I have Covid 19

Took it serious from the beginning followed all the rules and extra ones, I didn't work because I stayed home to be a full time caregiver to my mom who has been sick for 4 years now, parkinson and dementia.

At first I thought we both caught a cold until her doctor said we should test her for covid, it came back positive for covid pneumonia for both of us and as of yesterday she is in the hospital and I'm at home.

No one at the hospital to support her from the family, she is confused and without us. The medical team seem nice and like their doing everything they can for her.

But this is so scary things will never be the same going forward, how can you fight off a disease like this and not get it again if you survive need to work, go to the grocery store and pharmacy just the basics.

The nurse said to me after I quarantine I need to order everything because more than likely I got it in one of these places just walking by someone.

More worried about my mom then myself.

I used gloves, sanitizer, mask stayed home 90 percent of the time. What else could we do.

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    I"m so sorry that you and your mom got sick. You did your best to protect each other so please don't blame yourself. I hope you have a mild case and recover quickly and your mom recovery goes smoothly. I'll be sure to add you both to my prayers. Take care!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Hugs and prayers to you, your Mom and the rest of your family. 💕💕💕
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2021
    Wishing you and your mom the very best in recovery!! It sounds like your mom will be taken good care of and you need to take care of yourself as well.
    Will be thinking of you; please keep us updated.
    Not seeing your mom makes it more worrisome and probably leaves you feeling completely helpless; are you able to video chat at all? {HUGS} to you all
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    I was the same, I was very careful and still got it. I wish you and your mom a speedy recovery! Both of you will be in my prayers.

Thank you very much, how long did it take you to recover? Thank you for the kind words and prayers, so many caring people here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Please keep us updated, we're all in this together and I think if I get it I will really need my online communities, so I hope we can be of comfort.

How are you feeling generally?
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you and your mother are going through this and I hope you both recover fully.

Most people will think my precautions are too extreme, but here it is: I haven't been inside a store since March. Everything that comes into my house gets disinfected or washed. When I hug my son we both wear masks and then I shower and wash my clothes. I treat frozen foods as a biohazard until they are fully cooked (like I would raw meat). I don't eat out or get takeaway.

I have a P100 half-face mask and ventless goggles to wear in an emergency like having to take my parents to the hospital. FYI: this kind of mask is much more comfortable than N95 masks and the replaceable filters are good for 40 hours of use.

Again, I hope your mother is home with you soon.

Thank you.

No you don't sound extreme, sounds very necessary, where are you finding these mask? because most n95 were no longer being sold to the public and if so there fakes.

I hope she's home soon also, thank you for your kindness and sharing Take care.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you and your mother are going through this and I hope you both recover fully.

Most people will think my precautions are too extreme, but here it is: I haven't been inside a store since March. Everything that comes into my house gets disinfected or washed. When I hug my son we both wear masks and then I shower and wash my clothes. I treat frozen foods as a biohazard until they are fully cooked (like I would raw meat). I don't eat out or get takeaway.

I have a P100 half-face mask and ventless goggles to wear in an emergency like having to take my parents to the hospital. FYI: this kind of mask is much more comfortable than N95 masks and the replaceable filters are good for 40 hours of use.

Again, I hope your mother is home with you soon.

Thank you.

No you don't sound extreme, sounds very necessary, where are you finding these mask? because most n95 were no longer being sold to the public and if so there fakes.

I hope she's home soon also, thank you for your kindness and sharing Take care.

I got my mask on Amazon back when the Ebola scare was big. (I've always been cautious.) It's 3M 6391 P100 and the filters are sold separately. The price has gone up quite a bit since then. I don't know if it would be worth it for you as hopefully you both will have immunity now.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Your mom must be very thankful for a daughter like you.