Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,734 Member
    Down 3.5 so far from January 1st in the honeymoon phase of weight loss. Feeling fabulous!

How are you doing?
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,178 Member
    @jm216, @azalea4175
    I did Day 4 yesterday, all the way through (some of my moves were modified to the degree I need presently). I will be doing Day 5 very soon (soon as I finish catching up on the discussions I'm following).

I skipped ahead yesterday for two reasons:
    1) I want to do each day's session that day
    2) The first few days focused a lot on breathing and body awareness. I've practiced tai chi for a number of months in the past, plus I've been on a one week meditation retreat at a Vipassana Center, so I've had plenty of practice with breathing and focusing my awareness (meditating 12 hours/day). :smile:

I think her early sessions were mostly for the benefit of newbies. I think she means to get down to business now, so to speak, and I will do my best to hang in there.

• jm216
    nt92xcr0w4ev.jpeg

Just had to share some wise words for those who are struggling. Keep at it!

❤️Jill
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    This week has not been good.
    I have been very busy and have either logged badly or not at all.
    With the new UK lock down in force, things have now gotten less manic for me, hopefully I can rescue this week and not see those dastardly 300 numbers again....
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    This week has not been good.
    I have been very busy and have either logged badly or not at all.
    With the new UK lock down in force, things have now gotten less manic for me, hopefully I can rescue this week and not see those dastardly 300 numbers again....

You’ve got this, Tone! Even if you see the 300’s, it will be temporary. Tiny hiccups are just that. You have your eye on the prize.

Jill❤️
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,178 Member
    @cpnknight, @jm216
    Someone posted this saying on another thread: "If you stumble, make it part of the dance."
    So dance on!
  • jm216
    @cpnknight, @jm216
    Someone posted this saying on another thread: "If you stumble, make it part of the dance."
    So dance on!

I love that Frank! I may have to use that... since I am a stumbler!
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Hi everyone. I'm not new to MFP, returning after months of being away. Thought I could do this on my own but didn't do so well.
    I'm 63, 5'2" and weigh 214 lbs. My goal is 140. 2019 was a tough year due to personal and medical reasons and the COVID-19 pandemic sure didn't help! I lost my job due to a shoulder replacement surgery (Dr didn't release me to go back to work as soon as my employer wanted me back), then the pandemic happened and no one was hiring so I decided to take early retirement. Being stuck at home all the time due to corona virus sure didn't help with my weight, I've gained 7 lbs since first of Nov 😳. It's time for me to shake myself off and get back on track!!
  • jm216
    grandrory wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm not new to MFP, returning after months of being away. Thought I could do this on my own but didn't do so well.
    I'm 63, 5'2" and weigh 214 lbs. My goal is 140. 2019 was a tough year due to personal and medical reasons and the COVID-19 pandemic sure didn't help! I lost my job due to a shoulder replacement surgery (Dr didn't release me to go back to work as soon as my employer wanted me back), then the pandemic happened and no one was hiring so I decided to take early retirement. Being stuck at home all the time due to corona virus sure didn't help with my weight, I've gained 7 lbs since first of Nov 😳. It's time for me to shake myself off and get back on track!!

Welcome back!!! We’re so glad you’re here.🥰
    You’re not alone when you’ve got your friends supporting you. 2021 is our year.

jJill
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Scales Day!

The scaly Beast was released and I could tell from the way this week has been that the Beast was not going to be kind.

Weight was 298.8 lbs...Now 302.2 lbs...Gained 3.4 lbs

Not good, those bloomin 300 numbers are not giving up without a fight...all my fault of course.
    Logged badly, or not at all. Eaten foods that I couldn't even guess at the calorie content and to top it off the missus made coconut macaroons...I chuffin LOVE coconut macaroons!

Now for the bright side.
    There is no way that I have eaten 10000+ calories over my TDEE so a lot of this is water retention.
    The way to correct this is to eat well and stay within the calorie goals. It's not rocket science, just a bit of discipline.
    (Now I just have to stop that woman of mine from baking...).
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Scales Day!

The scaly Beast was released and I could tell from the way this week has been that the Beast was not going to be kind.

Weight was 298.8 lbs...Now 302.2 lbs...Gained 3.4 lbs

Not good, those bloomin 300 numbers are not giving up without a fight...all my fault of course.
    Logged badly, or not at all. Eaten foods that I couldn't even guess at the calorie content and to top it off the missus made coconut macaroons...I chuffin LOVE coconut macaroons!

Now for the bright side.
    There is no way that I have eaten 10000+ calories over my TDEE so a lot of this is water retention.
    The way to correct this is to eat well and stay within the calorie goals. It's not rocket science, just a bit of discipline.
    (Now I just have to stop that woman of mine from baking...).

I look forward to your scales day! I week off will not derail you. I took the week of Christmas and New Years off... sometimes you just need a reset... or a few coconut macaroons.
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17:
    January 24:
    January 31:

🌟Lost 1.9 pounds this week!🌟
    This week’s successes:
    ✔️walked Roxie for 30 minutes 5 days this week and 15 minutes for 2 days
    ✔️ Stayed under calorie goal 5 out of 7 days
    ✔️Logging my food as I eat it.

This week’s challenges:
    • Keep the momentum going

We can do this!

Jill
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Starting weight 214 on 1-1-21
    Age 63
    Height 5'2"
    Goal 140

1-3-21: 214
    1-10-21: 212.4
    1-17-21:
    1-24-21:
    1-31-21:

Lost 1.6 lbs this week.
    My goal is to continue getting back on track and log my food daily!
  • jm216
    grandrory wrote: »
    Starting weight 214 on 1-1-21
    Age 63
    Height 5'2"
    Goal 140

1-3-21: 214
    1-10-21: 212.4
    1-17-21:
    1-24-21:
    1-31-21:

Lost 1.6 lbs this week.
    My goal is to continue getting back on track and log my food daily!

That’s incredible!
  • KEDGIN3432
    KEDGIN3432 Posts: 4 Member
    59 years old and 244 lbs. Ultimately want to be at 150lbs. Also, would like to run a half marathon by end of June, before I turn 60. Returning to MFP, joined Couch to 5K to run a 5K by end of February, and bought a new pair of shoes to arrive by Tuesday. Hoping to reach goals with your assistance and motivation!
  • jm216
    KEDGIN3432 wrote: »
    59 years old and 244 lbs. Ultimately want to be at 150lbs. Also, would like to run a half marathon by end of June, before I turn 60. Returning to MFP, joined Couch to 5K to run a 5K by end of February, and bought a new pair of shoes to arrive by Tuesday. Hoping to reach goals with your assistance and motivation!

Welcome! We’re here to support and encourage you!
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    Overdue check in

8/12/20: 210 (start weight)
    12/20/20: 189.8
    12/27/20: 187.4
    1/11/21: 186.6

I fully intended to get back on track with journaling after the holidays, but I came down with a horrendous bug 12/30 and am just now feeling human again. Very low energy still but overall feeing okay and ready to get back to daily walks (okay, who am I kidding, back to almost daily walks and striving for more).

After more than 5 days of barely taking in liquid, I came out the other side with a healthy appetite but nothing tasted right. I craved anything 'heavy' and carb laden (breads, donuts, crackers, pasta, pasta, and more pasta). After a week of that type of eating (and not logging), today is my new beginning.

I see that we have a number of new friends on board! Yippee! Here's to moving ahead together, making good choices, and supporting each other as we work towards our collective and individual goals.
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    Hi all!
    I'm going to try adding yoga to my daily routine. I've been inspired to try this for January:
    "Breath: 30 Day Yoga Journey" by "Yoga With Adriene"

I have heard great things about Yoga with Adriene, let me know how you like it! i too am trying to add yoga to my days. Pls check out on Facebook Diane Bondy Yoga, she specializes in adaptive yoga!

I've also seen good reviews re: Yoga with Adriene and appreciate the Diane Bondy Yoga recommendation. I love Yoga and have missed my in-person classes. One of these should get me back on track!
  • jm216
    do0gn7rwzyuh.jpeg
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    edited January 2021
    @jm216 that's a really cute pic!! you have a good day too.

I am keeping up with my fluid intake, but think I have to throw away the candy my sister-in-law made us. She thinks sugar = love. <3 She means well, but wonders why all her siblings except my hubby have diabetes? Mini goal this week: no extra added sugar.