So I’m a Jerk

Options

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I generally like to be corrected, but feel like it's mostly graceless or snarky to correct others, unless I know them well enough to know that they'd appreciate it rather than feeling belittled. Private, rather than public, correction is a nicety, in any case.

IMO, being openly punctilious about details of others' language usage tends to be a class marker: Not upper class, but aspirational, basically lace-curtain class.

Thanks for telling me I am “having social pretensions; self-consciously genteel”. I had to look up lace-curtain class if that helps. Work in progress however you want to look at it 🙋🏼‍♀️

ETA: completely different meaning here- characteristic of or aspiring to the standards and attributes of the middle class. This is the version I think you were referencing.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    This horse is so beaten and dead it's impossible to tell if it's even a horse at this point, and yet I can't stop watching.

I can't decide if this thread is amusing or horrifying, but I'm leaning toward amusing.

its almost classic MFP, in my opinion.... :bigsmile:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    OP, Don't take comments like that personally. I have no clue about the posts that warranted their response but, as much as most of us love this place, it's still an online forum. We need to place our real emotions and feelings more in our real lives and not with a poster who got irked by a correction or two.
    Yes, some people do not like to be corrected, even on an online forum but let it go. Just remember it's more important to be kind than right.
    You know your heart. <3
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There have been posts on grammatical errors in the past--"lose, loose" being the worst. It used to drive me crazy, but with cell phone usage, fast typing, and then non-English users, it's just getting quaint. The only problem is when you really can't figure out what they're trying to say.
    Also, now that I'm using my Italian phone to message in Italy, I know I'm making mistakes in that language. It's either that or not communicate. When I use it to message in English I have to check every word. It will autocorrect and some of the things that come out are laughable. Switching from one language to another on a cell will do that, so some of the errors coming through might be due to foreign phones. I use my laptop for MFP.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm a self-professed grammar nazi (and formerly a professional writer and editor) but on social media.... I let it go.

Truly, all you do is make yourself look like, well... Sorry.

I know you meant well... but yeah.

Grammar nazi or should it be grammar Nazi?
    Discuss.

:smiley:

even I let it go with my own posts ;)

LMAO

now I have that stupid song in my head.

I hate Disney. LOL
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    🤦🏼‍♀️ MFP told me so, those exact words. It was regarding a comment that I genuinely meant no harm or disrespect, like a scenario where you mispronounce something wrong your whole life and someone finally tells you the correct way. I wouldn’t consider that person a jerk for informing me. I even stated that I hope it helped. I felt pretty bad that MFP would make issue of it (no one else did) and then I felt, unsettled, like wow, I have contributed for 6 years, and in 400ish posts I have received roughly 2000 positive responses. I don’t really think I’m a jerk, do you? Makes you not want to contribute anymore, ya know? I love this community. I think the dialogue is fun, fascinating, and it’s even cool to debate from time to time. I hope I haven’t hurt any of you on a personal level, and if so I want to sincerely apologize. I’m gonna crawl in a hole now 😐.
    In all honesty if something some random internet person said about you on MFP is bothering you this much, maybe it is time to reasses things? It’s just a Internet forum....

Just my .002

No way dude! Random internet people I’m cool with. A forum I’ve supported for 6 years calling me a jerk, that was uncalled for. That being said, I agree one shouldn’t dwell.

Meh, MFP has been worse to me. Remember jail???

Wait what?! Did you correct grammar and spelling? What is this jail you speak of?

If you got too many warnings they would put bars on your profile and restrict posting...

Do they still do that? Or are the forums more tame now?

i haven't seen or heard of anyone going to jail on here in awhile. But I also don't always pay THAT close of attention. I was tossed in there once or twice.

Not for grammar though LOL

usually for ... well, my name is my name LMAO
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    This horse is so beaten and dead it's impossible to tell if it's even a horse at this point, and yet I can't stop watching.

I can't decide if this thread is amusing or horrifying, but I'm leaning toward amusing.

Started as dead horse, but now it’s amusing...
This discussion has been closed.