Options

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    🤦🏼‍♀️ MFP told me so, those exact words. It was regarding a comment that I genuinely meant no harm or disrespect, like a scenario where you mispronounce something wrong your whole life and someone finally tells you the correct way. I wouldn’t consider that person a jerk for informing me. I even stated that I hope it helped. I felt pretty bad that MFP would make issue of it (no one else did) and then I felt, unsettled, like wow, I have contributed for 6 years, and in 400ish posts I have received roughly 2000 positive responses. I don’t really think I’m a jerk, do you? Makes you not want to contribute anymore, ya know? I love this community. I think the dialogue is fun, fascinating, and it’s even cool to debate from time to time. I hope I haven’t hurt any of you on a personal level, and if so I want to sincerely apologize. I’m gonna crawl in a hole now 😐.
    In all honesty if something some random internet person said about you on MFP is bothering you this much, maybe it is time to reasses things? It’s just a Internet forum....

Just my .002

No way dude! Random internet people I’m cool with. A forum I’ve supported for 6 years calling me a jerk, that was uncalled for. That being said, I agree one shouldn’t dwell.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    igqi1bt6cx5a.gif

Is this considered a dirty jerk? Asking for a friend.

:D
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    igqi1bt6cx5a.gif

He would be called " That bloody jerk!" :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    igqi1bt6cx5a.gif

:D

Roid jerk
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    🤦🏼‍♀️ MFP told me so, those exact words. It was regarding a comment that I genuinely meant no harm or disrespect, like a scenario where you mispronounce something wrong your whole life and someone finally tells you the correct way. I wouldn’t consider that person a jerk for informing me. I even stated that I hope it helped. I felt pretty bad that MFP would make issue of it (no one else did) and then I felt, unsettled, like wow, I have contributed for 6 years, and in 400ish posts I have received roughly 2000 positive responses. I don’t really think I’m a jerk, do you? Makes you not want to contribute anymore, ya know? I love this community. I think the dialogue is fun, fascinating, and it’s even cool to debate from time to time. I hope I haven’t hurt any of you on a personal level, and if so I want to sincerely apologize. I’m gonna crawl in a hole now 😐.
    In all honesty if something some random internet person said about you on MFP is bothering you this much, maybe it is time to reasses things? It’s just a Internet forum....

Just my .002

No way dude! Random internet people I’m cool with. A forum I’ve supported for 6 years calling me a jerk, that was uncalled for. That being said, I agree one shouldn’t dwell.

Meh, MFP has been worse to me. Remember jail???

Wait what?! Did you correct grammar and spelling? What is this jail you speak of?
  • Ddsb11
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Since we've gone silly anyways...here's a good typo story.

I was typing up a message for a large, outdoor video display on a busy street.

The text was supposed to say "Take a Shot".

There was a VERY unfortunate typo on my part.

Why is the "I" right next to the "O" on a keyboard?

Someone caught the mistake after a few hours. I'm not sure how many people saw it, but it was before the days of camera phones and social media, so at least there's no lasting evidence.

😭🤣 It’s a shame you don’t have a picture of that! I feel like I would have framed that and hung it in my bathroom. Bill Gates’ mugshot will have to do.

ligtj9wx9q67.png

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @Ddsb11 You and I could be great friends! Big laughs, I played Drop a Word/Add a Word in the Fun and Games section. People do not play by the rules, use incorrect grammar and use words that aren't even words, don't use correct punctuation, and use symbols to replace words making it three words instead of two. They're names or made up and too often they're not even spelled correctly. It drives me crazy. I have a paper dictionary but being as you see me online, I also have access to an online one. Anyway, I made one comment to someone who doesn't play correctly on a consistent basis and was asked "who cares." I do!!! Then I started giving them a dose of their own medicine so they could see how awful it was to watch, like a train wreck. My husband and daughter asked why I was laughing so hard. It was hysterical... I now clown with clowns because if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Edited to add...much of the time, the scenario or phrase didn't even make sense or wasn't even a legitimate thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I think I remember recently someone who responded to a post and corrected the poster's punctuation and grammar? If that was you, then yeah, that's frowned upon.

That’s correct, I was having trouble reading it, so thought it was relevant to help. There was another post awhile back where all caps were used, and someone had informed them it meant yelling and it was hard to read. Anyway, that’s where my head was at, and I tried to say it politely.

I understand. In my office, I'm labeled the "Grammar Nerd", and everyone sends me documents to proofread.

But, on a forum like this, correcting someone's grammar, spelling, or punctuation can be taken as pretentious, insensitive, and not relevant to their question.

For many people here, English may not be their native language. Or, they are just typing with their thumbs on their phone and not aware or caring about errors.

In any case, I wouldn't feel too badly about it. You violated the community rules and got a slap on the wrist. Accept it and move on.

At my last job I had lots of ESL coworkers and they appreciated when I corrected their English (which was much better than my Spanish, and I appreciated when they corrected that.)

Here I mostly ignore it. I won't swear I've never offered a correction.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Just my .002

Meh, MFP has been worse to me. Remember jail???

Wait what?! Did you correct grammar and spelling? What is this jail you speak of?

If you got too many warnings they would put bars on your profile and restrict posting...

Do they still do that? Or are the forums more tame now?

I remember that. Haven't seen it in awhile though...seems like 95% of the regulars in Chit-Chat always had bars on their avatar. Lol
  • Ddsb11
    edited February 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm sure the mod who spanked you was quoting from the Community Guidelines and didn't have any choice in their language. But I get your point.

Also, the guidelines say "attacks against the member’s spelling or command of written English" and I do believe you were coming from a place of CARING, not belittling.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines

1. Play Nice

I WILL:

I will be respectful and understand that everyone is different. Some members are new to this, so be kind to the newbies.

I will remember the human on the other side of the screen.

I will share my opinions while respecting others' thoughts and feelings as well.

I will be ready to hear and accept other opinions that I might not always agree with.

I will ignore users.

I WON'T:

I won’t be a jerk.

I won't attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. I can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but I cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the member’s spelling or command of written English, belittling a member for posting a duplicate discussion, or attacking a member for posting in an older discussion. (ie. It’s lose not loose, strong first post, didn’t you already post this today, etc.) Not every member has the same level of education, so I’ll refrain from criticizing a member for not framing their content in a manner befitting a university-level science paper.

I won’t pick apart how something is said; I will focus on the meaning/message.

Missed opportunity I guess? Fortunately I’ve laughed it off, and feel less weird about it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    qhob_89 wrote: »

Just my .002

I think what you meant is “Just my .02

Sorry couldn’t resist...

👀 I’ll watch for my jerk mail.

Well for this threads it’s .002 but yes you are right lol
This discussion has been closed.