Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

1980s definatly, and back..Why were people more fit, toned and healthy Looking?

I'm watching a movie from the 80s and it's unreal how taught & toned these women look in bikinis, I've noticed this in other movies, clips and footage from decades of 80s and beyond, people most had healthy weighted,portioned, fit bodies, Why? How?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2021
    Which movies? I’m curious.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm old enough to have been adult in the 1980s (even the 1970s, actually): Good grief. No. "People" were not "taut & toned". That's the movies. On average people were thinner, certainly, but "toned" women (in real life) were probably less muscular than nowadays, and probably being "fit" in any rational definition was less common amongst the general population of women compared to now, besides. Most women in the 1980s were not "toned" or fit.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm old enough to have been adult in the 1980s (even the 1970s, actually): Good grief. No. "People" were not "taut & toned". That's the movies. On average people were thinner, certainly, but "toned" women (in real life) were probably less muscular than nowadays, and probably being "fit" in any rational definition was less common amongst the general population of women compared to now, besides. Most women in the 1980s were not "toned" or fit.

I stated
    "Healthy weighted,portioned, fit bodies"
    Not saying everyone was" fit", but I observed for the most part, people appeared, average, healthy weight, in general, in real footage clips ect..and in older stuff just kinda seems like people weren't really as Obese ..idk
    ALSO
    -Im aware of the aerobics trend in the 1980s, that's where I notice alot of taught tone bodies" in older 80s footage; People are saying drugs, but weren't the drugs illegal? Were most and/or "regular "people taking drugs too?
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    A couple of things that have added to the trend of upward weight and waistlines is the increase in cheap fast food and convenience foods (loaded with fat/sugar) in peoples diets and the introduction of the computer, which influences more sitting than former generations ever did. I was born in the late 1950's, grew up in the 60's. It was rare to see a fat kid, rare to see anyone morbidly obese. Now, it's common.

Yep, I know I'm not bonkers I've taken an interest in (lots) old footage from 40s, 50s, 60s across the board, I noticed people were around average weight give or take( in general) so much to the point that I started noticing when someone was Obese; I then asked myself..what happened, how did we get here?...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    BTW, IMO the differences in food culture (huge) and in how much average people need to move in daily life (also big) are much more important in creating the "obesity crisis" than the incidence of illegal drug usage. Even in terms of distorting images you're seeing from the past, the demographics around cameras/film and who will appear on them are probably more of an influence on what you see, than is the reality of the total environment of the time . . . even though more people were thinner in the 1980s and prior.

There are a lot of average-lifestyle differences between then and now, in ways that are somewhat inobvious to people who weren't adult then, and a lot of issues that distort the image people now will get of what things were like then. (I think the same is true in comparing most eras decades apart, probably.)
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Cocaine, lots and lots and lots of cocaine!!