Options
13»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    A new place near my home popped up that serves bone broth. I've heard of it, tried to understand why people would drink it, but I kinda wanted to know if anyone out there has tried it and is it something you do often? Do you use it to replace meals or snacks?

Bone broth typically has more protein than chicken, beef, or Turkey stock.

I'm curious how you know the amount of protein in homemade stock or how homemade stock would be different from the stuff marketed as "bone broth," as I believe they are supposed to be made the same way (except the one in mass amounts, presumably). I actually consider this since I don't really know how to log my stocks, and use (figuring it doesn't matter that much if I am consistent) the entries for "X stock, homemade" (this is at Cron, which isn't full of weird random entries). Sodium, of course, depends on what you add to it.
    If you ever decide to do that, be sure and get bone broth labeled “perfect for sipping.” Believe me, it’s not all that way! 😂

Granted, the homemade stuff may not be initially perfect for sipping, but if one clarifies it (see post above about consumme), it's totally fine to consume on its own. Again, maybe I'm crazy, but I don't get the idea that "bone broth" is some special new thing distinct from the longstanding practice of making stock, other than the rebranding to make it cooler.

Allegedly, bone broth has more amino acids in it than stock. By cooking it longer, it makes gelatin, which is rich in glycine. So not more protein, more amino acids. Again, though, the science behind whether or not this builds collagen is iffy.

Most bone broth recipes call for a bit of apple cider vinegar to be added to the bones and then cooked for around 24 hours until the bone nearly disintegrates, way longer than a simple broth.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    A new place near my home popped up that serves bone broth. I've heard of it, tried to understand why people would drink it, but I kinda wanted to know if anyone out there has tried it and is it something you do often? Do you use it to replace meals or snacks?

I'm curious how you know the amount of protein in homemade stock or how homemade stock would be different from the stuff marketed as "bone broth," as I believe they are supposed to be made the same way (except the one in mass amounts, presumably). I actually consider this since I don't really know how to log my stocks, and use (figuring it doesn't matter that much if I am consistent) the entries for "X stock, homemade" (this is at Cron, which isn't full of weird random entries). Sodium, of course, depends on what you add to it.
    If you ever decide to do that, be sure and get bone broth labeled “perfect for sipping.” Believe me, it’s not all that way! 😂

Granted, the homemade stuff may not be initially perfect for sipping, but if one clarifies it (see post above about consumme), it's totally fine to consume on its own. Again, maybe I'm crazy, but I don't get the idea that "bone broth" is some special new thing distinct from the longstanding practice of making stock, other than the rebranding to make it cooler.

Allegedly, bone broth has more amino acids in it than stock. By cooking it longer, it makes gelatin, which is rich in glycine. So not more protein, more amino acids. Again, though, the science behind whether or not this builds collagen is iffy.

Most bone broth recipes call for a bit of apple cider vinegar to be added to the bones and then cooked for around 24 hours until the bone nearly disintegrates, way longer than a simple broth.

That is how I make mine. Before I had a pressure cooker I would add a tbsp of ACV to the water and cook for 24hrs in my slow cooker. But now it is the same recipe with only 4hrs on the instant pot. Nice thick “jello” like broth once it cools. We use bone broth for tons of cooking and soup. And if we are not using it fast enough, the dogs or cats get it mixed with their food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    (Unfair and unannounced snipping for length introduced by reply-er into the very interesting post available in full above.)

Regarding the distinctions you make, it's actually pretty common to cook stock a long time (this "stock is cooked less long" thing seems to come from those who have rebranded traditional stock as "bone broth" and need to explain away stock). It also does normally contain gelatin. (I've also seen loads of relatively short cooking time instant pot "bone broth" recipes.)

It's also the case that plenty of "bone broth" recipes do not include apple cider vinegar (although I suppose adding ACV as one's one true acid source would be perfect for those in seek of woo), and one can also find traditional stock recommendations for vinegar or wine (for something acidic) to be included.

It seems to me that this phenomenon (and perhaps others in the "magical foods" sphere, to use a prejudicial term) exploits the relative uncommonness of scratch cooking in very traditional ways. (I'm not saying tradition is dead, but there are statistically fewer practitioners, or even folks knowledgeable - there's a "new to me but not realizing it's not truly new" thing).

There's a bit of revival of certain traditional foods as commercial products, with an added health aura of some type around them. (Another example is shrub, a traditional thing now reborn as ACV-based health drinks.)

As an aside, I think you're right about the ACV as woo-enhancement for bone broth. It seems as if any other acid would have a similar effect on the broth, including wine (and most of that 'evil' alcohol with the anti-health aura would be evaporated away in the finished product, anyway). The ACV in this context amuses me a little, in that (personal opinon) if there's any tiny little thing that gives ACV minor benefit, it's that ACV is commonly available raw (live culture), and other raw vinegars are a little less common . . . but that long cooking, for bone broth, would seem likely to kill off the nice bugs.

ETA: That was a really fun Pollan essay, too, Lemur, at the link you cited. "Nutritionism". Heh.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Bone broth is chicken, turkey, or any type of leftover bones cooked in water. It is a good base for soups or stews. Have you had soup or stew? Then you have had bone broth.

Please remember some people only know about soup from packages off the supermarket shelf. They've never seen the real thing.

That's just sad.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

I don’t do homemade, so no comparison there. After the “disagrees,” I went back and looked at nutritional info. The stocks I used to buy were 1-2 grams of protein per 8 fluid ounces. The bone broth, has 8-9 grams of protein per 8 fluid ounces. Big difference to me. And if I sip that in a meeting, I don’t get noodles in my teeth. 😂

Maybe it’s just the stuff I buy/used to buy. But I’m definitely not a one-brand devotee. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Funny and true.