Ways We Sabotage Our Success

Replies

• ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Great thread! My thoughts...

1. Seeing a goal weight as THE all-encompassing goal. When I was focused on that, I was eating too little (impatient) and feeling like a failure when it didn't all happen at once, or if my weight didn't fall in a week.
    2. Not listening to my body re food. Eating should feel good, not bad! When I eat right then it tastes lovely, my body feels better and I look forwards to my meals. If at any point that stops, I'm not eating right and need to sort it out.
    3. Not listening to my body re exercise. Exercise should also feel good! If I'm suffering days of crippling DOMS, making excuses to avoid exercising, or finding it painful, maybe it's not as beneficial as it should be and I need to find an alternative.
    4. Forgetting to appreciate how much better life is now. Since I dropped the idea of a goal weight, it's all been about my body becoming a nicer place to live in. There are always going to be things I'm working for - maybe a new yoga pose, running faster or even hitting the next kg down on the scale. However I don't think I'm ever going to arrive at the point where I say "I'm done". So I need to enjoy NOW and keep living the life that makes tomorrow even better.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    gionrogado wrote: »
    stopped counting calories and weighing the week i reached my goal weight. did not stop lifting, but ate anything and everything like before. started to notice my pants tightening again. i weighed myself after a month, was already 5kg heavier, and looked a little softer. went back to calorie counting, now back at my goal weight

I just got to goal and that's why I started blogging because I have failed so many times and came close and did just like you stopped and started over. This time I am facing all these behaviors head on. Thanks for sharing we are all in it together. Have a great week. congrats on getting back to goal.
  • mpkpbk2015
    TendaiMa wrote: »
    Awesome thread, thanks for sharing...great insights and I just needed to be reminded. We all know our "personal sabotage" tactics and we just need to remind ourselves about why we started the journey!

Thanks Tendaima I think we all need to be reminded and I need to keep it in front of myself constantly to stay focused and on track. Have a great week.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I have done 5 months of really clean eating and regular exercise and my results have been amazing (50kg loss), but since hitting the 5-month park I have been struggling.

Not fully blowing up calorie-wise and I have been logging fairly accurately. But just giving into temptation, I set myself hard rules like No chocolate, No lollies, No chippies, and No takeaways. I have been bending these rules a lot, little bits of lollies, chocolate, and chippies. and I have had takeaways a few times.

It's stupid because the small amount of chocolate I have eaten isn't even an issue calorie-wise.. but breaking my rules feels like a huge defeat after going 5 months with none.

Even today I kept under my calories, and most of my food was fine. But I had a bacon & egg McMuffin, I shouldn't have had that and it feels like a defeat even though iv kept it under my goal.

I haven't fully broken and bought a block of chocolate or a bag of chips but I feel like that slide is coming.

Knowing what your weaknesses are is the first step, I have struggled for years. It's hard and I have yoyo'd but don't be so hard on yourself. take it one day at a time, and rejoice at each day you are successful and you will start to have more and more good days and get on track. Good luck.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    The "all or none" thinking...if I'm not perfect or think I've messed up somehow, I would just throw in the towel and "start again on Monday." Then, during those days before Monday, I would pig out...because I was going to "diet" again so might us well do it now.

Also, if the scale wasn't moving in the right direction, I'd restrict myself further, which would then lead to bingeing later. I really didn't understand normal weight fluctuations when I was younger. Conversely, I may have just given up, thinking what I was doing wasn't working. I just wasn't patient with the process.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Loosing track of the long term and putting to much importance on the short term.
  • mpkpbk2015
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Emotional eating is the big one for me.

However I prefer to try not to see it as "sabotage" because that for me frames it in a very negative way and makes it feel like my behaviour is bad or lacking, which only increases my descent down the spiral to failure and depression. Sabotage also makes it sounds very deliberate, when in reality, it is anything but. Nobody means to destroy their efforts at becoming more healthy.

Emotional eating is a coping mechanism which isn't healthy, but it is a coping mechanism and, in the moment, it does make me feel better. That's why it's so powerful.

It will take a lifetime's work and persistence to keep on top of it and I think I will always struggle at least a little bit. But what is important to me is to simply say "whoops!" and then get straight back onto the wagon once it's happened. Being kind to myself.

And that is where the progress lies - not in beating myself up for doing it - but in immediately resuming my usual habits and not guilt-tripping myself about it, not even making a big deal out of it, but just accepting myself. It's hard work, but I hope I'll get closer to it eventually!

I wasn't trying to frame it negatively as I said in my blog many times we do these things on auto-pilot or unintentionally or thinking we are doing something good like drinking smoothies not realizing how many calories they contain and that can blow a whole day. And psychologist have said control of our craving hormone like ghurelin is virtually impossible. And your right about food being a coping mechanism too. So by no means did I mean to come off negative Just trying to raise awareness. Thanks for sharing.
  • mpkpbk2015
    katie8032 wrote: »
    tindavione wrote: »
    Self sabotage...I am new on here but not new to this subject! How about adding "using food as a emotion regulator" ..anger , fear frustration, they all look better after a coke and chocolate bar "fix" ( that doesn't end up fixing anything in the long run I know !) ..or how about "too tired to cook " so eat out ( or the newest one was Hello Fresh..thought it would help..nope! Anyone got suggestions for simple meal planning strategies..?? I am soooo done with with roller coaster ride!

I made a binder with all the meals our family loves and print out a calendar for the month to put in the front. I pencil in meals throughout the month, knowing I can erase and rearrange as needed. But it helps take the guess work out of meal planning.
    For breakfast, lunch, and snacks, I am trying something new and made a word document where I listed some of the snacks, breakfasts, and lunch that I like, with fat, calories,and protein listed for each. That way, I dont have to think about it, I just choose one of those.
    Simplifying the decision process is important for me.
    Obviously there will be days where I cant choose from my list, because I'm not eating at home, etc. But most days I think this will work.
    Hope that helps!

Great suggestion thanks for sharing.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Having been on here almost a decade at this point, I think the most common 'self-sabotage' I notice is the over-restriction of foods or food groups. This can be in the form of specific 'diets' - be it keto or low carb, or meal replacement shakes (or... whatever), or in the belief that (for example) all sweets are 'bad' and therefore off-limits. Or that carbs make you fat, or that 'whatever' is bad for you and will prevent you from losing weight.

We all have our demons and our battles, we all face different challenges, but if I had to narrow it down to a generic 'one item' that I see over and over again, that would be it. Oftentimes binging or even purposely 'cheating' (which is a term I hate) at night, on the weekends, whatever your vice is, is a product of over-restriction.

I know personally, that when I tried to eliminate foods that I perceived to be 'off limits' that I would inevitably binge on them and then feel guilt, and then give up, and then restart, and it can be a vicious cycle. One that far too many fall into. Once I gave up the idea of 'off limits' and instead focused on 'earning my food', my mindset changed. Yes, I can (and do) have cookies and sweets and eat out. Anyone can look at my diary and see that. I lost over 100 pounds eating them. I make room for them. If I am over a bit, its okay. not the end of the world. As long as I am under maintenance (for me, about 1800 before exercise), its all okay. And even when i have the random day or days where I am over a bit, its still okay. I dont have my deficit set so low that I can not fit in the foods I want, in an average day. I may lose at a lower rate at times, but life, and food, is so much more enjoyable, and I have developed good habits for life.

What I personally have to be careful about, is self-soothing with food (using food as a coping mechanism). For me, my 'bedtime cookies' can very quickly become a coping mechanism for my depression and anxiety. I will purposely go through periods where I do not buy (my favorites), to keep my mind in check, and prevent me from being ABLE to binge on 10 oreos instead of 3 (for example).

So true - and congrats on losing over 100 pounds and keeping it off. Good strategy. Thanks for sharing. Good insight. Have a great week.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Not starting.

Excuses.

Lack of self control.

Easy availability of easy calories.

“I’ll start as soon as all the goodies in the house are gone”. They were never gone.

“It’s new! I have to try it!” (That one is still a problem.)

“I’m going to force feed myself chocolate until I’m so sick of it I’ll never touch it again.” Never reached that limit.

“I’ll start tomorrow.” Tomorrow was never the perfect day.

Even now, there are certain foods I can’t have in the house because I will eat every last crumb. Witness a trip to IKEA last week. I ate almost a whole “flat” of those crispy chocolate oatmeal cookies in an afternoon. At a 100 calories a pop. And why? They aren’t even that good.

I often let my husband do the grocery shopping now. He comes home with what’s on the list and his own snacks, which I won’t bother.
    Not starting.

Excuses.

Lack of self control.

Easy availability of easy calories.

“I’ll start as soon as all the goodies in the house are gone”. They were never gone.

“It’s new! I have to try it!” (That one is still a problem.)

“I’m going to force feed myself chocolate until I’m so sick of it I’ll never touch it again.” Never reached that limit.

“I’ll start tomorrow.” Tomorrow was never the perfect day.

Even now, there are certain foods I can’t have in the house because I will eat every last crumb. Witness a trip to IKEA last week. I ate almost a whole “flat” of those crispy chocolate oatmeal cookies in an afternoon. At a 100 calories a pop. And why? They aren’t even that good.

I often let my husband do the grocery shopping now. He comes home with what’s on the list and his own snacks, which I won’t bother.

They say knowing and acknowledging is half the battle and it sounds like you are putting some strategies in place like letting hubby do the shopping. Good luck on finding more, success is just around the next corner for you just keep looking. Thanks for sharing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!