Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet vs Exercise - Which is more important and why?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I think balance plays out for the person in how they normally handle things.

You can make diet & exercise like a hobby - something you enjoy doing, and you may focus on that hobby greatly initially until it has become easier to do.
    Then it can become 1 of several hobbies, at various levels of focus depending on what's going on.

But some people have few hobbies - so when this is it - this is really it big time.
    But then they get bored or other reasons move on to other hobbies, maybe even a cyclical thing, just time to do the other things.
    Like hobby of golf during nice weather.
    Or researching and then going on a vacations.
    Or making youtube videos.

Of course sometimes other things come up in life that require many things to be put on hold or reduced - caring for family members, or an estate, or terrible illness and getting it diagnosed and treated.

Biking is a hobby for me, working on bikes is enjoyed, research about it when time. Diet supports that hobby.
    I was wondering if I could consider health a hobby - but I don't track blood pressure like I could, or eat like I should more often - so I don't think over health is for me. Probably be smart to figure out how to make it one that I enjoy doing.
    But I enjoy pushing myself running too, I know it better for the the bones, weight bearing and all. Enjoy pushing limits with lifting. Swimming when able.
    Enjoy the gadgets, can call that a light hobby that I'll delve into infrequently.
    Backpacking and camping for winter hobby, but only 3 trips work out so not much.
    Some reading and research as hobby.

I do agree that many we see on MFP, especially in the next few weeks - are making diet and exercise a project. But not really a hobby.
    Meaning they'll delve in to it by reading every good and bad thing on the internet, and make wholesale changes, and deal with it for some amount of time.
    But not like a hobby they enjoy, and when the project is done, or rather for the majority they don't think it can be done - they stop to some degree or completely.
    Some will complete the project. This year. And because it's not a hobby they enjoy but a project they disliked, they'll be doing the project again next year!

Balance with some other hobbies so useful.
    My mom still does Scrabble by herself daily because she liked it, and read it was good for the brain.
    Love the idea of making time for history, science, other reading, being creative, expanding practical skills. (or using them to finish other projects, ugh)

^^^

I don’t know if hobby is the word I would choose. More like activity I enjoy, but that’s just semantics.

I used to treat losing weight as a project with an end. And I was a human yo yo for over a decade (maybe decades).

Then I found that I enjoy lifting and various forms of cardio (hiking, dog walks, rowing, even the evil step mill 😜).

I want to be in shape to do those things which means losing weight so that I can enjoy my exercise even more.

However, I think many of the people who start every January haven’t found anything about losing weight or exercising that they truly enjoy and that’s why so few stick with it long term.
  • brettchasteen
    brettchasteen Posts: 12 Member
    they both equal the same. attained goal. one without the other isn't useless but less effective.
    You cant build a race car and fill it with cheap gas and expect high performance just like racing fuel in my 4 cylinder is a waste of money.
    You want to perform like a race car, fuel properly.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    AS much as I'd like it to be exercise, I think in the end diet is more important not only for weight loss but overall health and well-being. YOu can be active throughout the day and not even do formal "exercise," and that can be enough. However, exercise is something that has always been pretty easy for me to keep up with once I start, whereas diet hasn't been (but I think is now, finally). Having said that, being active and doing things for cardiovascular health and strength are also important for overall health, too.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I don’t know if hobby is the word I would choose. More like activity I enjoy, but that’s just semantics.

Lol, isn't that the definition of hobby...?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    As far as health/weight is concerned, for me achieving better even a good nights sleep really helps, especially after the trials, concerns and things we all have had and continue to go on around us. How one achieves a good nights sleep is a very personal thing though.

Recently I've been hearing several scientists saying, poor sleeping quality/habits can predispose one to eating, on average 200 calories more in a day than one actually needs. Until I re-found my personal balance, I'd have thought my 100g of wall or Brazil or cashew nuts, even for the good oils or selenium and protein would have been way more than 200c
  • Dogmom1978
    J72FIT wrote: »

I consider “hobby” more of arts and crafts, music, sports. I don’t consider exercising a hobby even though I enjoy it because with my hobbies, if I can’t fit them into my day, no big deal. But with exercise (weight lifting in particular) its a priority and I HAVE to work it into my schedule. As adults, we tend to let hobbies slide because of adult responsibilities.

If you can consider it a hobby and still do it consistently, great, but I definitely do not have much time for my hobbies, so I CANT consider it a hobby or it will get put off while I focus on all the things that I have to do as an adult that aren’t optional. Hobby=optional for me. Health=priority
  • J72FIT

I consider “hobby” more of arts and crafts, music, sports. I don’t consider exercising a hobby even though I enjoy it because with my hobbies, if I can’t fit them into my day, no big deal. But with exercise (weight lifting in particular) its a priority and I HAVE to work it into my schedule. As adults, we tend to let hobbies slide because of adult responsibilities.

If you can consider it a hobby and still do it consistently, great, but I definitely do not have much time for my hobbies, so I CANT consider it a hobby or it will get put off while I focus on all the things that I have to do as an adult that aren’t optional. Hobby=optional for me. Health=priority

Do you have any activities (physical) that you enjoy in and of themselves? Example, for me it's jumprope. When I engage, I am not thinking health and fitness but instead a skill I would like to get better at.
  • For me weight loss is part of the entire package of getting to be the person I want to be for the second half of my life. I may need to pause it until I feel safe going to the gym again, but that's a postponement, not an abandonment. I feel so much better now that I really look forward to losing the rest of the excess.

I don't have a choice about focusing on health, but in my case it is more mental health for all three of us than strictly physical. Physical goes with it, but as all three of us have big mental health issues, it's more important that I get my girlfriend in the habit of waking up at the same time every day to take her meds than it is that I get her to start a running habit. (Which is not happening; she has a ruptured disc and severe sciatica.) Similarly, it's more important that my boyfriend do his mental health therapy exercises and work through his PTSD than it is that he lose that last 20 pounds. Given that he has kyphosis, he'll have a lot less pain when he's at a good weight for his height, but him being able to sleep through the night without screaming nightmares is a higher priority now.

And mental health is why I'm taking a break from actively trying to lose; I need some time to catch up to myself, and get comfortable in a body that's five sizes smaller. When my anxiety stops trying to get in the way, I'll get on with it. I'm just logging to keep an eye on things so I don't gain again.

After all, for me, getting down to a stable low weight is a prerequisite for a couple other hobbies; I'm not going to start sewing historical clothing for either historybounding or reenacting until I am about the size I intend to be. Losing even a little weight or recomping will mean I have to refit my self-supporting dresses, and given COVID it's not like anything's happening right now that I need clothes for anyway.

• Dogmom1978

Do you have any activities (physical) that you enjoy in and of themselves? Example, for me it's jumprope. When I engage, I am not thinking health and fitness but instead a skill I would like to get better at.

I enjoy weight lifting, hiking, dog walks, dancing, etc.

I don’t have enough free time for all of the physical activities that I enjoy, so I have to prioritize. The things I consider hobbies in and of themselves are crafting, reading, baking, etc. Those are the “when I can fit you in” and hence “hobby” things that I do 😜

When I finally retire, I’m sure I won’t be bored!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

I don’t have enough free time for all of the physical activities that I enjoy, so I have to prioritize. The things I consider hobbies in and of themselves are crafting, reading, baking, etc. Those are the “when I can fit you in” and hence “hobby” things that I do 😜

I just pictured trying to weigh out baking ingredients while running on treadmill.
    Crafting involving needles or scissors - probably not good idea. Now, between sets...
  • Dogmom1978
    heybales wrote: »

I just pictured trying to weigh out baking ingredients while running on treadmill.
    Crafting involving needles or scissors - probably not good idea. Now, between sets...

Hahahaha

I have crap knees, so I don’t run, but I have mastered being able to walk at an incline of 8-10 at a speed of 3.4mph and read a novel 😜

I craft while watching tv post gym, if I have time for tv it’s like 45 min to an hr most days (I’m not good at sitting still).
  • shanek1990
    shanek1990 Posts: 14 Member
    It's highly dependent on your goals.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Quick note that we removed replies regarding Covid-19 and vaccination from this discussion. The discussion otherwise seems back on topic so re-opening for now.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    My Garmin says I burned 175,135 active calories in 2020. Over the course of 371 hours. I enjoyed all of them. A lot of hiking, a lot of road cycling, a lot of Nordic skiing. One of my favorite memories this year was coming out of the woods into a meadow with more wildflowers than I've ever seen, while hiking with a good friend.

Fred Beckey was still climbing in his 90s so I hope and think this is sustainable.
  • CMB44512
    CMB44512 Posts: 70 Member
    Personally diet for me.
  • Working out and cardio are more important than anything you do of you want to gain muscle and loose fat. You can diet all you want and see results over time... but if you start a good weight lifting program and do ample cardio you begin to see results in the first week
  • J72FIT
    Working out and cardio are more important than anything you do of you want to gain muscle and loose fat. You can diet all you want and see results over time... but if you start a good weight lifting program and do ample cardio you begin to see results in the first week

How?