February 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Also don't people who ride horses a lot have a walk like that? Think John Wayne
    Um. No 😱

Lol I am sorry, didn't mean to go negative stereotypes. I've definitely had patients who spend their whole life on a horse and walk a bit bow legged. That's what I had in mind. And when I say whole like, I mean literally. They don't have cars, bikes or anything. And they are farmers so All their transport is a horse.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Um. No 😱

Lol I am sorry, didn't mean to go negative stereotypes. I've definitely had patients who spend their whole life on a horse and walk a bit bow legged. That's what I had in mind. And when I say whole like, I mean literally. They don't have cars, bikes or anything. And they are farmers so All their transport is a horse.

I used to date a bow legged cowboy! He was a bull rider which is even crazier than being a normal cowboy.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I applaud you for running in those conditions. I usually just take a nice, easy walk and then run on the treadmill. I have no idea about the foot prints. Weird.

@angmarie28 I'm with you. Way too cold for an outdoor run! Where do you live?

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    February Goal: 90 Miles

2/2: 5.31 miles
    2/3: 6.07 miles
    2/5: 5.26 miles
    2/7: 10.10 miles
    2/8: 5.30 miles

32.04/90  miles completed for February

I did run this morning. I went 5.3 .miles.  It was a nice run. A little chilly because of the wind,  but not bad. It's supposed to be around 30°F in the morning.  I just keep reminding myself that it's supposed to become even colder later in the week. I am pretty tired now,  so I will have to catch up on the thread tomorrow. 

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    2-1 6.1k treadmill
    2-2 5k treadmill + yoga
    2-3 6k slow
    2-4 6k easy + yoga
    2-5 5k treadmill
    2-6 6k slow + yoga
    2-7 5k treadmill
    2-8 7k slow
    2-9 6k treadmill + yoga

February Total: 52.1k
    February Goal: 150k

Had some light snow overnight, and it was still snowing a little this morning, so I opted for the treadmill.

@shanaber Those are some cool pelicans.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @katharmonic I love those snow shoes. That would make me want to do some snow hiking! Hope you are able to get in a few before winter is over.

@rheddmobile That sounds like a really tough course! You did great to complete it. I hope they don't take your markers down! Since your goal is to duplicate the in person race as closely as possible, I would probably postpone if the conditions are as forecast. I understand about Memphis drivers in the snow. We get the same thing here. It is much safer to stay at home.

@shanaber I am a little bit irritated with the service people, but being mad will do no good. It will get fixed and next time, I'll call someone else. Glad you got in a run/walk and listened to your body. Hope the MRI gives you the answers you need. Love the pictures. That's such a cool place to run.

@Eaglesfanintn Oh no! I hope it isn't serious!

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @Eaglesfanintn Oh, no! I hope you bounce back quickly.

@juliet3455 Wow, that is a temperature I can't even wrap my mind around!

@rheddmobile Either way the conditions seem like they could be tough. If you aren't excited about doing it in the snow and/or you want to closely replicate race day, I would say postpone. It would be so painful to run a tough course and not really want to be there if it was an optional thing. In an in-person race there is this mentality of everyone having to deal with bad conditions. As a virtual thing, that would be really hard for me to overcome.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options

@angmarie28 I'm with you. Way too cold for an outdoor run! Where do you live?

Montana. We just got dumped a foot of snow, and it is about 10 below before factoring in the windchill.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile if you want to compete/compare time-wise I'd postpone. I think it would be fun in the snow but only if you weren't going to be disappointed in your time.

@shanaber love all the pelicans! I just love large birds of most any kind, they are so cool to watch. I'm glad your MRI got approved so quickly. Hope you can get it soon.

@Eaglesfanintn hope your strain isn't anything major.

Yikes @juliet3455!! Now that's some serious cold. Stay safe.

@martaindale nice work on your speedwork!! That's excellent. Always so great to surprise yourself with how you've improved. Well done.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    02/01/21 :::: 2.1 :::: 2.1
    02/02/21 :::: 1.6 :::: 3.6
    02/03/21 :::: 5.0 :::: 8.7
    02/04/21 :::: 2.9 :::: 11.5
    02/05/21 :::: 8.6 :::: 20.1
    02/06/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 24.1
    02/07/21 :::: 3.3 :::: 27.4
    02/08/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 30.4
    02/09/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 33.4

Same old, same old here. It's snowing and cold. Went to yoga and debated not running today at all, but decided to hit the treadmill after and just get it done.

Guess what's coming up again? The 4x4x48 challenge I did last year where we ran 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours (total 48 miles). This year we're apparently doing it along with the official David Goggins challenge dates and times, which is starting 8 pm March 5. Last year we did this in May. I'm not excited about this change. March 5 is likely to be full on winter still and starting with night runs. I'm trying to be on board but it's not sounding fun.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @juliet3455 I wouldn't even step outside in those temps! Yikes!

Congratulations on such a great run @martaindale ! That's awesome!

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,799 Member
    Options
    Um. No 😱

I am laughing but I don't think bow leggedness is the cause of those duck tracks in the snow. I have seen many older people with bow legs who do not ride. I think there is a medical condition which the outside ligaments/tendons supports the straightness are affected. Not a medical person but it's definitely painful to see in some cases (more men than women also). I suppose if you really spent hours and hours each day on a horse that could contribute to stretching of the outer portions like that...
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    Guess what's coming up again? The 4x4x48 challenge I did last year where we ran 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours (total 48 miles). This year we're apparently doing it along with the official David Goggins challenge dates and times, which is starting 8 pm March 5. Last year we did this in May. I'm not excited about this change. March 5 is likely to be full on winter still and starting with night runs. I'm trying to be on board but it's not sounding fun.

Yikes! I thought it was 24 hours! 48???