WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Oh look ... we're actually getting a couple warmish days! :)

2dg1phh77kcw.png
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am trying to work out why I am so tired right after work ... and trying to figure out how to increase my energy.

Ideally, my husband and I would like to go cycling after work. I feel energetic all day, right up till I get onto the bus ... I look forward to cycling all day. But about 2 seconds after I get onto the hot stuffy bus, my energy absolutely disappears and by the time I get home all I feel like doing is napping.

I do drag myself out for a walk sometimes but feel like that's about all I can do.

The idea of changing into cycling gear and driving to a spot we can cycle is just too much.

A couple hours later I get a surge of energy again which can take me through to midnight. But by then, it's dark and we don't really want to go out.

I thought I would have more energy once uni finished.

I am sleeping a bit more now.

I don't have homework in the evenings.

But I still don't have energy.

M in Oz

Machka, I think a day of work is tiring.
    I'm thinking of a book read long ago by jack kornfield. He was teaching a lot of meditation retreats and was tired and trying to find a way to be less tired, and the advice of his wise teacher was to teach less. I think life asks a lot of us(and you in particular, with your DH and uni of late). Personally up until I was 40 or so I could work a full schedule and still do plenty more (classes, sports,social activities). Though, also, in my younger energetic days, I would need a lot of sleep after intensive work periods. Now, after 50, I'm no longer up for being 150% active all the time. I can still work full time and do a bit more, but not always massively more. I need and want to kick back sometimes. My sister used to make use of her lunch breaks. She'd have lunch while working, and use lunch break to go for a much-needed walk around the area she was working at.

Do you use your gym equipment when you get your evening surge?

I get so tired after work sometimes I need a short nap and then sometimes I'm full of energy later.

We're not even allowed to go out after 6pm at present. It's becoming a drag as the days are getting longer.
    Even during strict lockdown we could choose our time to go out.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    :)
  • Machka9
    I am trying to work out why I am so tired right after work ... and trying to figure out how to increase my energy.

Ideally, my husband and I would like to go cycling after work. I feel energetic all day, right up till I get onto the bus ... I look forward to cycling all day. But about 2 seconds after I get onto the hot stuffy bus, my energy absolutely disappears and by the time I get home all I feel like doing is napping.

I do drag myself out for a walk sometimes but feel like that's about all I can do.

The idea of changing into cycling gear and driving to a spot we can cycle is just too much.

A couple hours later I get a surge of energy again which can take me through to midnight. But by then, it's dark and we don't really want to go out.

I thought I would have more energy once uni finished.

I am sleeping a bit more now.

I don't have homework in the evenings.

But I still don't have energy.

M in Oz

Machka, I think a day of work is tiring.
    I'm thinking of a book read long ago by jack kornfield. He was teaching a lot of meditation retreats and was tired and trying to find a way to be less tired, and the advice of his wise teacher was to teach less. I think life asks a lot of us(and you in particular, with your DH and uni of late). Personally up until I was 40 or so I could work a full schedule and still do plenty more (classes, sports,social activities). Though, also, in my younger energetic days, I would need a lot of sleep after intensive work periods. Now, after 50, I'm no longer up for being 150% active all the time. I can still work full time and do a bit more, but not always massively more. I need and want to kick back sometimes. My sister used to make use of her lunch breaks. She'd have lunch while working, and use lunch break to go for a much-needed walk around the area she was working at.

Do you use your gym equipment when you get your evening surge?

I get so tired after work sometimes I need a short nap and then sometimes I'm full of energy later.

We're not even allowed to go out after 6pm at present. It's becoming a drag as the days are getting longer.
    Even during strict lockdown we could choose our time to go out.

I was energetic up till 2018 (51 years old). And then I got old. :/

Lunch: I run errands or walk and can cover up to 6 km in my hour. Today I probably only walked 1 km because I had the Dr appointment.

Gym: I use the equipment later in the evening only occasionally because it means going around outside in the dark to the basement area. But I have started doing about 15 minutes of weights upstairs.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    We’ve had snow on the ground for a few days. The snow is deep & wet. Staying warm and cozy inside has been enjoyable. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm glad I'm officially 'old', so I don't have to worry about how much energy I've got. My day ends around 5 pm when we have our 'aperitif' and watch Pointless together at 5.15. Then dinner, then TV. Marvellous. :D I've never done much in the evening. Maybe on holiday, or a cruise, but mostly we just stay in and watch TV. Apart from when I was in my 20s, I've always been like that. I suspect having children to look after has something to do with it.
    We used to go out once a week to French or Dancing, but not right now. My son and wife go to bed really early, around 9 pm, because the kids are up and running at 6.30. Rest is very important. My energy burst time is around 10 am, so I use that for my writing. If I don't do it then, it doesn't get done.
    Mind you I retired from work at 55 and before that I was only teaching part time. I have to save a lot of energy for my writing or I don't do it. I have to be very careful what I spend my energy on and I hoard it carefully for my writing. That is my absolute priority.
    I occasionally have a 30 minutes nap in the afternoon, but not too much or I don't sleep.
    I am super careful about what I commit to and don't take positions of responsibility. Nor do I make lists of things to do. I woukd find that very disheartening. I try to keep my life as simple as possible and hate it when it gets cluttered up.
    I am definitely a minimalist, in things, and in time. I like big gaps between commitments.
    The only time I do much more is on the cruises, but I am absolutely exhausted when I come home! :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    I don't like going out in the evenings very often. I will occasionally if there is something I am really interested in (like the bicycle film collection last Tuesday) but mostly I prefer coming home after work and staying home. Except for exercise, of course.

I leave home at about 8:30 am and get back home at 6 pm for 5 days a week. Today is Monday and even with 7.5 hours of sleep last night, I was dozing on the bus home this evening. :/

I am only 53. :) I'm still quite young (although I did start feeling old at 51 when my husband had the accident) and according to the Age Pension, I'm not eligible until I reach 67. I think that gets reviewed in 2023 and indications are that it will likely be pushed out to 70. So I've likely got another 17 years to go.

I need to have energy for a long time yet!!

M in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    A quick message to Machka (and any others who feel they can relate)- I am with you on the exhaustion at the end of the day! For me, I don't think it is so much of an age thing, or even a physical wellness issue when it comes to the fatigue. For me it is all mental. Stress. And this past year it has become so evident. I have to write everything down because my brain can't handle remembering the simplest things. Covid=trauma. Having to change the way we live, the places we go, tracking the virus, the news, the warring opinions regarding how things are being handled...it is mentally exhausting to me and makes me want to just shut down. I think you have had four years of intense pressure and stress. Between work, school, your DH's injury, then Covid stuff. It is just too much. Take the time to rest and recover. Your energy level will come back. I am hoping mine does, as well. <3 Sending you love and hugs.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited February 2021
    Beth love the picture.

Sounds like you have done all you can for your ice issues. It is a major problem here too. It is definitely worse the more snow we get. Let's hope for spring too. Last day in the deep of deep freeze. We will now get a slow warm up and be in 30's by next weekend. Who would think one would cheer the 30's mid February!

Then Drew and I can start getting in our walks again. We both need them.

We have a columnist in our paper whose column is called Everyday Cheapskate. This week column was timely for the discussion about energy. Her column focused on making sure you leave yourself a margin so you don't overspend. She talked about money or course, but she also talked about your energy too. If you are constantly at 100-120% you do not have the reserve for when something major hits. I will add something major will hit because that is life. Learning to say No and pacing oneself is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

The other thing I have learned about energy is if not spent wisely it does set me up for getting sick. I have learned that when I am in a difficult place in my life I need to go the extra mile to take care of myself or I risk getting sick. If I do not slow down my body will do it for me by getting sick.

There have been times when I have had to say No to fun things because I know I have been too busy. Those are the hardest NO's for me.

Now I need to apply more consistently to my eating habits.

When I taught full time I would clear my calendar at the beginning of the school year because I knew my energy was going to be tested to the limit at that time.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    A quick message to Machka (and any others who feel they can relate)- I am with you on the exhaustion at the end of the day! For me, I don't think it is so much of an age thing, or even a physical wellness issue when it comes to the fatigue. For me it is all mental. Stress. And this past year it has become so evident. I have to write everything down because my brain can't handle remembering the simplest things. Covid=trauma. Having to change the way we live, the places we go, tracking the virus, the news, the warring opinions regarding how things are being handled...it is mentally exhausting to me and makes me want to just shut down. I think you have had four years of intense pressure and stress. Between work, school, your DH's injury, then Covid stuff. It is just too much. Take the time to rest and recover. Your energy level will come back. I am hoping mine does, as well. <3 Sending you love and hugs.

I agree! I think it is stress or mostly stress.

I guess I had naively thought that when uni finished most of the stress would ease. The uni stress eased, but of course finishing uni didn't ease the carer stress or work stress. In fact, when I finished uni all of a sudden my workload increased because when I finished uni, our hardworking and diligent grad student also finished his "apprenticeship" program and got a job elsewhere ... and I have taken over a lot of what he has been doing over the past 2 years. And there is a list of additional things which need doing at home which I had shoved to the back burner while I was in uni. Fortunately not all of them have hard deadlines, but some do.

I am happy to report that I have finished the dressing room to the point I wanted before the house inspection. That house inspection is a hard deadline! The next two evenings will be a lot of tidying and cleaning and touching up in preparation for that ... but I am quite pleased with the dressing room now. There is a little bit more to do but it can wait till after the house inspection.

Thursday evening, the house inspection will be complete, and that might be a good evening to relax a bit. Take a breath.

I hope your energy level comes back too. Love and hugs to you too. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    In other news, I might try to track down a heating pad this week during one of my lunches.

They aren't common here but I think a medical supply store might have them.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited February 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, firedistrict: set up gmail account, setup FB page with meeting event,
    Bonus: time being present with Joe
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, finish streaming church, fire district: minutes, start taxes, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    14: Tell your loved ones why they are special to you: Joe’s love language of service and how he’s sweetened with age.

Note to self: take those vitamins WITH your meals. :sick: blearg. Nausea most Sunday, finally eased with meal. It took 2 ibuprofen to knock out the 3 day headache.

Penny meant grandson not nephew. Blame my oops on the headache.
    Machka since I live in house #2, I’d opt for the warmer weather house #1.
    Annie :heart:
    Lisa, Margaret, KJ, Teresa, Dee, Okie, Rita, Beth, Kylia, BRR! Hope y’all are safe and warm. Likewise all our TX gals (Cathy, Suebdew …)
    Tracey absolutely yes! The grant prep work done this year will support next year’s attempt. That’s why I was not disappointed but relieved when the board agreed to drop it this year. Understand it’s difficult to keep asking Rodger to clean the things you see but he doesn’t, but if he ever hopes to have you return to “full duty,” you need to obey the restrictions, reduce the stress and heal. Please don’t feel bad, it’s for his long term good too! Would he accept some kind of game, like “I Spy” to help him see what you see? I couldn’t imagine Joe ever dusting ANYTHING. He’d swish a toilet, sweep or vacuum a floor, just not to the edges, a compromise I have to swallow. Thanks for asking Dee about the four princes book, “The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom”, just put it on hold at our library ;).
    Carol, WOW, what a great return on your investment ;)
    Pip :love: that painting/photo of Yogi, so expressive!
    Beth Thanks! :love: the pup’s sleeping half off the bed, couldn’t open the second pic til the second post. Made me go “Oooohhh!” out loud. :love: :love: :love:
    Machka it is no wonder to me that you are tired. Tracey’s and KJs comments about long term stress, sleep deprivation and how long it takes to recoup from them are right on. After Papa passed away, Mama slept the whole summer. She’d cared for him in his wheelchair for 17 years and was completely worn out. As a band-aid, could you try eating a piece of fruit as you leave work? Might give you the energy to change into your cycling gear when you get home.
    Welcome back @DonnasWay0805 ! Would you remind us what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Kay so glad to see you post, was missing you! What kind of device (phone, tablet, laptop) do you use for mfp?
    Katla glad you’re staying warm and cozy, hope you’re feeling better.
    Heather like you I’m glad to be officially “old” also somewhat grateful to the pandemic for the excuse not to go out in the evenings. The only evening activities I used to attend were Line Dancing Tuesdays and Fridays, monthly fire district board meetings, Advent/Lenten Wednesday soup suppers. Now I'm trying to drop in to the fire hall Monday evenings from 5:30-6 to establish relationships and follow up on THINGS THAT MUST BE DONE (insert whip crack here) by someone other than me ;), My energy surges are all either very very early mornings or very very late nights. By 1 in the afternoon, I’m done, unless have a socially distanced buddy stroll scheduled. Joe is trying to teach me to adopt his “only one thing per day” rule but, nope ;)

Woke around 1:30, Joe got up too so we sat together and watched an old City Confidential as we sipped our morning beverages. He then breakfasted while I caught up here. He hinted that he might take the dogs to Chrissey Field when the day brightens, only intermittent showers are expected. This is much needed as the dogs, and we, are cabin fevered. I’m a little sleepy so will nap an hour or so, then spring up ready to go. I really REALLY need to get back to walking. Fingers X’d.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 14, weigh/wii: 14/14/38; steps>5627=2546 , vits=14, log=14, CI<CO=11, CI<250<CO=7, Tumble=9 Shadow=10 mfp=14 outside=5 up hill=5
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1 clean 60 mins=1.25 packwalk=1, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142  2/14: 141.5 141.5 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=5 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=8 play=11 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    In other news, I might try to track down a heating pad this week during one of my lunches.

M in Oz

I'm sitting here with a heating pad wrapped around my knees that I just got from Amazon last week. I bought it for Corey, but have used it myself every day since it arrived. My knees do not like cold weather at all.

Feeling old in Arkansas... Here's the comparison of yesterday and today:

65oitn35lj60.jpg

Lowest temperatures I've seen since I left Montana in 1980-something. Corey and I went to Anchorage, Alaska, a few years back in January and it wasn't this cold... grrf.

zasdx976t423.png
  • DonnasWay0805
    DonnasWay0805 Posts: 37 Member

M in Oz

I'm sitting here with a heating pad wrapped around my knees that I just got from Amazon last week. I bought it for Corey, but have used it myself every day since it arrived. My knees do not like cold weather at all.

Feeling old in Arkansas... Here's the comparison of yesterday and today:

65oitn35lj60.jpg

Lowest temperatures I've seen since I left Montana in 1980-something. Corey and I went to Anchorage, Alaska, a few years back in January and it wasn't this cold... grrf.

zasdx976t423.png

Gosh that's beautiful though. As I live in North Florida I cannot imagine that temp. We think anything below 50 is freezing😂🥶