How long have you been on MFP, At Goal, Maintaining ?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    How long have you been a member of MFP?

Since July 2015. I had already lost about 28 pounds, from a class 1 obese weight (183 pounds, at 5'5").

Are you at your Goal Weight? How far do you have to go? If have met your goal weight how long have you maintained it using MFP?

I don't really have a specific weight. I just want to stay in a healthy range, and not have to buy new clothes because of my size (I hate to shop). My weight has gone up and down since reaching 116 pounds (too low) in 2016, but has stayed well within the healthy BMI range since, and my same jeans fit. I was at 124.4 this morning, which is a good spot for me IMO. I'm still calorie counting because it takes very little time for the benefits I get, and is low-stress for me.

How is your overall health as a result of maintaining your goal weight.

My overall health is much better than before weight loss. Health was the basis for deciding to lose. I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol, needed my gallbladder removed not for stones/sludge but because it was an ugly, thickened, cholesterol-laden thing with actual holes in it (condition called adenomyomatosis). I'm also a survivor of stage III (locally advanced) breast cancer, and excess bodyweight is a risk factor for metastatic recurrence.

My doctor wanted me to take statins to address cardiovascular risk, and I didn't want to because it can cause brain fog as a side effect; I figured I'd already given up enough brain bandwidth to chemotherapy. I was already pretty fit for an obese person, even competing as a short-endurance athlete (rower), so adding exercise to improve health wasn't realistically going to improve much for me, as it possibly would for someone inactive.

I have arthritis and a torn meniscus (maybe more than one). I have much, much less joint pain now than when I was obese.

Suggestions for those still in process.

If overeating is a symptom, address the underlying causes (for example, anxiety, stress, boredom, etc.). Avoid unnecessary drama around food and eating (food isn't sin, it doesn't require expiation; and guilt burns no extra calories anyway). If a day or few go sideways, let it go and get back on a healthy routine; only stopping altogether will end progress. Remember that the scale just measures one's relationship with gravity at a single moment, not one's worth as a human being.

Recognize the factors under personal control (like what food one puts in one's mouth and swallows, how much movement is in one's day), and take full responsibility for them. Don't give away that power (or headspace) to other people. Sometime during the weight loss process, experiment to find the approach(es) that will be sustainable to maintain a healthy weight permanently, while that cushion of a calorie deficit is still in place, in case of mis-steps while figuring it out. Regain is a risk for all of us, but treating "a diet" entirely as a project with an end date, after which one "goes back to normal", is a an on-ramp to regain.

During weight loss, and maybe even moreso in maintenance, it's key to personalize approach to fit one's own preferences, strengths, and limitations. There is no "one size fits all".
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Since July 2015. I had already lost about 28 pounds, from a class 1 obese weight (183 pounds, at 5'5").

Are you at your Goal Weight? How far do you have to go? If have met your goal weight how long have you maintained it using MFP?

I don't really have a specific weight. I just want to stay in a healthy range, and not have to buy new clothes because of my size (I hate to shop). My weight has gone up and down since reaching 116 pounds (too low) in 2016, but has stayed well within the healthy BMI range since, and my same jeans fit. I was at 124.4 this morning, which is a good spot for me IMO. I'm still calorie counting because it takes very little time for the benefits I get, and is low-stress for me.

My overall health is much better than before weight loss. Health was the basis for deciding to lose. I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol, needed my gallbladder removed not for stones/sludge but because it was an ugly, thickened, cholesterol-laden thing with actual holes in it (condition called adenomyomatosis). I'm also a survivor of stage III (locally advanced) breast cancer, and excess bodyweight is a risk factor for metastatic recurrence.

My doctor wanted me to take statins to address cardiovascular risk, and I didn't want to because it can cause brain fog as a side effect; I figured I'd already given up enough brain bandwidth to chemotherapy. I was already pretty fit for an obese person, even competing as a short-endurance athlete (rower), so adding exercise to improve health wasn't realistically going to improve much for me, as it possibly would for someone inactive.

I have arthritis and a torn meniscus (maybe more than one). I have much, much less joint pain now than when I was obese.

If overeating is a symptom, address the underlying causes (for example, anxiety, stress, boredom, etc.). Avoid unnecessary drama around food and eating (food isn't sin, it doesn't require expiation; and guilt burns no extra calories anyway). If a day or few go sideways, let it go and get back on a healthy routine; only stopping altogether will end progress. Remember that the scale just measures one's relationship with gravity at a single moment, not one's worth as a human being.

Recognize the factors under personal control (like what food one puts in one's mouth and swallows, how much movement is in one's day), and take full responsibility for them. Don't give away that power (or headspace) to other people. Sometime during the weight loss process, experiment to find the approach(es) that will be sustainable to maintain a healthy weight permanently, while that cushion of a calorie deficit is still in place, in case of mis-steps while figuring it out. Regain is a risk for all of us, but treating "a diet" entirely as a project with an end date, after which one "goes back to normal", is a an on-ramp to regain.

During weight loss, and maybe even moreso in maintenance, it's key to personalize approach to fit one's own preferences, strengths, and limitations. There is no "one size fits all".

Thank you for your detailed and insightful response. I love your suggestions especially " avoid unnecessary drama around food and eating and food isn't a sin. Have a great day and week. And if your in the US stay warm and safe from this horrible cold arctic vortex we are in.🌹🌹🌹

• catgirl2289
    catgirl2289 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have used mfp in the past! i got back into it after losing about 30 or so lbs last year and plateauing. I have been using it for about a week and love it! I started at 240 last year now as a couple days ago I believe it was around 206? My goal weight is around 140. My lowest ever weight was 118 in my twenties. I quit vaping almost two months ago. I quit alcohol 5 years ago. Moderation and I are not good friends lol.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I first joined MFP back in 2012. I actually joined as part of a "weight loss challenge" through my local park district, when my 2nd baby was 9 months old. I lost about 35 pounds AND won 3rd place in the contest. I managed to keep off that amount of weight give or take 5-7 pounds, using MFP on and off, as well as other methods when I felt I needed a bit of a kick in the pants.

I started tracking seriously again back in April 2020, when I decided I could either gain weight from sitting around A LOT more than usual, or actually tackle those elusive last 8 pounds or so I always wanted to lose. Well, I was able to do that at a very slow pace, and have kept it off. I've gone up maybe a pound of actual weight (if that), and am trying to see if i could lose another 5. However, what I really want to do is lose fat and gain muscle, not just lose lbs on the scale. a

I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. I went on my first real (yet extreme) diet at age 14, where I lost a good amount of weight quickly, and set up years and years of disordered eating and thinking about food. When I lost weight in 2012 and especially this last time around, my mindset has shifted from thinking of myself as someone who is overweight and overeats, to a pretty healthy person (at least physically). I also shifted from focus on not just eating to lose weight, but eating for overall health. Since I've been doing it so long now, a lot of it just comes a lot more naturally to me.

I think shifting my mindset to telling myself I CAN have anything I want to eat and that nothing is off limits was helpful, as well as shifting my focus to overall health. My husband has a pretty crappy diet, buys all kinds of junk and when it's his turn to pick out a meal he has no thought about what is "healthy" or not. He's the one who actually needs to watch what he eats too, as he has high cholesterol (already on meds at 42) and has to watch his blood pressure, and has a family history of that kind of stuff (whereas mine doesn't). Anyway, my point is that it doesn't tempt me or make me jealous that he eats that way (although I wish he would be more concerned about his health), because I'm focused on my own health and what makes me feel better.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I first joined MFP back in 2012. I actually joined as part of a "weight loss challenge" through my local park district, when my 2nd baby was 9 months old. I lost about 35 pounds AND won 3rd place in the contest. I managed to keep off that amount of weight give or take 5-7 pounds, using MFP on and off, as well as other methods when I felt I needed a bit of a kick in the pants.

I started tracking seriously again back in April 2020, when I decided I could either gain weight from sitting around A LOT more than usual, or actually tackle those elusive last 8 pounds or so I always wanted to lose. Well, I was able to do that at a very slow pace, and have kept it off. I've gone up maybe a pound of actual weight (if that), and am trying to see if i could lose another 5. However, what I really want to do is lose fat and gain muscle, not just lose lbs on the scale. a

I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. I went on my first real (yet extreme) diet at age 14, where I lost a good amount of weight quickly, and set up years and years of disordered eating and thinking about food. When I lost weight in 2012 and especially this last time around, my mindset has shifted from thinking of myself as someone who is overweight and overeats, to a pretty healthy person (at least physically). I also shifted from focus on not just eating to lose weight, but eating for overall health. Since I've been doing it so long now, a lot of it just comes a lot more naturally to me.

I think shifting my mindset to telling myself I CAN have anything I want to eat and that nothing is off limits was helpful, as well as shifting my focus to overall health. My husband has a pretty crappy diet, buys all kinds of junk and when it's his turn to pick out a meal he has no thought about what is "healthy" or not. He's the one who actually needs to watch what he eats too, as he has high cholesterol (already on meds at 42) and has to watch his blood pressure, and has a family history of that kind of stuff (whereas mine doesn't). Anyway, my point is that it doesn't tempt me or make me jealous that he eats that way (although I wish he would be more concerned about his health), because I'm focused on my own health and what makes me feel better.

Thank you so much, I admire your attitude about being focused on your own health and being able to shift your mindset in the presence of adversity around you. Stay strong and do you. Life is too short and I too have struggled with my weight for all my life for some reason I am the 7th of 7 children and the only one who came out fat, everyone else in my family is skinny including my mom. It could be because I was the change of life baby my mom didn't have me until she was almost 40 who knows. But I was always made fun of at home and at school so I just couldn't catch a break about my weight. So up until 2 years ago I have been a serial dieter, now I am just a 1/2 pound away from my 100 pound goal .But it's taken a whole lifetime.👍👍👍
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Hi All,

I have used mfp in the past! i got back into it after losing about 30 or so lbs last year and plateauing. I have been using it for about a week and love it! I started at 240 last year now as a couple days ago I believe it was around 206? My goal weight is around 140. My lowest ever weight was 118 in my twenties. I quit vaping almost two months ago. I quit alcohol 5 years ago. Moderation and I are not good friends lol.

Glad your back. And with a determined attitude. I know you will make this time I can hear it in your voice. 2 years ago I decided no more too and now I am 1/2 pound short of my 100 pound goal. I was 227 and unhappy and miserable and now 127.6 and determined to make it by my birthday in April. And I have had several plateaus but during the plateaus I measured and was losing inches so I didn't let the numbers on the scale get me down. So good luck and Again welcome back.🌹🌹🌹
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    - Became a member in 2012 at the suggestion of a coworker. After I met my goal I took a 2 year break from the site. I rejoined again in 2016 when I had a change in activity at my job and regained 18 lbs.

Are you at your Goal Weight?
    - Yes! I’m currently maintaining within 5 lbs of my goal weight.

If have met your goal weight how long have you maintained it using MFP?
    - It’s been 7+ years of maintenance. That includes the regain and loss of the 18 lbs at one point and about 4 other times I regained 6-8 lbs here and there when I just dusted off my food scale and started counting my calories again and lost it to be back within my 5 lb threshold of my goal weight.

- My health has improved immensely! I was having health issues directly caused by my obesity which is what made me get my act together and finally lose weight in a sustainable manner. Getting down to a healthy bmi has resolved all those issues and I feel the best I have in my entire life. Previously I had lived a completely sedentary lifestyle, now I really enjoy exercise, trail running has become my true passion!

- Patience! Sustainable weight loss takes time but it’s worth the wait. It took me 10 months to lose 43 lbs which averages out to 1 lb per week and I didn’t feel deprived. Eat whatever you want but watch the portions, be honest with yourself about how much you are actually eating. And stay active even if it’s just walking, it goes a long way to improving your overall physical and mental health. Make time to prioritize loving yourself and care for your body, it’s the only one you will get and it’s worth it to take the time to invest in your health for yourself and your loved ones <3:)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I just had my 5yr anniversary on the site this week. I had been maintaining in my range for about two years then gained some back when my husband and I split up in September so I’m losing again. I’m about 4lbs from my previous maintenance but now have a new goal to lose about 10 more
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    - Became a member in 2012 at the suggestion of a coworker. After I met my goal I took a 2 year break from the site. I rejoined again in 2016 when I had a change in activity at my job and regained 18 lbs.

Are you at your Goal Weight?
    - Yes! I’m currently maintaining within 5 lbs of my goal weight.

If have met your goal weight how long have you maintained it using MFP?
    - It’s been 7+ years of maintenance. That includes the regain and loss of the 18 lbs at one point and about 4 other times I regained 6-8 lbs here and there when I just dusted off my food scale and started counting my calories again and lost it to be back within my 5 lb threshold of my goal weight.

- My health has improved immensely! I was having health issues directly caused by my obesity which is what made me get my act together and finally lose weight in a sustainable manner. Getting down to a healthy bmi has resolved all those issues and I feel the best I have in my entire life. Previously I had lived a completely sedentary lifestyle, now I really enjoy exercise, trail running has become my true passion!

- Patience! Sustainable weight loss takes time but it’s worth the wait. It took me 10 months to lose 43 lbs which averages out to 1 lb per week and I didn’t feel deprived. Eat whatever you want but watch the portions, be honest with yourself about how much you are actually eating. And stay active even if it’s just walking, it goes a long way to improving your overall physical and mental health. Make time to prioritize loving yourself and care for your body, it’s the only one you will get and it’s worth it to take the time to invest in your health for yourself and your loved ones <3:)

Wow 2012 - first of all congrats on maintaining your goal weight. And being at a healthy weight. And thank you so much for sharing your insights and story. Have a great week.💖💖💖
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I just had my 5yr anniversary on the site this week. I had been maintaining in my range for about two years then gained some back when my husband and I split up in September so I’m losing again. I’m about 4lbs from my previous maintenance but now have a new goal to lose about 10 more

Congrats on your 5th anniversary on MFP - as well as reaching your goal weight . And I applaud your determination in setting a new goal even lower by 10 pounds of your original goal weight and wish you much success in reaching it. Have a wonderful rest of the week. And thanks for sharing.👍👍👍