Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think about the J&J results? If you haven't heard, it's not nearly as effective as Moderna or the Pfizer (both 95%). It's like 67% effective, but keeps 85% from being severe and out of the hospital.

My two cents. I'd take it and wait on Moderna or Pfizer being more widely available. I think they also said the the J&J is only like 50% effective against the S Africa strain.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think about the J&J results? If you haven't heard, it's not nearly as effective as Moderna or the Pfizer (both 95%). It's like 67% effective, but keeps 85% from being severe and out of the hospital.

My two cents. I'd take it and wait on Moderna or Pfizer being more widely available. I think they also said the the J&J is only like 50% effective against the S Africa strain.

I agree with you, as long as side effects are minimal. 67% is way better than 0%, but, moot point unless approved.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My large US company announced we are extending WFH for those that can from April 1 to July 6 for the earliest return to office date.

We have been working from home since last March and have had no updates on our status. While there is no way I will be going back in office 5 days a week (they redid our work space as 2 floors instead of 3 so there are less spots for employees), it is possible at some point it will be a couple days of the week... or not at all. They supposedly have a policy that they came up with, but have yet to share it even though word of that came out like 6 months ago.

I am worried about the double mask remarks. As many of you know from the start of this, I had issues with masks early on due to anxiety and PTSD. I was able to finally get myself wearing them without panic attacks and working through the issues that caused said panic attacks. There is no way in heck I think I can handle two masks. So now I am all stressed about doing my grocery shopping (which is the only time I really go anywhere except for medical stuff).

Just a thought, can you do curbside pick up?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I thought I saw they weren’t recommending J&J for people 65+. Has anyone else seen this?
    A little ways back I was saying gkids in school since Sept, no problems. Well, just found out gson in OK is in quarantine from school exposure. :'(
    I think I am usually optimistic, but the vaccine rollout is discouraging. Seems like the chance of getting a shot, now that I am eligible, is the equivalent of winning the lottery.

It's the Astra-Zeneca vaccine that they are saying to only give to people under 65. I don't know why.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I had read that they are going to do a trial to see if a second dose of the J&J might boost its effectiveness closer to the level of the other two. Everyone was excited about the J&J vaccine, because they had been saying only one dose was needed. That might not end up being the case.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @spiriteagle99 Thanks.. I couldn’t remember which one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, just for consideration:

Report on NPR station a little while ago (didn't notice whether it was national or state level) says double masking is now a good idea, partly because of the new variants that are more highly contagious. The expert ** they were interviewing suggested a disposable filter-type mask next to the face because of better filtration, cloth mask over that to add layers but especially to keep fit to the face better (fewer, smaller gaps).

** I didn't catch the intro; could've been anything from a science journalist regurgitating info to a high-level epidemiologist/doctor. Don't know, sorry. 😐🤷‍♀️

Other comments: N95 should still be primarily reserved for health care workers & similar. KN95 are fairly available, but lots of substandard/fake ones on the market (said CDC website has a list of reliable brands). Interviewee said she wouldn't worry about double mask for (say) walking the dog, but a good idea for places like grocery stores

Curious about the bolded because I've heard that many times in the last year, but the hospital I worked at only used surgical masks or PPAP hoods. I've even heard anecdotal stories that hospitals didn't allow nurses to bring in their own higher quality masks.

my understanding is that in the mask hierarchy it goes like this:
    1. N95 mask - Filters out 95% of particles, most effective.
    2. Surgical Mask - filters out about 50% of particles
    3. Cloth Masks - filters out like 10% of particles and is basically worthless...

I am slightly generalizing on the percent's in point 2 and 3..but I can probably dig up the article/study that I read it in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options

I had read that they are going to do a trial to see if a second dose of the J&J might boost its effectiveness closer to the level of the other two. Everyone was excited about the J&J vaccine, because they had been saying only one dose was needed. That might not end up being the case.

Besides the one-dose thing, I'd heard that another plus of the J&J vaccine is that it doesn't have the extreme cold storage requirement.

Even at the lower efficacy number, with a one-shot regimen, it would seem like the J&J has the potential to be very useful in an overall global sense. It can potentially be delivered effectively to areas with less infrastructure, and used in populations for which it's much more difficult to reliably carry out a 2-shot, time-sensitive regimen.

What I'd heard is that it's *very* effective in reducing the cases that require hospitalization (to zero or near), which, if true, would be a pretty big deal to recipients, especially if the comparison is waiting longer for a 2-shot, difficult-storage, yet more effective alternative to arrive, in particular areas. Realistically, that difference - not needing hospitalization - seems like it could reduce death risk in remote areas or underserved populations.

*IF* all of that is true, I do see the potential for a arguably-rational distribution strategy that still could be seen as two-tiered and unfair. To put it baldly, if the people who are underserved by health care and hard to reach (homeless, maybe economically disadvantaged, nomadic, whatever) get a less effective vaccine in larger proportions, it may be perpetuating systems that overall disadvantage the already disadvantaged, in some views.