Help keep losing muscle and gaining fat slow metabolism

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    It may explain difficulty (like with thyroid issue why their daily burn is tanked) or why it seems you have to eat so little.

Even thyroid issues only account for around 100 calories per day for a woman who maintains at 2000 calories, so that's not an excuse.

I was actually referring to the aspect of the thyroid issue that leaves someone very tired and just not moving much.
    Just the reality they aren't as active. Likely that was noticed and hence getting a test that showed that issue.
    True the BMR effect is usually within 5%.
    But the TDEE effect can be much greater comparing normal avg energetic level and non-moving tired level.
    Which could cause someone to wonder why say starting MFP or other sites don't seem to work initially.
    Obviously the adjust method will work even if you didn't know the why, but the why in that case could allow getting some meds to help.

I guess I didn't see the part where she is tired?

Why would someone not address that first? I thought she is doing all kinds of HIIT and lifting weights? I'm not going back to re-read it all.

But yeah, tiredness could be from hypothyroid, depression, not eating enough, any number of other illnesses, but there's still a number of calories that will allow weight loss, and if she's able to be getting out and doing all that, the number won't be all that low.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    It may explain difficulty (like with thyroid issue why their daily burn is tanked) or why it seems you have to eat so little.

Even thyroid issues only account for around 100 calories per day for a woman who maintains at 2000 calories, so that's not an excuse.

I was actually referring to the aspect of the thyroid issue that leaves someone very tired and just not moving much.
    Just the reality they aren't as active. Likely that was noticed and hence getting a test that showed that issue.
    True the BMR effect is usually within 5%.
    But the TDEE effect can be much greater comparing normal avg energetic level and non-moving tired level.
    Which could cause someone to wonder why say starting MFP or other sites don't seem to work initially.
    Obviously the adjust method will work even if you didn't know the why, but the why in that case could allow getting some meds to help.

I guess I didn't see the part where she is tired?

Why would someone not address that first? I thought she is doing all kinds of HIIT and lifting weights? I'm not going back to re-read it all.

But yeah, tiredness could be from hypothyroid, depression, not eating enough, any number of other illnesses, but there's still a number of calories that will allow weight loss, and if she's able to be getting out and doing all that, the number won't be all that low.

It wasn't about her, it was comment on an example that testing may explain a why behind an effect or observation.
    But won't change the outcome. One must adjust.

Her example was screwed up mitochondria - which yes is a thing. May burn fuel source different than normal, may not be able to produce energy as fast - but it doesn't change energy needs.
    Hence not using her exact example.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with the statement, thyroid issues only account for 100 calories. It all depends on the way ones endocrine system is effected, one's thyroid in some circumstances reflects the state of interplay between the other endocrine glands. Its complicated, very complicated.

For many what matters is the volume of t3 one's system has access too, this is the active form of thyroid hormone. Some people are born unable to convert iodine or levothyroxine into t3. Levothyroxine is only a synthetic form of iodine of which it is said the body only needs 1/4 of a teaspoon in a year! In order for conversion to happen a person needs selenium, zinc and other vitamins an minerals, its complicated. Contrary to popular belief the endocrine system is complicated, very complicated. Many doctors are not conversant with the complexities, they rely on the, "you are within the normal range" to which I ask, high end or lower, normal for whom, is that person Me. Only I matter to me, how my body works except I've been able with support of people with the right understanding to regain who I was in my early teens because thyroid issues were always discounted, I was too young or just making a fuss and then it was normal range. Levothyroxine works fine for many but for some, we need different/more to function properly.

In the UK, where I am, NICE the body which decided which tests, medications, operations and all does not permit testing for t3, because in their view the body will always make enough t3. in my earlier paragraph I mentioned the vitamins and minerals needed, there is not even the slightest nod to these. Then don't forget autoimmunity this is a whole other ball game. The number of autoimmune conditions within the international population is rising, peoples living the life style of their ancestors are doing better, not falling into these conditions as we westerners do and those who follow our ways. Autoimmunity starts in the gut. Medications from antibiotics to the contraceptive pill disrupt the digestive tract. Autoimmunity with the right support is if not reversible its controllable this is my experience.

My thoughts for the original poster are, to please have a full thyroid/endocrine panel, which must include t3.
    I strongly suspect its your t3 levels which are causing your slow metabolism. Very, Very best wishes for someone who knows what a difference having the right t3 level for you, can make.

I hope you have access to a doctor who understands the interplay between the thyroid gland and the other endocrine organs its essential particularly for ladies who regrettably as they enter mid life, 40 for many others earlier the endocrine system starts to slow down and that is without the issues of menopause but its all related. Oh, Please don't forget for many of us they endocrine system is complicated to understand when ours does not permit to fit exactly within the boxes we are allocated. Good Fortune.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your stats? Height, weight, job?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Ih by the way im premium on my fitness pal i waste so much time logging and tracking my food. By the way i used to be 84kgs i list it all on my own very slowly and properly. Then i injured myself and all things went to hell. I couldnt eat carbs i gained weight fast even though i compensated for having to stop working out until surgery healed. I got to 53kgs thank you very much so obviously i knew what i was doing. But just one day it was like i smelt food and gained weight. Slowly im gaining and now im 61.3. If you want to be supportive great of not go away.

I can prove it too so whoever disagreed you know nothing about me. I was obese my cholesterol was 7.4 its now 4.8 on my own.

Not disagreeing, just giving you hugs. Seems like you could use them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, it's showing overweight too in those cases. 25 & 30 seem swapped too.
    In each of those you could have a body weight closer to avg healthy weight, or perhaps top of BMI scale, but a lot more bodyfat %.

I've known several woman that were thin looking or just above, not even looking like 25% - but by their bodpods, and lack of general strength and flabby arms/legs, were a much higher % BF.

I'm still not sure what a healthy weight range and 40% would appears as. Probably different.