JUST FOR TODAY -- Daily Commitment Thread for 2021

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,185 Member
    Hi all!

2020 threw me for a loop – a long one – undoing much of the progress I’d made the previous year. No excuses or self-recrimination – it is what it is. I’m still struggling for motivation, but I’m hoping that getting back to basics will be enough for now.

Many of us have struggled in 2020 -- you are certainly not alone. This group is wonderful... and like @Bex said yesterday ... sometimes the motivation comes from actually doing the actions. Actions on our part to improve our life. And you did just that ... coming back! Losing weight, and keeping it off, is not easy. Its a lifetime of old habits that are very hard to break. Thats why it has to be just one day at a time. We are so happy to see you back.
  • Thanis90
    Thanis90 Posts: 63 Member
    @Bex953172 Hey! Yeah, thanks! ❤️ I'm from Glasgow. What about you? I watch Emmerdale and Coronation Street. And I love Doctors but never get time to watch it lol you? XX

@sarah74_vt Thank you!! ❤️

I'll check in a bit later, so far not too bad a day, I think, but haven't logged everything yet 🙈

Hope you all are smashing it! 😁
  • mytime6630
    Oh my goodness! I'm 125 posts behind! I've been home sick with a sore throat, headache and a low grade fever for over a week now. Strep test was negative, so that was good. Covid test they took has been delayed/lost I just found out due to bad weather in the south. Apparently, that is where they send the tests to be resulted. So, I've been waiting since last Thursday only to find out I have to get a new one done. I was very irritated, but hey...if that is the worst thing that happens, then life is good, right?

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone...

Good to see you back, but so sorry you are feeling crappy. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon! We all missed you!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,057 Member
    Thanis90 wrote: »
    @Bex953172 Hey! Yeah, thanks! ❤️ I'm from Glasgow. What about you? I watch Emmerdale and Coronation Street. And I love Doctors but never get time to watch it lol you? XX

@sarah74_vt Thank you!! ❤️

I'll check in a bit later, so far not too bad a day, I think, but haven't logged everything yet 🙈

Hope you all are smashing it! 😁

Manchester :)
    I watch Emmerdale and Corrie and Hollyoaks, I'm up to date with corrie and waaaaaay behind on the others. Like Christmas day way behind haha
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2021
    Today is absolutely gorgeous! In the 60's with abundant sunshine! I spent some time this morning sitting in my chair outside enjoying a cup of coffee. And as soon as I post this I'm going to go sit outside again with my laptop and work!

I got a new planner! It's a daily one. Similar to the one I had in 2017. I absolutely adore it! I can't seem to get the picture file to upload...Blah. Oh well. It says "Be happy. It drives people crazy" on the front. Lol.

Just a few goals today.

- up by 10 ✅
    - walmart✅
    - JFT✅
    - QT with Matt✅
    - garbage/reycling can
    - edit chapter 8
    - fold clothes/listen to audiobook
    - sweep/mop bathroom
    - bath/self care
    - bed by 8:30
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    The temperature dropped and the wind picked up so I only got about 10 minutes of work done outside but it was still nice and sunny out. I walked to the end of the driveway and grabbed the garbage can too. So I got a few steps in doing that.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,057 Member
    I didn't post any goals today, had a busy morning cleaning the pots, getting Casey to nursery then picking up the meds I was supposed to get yesyerday, meeting with the rat exterminator (good news, no rats in our garden or the others it seems) then I went and did a food shop!
    So I haven't done my water challenge today, oopsie!

But Ive been that busy today it was almost manic, just constant go go go.
    So I'm tired now, looking forward to a chilled day tomorrow
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    Slinking back in to try again. I went from 100% effort to zero very quickly and I don't even know why.
    I did a short walk in the dark last night and did a bit of thinking. I realised I feel "less than" and " not good enough" purely because I'm overweight and because of my fitness level. It's disheartening to be making the effort to walk and being overtaken by other fitter people.

And before you all jump on me I do not think of others in this way, it's just me. Most of my friends are overweight and I appreciate them as they are, I would never think badly of them. Why do we think so much worse about ourselves?

The last few years I've spent more and more time with my mother as she's needed more help. She's small and getting smaller. I feel like a hulking clumsy I-don't-know-what beside her! She likes me to buy her cakes and biscuits which I'm happy to do but I find it very tempting to buy some for me too. In the past I ignored those aisles in the shop.

So, I've had enough of feeling not good enough, even though I know it's all in my head. I need to be slim enough to feel "normal". Unnoticeable really.

So JFT I will do some admin, organize mother's shopping, and go for a walk.

With all of the pain I’ve been in for two months I can fully understand why you are disheartened, you have back issues and I don’t know how anyone can suffer that way for years. Mine will be 3 months in March 1st and I am so unfit and unmotivated. So I understand how you feel. I read a quote once that has always stuck with me.
    “Just remember, you’re still lapping the guy on the couch”. I think of that often lately. I was winded after doing 5 sidesteps at physio the other day, but I had done more than I could the day before so I was beating myself.

• Snowflake1968
    mytime6630 wrote: »

Hubby went to the doctor ... so hopefully bloodwork comes back OK.

I am determined to get to my goal weight by this summer. I would like to really turn this thread into a even more motivational tool to help us all achieve our goals. It is hard to lose weight. It is hard to keep it off. So I am going to try and post messages that I gather from podcasts, or reading to help us all.

One thing I am also doing is for myself .. a nitetime personal challenge. I know if I can get over the nitetime snacking I will lose weight. That was how I was successful last year. But those old habits can come back so easy. ... well.. if I did it once, I can do it again.

I need to get down to where I had lost before by summer if for no other reason than I can’t afford a new wardrobe. As I was losing the weight in 2018-2019 I was donating or discarding of the clothes as they got too big and I would replace that with a new outfit. So I literally have nothing that fits me right now, except 3 pairs of leggings.

I love that you want this to be motivational and we can share positive quotes or whatever. Every night before I went to bed when I was losing weight, I would write in my gratitude journal and post a positive or grateful quote on my FB wall. I need to get back to that again too.

Maybe instead of thinking of our bad habits we should start thinking of what our good habits were doing for us and if we’ve dropped them look at bringing them back.

• Snowflake1968
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Hey, my phone was dead for half the morning yesterday and then the community was down for a little while for me. On the app and website. So I missed that @mytime6630 had started the water challenge already!
    Im in for starting before March, why the heck not :) I always find if I get 4 waters in by lunch time. Then the rest are easy! I need to remember this, I used to start drinking my water at 10am and always got it in.

it's sunny here today, I love it when it's cold but sunny so you get a hint or warmth. We're getting that fresh spring air over here now.
    I'm pretty tired today but nothing a coffee won't sort!
    I went crazy on the night time snacks.
    I should really weigh myself again and see what the damage is but I know I've deffo put on weight, I just don't want to know how much lol! I have weighed myself faithfully every single day and have watched it all come back and still couldn’t stop myself from doing things I knew I shouldn’t and not doing the things I knew I should. I don’t think anyone should beat themselves up after the last year. It’s been terrible.

• Snowflake1968
    Bex953172 wrote: »

I've found that my actions give me my motivation rather than motivation getting me into action.

So by logging my food even though I'm not making healthy choices it's making me WANT to eat healthier because I want to achieve my calorie goal.

@Bex -- this I think is SO true!! When I wait and keep trying to get motivated, all I have to do is "DO something" positive .. like a day of eating really healthy, excercising, and somehow I think you hit it right on.. The motivation comes from the actions we take, not the other way around!

You are doing awesome!!

100% Accurate, that’s why I’m concentrating on being honest and logging each day. Even yesterday when I didn’t post here I still logged all my food.

@mytime6630 - I log in the evenings about 8pm it helps me with the snacks knowing what I’ve eaten for calories for the day. I might still snack but I at least have to make a conscious decision on what I have if I choose to.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    JFT Thursday
    1. 1 set of lifts. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Post class plan right away on screen AND on site.
    2. Pit Crew: Thankful Thursday. Grade essays. Email students about late work.
    3. Classes: NRI practice. NRI Quiz. Video - Dads. Read intro & study guide. NRI 3.
    4. Planning: FANFIC? Lunges. 20 pages P&P. Review video 1 to create transcript. Call dentist to check on meds; set up appointments. GRADE RESEARCH ESSAYS.
    5. Lunch: Pasta.
    6. Afternoon: Philosophy of ed. Pick up meds. Walk at sculpture park?
    7. Evening: S&F 4. Dinner: Soup. Breathe. Set 2 of lifts. LIVESTREAM 6 PM.
    8. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water! Chop celery and pack lunch. Set out clothes for tomorrow. Set up JFT for tomorrow.
    9. Shower. Review papers by desk. File or trash.
    10. Gratitude journal. Therapy exercises: crunches, push-ups, squats, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Wed book group. MH Monday check-in; Tough Question Tuesday; Whatever Wednesday AMA; Thankful Thursday. Indochino suit fitting - Atlanta or Nashville?

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    End of 2020: 187.4
    Today: 191.4

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for On Writing (Stephen King), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie), Hood Feminism (Mikki Kendall).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Write 1 reflection weekly; type one in Classroom by Weds. Copy-paste to discussion board for comments due Friday. Homework: Online journal Mon due Tue; Reflection Tue due Wed; C&P journal in class Wed; Comments Thu due Fri. Bonus if you are the first response; further bonus if you respond to comments on your post. Grammar practice Mon & Wed; quiz Fri. Unit plan for research (Idea for regular: comparing same story on sites with different biases).
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week - Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist call to schedule cleaning – March? ObG schedule for April. Schedule PCP for May.
    7. Theater: Little Princess.
    8. House: Siding. Or perhaps bathroom floor.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away. Edney Hack Nights alt Weds. ASL? Spanish/Portuguese practice? Practice piano. ROL Secret Adversary. Buy bike rack for car.
    10. Volunteering ideas: Theater. Library. Animal shelter. Community Kitchen. Emerge Georgia training.
    11. Family: Book group. Dinners?
    12. Writing: Blog post: Running, Racism and Rum: Learning to Handle Discomfort. Fanfic: Create a scene list for the Batgirl story. Finish the cafe scene for the Titans story. Open Wordpress in Safari.
    13. Lifting: 15 squats, 15 deadlifts, 10 shoulder presses, 15 arm raises, 15 pushups, 30 crunches, 15 side lifts, 15 back kicks, horse stance for 5 breaths.
    14. Other: Practice hair braiding with D. Check on appts for drs. Remind D to ask his dad about the table and check with home repair contractors. 3 posts/week? Create test for MLA format. Create test for infographics and visual information. Remember that M does not like surprises! Check dates of classes and update semester plan. She Should Run vision statement. Update standards on board. When to change bulletin board?

WFTY: Persistence. Soooo much grading. Had a lovely walk this afternoon!
    Reminder: Last year's WFTY was progress, and I am ... actually, I was going to say content, but it's more than that. I'm proud of myself, and I'm pleased with the progress that I made. Even without the challenges throughout the year, I accomplished things that I should be proud of; and given those challenges, I'm even happier about what I was able to do.
  • Snowflake1968
    I’m finally caught up again.
    @PackerFanInGB - I hope you feel better soon. Terrible they lost your test.

@WellingTX - you are so inspiring to me.

I know there was more but I’m on my phone.
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Day went by very quickly, it wasn't necessarily busy but I packed a lot in. All of my measurements keep showing how out of shape I am-I know thank you! Trying to remember to focus on the fact that I am showing up and that counts too. Went for a walk on my path and there were still a few ice patches. I am terrified of ice and move like an awkward sloth-better safe than sorry. Hoping it all melts soon.

JFT Wednesday:
    Red Cup Challenge! 80 oz water ✅
    stay in the green ✅
    meet all serving recommendations for 5 food groups ✅
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    screens off 8:30 ✅
    track food, exercise, water and post on JFT ✅

JFT Thursday:
    80 oz water
    stay in the green
    meet all serving recommendations for 5 food groups
    30 minutes exercise
    screens off 8:30
    track food, exercise, water and post on JFT

@beachwalker99 I just rejoined too! Welcome back! so nice to see so many familiar people :)
    @ZizzyBumble That scenery just looks divine!
    @HEGoddard0928 I love a new planner! Great slogan :)
    @Snowflake1968 I really appreciated your reflections today. I am in the same boat. Did well a few years ago and then life happened. I am with you, finding ways to bring back those good habits. Glad we’re in this together.
  • mytime6630
    edited February 2021

JFT, Wed, Feb 24
    1. log all food :)
    2. concentrate on water .. 8+ glasses water RED CUP CHALLENGE FOR THE REST OF FEBRUARY AND MARCH 10 cups of water today! :)
    3. only 1 diet coke :) Ha .. this was easy today. I had drank maybe 3/4 of my soda... and hubby tells me I had way too much caffeine! He was right though.. I could feel it. Problem was I drank most of the soda before eating or drinking anything in the day. I had trouble sleeping again .. so first thing after my shower I drank the soda. So .. I really have to work at keeping this at 1, or better yet .. stop completely
    4. mindful eating :)
    5. 5 fruits and veggies :)
    6. remember my why .... to look better in my clothes, to have more confidence .. to wear nice clothes WHEN covid restrictions are lifted and we go see our son, to have more energy. :)
    7. go for a walk :)
    8. Personal Challenge: 5 minute rule for nitetime snacking .. when I have the urge to grab a snack, set a timer, WAIT 5 MINUTES. Distract myself, but I have to wait 5 minutes before eating anything. :) Tonite I was very hungry, but I ate a apple and a cheesestick .. and drank a lot of water. Kept busy with quilting, so did Ok tonite!
    9. Listen to NOBS podcast :/:/ Just not enough time today

I love the idea of writing all the positives we did for the day.. instead of focusing on what we did wrong, focus on what we did right.

I wrote down what I was going to eat ... and pretty much stuck to my plan. The only thing that changed was instead of cottage cheese, I made myself a protein shake.. so it was equal in calories.
    Today was a busy day .. so that also helped me. Our daughter is going to try and see if her boss can get us the vacine shots!! I am so hoping. .. it is so crazy trying to find a shot. I have registered hubby and I with 4 hospitals, the county we live in, and the state. You can't just call and make a appointment .. they are suppose to email you, and then you can make a appointment. But .. they have over 330,000 people signed up, and only get less than 2000 shots a day! Then... people are lying to get in line first. Its like winning the lottery.. just ridicious! So when our daughter told her that her boss might be giving out vacines ... we are so excited, and hope it happens!

JFT, THurs
    1. log all food
    1. log all food
    2. concentrate on water .. 8+ glasses water RED CUP CHALLENGE FOR THE REST OF FEBRUARY AND MARCH
    3. only 1 diet coke
    4. mindful eating
    5. 5 fruits and veggies
    6. remember my why .... to look better in my clothes, to have more confidence .. to wear nice clothes WHEN covid restrictions are lifted and we go see our son, to have more energy.
    7. go for a walk in the morning, since the afternoon is going to be very busy.
    8. Personal Challenge: 5 minute rule for nitetime snacking .. when I have the urge to grab a snack, set a timer, WAIT 5 MINUTES. Distract myself, but I have to wait 5 minutes before eating anything.

• mytime6630

Maybe instead of thinking of our bad habits we should start thinking of what our good habits were doing for us and if we’ve dropped them look at bringing them back.

Wonderful idea!! I know when I lost weight last year .. nighttime snacking was what I had changed. I was still hungry in the evenings.. but realized it was not really hungry. It was either thirst, boredom, stress, etc etc etc. Last year, when I had the cravings, I went out for a walk. Or even laid down and took a short nap. Of called a friend .. or got on here .. or social media. I did things to distract me. And it really only took a month or so, and I didn't think about eating in the evenings. So this is what I need to concentrate on more.

and.. the water!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,023 Member
    edited February 2021
    🌱🌷💝💘☯️💘💝🌷🌱
    🌱🌷💝FEBRUARY💝🌷🌱
    🌱🌷💝💘☯️💘💝🌷🌱

🔹Word - Balance
    🔹I am in tune with my dreams
    🔹I know what is right for me
    🔹I will pursue my dreams and greatest passion
    Life Affirmations

🔹I live in congruence with my authentic self
    🔹I am mindful
    🔹I am creative every day
    🔹I foster positivity
    🔹I am compassionate
    Keep your chin up!
    Turning up is the ultimate success!
    • Name: Terri
    • Height: 5'2"
    • SW: 227 (Mar 2014)
    • Joined MFP: Jan 2015
    • 1st Goal: 190 Sept 2015
    • UGW: (145 ⏬ 140
    • 01 Aug 2019: 170.1
    • 31 Dec 2019: 151.2
    • 31 Dec 2020: 145.6
    • 1 Jan: 147.2
    • 8 Jan: 144.2 (lowest in many years)
    • 15 Jan: 145.2
    • 22 Jan: 144.9⏬
    • 25 Jan: 143.8⏬ My lowest weight in over 40 years. 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻 I have reset my UGW.
    [*] 14 Feb: 144.0
    [*] Total weight loss: 83 ⏫

February Daily Goals: Week 4:
    Mon: ✅ Tue: ✅ Wed: ✅ Thu: Fri: Sat: Sun:
    1. Weight < 150: ✅ 3/7
    2. Reduce Fat%: ✅ 29.3; 27.1; 25.1; 24.5; 24.2 23.4 [/s] 23.1
    3. Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7->30.1; 30.6; 30.7: 30.9: 31.3 ⏫
    4. Calories in the green ✅ 3/7
    5. Steps > 7500 ✅ 3/7
    6. Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily✅ 3/7
    7. Active hours > 6 daily ✅ 3/7

Positive intentions for Wed 24 Feb:
    • Meditation 🎉
    • Daily Yoga🎉/tai chi practice
    • Laundry - put away 🎉
    • Weekly grocery shopping 🎉
    • declutter Fridge 🎉
    • Daily Chores 🎉
    • Puzzles: 🎉 Watch TV: 🎉
    • ZOOM meeting to discuss: 'A walk in the Hindu Kush' 🎉
    • Keep up to date with email 🎉
    Positive intentions for Thurs 25 Feb:
    • Meditation 🎉
    • Daily Yoga🎉/tai chi practice
    • Laundry - put away 🎉
    • Declutter sewing area 🎉P
    • Write for 30 minutes
    • Daily Chores
    • Puzzles: Watch TV:
    • Take DH to collect his car from the repair shop (exhaust repairs, his annual MOT is tomorrow)
    • Keep up to date with email 🎉

My weight hadn't changed much since lockdown, but I have noticed that my clothes are becoming a little too neat, so I have stepped up my strength training for the last week to address the issue. The problem with that is that my weight is edging back up towards 150 again. Not a major problem, just need to work on being more strict with portions, and cutting out some of the more indulgent snacks until it equalises again. Cause and effect! 😂

Terri 🦄

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,023 Member
    edited February 2021
    sarah74_vt wrote: »
    JFY 2/19/21

Today I turn 47 and am just shooting for a day where I don't go crazy with calories...LOL! My hubby is making me a strawberry/blueberry cobbler (WW recipe) in leu of a birthday cake, so that'll help. <3

Hope everyone has a good day!

I hope you had a wonderful birthday.

@jeschepp - Welcome back. It's good to hear about all your positive achievements for the year.

@MLHC1 - Sometimes we just need to kick back and have fun. You turned your day around in style.

@Bex953172 - It's good to see you're feeling more positive.

@mytime6630 - The mindless eating in the evening is hard to break. 😍 the Red Cup Challenge

@Snowflake1968 - I like your idea about the challenges about the challenges we used to do. They certainly helped me in 2018-2019. We could try a Mindful March Challenge. We could chose our own aspect to focus on, and choose an appropriate symbol for each day we achieve our goal.

Trying to get caught up with the posts I have missed the last few days.
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 938 Member
    edited February 2021
    @mytime6630 I really hope you get the vaccine soon. It seems to be a bit of a lottery in the UK as well. I keep hearing of people getting it who should be after me, but we just have to wait until we are called. I don't ignore the phone any more!

JFT Wednesday 24th Feb

Eat sensibly, only one snack 2 snacks, but didn't eat an evening meal
    Osteopath appointment yes
    Do some admin no

A very lazy day yesterday, didn't do much after my appointment. It always seems to give me a headache. I'm grateful to have found an osteopath I like and trust. I'm also grateful that the flood waters had receded enough from the roads that I could make the appointment.

JFT Thursday

Eat sensibly
    No snacking
    A few gentle exercises
    Walk

I took some full length photos of myself, might not sound a big deal but I never take selfies and am very rarely photographed. I can see a difference (good!) from the last picture I have from late 2019. It's encouraging me to make more improvement. I have a pair of jeans in the next size down I can now wear (unlike Snowflake I keep most of my clothes and I will be able to "shop my cupboard" as I lose weight lol). I also learned from the photos that the jeans which are now a bit baggy are NOT a good look and I should stop wearing them, they actually make me look worse.

Word for 2021 Strength

Lose 21lbs in 2021