiet day. I’m going to make some keto chocolate chip cookies and keto pumpkin pie. Wish me luck on the pie crust!

RV Rita still feeling like my bowels are all inflamed.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    SuziQ
    Cute car!

Sue
    Your mom is lovely and so glad to see that she is active at her age!

We took dressing to my son's family yesterday and socially distanced in the open garage. It was so good to see the grands, my son and daughter-in-law. Sorry, but I did give the two grands a quick hug. They will be going to her mom's house for TG along with her 2 brothers. All of them except her mom are working in the public each day so there was no way we would have felt safe attending. We will have some of my dressing & gravy along with a pork tenderloin that I will cook in the InstaPot. I am also making a cake from a mix that has been in the cabinet for a long, long time. :)

Carol in GA

I totally understand the hugs for the grandkids. When I go see my parents, I can not go up and NOT give them a hug. It is because of them that I stay home most of the time. We do grocery shopping once a week at most and go out of our town, drive 20 min to the town north of us because it is less crowded and usually go on Thursday if I have the day off so even less crowded. I do go to church Sunday mornings but wear my mask the whole time but have only been back doing that for three weeks, that might change as they are getting stricter again(canceled the adult Christmas party that was coming up in two weeks) and Christmas eve service will be virtual, with the kids reading the Christmas story(recording it early so they can splice it together and ready for us to watch that night)
    We never go to Christmas eve service because we are either on the road up to my parents or already up there. Christmas is the only holiday of the year we spend it with them.

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    SuziQ ...congratulations on the new car! There is absolutely nothing wrong with allowing yourself to feel satisfaction when accomplishing your goals!

Beth near Buffalo
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Barbara - She doesn't want to put me on HRT for the migraines.

The story in a spoiler:
    I'm trying not to be too descriptive, because frankly, what is happening is gross. The migraines were a precursor to a terrible hormonal imbalance that is affecting my quality of life at the moment. It's to the point I can't get too far from my bathroom. I was in urgent care Monday. I got a prescription that doesn't seem to be working, at least not fast enough for me. My doctor thinks I may be in perimenopause, but she can't confirm because I've been on birth control and that has been regulating my hormones.

So, if this is what perimenopause has in store for me, I'd rather not have my uterus.

I had to cancel my Thanksgiving dinner plans. :'( I was looking forward to it. The mister isn't going out anywhere--not even to the office--right now because he needs to stay close in case I need a ride somewhere. He's been very supportive of this situation. He even picked up my prescriptions late at night and bought me "girl" products without complaint. He actually offered to do it so I wouldn't have to call my friend. I've never asked him before because that is usually something I prefer to do myself. However, I couldn't leave home long enough to do it. Driving the 10 minute to Urgent Care and getting inside to the lobby without leaving a trail of mess was challenging.

Car buying: SuziQ Congrats on the new car. I envy you being able to negotiate that in 3 days. I did go to the dealership because I wanted to see and drive the car before I started working on a deal. If I didn't like it, why bother. Since then, I've gotten 4 quotes and none of them are willing to take more than $1000 off the MSRP (when we all know that is an inflated price). The manufacturer is giving $2500 cash back and there are tax incentives for plug in hybrids (that I may not qualify for). Apparently they think that is all they need to do. I think they should take more off AND give me the cash back. It's my bonus for buying that make of car, not theirs. In any case, they aren't calling me back anyway, so apparently they don't need my money. I couldn't go get it in my current condition anyway, but they don't know that.

Allie - Glad you're on the mend!

Machka - Congrats on officially passing your classes, though I don't think anyone here doubted you would

Kim - Sounds like you and Dylan have a perfect arrangement! You keep each other company "just enough."

Tina