Not Hungry

Options
I've always eaten out of boredom and curiosity more than hunger. I've started to stop myself from eating until I'm actually hungry. It doesn't always work since hunger comes in waves (I found if you ignore it for awhile, it stops) and I've also been a lifelong member of the Clean Plate Club. I've had to force myself to put the other half of the sandwich in the fridge or - oh my God - toss it out.

Some people have told me I have to eat my prescribed calories every day no matter what, unless I'm super-sick. Others have said I should "listen to my body" and eat only when I'm actually really hungry...not a stomach rumble or two, not "Eh, I could eat right now", not I feel a twinge of hunger that'll go away in 5 minutes if I stay strong.

I presume on a calorie counting site, I should know what kind of answer to expect, but has anyone else just ate when hungry with good or bad results?

Replies

• HerNameIsMischief
    HerNameIsMischief Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm not measuring right now because I'm visiting family, but I'll probably start in a couple of days when I get home. I have so much to lose (6'3", start 285 curr 270 goal 185) that it's a lot more attractive to eat only when hungry rather than do what MFP suggests and have to wait a year or two before I look decent enough to start dating. I'm going to see what happens...I do know that whatever I choose has to be for life, not some "lose 30 lbs in two weeks" crash diet.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is all about balance. Most of us don't have it, that is why we are here. Food issues span a huge spectrum. From eating disorders to not knowing when to really eat or if you should..anorexia..binging.. to counting every morsel that goes into the mouth. It is all .. very unnatural.

I really don't have your answer. .except to look to the experts for health and nutrition. if mfp says to eat so many calories a day.. eat them. If the BMI chart indicates one is overweight or underweight. It is true.
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    The problem is that MFP has to worry about liability. That's why I think if you were to eat, say, 800 calories in a day and attempt to post it, they won't let you because they figure others will see it and copy you and MFP could get in legal trouble. It's also why they refuse to entertain the idea of a person losing more than 2 lbs a week, which seems a bit ridiculous to me. I know that works for some people, especially if they are smaller in stature and don't have much to lose. I can't stand the notion that I'd have to wait at least a year before I could look at myself in the mirror or date.
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    My problem with IE is that I sometimes ate because of hunger, but mostly ate because food tastes really, really good. Knowing that I'm "full" was never disincentive to not grab the next piece of pizza, because if it could literally fit in my stomach at all, I was willing to see what I could stuff in there. Not to ameliorate hunger but just because I love eating food.

I'm the same as you. I almost never eat out of hunger. I eat because I'm bored, because I like the taste, because I like to cook, and I also sometimes have feelings that I have to finish everything (the Clean Plate Club). I'm also fat because until recently, I was drinking at least as many calories as I was eating.

But that's not intuitive eating. Intuitive eating would be not eating unless truly hungry, meaning not just because it's been awhile since you ate, not because you felt a couple of stomach rumbles, and not even if you felt a temporary (say 5-15 minute) wave of mild to moderate hunger. I've found the desire to eat goes away most of the time if you give it a little time.
  • tedjohnson8193
    tedjohnson8193 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since Aug 2017 I've been eating a keto diet, high fat, extremely low carb, and moderate protein. One of the things I like is that I don't get hungry. Look into keto, for me, it was a big-time life changer.
  • tedjohnson8193
    tedjohnson8193 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In response to why lose weight... for me, it was a matter of health. To combat high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and pre-diabetes I needed to get into a normal weight range. Went from an obese 265 pounds into a normal range within 4 months (Dr supervised diet).More than anything it's a health issue rather than vanity.
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Options
    I guess I have to at least preserve muscle...I certainly don't have a surplus right now. Every trainer tells me to stop wanting to be thin and to - ugh - "use your size to your advantage," meaning lift weights and concentrate on getting muscular instead. While that would certainly be a better look than what I have right now, it still means I'd be seen as a big guy, which I can't stand. Making matters worse, I'm bald, so being 6'3", bald, and muscular would make me look exactly how I don't want people to see me.

Maybe it won't fix my self-esteem issues entirely, but at least I wouldn't be fat on top of the other things, and maybe people would stop making rude remarks to me about looking like a football player or a bouncer. And maybe if I dated, I wouldn't have someone telling me that they love "how small [they] look next to me."