Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What exercise/program defines BORING for you?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Walking outside alone. I want to walk with friends or my husband.

On the treadmill or rower I can watch a show but usually choose YouTube to spin, do yoga or circuit training.

Y'know, I think this is something bizarre about my brain**, but I can't watch TV while rowing machining.

Music, podcasts, audio only: Fine.

Add video, and I lose focus on technical details and groove in bad habits that will bite me come Spring, when back in a boat (where bad technique can easily turn rowing into swimming, Not A Good Thing especially in open water in Michigan in Spring, because cold, maybe even ice chunks at first).

** To make my point explicit: I'm not criticizing you! It's me that's weird. I'm actually envious of you.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Indoor cardio bores me to tears.

Yep, but that is what I do when it is too cold and/or wet for my daily 5 mile walk. I put a film on and try to forget about the activity.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Anything using a machine :smile: I LOVE TO SWIM!!!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

On the treadmill or rower I can watch a show but usually choose YouTube to spin, do yoga or circuit training.
    While time passes faster with someone, I actually enjoy walking alone. Gives me the time to get "within" myself and think. And I think of a lot of different things. As of late it's been about how I can improve my home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Same here. I also try to do a bit of "mindful walking" and get out in nature a bit. My husband would rather go with me, and I feel bad telling him I'd rather go by myself!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Y'know, I think this is something bizarre about my brain**, but I can't watch TV while rowing machining.

Add video, and I lose focus on technical details and groove in bad habits that will bite me come Spring, when back in a boat (where bad technique can easily turn rowing into swimming, Not A Good Thing especially in open water in Michigan in Spring, because cold, maybe even ice chunks at first).

** To make my point explicit: I'm not criticizing you! It's me that's weird. I'm actually envious of you.

I'm the same way on my bike when I had my dumb trainer. More like I'd lose focus on my intervals and intensity. I would occasionally spin a bit while watching football or something, but that was pretty much just to move and spin my legs and get a little exercise without any real kind of training purpose.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Not a fan of steady state cardio. I'll lift anything heavy any day of the week, but tell me I have to go for a long walk or run I'm not interested. I love HIIT type cardio.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'm the same way on my bike when I had my dumb trainer. More like I'd lose focus on my intervals and intensity. I would occasionally spin a bit while watching football or something, but that was pretty much just to move and spin my legs and get a little exercise without any real kind of training purpose.

I have a app on my tablet that beeps at the intervals I set. Really works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    For those of you bored by yoga, have you tried the "power" yoga types? Ashtanga?

I'm never bored by yoga, but I have to be in the right head space for it - already reasonably chill.

I'm bored by any indoor stationary cardio.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member

Possibly because your focal view changes when watching TV while rowing. It's back and forth so your eyes focus and refocus continually whereas on the others you don't need to eye focus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    dsc84 wrote: »
    Not a fan of steady state cardio. I'll lift anything heavy any day of the week, but tell me I have to go for a long walk or run I'm not interested. I love HIIT type cardio.
    Running HIIT is brutal if done correctly. I do it 3 times a week and my recovery after 8 sets takes a toll. I walk so much slower and it takes me about 5 minutes to speed up to normal again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Possibly because your focal view changes when watching TV while rowing. It's back and forth so your eyes focus and refocus continually whereas on the others you don't need to eye focus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's not the watching that suffers, it's the rowing that suffers.

One year, I let myself get way behind on the C2 Holiday Challenge, and had to do some 20K days to finish (not 20k without a break, but still a tedious amount of volume). So, I watched movies. The movies were swell. The rowing gradually slid in the direction of s*ck.

I fall back into bad habits that I'd previously laboriously mostly broken, like opening the body angle a little too soon, or not getting my heels down fast enough, or a bit too much layback, or . . . . !

Something about the visual stimulus is too absorbing or distracting, and I start to lose focus on the tiny details of technique. I can't afford that. Audio is fine. I just see at higher volume than I hear, brain-wise, I guess. 🤷‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2021
    Oops, network glitch, duplicate post.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    I like some indoor stationary exercises, but hate stationary biking. It is boring AND hurts my behind.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I like some indoor stationary exercises, but hate stationary biking. It is boring AND hurts my behind.

Yes and yes!
    Even with exactly the same saddle and riding position indoor cycling is a PITA after a short time - missing the rocking motion you get when riding outdoors apparently.
    With good music I can tolerate an hour or a little more indoors for my technical (mostly interval) training but need to put in some standing cycling for saddle relief. Very much training for results and not exercise for enjoyment though.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited January 2021
    Any intense indoor exercise. Less intense indoor exercise like walking, I can watch tv and completely forget im walking for a few hours. But when im doing intense exercise like my treadclimber, i can barely focus on the tv. I usually have to listen to music to get through it. NFL or UFC i can watch and get into the exercise, but those shows are only on once a week so only get a good intense workout on those days.
  • Slejhamer2112
    Slejhamer2112 Posts: 10 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have discovered Zwift and enjoy it far more than any other indoor cycling I've ever done.

My wife LOVES Peloton classes but I find those incredibly boring, and most of the instructors annoying. I almost regretted buying a spin bike for indoor cycling, but I recently found Zwift and am really digging it. Gives new life to the bike for me, and is a completely different experience from the Peloton-style classes. Ride on!

• WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Spin class made me want to light my hair on fire to make it interesting.