Senior Golden Sneakers............September

Options

Replies

• Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi friends! I am back from visiting my Aunt and Uncle in Winnipeg. We had a very nice time. They are doing well, glad for that. We did a little touring and very little shopping. Of course, I had to get a shirt for Neil! Now it is time for bed. I haven't had a chance to read the posts yet but will catch up tomorrow. Hope you are all well.
    Take care. Gayla
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Happy Saturday! I love Saturdays.

Barbie, No, exercise is not forbidden for me on the Sabbath. I just choose to take it easy on that day. When we were watching a friends dog, I did have to take him out for a walk on the Sabbath.
    I have been working hard today already and my ticker is up to 9,089 and it is not even 1:00. Part of those steps wer my joggin around the track first thing before I worked in my class getting ready for the coming week.
    I agree with you that people that have pedometers walk more than people that don't. My husband thinks I am silly because I am wearing one. What does he know?

Crazy things happening over here with the Egyptians and the Israelies. Let's just calm down and have PEACE ALReADY.
    Phyllis
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Good Morning Sneakers!! hope you Saturday, or Sunday, for the ones across the date line, is perfect.

Well, we got the old truck cleaned out and cleaned up.. both were all day chores. We had dinner at 10pm last night.. lol, nearly breakfast time. Today, we have to put all the stuff into the new truck in its proper place. We still have too much stuff!! lol, I have a plan though, going to leave a lot of things at home, and then only add them back if I decide I need them. We shall see!!

Quote from Marie, "Phoebe Where is Jim? for you to have all this me time. So glad the kiddens are safe"
    Well, Marie, he is one tired puppy this morning, but last night was worse.. he was so exhausted, and his feet were killing him. He didn't even have any cornbread and milk.. his favorite snack.. lol, he fell asleep soon after our late supper.

As for the kitties, my favorite subject, can't you tell, they are great.. there is one that is extremely timid, she always darts away and runs to hide.. so somehow last night, she did just that, and spent the night in the garage. When I went out there this morning, it was obvious that 'someone' was in there.. coz there were things on the floor, a mop knocked off of the door hanger, etc.. then she started to meow.. but she wouldn't come out of her hiding place until I went away.. poor thing. Even so, you could see her pure joy at being 'free' again, when she rejoined her siblings. I so want to hold her!!

I need your advice:

looking at the kittens all taking comfort from one another, I wonder about the necessity of finding homes for them, and separating them. They are reasonably safe here, we can afford their annual vaccines, but they won't be indoor pets.. We have an automatic feeder that seems to be working properly, and they have shelter from storms, cold etc..(if they will use it, they slept in a little knot of cats on a small table near the back door last night, coz I peeked!) With spay/neutering, there won't be more kittens from them. what are your suggestions? I hope to be back this evening, if not, see ya tomorrow
    Options

Crazy things happening over here with the Egyptians and the Israelies. Let's just calm down and have PEACE ALReADY.
    Phyllis

Phyllis, I think we all silently worry about you for those reasons.. take care, we love you, and pray for you
  • litra
    Options
    :love: Hi, I'd like to join this thread. Is there something I need to know about it?
  • litra
    Options
    :love: just checking to see if this posts lol I'm not very proficient w/computer
  • litra
    Options
    :glasses: :happy: Duhhhhhh. Now I get it. I was looking for my post to show up at the beginning of the thread. Since the ice has been broken I'll introduce myself. I'm a retired teacher (grades 4-6),married for 41 years (hubby and I are doing mfp together), have two children-one living in Michigan and the other a senior in college presently doing her student teaching, two cats and one dog (my grandkids, lol)
    My knees aren't very happy with the load they're carrying so walking great distances isn't on today's menu, however, I plan on seeing that item on a menu sooner than later. I am enrolled in a water exercise program which helps.
    Was very happy to see this thread-what a nice group! Looking forward to being a part of this community. :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: welcome, litra, this is a friendly group and you will fit right in.:bigsmile: I am a retired public school teacher, too. I taught grades one and two in California for over thirty years and have been retired in NW Washington for seven years. I love to walk and dance. I tried water exercise one and liked it but since I like walking and dancing more, I have made any effort to pursue the water exercise. I have two standard poodles who love to walk so I can walk five to ten miles a day just keeping them happy.:bigsmile: my hubby, Jake, and I are doing MFP together. He tracks his food and exercise most of the time and occasionally posts a joke on this thread. We just moved from a lovely house with a big yard into a bigger house with a tiny yard in a 55+ manufactured home park and we love it. We're only about 5 miles from where we were before but we're on the opposite side of town so they only big change is different routes to the old familiar places.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    651171i085p8my3i.gif
    litra, glad to have you join us, keep coming back so we can get to know you as you learn about us.

Happy Saturday!! :bigsmile: It is sunny right now but we might get an afternoon shower with clear skies tonight. :flowerforyou:
    I did go watch my granddaughter perform at half time at the football game even though it was raining on and off. It was worth it, she was great as usual.
    Tonight we are meeting the parents of the bride. :bigsmile: Makes me think of that movie "Meet the Fockers" I think we are the Fockers, since we are so funny!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    My son is flying to Boston on business tomorrow and it makes me nervous with all these threats. My husband said he heard on the news they are concerned with bombs in trucks so Phoebe please be aware of any suspicious looking trucks. I wish like all of you do that we could just live in peace with each other. :cry:

Barbie, I do like the 55+ communities, we had looked at a house in the Dell Web community in our area, but my husband is very set in his ways and I don't think we will ever leave this house. It is a small house and we are comfortable in it, but if I had my way I would do some major remodeling like new windows, a deck, etc. It's not going to happen and I can accept that. :grumble:

Phoebe, as long as you think the kittens would be safe outside and you get them spayed/neutered I say go for it. But if you thought someone could give them a great home with lots of attention and love that could be better for them. I might be the wrong person to answer this question, I am not sure I could ever adopt out a critter I fell in love with, which is one of the reasons I didn't want to have Daisy have any puppies, I would have kept them all. :laugh:

Phyllis, great job on the pedometer, you and Barbie can start challenging each other with who gets the most steps in a day. Actually, my DIL just sent me a link to http://store.s2h.com/ where they have a pedometer for $20 and you get rewards for steps walked. I think I am going to try it because it will motivate me to walk more. :happy: Stay safe and be careful. :heart:

Gayla, glad you had a nice visit and some time away. Does Neil expect a gift every time you travel? :wink:

Marie, you seem to be missing this morning, hope all is well. :love:

Gigi, your mom sounds amazing, I want to be like that when I am in my 90's. Glad she is feeling so much better.

Buzz, you sound like you have to clear out you temporary files and get rid of some junk on your computer. :bigsmile:

Becky, I do hope your daughter's finger is better, who would have guessed it was broken. What do they even do for a broken finger besides tape them?

I am going to go and do some exercise before our dinner this evening, need extra calories. I did lose 2 pounds but will not record until after the weekend which always seems to get me. :explode: Have a great day everyone!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hey I am here. I have been on the home page tho.

Things are great here in texas.
    glad to see galya back.

I have een taking it easy today. Had a Frozen Pizza a half of a personel pizza for 90 calories and lots of sodium and home made cold law The pizza wasn't worth the 90 calories and that many sodium The other half got throw away. I am going to check out the freezer and see what kind of dinner I can find within my calories 350 or less. blood sugar still doing fine. and the scales are moving down. YIPPIE~~~~~ I had a snack at 3 Pm of okra and tomatoes and some fresh pineapple.
    My dinner did not stay with me.

Welcome Litra, you are right on here

I'll be back
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Marie said...
    Connie You surly will be miss. Maybe this winter when you are stuck in'em there Hills you will have more time.Are you putting you foods up yet in the freezer or canning.? miss our hillbilly gal. How is the landcrap going?

Ii think you meant landscaping, right Marie? The project is finished and now we're just waiting for grass to grow. Here's how it turned out.

0LhQHl.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Beautiful Connie...your landscaping and your house.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Sorry Connie I did mean landscaping instead of landscrap . so sorry. it is just beautiful Love it. Your grass looks greener than ours. Also love your house. Have a wonderful fall. We have had a little taste of fall but still no rain.
    Alice and I always made a trip to northwestern arkansas to see the fall leaves. Haven 't made it up there in the last 3 or 4 ye.ars.The old body can't get around as good.

Thanks for the update. You will always be a sneakers to us.. Love Ya'
    Marie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: This has been a much too busy day and I've had to budget my time, so for the first time in a long time, I didn't post food or exercise. :noway: I had to be somewhere at 7:30 this morning so I got up an hour earlier than usual so I'd have time to do my regular routine that includes walking the dogs for an hour
    this was a good chance to find out what it will be like in the winter when our days are so short.......we walked from 5:15 to 6:30 beginning in the dark so we walked on the streets that are flat and clean and everyone's house has a light in front......then when it started to get light we ventured down the paths into the open spaces......my morning event went well but I was tired when I got home and Jake had steaks to grill
    our first bbq in our new house
    then I took a nap and went off to another event where once again I said no to birthday cake----tonight there were three of us declining the treat :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: I leave at 10 AM tomorrow to go to a five day line dance workshop
    ....I can walk from the hotel to where the workshop is, so that along with full days and evenings of dancing should keep me burning calories......I packed my Isagenix supplies so I can prepare most of my own meals in my hotel room and avoid the pitfalls of restaurant eating.:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: the wifi in the hotel isn't too good and last year I had to carry my laptop to the lobby to connect, so I plan to budget my computer time which may result in no posting of food and exercise but give me a chance to read the posts and check in with you

:flowerforyou: Connie, your house and your landscaping are beautiful:bigsmile: thank you for sharing it :bigsmile:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    ACHHHH! 12:34 AM on 9/11 and another sad day for us all. Yesterday was dreadful for us; best friend hurt by a young woman driving without a license, talking on phone, and running a red light as my friend was driving into our community entrance! Mike stayed for the tow truck while friend was taken to hospital along with her aide. Both had fractures, but will be OK soon, and while taking care of her insurance , towing etc, I received another call regarding the death of my neighbor(she was young by my standards and went quickly of a sudden stroke!), plus another dear friend in the community of whom Mike was very fond! Horrendous day, and I don't really want to watch the sad programs on TV tomorrow. I still see in my mind's eye those dreadful planes! We'll all get through it, I know, but will things ever be the same?

GIGI and MARIE...Florida is the lightening capital of the world, and it is quite awesome to watch; magnificently beautiful and deadly at the same time. Yes, we are in the midst of the rainy season. For most of us it's very welcome, and even now, the drought is not completely over!

PHYLLIS, too difficult to comment on your wish; in over 5000 years there has never been peace in that area, so it would be lovely if your wish could come true! Greatest case of sibling rivalry ever heard! But we all have individual friends on both sides we love very much. So we can always hope...

SANDY, I clean out my temporary files, cookies, etc every night, using CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware cleaner, AND Norton! The site seems fine tonight but yesterday windows simply wouldn't change. There is mainly only one provider im my area, and if everyone is online at the same time, we all slow down to a crawl! But you're right on with your suggestion for most times! Thanks

JAKE, don't scare me...oh, I just realized we don't have ice cream trucks here anymore!..YOU STAY WELL!

CONNIE, your home and garden are worth every bit of lugging and sweat you put into it! Love using rocks in garden design, and I recall your recent efforts to gather the heavy ones; you succceeded beautifully.

LITRA, welcome to our haven. I must take more time to go over all the posts, as my eyes are refusing to remain open now!:flowerforyou: for now till I read your intro!

PHOEBE, I'm not one to recommend outdoor cats or kittens, so just follow your heart and do what YOU think is the right thing. Kitties are adorable, but prowling cats can be a different story! I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, as it would be too difficult for me!

BARBIE, GAYLA, I'll be back to see you both, but right now...:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :ohwell:

Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Options
    1597051fytx6si45o.gif
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Buzz........Oh my goodness! I'm sending you a huge HUG and hope that you are feeling better soon. The news of your friend and neighbor was so sad. May you find a way to be comforted and also strong enough to offer al the assistance you can to your friend and the family of your neighbor. We suer never do know what is around the corner waiting for us to experience.

Connie....... I'd just love to live in your house. What a dream hour and garden. Maybe you don't call it a garden, but if you could see my house and garden you would understand what I mean.

Barbie......You are a moving machine! Kind of remind me of that energizer bunny on the ads. The early morning dog walks sound like quite the adventure.Have a lot of fun at the workshops dancing your heart away.

Sandy... I never clean out my cookies or files or any of those things that you were talking about. I need a course alone on how to do all those things. I do delete SOMETIMES from my e-mail that gets loaded up. Plus I am so impressed with all your colorful words and I wonder HOW the HECK to you do things like that. I am doing a power point for the parents at my back to school night and I just hope that I can push the right buttons and talk clearly so they will get the ideas that I am trying to get across.

Marie.... I got a chuckle from your landSCRAP. I kind of like that better than land SCAPE. You should see all the mistakes I make before I spell check. Letters get all mixed up on my lap top just like in real life when I am trying to communicate! such is the life of this Idaho gal

Litra.... don't think I said HELLo or not. but anyway... HOWDY Partner! Glad you joined this group. We are happy to have you.

Well my pedometer says 9,619 It's 8:00 and I am hoping to reach 10,000 before I go to sleep. I better get walking around the house before I hit the sack.

Love to you all on this 10th anniversary of 9/11. I can't believe it has been 10 years ready. bye and good night from Cairo. Phyllis:wink:
    ( MAKE UP ) for last Mondays nights graduation party.
    Options
    hi all, been busy today, well sort of, haha, got a nap in too, so that isn't excatly busy is it? I needed it though! up at 7:30 then too sleepy to do much, so I dozed and felt much better, and Then I got busy!!
    Sandy, and Buzz, thanks for your suggestions on the kitties, they put me on the right track.. you see, if I become attached to them, then leave them here and come home to find them missing, well, that happened once before to one we were gradually taming, and we neverr saw her again. I don't think I could bare that again. I will find these guys good homes, or they will be brought indoors here.. I don't mind cleaning up if they make a mess! Thank you so much.. you really both helped.

Hi Litra, is that your name? we all like to use our names on here, seems more personal somehow. think about it, if you'd like to do it, you can put your name on your signature, and it will automatically post at the bottom of your message, then we don't have to remember it.. lol.. we fall short on memory once in a while around here.

I have to make another trip to work to finish some things in the new truck, much better than putting it off until we go back to work.. even though I would like to do that..

Marie, I haven't forgotten to take a picture of the quilt, I might get it today, and some photos of the kittens too. it is not a true blue quilt, as I had thought, it is more turquoise or teal, and brown is the other primary color. I wasnt sure what I would do with it, but our bedroom is in neutral colors, with a quilt on the bed being the only texture and color, mostly, anyway. I don't even know what size the new quilt is, but the colors would be great on the bed, say as a fall/winter quilt. Many people change their bedclothes for the seasons, I never have, but this might be fun. It is very well made, so I wouldn't have to worry about it being wash and wear, if you know what I mean. I could dry it outside on the clothesline to be safe.

I have gotten a lot of toning and stretching done the past few days, lol, and I feel it!

Today, I had a carnation instant breakfast, no sugar added, for my morning and lunch meals. I just didn't feel like eating much. However, they seem to be very satisfying, and I may add them to our new eating plan. we start the new plan in about a week. My husband is already cutting back on his carbs, and I am so glad, he says once the potatoes we have now are all gone, there won't be anymore.. while we are on this plan.. wow.. it is such a surprise to hear that from him.. Mr. meat and Potato man!! I'm proud of his efforts.

Buzz, while I am sorry about the death of your neighbors and friends, I am very glad your other friends are not severely injured. you are right, things probably won't be the same, there and since 9/11 as well. For those born after 9/11, todays coverage might be interesting, but for me, like you, Buzz, I still see the airplanes, the fires, the horror, I don't need to see it again on tv. No disrespect intended to anyone.

Barbie, what goes on in your dance workshop? I don't dance, and it doesn't appeal to me, but I'd love to know what you learn there.. new steps?

take care
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]1406454w4dcs6u9je.gif

And on top of this, we attended a "celebration of life" ceremony this morning that was an incredible tribute to our friend who passed on yesterday! His daughter gave the eulogy, and it reminded us of all the pleasure we had derived from knowing and loving this wonderful man instead of just sitting there with tears welling up! We just returned from a "pre-shiva" (Jewish type of wake!!!) since the actual burial will be up in NY tomorrow. For those who are unacquainted with Jewish law or customs, burial must be within 24 hours of death since bodies are not preserved, unless the death is on Sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown) in which case, the funeral is the next day.
    [img][/img]3092515bqpthghavi.gif, and tomorrow morning we attend the farewell to our neighbor from across our street, who came home from her bridge game at night, and suffered a massive stroke with absolutely no warning signs. A reminder, I guess, that we must make the most of every moment in whatever way is most important to each of us, as life can be very short, or at least, full of twists and turns!

Well, I had not planned to eat a single bite at the "pre-Shiva", but since the family would be flying to NY within several hours, and the hospitality tables were just filled to overflowing with bagels, lox, salmon of all kinds, whitefish, tomatoes and vegetables, the widow begged us to "eat, eat"...and I lapped it up as it was so delicious, and everyone else there was likewise indulging, so my sodium level will be through the roof tomorrow! Applebee's last night ( after picking up our friend from her hospital release, hungry after no food all day) was delicious (W.W. under 550 calories shrimp) and contained more salt than I eat in a week! Well, I guess we must adapt occasionally!

PHOEBE, glad we could offer support about the kitties. And here's wishing you good luck with the new rig! I must say I never gave much thought to your suggestion about using our names, until I, too, wondered about LITRA's name. Then I thought about mine, too, as you can be certain my proper Bostonian parents never named me Buzz! That was my nickname in college! However, when I joined up here, besides BARBIECAT, there was another Barb, and I thought we didn't need a 3rd Barbara on Golden Sneakers, so I returned to my youthful moniker! I've gotten so used to Buzz here, but if you prefer, I'll go back to Barbara! :noway:

PHYLLIS, thank you for the hugs! I know we must all be gratefull we are still here and in reasonably decent health. I actually am feeling this post to be cathartic for me, so thank you all for putting up with it! A deep breath and I really feel better already!

SANDY, you? the Fockers? That is hysterical!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . I admit I laughed hugely in that movie, but the name really bothered me!:happy: :happy: :happy:

MARIE, except for the sodium, you are really doing great, so one mistake can be overlooked. Are you anywhere near the fires or the smoke? If it's not one thing it's another!

BECKY and BIRDIE and all you supervigorous young-uns dancing away the hours, sounds wonderful and invigorating! And admirable. BARBIE set the goal posts for this team!

Be safe, be well everyone ...:flowerforyou:

Buzz (0r Barbara?)
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    It is Sunday and a rather solemn day.:frown: Remembering what happened 10 years ago today just makes you shiver.:brokenheart: During mass this morning, the priest was giving his homily and said he would stop in a few seconds to take a moment of silence…. because at that precise moment 10 years ago was the time the first plane hit the first tower. What an intense and solemn moment. :cry: My prayers to all who were personally affected ….as well as the rest of us who will never experience the confidence in security we felt before 9/11.

Connie I love the landscaping.:flowerforyou: I looked in your profile and saw the before picture. Absolutely beautiful!

Buzz, I’m sorry for all your troubles. I get so mad:explode: when I hear about accidents like that! It’s so preventable :mad: if people didn’t think they were above the law!!! :angry: I’m glad they just have fractures and weren’t hurt in a more serious way! As far as the deaths of your friends, my condolences. If one of them had a stroke and died, believe me it was a blessing in disguise. My father and MIL both suffered the same fate. My father lived 2½ months after the stroke and we never could tell if he could hear us or understand us.:frown: This most dignified and modest man would rip off all his clothes and do things he never would do before! :brokenheart: It just broke everyone’s hearts.:sad: My MIL suffered for 1 ½ years in a Nursing Home and died this past March.:cry: Sometimes a swift death is truly a blessing in disguise. That doesn’t mean it’s easy. Sending hugs!:love:

Sandy Focker has a ring to it….:laugh: I hope the meeting went well.

Marie, sorry about your dinner. Have you had any rain yet?:smile:

Last night my SIL invited us over for dinner and insisted we didn’t bring anything. She had this wonderful salad with about 6 different vegetables!:tongue: Mmmmm But the main course was RAVIOLI! :noway: Now I don’t usually eat any sort of pasta, because quite frankly, like you Marie, it isn’t worth all those calories. So, because they were frozen, and she and I get along real well, :love: I asked to look at the bag. 250 calories for 9.:noway: She said “No one’s counting calories tonight!!!” and laughed. My husband took the bowl of ravioli, and making fun of me started counting them as he put some on his plate! (He’s really very proud of my progress but loves to pull my leg). However, you can be sure that when I took some there were no more than 9 of them, :laugh: which I tracked when I came home. :bigsmile:

Jake….You rascal!!! Very cute!:happy:

Phyllis be safe…..you too Phoebe!:flowerforyou:

Gayla, Gigi, Becky, … and everyone else, sending greetings and hope you have a good day!:love::flowerforyou:

BirdieM:heart: