WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, firedistrict: set up gmail account, setup FB page with meeting event,
    Bonus: time being present with Joe
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, finish streaming church, fire district: minutes, start taxes, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    14: Tell your loved ones why they are special to you: Joe’s love language of service and how he’s sweetened with age.

Note to self: take those vitamins WITH your meals. :sick: blearg. Nausea most Sunday, finally eased with meal. It took 2 ibuprofen to knock out the 3 day headache.

Penny meant grandson not nephew. Blame my oops on the headache.
    Machka since I live in house #2, I’d opt for the warmer weather house #1.
    Annie :heart:
    Lisa, Margaret, KJ, Teresa, Dee, Okie, Rita, Beth, Kylia, BRR! Hope y’all are safe and warm. Likewise all our TX gals (Cathy, Suebdew …)
    Tracey absolutely yes! The grant prep work done this year will support next year’s attempt. That’s why I was not disappointed but relieved when the board agreed to drop it this year. Understand it’s difficult to keep asking Rodger to clean the things you see but he doesn’t, but if he ever hopes to have you return to “full duty,” you need to obey the restrictions, reduce the stress and heal. Please don’t feel bad, it’s for his long term good too! Would he accept some kind of game, like “I Spy” to help him see what you see? I couldn’t imagine Joe ever dusting ANYTHING. He’d swish a toilet, sweep or vacuum a floor, just not to the edges, a compromise I have to swallow. Thanks for asking Dee about the four princes book, “The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom”, just put it on hold at our library ;).
    Carol, WOW, what a great return on your investment ;)
    Pip :love: that painting/photo of Yogi, so expressive!
    Beth Thanks! :love: the pup’s sleeping half off the bed, couldn’t open the second pic til the second post. Made me go “Oooohhh!” out loud. :love: :love: :love:
    Machka it is no wonder to me that you are tired. Tracey’s and KJs comments about long term stress, sleep deprivation and how long it takes to recoup from them are right on. After Papa passed away, Mama slept the whole summer. She’d cared for him in his wheelchair for 17 years and was completely worn out. As a band-aid, could you try eating a piece of fruit as you leave work? Might give you the energy to change into your cycling gear when you get home.
    Welcome back @DonnasWay0805 ! Would you remind us what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Kay so glad to see you post, was missing you! What kind of device (phone, tablet, laptop) do you use for mfp?
    Katla glad you’re staying warm and cozy, hope you’re feeling better.
    Heather like you I’m glad to be officially “old” also somewhat grateful to the pandemic for the excuse not to go out in the evenings. The only evening activities I used to attend were Line Dancing Tuesdays and Fridays, monthly fire district board meetings, Advent/Lenten Wednesday soup suppers. Now I'm trying to drop in to the fire hall Monday evenings from 5:30-6 to establish relationships and follow up on THINGS THAT MUST BE DONE (insert whip crack here) by someone other than me ;), My energy surges are all either very very early mornings or very very late nights. By 1 in the afternoon, I’m done, unless have a socially distanced buddy stroll scheduled. Joe is trying to teach me to adopt his “only one thing per day” rule but, nope ;)

Woke around 1:30, Joe got up too so we sat together and watched an old City Confidential as we sipped our morning beverages. He then breakfasted while I caught up here. He hinted that he might take the dogs to Chrissey Field when the day brightens, only intermittent showers are expected. This is much needed as the dogs, and we, are cabin fevered. I’m a little sleepy so will nap an hour or so, then spring up ready to go. I really REALLY need to get back to walking. Fingers X’d.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 14, weigh/wii: 14/14/38; steps>5627=2546 , vits=14, log=14, CI<CO=11, CI<250<CO=7, Tumble=9 Shadow=10 mfp=14 outside=5 up hill=5
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1 clean 60 mins=1.25 packwalk=1, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142  2/14: 141.5 141.5 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=5 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=8 play=11 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

It’s a pic of yogi. I used to have an app that would make the pic look like rhat4hs35wk0vyro.jpeg

Here is the real pic
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options

I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.

Feeling languid after Valentines Dinner last night.
    - Prosecco
    - seared scallops
    - duck a l’orange/roasted Mediterranean veg
    - hot chocolate pudding/honeycomb ice cream

Just managed to stay in the green.

All our snow has disappeared and spring has returned. I went walking in the sunshine without hat/gloves this morning.

☘️Terri
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Heather - I am more like you, I very rarely make plans for after work. I come home have supper and then watch tv most evenings. When I was walking regularly I did go for my walk in the evening.

I have never been one to over schedule myself. One thing that kept me from doing it was that this is the first job in my life that I have been able to walk out the door at the end of the day on time consistently. Most of my work was dependent on clients and staff that could mess up my end of day very fast so I ended up working late a lot. It was also my family time when the girls were young.

Kelly - I agree with you 100% stress is hurting everyone right now.

Machka - I never would have thought a heating pad wouldn’t be easily accessible anywhere.

Barbara - Rodger is doing whatever I ask, I need to ask more. Today it will be laundry. I need some clothes to wear to work.

Lisa - I’ve been sitting with a heating pad on my back for weeks now.
    If you can isolate from Corey you may not get it. We had staff that were able to not get or give it to their families by staying 6 feet away, not sharing a bathroom when possible, sanitizing if you can’t, and more than frequent hand washing. We were told the most contagious part is the 3-5 days before symptoms appear.

I have the day off it is Family Day here, a stat holiday. It is not very family like this year as we still aren’t able to see our family. No inside gatherings. The weather is still too cold for outside.
    I may get my diamond dot finished today.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    i have a hammock on the balcony of my city apartment! LOL

Julie : Your statement made me remember MY hammock! :smiley: DH got me a hammock a couple of years ago for Christmas! I LOVE it! I set it up in the early summer out in the backyard! I took this pic last summer - I was multi-tasking - listening to the birds, taking photos, trying to take a siesta, AND working on my tan!! Yikes! Look at those white legs! Ha! We store the hammock in the basement during the winter. HURRY UP SPRING!!
    4qrwlbwupfpd.jpg
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Tina - what part of California are you in? I have travelled in parts of the USA with my husband when he drove truck. I saw mostly highways and mostly the Eastern seaboard but had one memorable trip to California. I was so impressed with the scenery on that trip. We lived in NB at the time.

Tracey in Edmonton
    -27 with a feels like of -39. Tomorrow it is supposed to be -18 but they said that about today too.

Tracey -- I live in San Diego. Climate is generally pleasant. They just haven't been lately.

Tina in CA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Tracey ... I don't know what your options are in regards to physical therapy but it concerns me that you are continuing to have pain after physio. My husband had significant back problems that resulted in multiple surgeries but his experience with therapy was mixed. Went to one therapist who left this big hulking man near tears every time he saw him and then pain for several days after. Went to a different therapist who was appalled at his treatment plan, showed him why the other therapist's plan was not appropriate and helped him gain some relief with different exercises. Just a thought.

Lisa ... praying both you and Cory do not contract Covid but that if you do it's as mild as can be!

Evening Fatigue ... I agree with Kelly. Mental stress plays a large part in evening fatigue. I never plan much in the evening, mainly because I'm a morning person. But given my commitment and stress level, I can be ready for bed shortly after dinner.

Beth near Buffalo
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm officially 'old', so I don't have to worry about how much energy I've got. My day ends around 5 pm when we have our 'aperitif' and watch Pointless together at 5.15. Then dinner, then TV. Marvellous. :D I've never done much in the evening. Maybe on holiday, or a cruise, but mostly we just stay in and watch TV. Apart from when I was in my 20s, I've always been like that. I suspect having children to look after has something to do with it.
    We used to go out once a week to French or Dancing, but not right now. My son and wife go to bed really early, around 9 pm, because the kids are up and running at 6.30. Rest is very important. My energy burst time is around 10 am, so I use that for my writing. If I don't do it then, it doesn't get done.
    Mind you I retired from work at 55 and before that I was only teaching part time. I have to save a lot of energy for my writing or I don't do it. I have to be very careful what I spend my energy on and I hoard it carefully for my writing. That is my absolute priority.
    I occasionally have a 30 minutes nap in the afternoon, but not too much or I don't sleep.
    I am super careful about what I commit to and don't take positions of responsibility. Nor do I make lists of things to do. I woukd find that very disheartening. I try to keep my life as simple as possible and hate it when it gets cluttered up.
    I am definitely a minimalist, in things, and in time. I like big gaps between commitments.
    The only time I do much more is on the cruises, but I am absolutely exhausted when I come home! :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I am sort of like this too. When I was in my 20s and 30s, I thought I needed to be busy all the time and I was. Now, I find it annoying if I have two appointments in a single day or if I need to be somewhere two days in a row. I think that is more my introverted self being anxious, but if I have a choice, I will schedule days between events.

I have only been able to take a nap on a few occasions in life. For one work project, I'd work all day, then hop in the car on Friday and drive 3+ hours home. Sometimes, I had to pull over and take a power nap before I felt awake enough to drive safely. Other than that, the only time I've been able to successfully nap was when we vacationed in Hawaii. We'd wake up around 4 am (due to the timezone change), go do a dive or two, come back and nap. There wasn't a lot else to do, which is why I think I could actually sleep.

Tina in CA
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.

Feeling languid after Valentines Dinner last night.
    - Prosecco
    - seared scallops
    - duck a l’orange/roasted Mediterranean veg
    - hot chocolate pudding/honeycomb ice cream

Just managed to stay in the green.

All our snow has disappeared and spring has returned. I went walking in the sunshine without hat/gloves this morning.

☘️Terri

Terri : I'm so jealous!! I think they were wrong about Punxsutawney Phil's prediction for winter around here.... it feels like it's going to last forever! :# And your Valentines Dinner sounds amazing! :p
  • srkbalta
    srkbalta Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In northern Alberta, Canada we are still 20 below zero. So looking forward to spring.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Beth - thank you for the advice. I am doing some better today. My hip is not in pain anymore, it is just my lower back. I don’t know how to spell it but my sacaralic joint is about 3 inches from my hip joint which should be about 1 inch. My pelvis is out of neutral position and we need to get the pain and inflammation under control before a lot can be fixed. It is better today after not doing anything yesterday that she told me not to do.

I am prefacing this with my husband has the greatest respect for women and just has a funny sense of humour.

I have done all the housework since we were married, very rarely has Rodger been expected to do anything. I did this, it’s not that he is incapable or unwilling but I thought that’s how it should be as that’s how I was raised. Mom did the inside Dad did the outside. My Grandparents, Aunts, etc were all the same except one Aunt and Uncle we visited only once a year or so. He did the dishes every night with his children while she had a cup of tea.

Anyway, I said to Rodger this morning that the dishwasher needed to be ran through. I did not specify that it needed to be unloaded and loaded too. (You would think the sink full of dishes would have been his first clue on that but I digress) After we had breakfast he went to unload and load the dishwasher, he started and all of a sudden out of the kitchen I hear him say “oh *kitten* I forgot to put my skirt on before doing this”. I just laughed, He is only joking and I think he’s realizing how much I do.

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    Tracey: I sure hope that your physio gets that pain under control. I remember how wearisome it was before I had my hip op done in 2015. It was such a relief to be able to move pain free after the years I suffered.
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Barbara: I hope you enjoy the book:) It is definitely a middle grade (3,4,5) book full of the type of sarcasm that group enjoys. I like the fact the princesses are spunky and not "princessy" I also like the friendship that builds between the 4 different Charmings. It is cute.

I finished another adult book this morning. THE NIGHT OLIVIA FELL This one was a murder mystery type. It was pretty good. There were so many characters with motive. A great back story between a mother and her teenage daughter as well. I really raced through it trying to see if I had guessed correctly about the killer. Good read for those of us who are going to get clobbered in snow this week.

dee
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    I agree with KJ. Also, once I started working at a desk all day my energy just vanished. Can you get an adjustable desk at work where you can put it so you can stand? Adjustable so you can alternate between sitting and standing. That will help with the back/hip issues. I developed bursitis from sitting at work too much. Moving made it go away along with my back issues. I was a safety manager for a while and did research on sitting too much. Several people where I work had the adjustable desks and loved them!

RvRita

Machka9 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    A quick message to Machka (and any others who feel they can relate)- I am with you on the exhaustion at the end of the day! For me, I don't think it is so much of an age thing, or even a physical wellness issue when it comes to the fatigue. For me it is all mental. Stress. And this past year it has become so evident. I have to write everything down because my brain can't handle remembering the simplest things. Covid=trauma. Having to change the way we live, the places we go, tracking the virus, the news, the warring opinions regarding how things are being handled...it is mentally exhausting to me and makes me want to just shut down. I think you have had four years of intense pressure and stress. Between work, school, your DH's injury, then Covid stuff. It is just too much. Take the time to rest and recover. Your energy level will come back. I am hoping mine does, as well. <3 Sending you love and hugs.

I agree! I think it is stress or mostly stress.

I guess I had naively thought that when uni finished most of the stress would ease. The uni stress eased, but of course finishing uni didn't ease the carer stress or work stress. In fact, when I finished uni all of a sudden my workload increased because when I finished uni, our hardworking and diligent grad student also finished his "apprenticeship" program and got a job elsewhere ... and I have taken over a lot of what he has been doing over the past 2 years. And there is a list of additional things which need doing at home which I had shoved to the back burner while I was in uni. Fortunately not all of them have hard deadlines, but some do.

I am happy to report that I have finished the dressing room to the point I wanted before the house inspection. That house inspection is a hard deadline! The next two evenings will be a lot of tidying and cleaning and touching up in preparation for that ... but I am quite pleased with the dressing room now. There is a little bit more to do but it can wait till after the house inspection.

Thursday evening, the house inspection will be complete, and that might be a good evening to relax a bit. Take a breath.

I hope your energy level comes back too. Love and hugs to you too. :)

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I think we’re very close to the same age. I don’t consider myself officially old, but I bet the rest of my family thinks so. :grumble:

Margaret: I absolutely agree with your comment, “Learning to say no and pacing oneself is one of the best things you can do for yourself.” :heart:

Barbara: I am feeling better. Thanks for your good wishes. Conditions outside are not the best, a dramatic understatement. There seems to be an ice layer hidden underneath snow. We’re going to stay home for now. Cabin fever may be the next pandemic. I have a long wish list of places to go and things to do for fun but surviving without wrecking our car is a better choice. :ohwell:

Lisa: Your view is lovely. Isn’t it great that you don’t have to go anywhere today? Stay warm and healthy. Sending goodl wishes that Corey stays healthy, too. You may both decide to wear face masks for a while if he’s been in dicey situations at work health wise. :bigsmile:

Tracey: It is great that your DH has such a good sense of humor. I hope that you are feeling better day by day. :bigsmile:

Power was out this morning, but it is on now. We’ve finally gotten the network up, thanks to DH. YAY!!! Our region is experiencing an ice storm. Lucky for us, we don’t have to go anywhere today and are cozy and warm at home. Our freezers are full, and we don’t have to shop for food today.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Sorry for posting so many pics. I couldn't choose!😋
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    We have relief from the super cold weather. Today it has been a muggy 9°C. :o That’s 48°F :o Such an amazing change. We didn't have the heating on overnight. It's very unusual for us to keep heating on, but last week we really needed to.
    Feels amazing! :D Our internal doors are open and the curtains are drawn back. Light!

I am one of the rare strange people who have enjoyed the pandemic, I haven't lost anyone to the virus, nor known anyone who had it severely. Like Barbara, I have really enjoyed the lack of social obligations. The main thing is, I have nearly finished my memoir first draft. That makes me very happy indeed. :D I used to suffer horribly from FOMO, but that has disappeared because no one else is doing anything. I know I still have a lot of work to do editing my writing, amd getting it out there, but the bulk is done. It is hugely relieving. I don't know anyone else in my situation. I have missed the grandchildren, but now we are back in IRL touch and very happy. :D
    I sometimes wonder if there is anyone else out there who has found this time rewarding. (I know I have been very, very, very lucky)

Lisa - hoping everything goes well, for you. <3 Thinking of you, my dear heart.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Heather ... this time has suited me fine as I'm mostly an introvert. Social when I have to be, but prefer to just be alone with immediate family. My younger son, however, has suffered in several ways. Loss of work (his industry is failing), purpose and complete inability to meet new people. He struggled as it was ... being a lot like me ... this has really been unfortunate for him.

Beth
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Good morning from -23 Grand Island Nebraska. It has not been this cold in years and it is not to warm up until maybe end of week and then not much above zero. Yesterday we went to church did what little shopping we needed for lunch for work this week and was home. Today I am working.

Beth--What huge icles. They look like they could really do some damage if they fell. I don't think I have ever seem any that big.

Tracey--Interesting about the sink and whiskey. I know what you mean about being tired of pain. I have been having so much pain in my hip and my leg just hurt all the time. I have an appointment after work with the chiropractor and that helps, but have to figure out how to make it last more than just a day or two.

Penny--Sending hugs and prayers for your grandson.

Annie--So glad to hear the romance continues and flowers are alway nice. My DH gave me purple flowers for Valentines and I just love them. He knows me well.

My vote is for #2, but with a pool instead of gym.

Teresa in OH--Sorry to hear about your sister. I can understand when my son was 2 I did not go out my front door for 2 years. I just cleaned all day long and baked. Our neighbor had a son several months younger than my son and she would come get him to play outside with her son. It was a terrible time for me and a very unhappy marriage. I started drinking and that is what got me out of the house. Not the best way. Hope your sister finds help soon and learns to come out into to world.

Carol--your granddaughter is very good at painting. You have every right to be proud.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    We have freezing rain on top of snow. DD stayed home from work today, her car was completely incased in ice this morning. It is beginning to melt but has a way to go. Hopefully by tomorrow the temps will be up and things will clear off. Wednesday is my day to go to Everett for my cardiac cath. DS is going to take me over and remain available. They will not let him stay at the hospital unless he wants to sit in the car in the parking garage so he is going to come back to my house. I will be in hospital most of the day and maybe overnight if they place a stent.

Tina in CA - My son accepted a position in San Diego. He started working remotely the last week in January and will be moving in March. He and his wife are looking for a place in the La Jolla area. He works in pharmaceutical research.

Heather - I have been okay during lockdown as I am in truth an introvert, but I really miss my exercise classes at the Y and singing in choir at church. Virtual choir is just not the same. On the other hand I definitely do not like being overscheduled. My energy level is usually highest in the morning and about 2 pm I tend to crash. By 5 pm I just want to finish up the day and go to bed. That means dinner, evening chores, a little TV and bed. I have gotten to a point where I definitely prefer afternoon activities such as symphony over evening performances. Wishing for those things again too.

Lisa - Lovely snow, looks kind of like our place where we rarely have snow. Hope you and Corey have light cases if you indeed have Covid. Take care.

Kate - Love the gloves especially the colors.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA