WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Worked today so no formal exercise. If I’m not working tomorrow, I plan to do Cathe Friedrich’s You can Do Anything for a Minute DVD.

Jennifer from Edmonton – Wish my weight loss was nearly as impressive as yours. Oh well….. Glad to hear you survived the virus

Barbie – you do lovely work

I think I may need to step up my exercise now that I don’t do any formal exercise the days when I work. But first, I want to take it slow and not reinjure my foot. Did an hour workout on the treadmill the other day, I probably should have only done 45 minutes because I was so sore. Oh well…

Tina in CA – Athena ALWAYS looks happy!!! I don’t like to run mainly because of the impact on my knees

Katla – oh happy day!

Flea – the cat and dog are social distancing, huh?

Mrs_Hoffer – thanks for the info about the sauerkraut. I like sauerkraut, I just don’t like all that salt. But this doesn’t use much salt at all. You say 1.5 Tbs. Did you use a small jar or how did you keep the cabbage so that it would stay in its own juice?

Lisa – I’m friends with Allie on Facebook. She hasn’t posted anything lately. A friend of hers posted 2 days ago asking how she was, but that’s the most recent post

Heather – yea for the appointment for your vaccine. Let’s hope you don’t have any reaction. Well, you’re healthy, you exercise, you eat healthily, so most likely you won’t. Are you getting Pfizer or Moderna or don’t you know?

Katla – depending on how much you want to spend, how about a food-of-the-month? Or maybe a gift certificate to a restaurant/Amazon/food store/some sort of help to getting the vaccine (don’t ask me what) to others.

RV Rita – thanks for calling Allie. I’m worried that there’s been no response from her. She’s been very faithful about at least letting us know what’s up. So not to hear from her is disturbing

Newcomer bowling tonight. Think I may go downstairs and work on the puzzle for my friend some.

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Crazy here today after the wind last night. It was sunny and raining at the same time earlier. Have had a couple people come and take wood so gradually getting cleaned up. Lots of expenses the first of the year so we really need to get our little cabin rented. It makes such a difference having that income. Hope with vaccine rollout traveling nurses will be moving about more again.

Worried about Allie, hope things are going well for her.

Love the puppy in the snow. They are so silly they just make you laugh.

We have a strange cat hanging around our place. He is solid black and very wary. Our neighbor thinks someone dumped some cats out here in our neighborhood. They have a gray one hanging around their place. If he will come to us we will feed it but won't leave food out due to wild animals. He needs however to find a better place to potty. I discovered he was using our straw that we keep for the goats bedding so need to buy a new tarp to get it covered up.

Homemade vegetable beef soup tonight for supper.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk W/family- rain, Seattle type weather. 1hr, 29min 12sec, 3.39ap, 89ahr, 109mhr, 5.04mi= 458c
    Strava app = 610c
    Zwift bike trainer - 28.56min, 22.9amph, 118elev, 134amph, 160mhr, 11.06mi= 325c
    Strava app = 282c

Total cal 783
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,953 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    My favorite flowers are Iris. I think it is the purple color.

Our town claims to be the Iris capital of the world.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
    kymarai wrote: »
    My favorite flowers are Iris. I think it is the purple color.

Our town claims to be the Iris capital of the world.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

I love iris because they remind me of my great grandma- She used to raise/breed iris. After she passed away, one of my cousin continued and did even more than Grandma Bee did. There are so many beautiful colors and smell so amazing. After my cousin passed away, his wife is continuing to grow them.
    https://wiki.irises.org/Main/Bio/HybridizerCaddAnnaDavid

For me, my favorites(have many) are old fashioned carnations,the ones that smell like cloves and freesias, again, they are because of the smell.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: Congratulations on your appointment for vaccine! I envy you. We supposedly have an appointment in February. I’m not holding my breath. :ohwell:

I have a dear friend who lost two family members in the pandemic. I had not been in touch due to my injuries from the fall, so I called her. Her husband and sister both passed in December. She has asked me not to come and visit her. I will respect that request. Sending a condolence card seems too little. I welcome suggestions. She has been kind and generous to me over the years and I feel sad for her terrible losses in December.

Katla in NW Oregon

I know for us, when I was up with my mom after dad passed(and we were all sick) that a meal dropped off on the porch was AMAZING. To have a great meal that we didn't have to cook was so appreciated. Mom didn't want to bother anyone, said she felt bad accepting when she had so much food in the freezer/pantry that she could cook. I did talk her into it and she really did appreciate it. One friend brought home made spaghetti and home made bread, the next day another friend dropped off Chinese food- that soup was AMAZING and perfect when we were not feeling our best. Another friend dropped off a big salad with just about every topping possible(she did this after I had gone home but mom raved about it- had enough for three or four meals).
    Each time she said she didn't feel like she was really hungry but surprised herself at home much she ate.
    I was thrilled to have food I didn't have to cook because I didn't want her having to cook for me as she wasnt feeling good either(so I ate toast or crackers for the first 4-5 days-not that I had much of an appetite but knew I needed to eat something_

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Debbie: I know one of my friend’s favorite food items and will happily take it to her when I think it would be welcome. When I spoke to her she said she does not want visitors at this time. I know that she has family in the area.

Thanks for all of your great ideas about flowers vs donations for my friend. She is in my prayers. I asked whether there was anything I can do and she said no. I’ll leave it at that for now and see how things go as time goes along. :flowerforyou:

I have been thinking of Allie often. I hope things are going well for her. No news brings out my worry.

Katla in NW OR
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie: I know one of my friend’s favorite food items and will happily take it to her when I think it would be welcome. When I spoke to her she said she does not want visitors at this time. I know that she has family in the area.

Thanks for all of your great ideas about flowers vs donations for my friend. She is in my prayers. I asked whether there was anything I can do and she said no. I’ll leave it at that for now and see how things go as time goes along. :flowerforyou:

I have been thinking of Allie often. I hope things are going well for her. No news brings out my worry.

Katla in NW OR

we couldn't have visitors either but both friends left the food on the porch and called to let us know it was there. Maybe a little snack basket if not a regular meal.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Barbie - What beautiful blankets and hats. You are very talented.

Beth - I think that is what term my Mom used in her diaries as well. Progressive Dinner. Well, she used Supper as that is what we call the evening meal.

Tina - I want to write a book too, just for my girls. I have my Mother's and Grandmother's diaries. As I read through them I get a lot of emotions and memories of how I was feeling. I want to write the book with their diary entry on particular days and then my memory. I think it would be nice to have and then I might not feel so guilty if I get rid of some of the diaries. I have a whole trunk full. A few years ago for Christmas I created a scrapbook style recipe binder for the girls. I found in my Mom's and Grandmother's (both maternal and paternal) diaries an entry where they made the recipe and included it along with pictures. They loved them.

Katla - I am an Apple product fan as well. My husband is not. I'm so happy to read you finally received your glasses!

Evelyn - I have been craving something sweet in the evenings which is not my normal at all. I don't want to bake anything because my husband shouldn't be having it. I'm really craving my Grandmother's doughnuts. We have a precarious tree that we watch closely every windstorm too.

Kylia - I should close my curtains to help with the heat loss, but I feel so claustrophobic with them closed. I don't know why that is.

Barbara - I'm glad you are getting soon soon, that is a worry you don't need to have. I don't know if she thought about the anesthesia causing memory issues or not. She has automatically thought of Alzheimer's and cancer I think. Alzheimer's is on our shared family side and cancer is on her Father's side.

I am up to the end of page 80
    I'll catch up more when I get home from work.

Tracey in a snowy blistery Edmonton

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Cat and pup are approaching it slowly.
    9yk4q705m5sa.jpg

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Karla - our neighbors husband passed away a few years ago. She said it was so hard to think of what she needed so it was easier to say I don’t need anything. She said what was helpful was when someone would text her and say I’m bringing you dinner on Monday, what time do you want it delivered. This could be a porch drop off if your friend doesn’t want to see you. I grabbed her laundry and brought it home and took it back to her folded and ready to be put away. Another friend cut her grass.

Hope you find something that feels right to you.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    4e68ywtd5vby.jpeg
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Katla: 🤓Hooray! And for paying off the car.
    Evelyn: Great job on the scale. You'll soon be back to precovid I'm sure.

Also wondering about Allie. Hope she is okay.

Kylia: I also have a indoor circuit around my home. I can get about 150 steps per circuit. And I often walk backwards and forwards in front of the TV.

Did shopping early this morning, and had a Zoom Travel Books Group meeting this afternoon. We discussed 'Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. Our next book is about the Hindu Kush.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Bowling tonight. Hey, I bowled a 170 in one of the games!!! I’m thrilled when I break 100 so for me that was good. Wish it had been on Monday in the senior league, but oh well….

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :) The staff at my school had a progressive dinner a year or so after my mother died and we moved into her house. She had enough plates, silverware, and cloth napkins and enough places to "perch" that it was easy for me to host the main course of the dinner. What worried me about the event was that cocktails were the first stop of the event and even though I wasn't drinking I worried about those who were drinking and then drove to the next house.

:) Thank you for all your kind words about my knitting. It was exciting to try a new pattern and to do something meaningful for my new friend.

<3 Barbie in NW WA