February 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Speaking of donuts, @polskagirl01 , it's almost paczki time...

You missed it, the pączki are gone! But I do think a few countries celebrate something similar on Tuesday :)

That would be us people of Polish extraction in northeast Ohio!!!

Well in that case, "Smacznego!" Enjoy!

I wish I could. My weight loss regimen does not allow for such an extravagance. I would be unable to exercise sufficient discipline to not eat the entire box. We get them in half dozen boxes.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I opt for distance.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Do any of you get hung up on being exactly at some number? If so, which one trumps the other, distance or time?

It all depends... If I'm feeling good, the longer of the two, if I'm tired, the shorter. If I'm really tired, I stop caring!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Can someone please post me some cold. So hot right now. It's a stunner day but I'm scheduled to get out for a quick 20 minute leg warm up before tomorrow's half and can't bear the thought! Might just wait a few hours.

It's the lovely, if hilly, Coatesville Half tomorrow. The race that prompted our impending move to the country. The weather is predicted to be 18˚C (64˚F) at 7am with 85% humidity so could be a stinker - I'd better run fast just to get it over with before it gets too hot! That being said, this is a B race, so I'm not supposed to push super hard, just a little bit hard. Anything under 1:55 would be good. Sub 1:50 would be amazing! But heat... hills...

Popped out to our site in Coatesville this morning as they've put in some posts and shifted some dirt...
    xawn82cpukty.jpeg

Good luck on your half tomorrow @ContraryMaryMary! I'd be happy to overnight you some cold weather. Not looking forward to my single digits Fahrenheit run tomorrow but not sure I'd trade you for the humidity. But I hope you get your goal time! I find the races that aren't my main goal sometimes are the best ones, pressures off a little.

Do any of you get hung up on being exactly at some number? If so, which one trumps the other, distance or time?

It all depends... If I'm feeling good, the longer of the two, if I'm tired, the shorter. If I'm really tired, I stop caring!

This is the truth!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    February Goal: Hike/Run the "C's" *

2/1 off
    2/2 3.50 Cote D'Ivoire and Cape Verde Islands
    2/3 off
    2/4 3.35 Cambodia
    2/5 Life
    2/6 3.55 Cameroon
    2/7 4.30 Canada
    2/8 off
    2/9 2.10 (no "travel")
    2/10 3.35 Chad
    2/11 snorkel 2.5 hours
    It was glorious....clear, flat, endless fish including some 4ft barracuda. And 2 of 2 cameras failed. So here is an old pic that DH is currently making an oil rendering of:
    8mrcqo49vc8a.jpg

2/12 3.10 Central African Republic

Total 23.25

@noblsheep: I queued up 3 gorges and Yangtze river, the Silk road and "China extending through time." But, I'm ahead enough, and China is big enough, that I'll add a Beijing segment also!
    @katharmonic glad you're feeling better. Some of our hospital resident docs also had severe side effects. I had a sore arm, and profound fatigue for a day after the second shot, but consider myself lucky that it was a generally mild reaction

exercise.png

*So, my 2021 resolution is to hike/run all 193 (or 195 depending on your source) countries of the world this year. This could be difficult, since I don’t have a passport. But YouTube to the rescue! I have been using the site to take train “trips” recently, and have found them strangely motivating. Why not use Youtube vlogs to hike/run the world (and learn something about each country)?

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Good luck for tomorrow @ContraryMaryMary!

Well did my 16k this morning. I was tired before going out, and in hindsight kinda wished I left it for tomorrow. But stubborn I am. I went. And frankly tomorrow may not be any better as the reason I'm tired is because I've been working lates. And I'm working lates all weekend.

The run was great. I felt good. I made sure I kept to my pace goal the whole way this time and I did. The last km I started to get a few niggles - hip and calf. I took a brief walking break and the niggles went away. So ran the last bit. They didn't come back during the run, but now several hours later, I'm getting tightness in my calf. It's the same tightness that indicates scar tissue. So I am not worried, I'm sure it's just scar tissue getting used to things. It's definitely not sore at rest or while walking, just those first few steps when I start walking after resting a bit. Enough it's there.

Fortunately this week is a taper. So I have a 3k gentle run Monday. 5k gentle run wed. Nothing Thurs or Friday. A 6.5k run at regular pace Saturday then race on Sunday. I will be sensible. Any concerns on race day, I'll drop distance or something. But I'm confident a good sleep, and rest, I'll be all good. I was here a couple of months ago.

Sounds good @avidkeo. Niggles after that many kilometres is very common - I take it as a good reminder to check my form. You’ll be great next Sunday. Perhaps, though, rather than doing 6km on Saturday, try a 5-10 minute warmup then 2km at race pace. It’s a good reminder for your legs as to what race pace should feel like but won’t fatigue you at all. 20 minutes total is more than enough the day before a race.

Thank you for this. Its actually a huge relief to read this. I'll think about your idea. I'm following a Hal plan but am happy to change as needed! Have to be flexible.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    2-1 6.1k treadmill
    2-2 5k treadmill + yoga
    2-3 6k slow
    2-4 6k easy + yoga
    2-5 5k treadmill
    2-6 6k slow + yoga
    2-7 5k treadmill
    2-8 7k slow
    2-9 6k treadmill + yoga
    2-10 7k slow
    2-11 6k treadmill + yoga
    2-12 7k measy (between moderate and easy)
    2-13 7k measy

February Total: 89.1k
    February Goal: 150k

Cloudy (again), low 20s F (again), with a nasty little wind from the east (again). Just a touch quicker today. Based on the weather forecast, looks like there will be a lot of treadmill time next week.

CRUSH your half, @ContraryMaryMary!!!

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Very pretty sunset...cold looking, but pretty. Glad you are doing better. I tend to "work" in quarter mile and 5 min increments. Usually, I go with distance and don't worry about how long it takes me to get there.

@ContraryMaryMary Good luck on your HM today. It's probably already over. I'm sure you did great. Yeah for having things started on your new house. Love your response to my question!

@HonuNui It stinks that your cameras weren't working, but that is a great picture!

@rheddmobile Sorry about the horses and your mom, but glad you were able to help before she did anything really dangerous. If you are worried about dementia, I'd just keep a closer watch on the things she does...maybe write them down and talk with her doctor about them? The ice covered trees are beautiful. Sounds like you did great with your run/walk. That's a lot of predicated snow. We aren't supposed to get any. I guess it is going north of us. I hope they are wrong and you don't get that much either. If you do, just stay home and stay safe!

@Avidkeo You are doing great! You are going to kill that HM next week!

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Good luck @ContraryMaryMary
    It's 730am now, so she should be starting soon.

Thanks @eleanorhawkins for that. It's a huge relief to hear niggles are normal. Woken up niggle gree in the calf, just "tired" hips. Will take the kids our for a hike and then stretch/roll this avo.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins That does sound like an adventurous run. Yay for the new job and getting to set your own hours! Don't you just hate it when you go back to a place that holds fond memories and it is completely different and run down?

@kgirlhart You did great getting out and doing any distance in those conditions!

@polskagirl01 Love that you ran to get your parcel with a sled. Glad they extended the virtual run so you can try for a better run later.