Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    In case you need more reasons to get the vaccine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2021/03/15/uk-coronavirus-variant-significantly-more-deadly-says-new-study/?sh=620128a46a1e

"In conclusion, this meta‐analysis of eight studies with more than 3700 patients shows a pooled proportion of 14.4% for newly diagnosed diabetes in hospitalized COVID‐19 patients."

https://dom-pubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/dom.14269
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited March 2021
    My second vaccine is scheduled for 7th April! So happy! Near end of this chuffin’ isolation! Blessed
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Poison will not heal. Over 99% recovery rate world wide. If you die after getting the vaccine your life insurance is null too because its experimental. Give your insurer a call first. 6m0kguqx7ts1.png

The constantly quoted 99% recovery rate as an argument against lockdowns, masks and vaccines drive me nuts. As if the end point of survival is the only metric to be used. Do people see that the hospitalization rate is much, much higher than that, and that our health care systems are overwhelmed? Did they not see what happened in Europe and New York City in the first wave? People who end up in the hospital with severe Covid sometimes have to stay in ICU for weeks. People are dying from cancer and other illnesses because they can't get treatment when the hospitals are full. All these "I'll take my chances with a 1% death rate" people literally drive me insane.

All of that aside (and don't worry, I completely agree with you), people also fail to see that 1% of 328.2 million people is over 3 million dead. That would be devastating to our country and our economy. We don't want it to run rampant.

Yep! I have a coworker who just lost her father to Covid the other day. Most young and healthy people will be fine but what about older or sicker people? The death rate is much higher for people over 60, 70, and 80. I’m sure most people have a parent or grandparent they care about.

Not only that, when our hospitals were impacted a few months ago a lot of other people had their other care delayed like elective surgeries and things.

People need to stop being so selfish and think about people besides themselves.

First, another congratulations to you! Second, Atul Gawande was interviewed by Preet Bharara and drew this comparison. 2 revolutionary surgical discoveries happened same time. One was good for surgeons and adopted instantaneously. One was good for patients and took a whole generation to become commonplace. People don’t do what’s good for others.

Interview: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/stay-tuned-with-preet/id1265845136?i=1000512523253
    Discoveries: ether & antiseptic
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Analog_Kid wrote: »
    Throughout the pandemic, the US COVID mortality rate has steadily hovered around 0.017%

Since deploying the vaccine, the average mortality rate hasn't changed.

With or without the vaccine, COVID has a 99.98% survival rate.

Those aren't bad odds.

As of this date (3/13/2021), COVID-19 has killed 531k people in the US. Even if every single person had been infected already (and we are no where close) that is 0.161% of the population that has died from COVID-19, nearly 10X higher than the mortality rate you are claiming.

Reliable sources put the overall mortality rate at between 0.5% and 1%. It is 1.7-1.8% based on positive tests results versus deaths, but there are more cases than positive tests.

I'm getting the vax when reasonable (I'm in a low risk group), but there is a valid counterpoint to the mortality rate argument and that the fact that the rate doesn't apply equally across the population. Depending on age and other comorbidities, a person's likelihood of death could be far greater or far less.
This discussion has been closed.