What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    Same darned thing, 8927m rowing machine, 4 x (2k on, 2' off), moderate pace (<70% HR) , 2:34.0 pace at 21spm on the pieces.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    100 Fwd Jump Rope, 35 min run at 2 incline @ 7 min per mile pace, then 10 rounds 20 seconds all out / 10 seconds rest on the Assault Bike
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Another 10K row today -- same pace as yesterday (2:36) but my HR average was 8 beats lower. Nearly the entire row under 70% max. So nice improvement in HR.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    x46rpzyq6w1l.png
  • AnnPT77
    Rowing machine, 6808m, 3 x (2k on, 2' off) at 2:33.4, 20 spm, < 70% HR.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited January 2021
    I attempted hangboarding yesterday, but I was terrible. So I gave up on it, send also gave up on my planned upper body lifts, since did a 6 mile walkv instead.

I will re-try today. It may be that I didn't give myself long enough to recover after climbing the day before
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited January 2021
    Indoor bike session this am.
    60 minutes. Included 3 x 8 minute blocks spent pushing a big gear at low cadence (50-60)
    More of a strength session than aerobic effort.

Warmup 5 minutes @ Zone 1 output
    Endurance 10 minutes @ Zone 2 output

Repeat 3x's 8 minutes @ Zone 3, 50-60 rpms in a big gear, stayed below threshold.
    Then 4 minutes @ Zone 2, 95-100 rpms

Endurance 4 minutes @ Zone 2
    Cooldown 5 minutes @ Zone 1

Yoga class tonight. Namaste.
  • 1HugoG
    1HugoG Posts: 36 Member
    Lower back pain subsiding slowly. Trying to swim it away.
  • Djproulx
    1HugoG wrote: »

Don't know if this would help you, but I use both a foam roller and tennis ball on my lower back to counteract soreness brought on by cycling and running. In addition, I perform several sets of "Up Dog" style pushups. I typically do one or both of these things daily. Finally, I get significant relief from deep tissue massage every few weeks.

Good luck with healing.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    5x1000m row paired with decline bench sit-ups with 2-3 minute rest in between.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2021
    Finally did my 10K row TT (timed test), but did it as an interval, so it seemed manageable. Have had a mental block on doing hardish, longer rows recently. Did it as 20 X 500m intervals, first one easier, then hard, repeat.

Ended up with a 2:21.4 average. Was hoping to be sub 2:20, but I'm not there yet. My fastest time ever was 2:04 for this row, so that's about right -- I've been off by 15 to 17 second on pace (speed per 500m in rowing).

You could never tell it was this slow from HR -- I hit 96% of max (184 for me) and averaged 82%, even with taking it slower every other interval. 904 calories burned in 47 minutes. Why I love rowing.
  • Djproulx
    You could never tell it was this slow from HR -- I hit 96% of max (184 for me) and averaged 82%, even with taking it slower every other interval. 904 calories burned in 47 minutes. Why I love rowing.

That's quite a calorie burn in 47 minutes! Suggests some major pain. Nothing like a timed test to get your attention. Well done.

I'm facing my first "test week" of the season next week, so this is a reminder of the fun that awaits. ;)
  • Djproulx
    Swim workout this am. Endurance 100's, 50's, 25's. 2200 yds total.

Warmup set, kick set, then several rounds each of:
    100 moderate, 50 fast, 100 moderate, 10sec recovery
    50mod, 50fast, 50 mod, 10r
    25mod, 50 fast, 25 mod, 10 r
    finished with a cooldown set.

Hoping to make yoga class again tonight.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    1HugoG wrote: »

Don't know if this would help you, but I use both a foam roller and tennis ball on my lower back to counteract soreness brought on by cycling and running. In addition, I perform several sets of "Up Dog" style pushups. I typically do one or both of these things daily. Finally, I get significant relief from deep tissue massage every few weeks.

Good luck with healing.

I suffered from some horrible SI back pain a couple of years ago from biking and climbing. PT wasn't helping and a friend suggested I do glute exercises rather than back and damned if that wasn't the trick. Now whenever my lower back starts acting up I "remember" to do my glute exercises ie clamshells, fire hydrants, monster walks, kick backs. just using body weight or resistance bands and like magic they go away. I swear I'll keep doing them forever and eventually I stop until I'm reminded again. I recently saw somewhere that confirmed this for cycling that it's because we only move our hips in one plane that by doing these side rotation exercises that it helps strengthen under utilized muscles. Hope you find what works for you but worth a shot if you haven't tried it.
  • MikePfirrman

That's quite a calorie burn in 47 minutes! Suggests some major pain. Nothing like a timed test to get your attention. Well done.

I'm facing my first "test week" of the season next week, so this is a reminder of the fun that awaits. ;)

Thanks, I'm a bit skeptical of the HR app that I use (Fitiv). It separates, when you're done, active from total calories burned. I have a feeling that the 904 number was adding in just the calories it takes to be alive -- basic bodily functions. The Active number was something like 855. Still good but I don't know how much stock I place into it.

Today was 30 minute row -- harder than I should have -- 6K meters and then 10 minutes on the bike to cool down.

Good luck with your test!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    2 Mile Run
    Romanian DLs
    Barbell Push Press
    Ball crunches and Knee Tucks
    15% TM incline jog 60 secs
    Push Ups 45 secs
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    100 Fwd Jump Rope
    100 meter sprint
    50 Mtn Climbers
    10 Tuck Jumps
    100 Meter Sprint
    Tire Drag
    100 Fwd Jump Rope
    100 Half Jacks
    100 Meter Sprint
    100 Air Squats
    Tire Flip
    100 Supine Bike
    100 Meter Sprint
    80 Push-ups
    100 Meter Sprint
    Stairs (every/other/lt/rt/hop)
    80 Sit-ups
    100 Meter Sprint
    100 Fwd Jump Rope
    100 Flutter Kicks
    50 Rev Crunches
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2021

Thanks, I'm a bit skeptical of the HR app that I use (Fitiv). It separates, when you're done, active from total calories burned. I have a feeling that the 904 number was adding in just the calories it takes to be alive -- basic bodily functions. The Active number was something like 855. Still good but I don't know how much stock I place into it.

Today was 30 minute row -- harder than I should have -- 6K meters and then 10 minutes on the bike to cool down.

Good luck with your test!

@MikePfirrman, have you compared the Fitiv estimate to the C2 weight-adjusted estimate? For most of my machine rowing workouts, my Garmin's estimate and the adjusted C2 estimate aren't that far apart, FWIW. For example, the last workout was 281 according to C2, 223 according to Garmin. (Yeah, that's more than 25% difference, but I don't find 58 calories all that meaningful, in the midst of all the other rough-estimating that happens when tracking.) I also don't know whether you calorie count, and if you do, whether it's MFP method or TDEE.

You might not even have to weight-adjust, since I suspect you're closer than I am to the 175 pound assumption of the machine's estimate. (I have to admit, when you've mentioned calories before, I assumed it was the C2 numbers you were using.)

I usually use the Garmin estimate, since they're close enough for gubmint work, and it's one less step to calculate. 🤷‍♀️
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    81 minutes of riding outside!! Gravel bike. Date ride with my husband. Some icy spots. Some muddy spots some muddy/icy spots. Some puddles that you have no idea what's underneath. Husband had a slow flat that we were able to inject with some CO2 intermittently to keep him going until we used the last of it then it was a race back to the car. Felt so good to be outside!
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2021
    38 min of HIIT on the elliptical (most every four mins (once HR comes down), jump off an crank out 10 reps on a 15 degree bench press before the elliptical resets (total 80 reps)). Afterwards, on to lat pull downs (alternating close reverse and wide forward grip) and preacher curls. Pretty nasty evening. Tonight, Elliptical (as usual), dips (assisted with bands), shoulder press, abdominal. Long way to come back from the road to ruin, but getting there (slowly).