WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Tina “…for the price of a small condo” oh yeah. Alas, neither Joe nor I are handy, but for the price of a small condo I’d want all the floors done, both bathrooms, kitchen, and a vacation rental for Joe, me and the dogs while the work was being done :laugh:

Tracey what you said about the co$t of bras.

I had the bathroom torn to the studs, walls and flooring torn out to make it twice the size, everything new, piping moved around, and because I took the closet for the guest room, had to have one built back into that room on another side. But, it's exactly as I wanted and I still love it.

Vicki-I hope you find a reputable contractor to do your remodel. There is one out there. It just may take a while to find them.

I also have never found a comfortable bra and I have searched a lot. The ones that are somewhat durable and fit well are stupidly expensive. I think we should be able to put those on our flex spending accounts, since we really cannot go out to work without them (for those of you outside the U.S., that is pre-tax money we can use for healthcare and first aid stuff such as bandaids/plastics, ibuprofen, knee braces, etc. outside of what our insurance pays).

Allie-Congrats on getting rid of the vest!

Heather-Congrats on finishing your first draft!

Pandemic life changes - Mostly, I am even more antisocial than I was before. I like that strangers keep their distance and don't get bent out of shape when I keep mine, as if I have some sort of problem with them. I hate having to make reservations to eat out, because I prefer being a bit more spontaneous. So, it has forced me to plan and be a bit more committal on some things. I like that we go out with certain friends less often, because there is one in the group I'd really prefer neither of us see again.

It's been difficult adjusting to the mister being home most of the time for work. This has been a bit of a struggle for us.

My credit card bill is much lower, but that is because there is no travel or entertainment on it. So Yay! Boo!

I'm spending less on groceries, because I have them delivered. When I go in myself, I browse and buy a lot of stuff I really don't need. Now, I also waste less food. However, I am not cooking as extravagantly as I was before. I sort of lost my desire to do it.

People are "cleaner" overall. I like that places are cleaner. I hope children are being taught the importance of washing their hands more than before and are actually doing it.

There is more, I'm sure.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited March 2021
    Well, the Zoom was quite an experience! I was exhausted afterwards and felt quite emotional.
    The main topic of conversation was one friend's son's move to Ireland from Australia. That was big enough, but there was more! The very next day the son phoned her again to tell her his dad, her second husband, had died. He had dementia and was in hospital. The next installment of the drama was the state of the house and the estate. No will and financial records in total chaos. The good thing is it looks like her son will keep the house, which is a large cabin by a Loch. My friend let the husband keep it in the marriage settlement, but she deeply mourned the loss of it.
    After all that my friend Gwendolen dropped it into the last five minutes that she really felt she couldn't keep going with her new locum lawyer job. She would have to bow out and, as a consequence, sell the apartment she lives in. This has been on the cards for some time, but she has been holding on. Her other apartment, nearer to me, she sold to her son, who lets her continue to live in it, so she will move permanently back there. I will see more of her, which is nice. It is very tiny though.
    So, what a lot going on. :o<3:o<3

We are all so close, so it feels like family.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited March 2021
    If the pictures come on,they are our 7 yr old Gr grandson,2 yr old Gr Grson & the 2 our DD babysits .LOOKS LIKE I MESSED UP & no idea how to fix! Pat C Ohio
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    I finally got henna on my hair again! It's been maybe five months, so the grey strands were a few inches long. Still, it was good enough for Zoom! Lol My natural color is a dark ashy brown. The henna makes the grey strands red and the rest of it a rich mahogany color. So that's done, before my sister's visit on Saturday.

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Nice Pip! What fun you are going to have!
    B)B)B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Worked today so no formal exercise. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise. I did get in 6,000 steps and the day isn’t done yet

Changed as a result of the pandemic? Well, for one thing I got a part time job. I did a lot of crafts and found that I liked doing jigsaw puzzles. Ceramics was closed (they opened the first of March, tonight will be the first time we’re going but only 5 people can go at once and you need to register). Found that I prefer livestreaming shows (I don’t have to wear that dumb mask). I do find that I’m washing my hands more often. I only go to one gym now (which is a savings of over $200). Stopped going to church but will probably resume now that I’ve had the vaccine. Had a much smaller Christmas this year. Spend less time in the grocery store, get in and get out.

Took Bonnie and Clyde for their rabies shots. Our vet wasn’t in today and the first opening he had was in April. So they just gave them the shot and they’ll go see the regular vet next month.

Then went to Aldi, didn’t get much, was only there about an hour. Came home, relaxed some, now to get ready for ceramics. I don’t know how it’ll be, things will be so different. Thank goodness I have it written down where I am (which coat of paint, what color, etc).

Michele NC
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Pip... love your Meer Kat! Beautiful!

Betsy in NW WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    B)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member

Machka in Oz[/quote]

I might also ask this:

How have YOU changed as a result of the pandemic?

Your perspectives?

Your goals?

What is important to you?[/quote]

My day to day life changed radically. I had a full schedule of group meetings for the life long learning charity for which I volunteer as a group leader. I was leader of 6 groups, and a member of a dozen more. (Mostly monthly meetings)

Our age demographic meant than the majority of our members where recommended to shield, so face2face meetings were cancelled indefinitely. A few continued on line but many members are resistant to technology.

I have to say that it was quite pleasant to
    relinquish the responsibilities and work involved in the leadership roles for which I volunteered. I relished the extra time with DH, and the opportunity and freedom to pursue my own interests more fully.

Changes:
    ~ The lack of response to my efforts to keep my group members in the loop have made me re-evaluate my volunteer duties, and I have determined to step back from some of them when face2face is again possible.
    ~ My perspectives and goals have changed in that I am more focused on my health and fitness, my family and pursuing my own interests.
    ~ I have become much more relaxed in general, and like the more simple life that DH and I have adopted. It’s refreshing to realise that after almost 55 years together, we are happy in each other’s company.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    a0wp8ayvoluj.jpg
    💖 Rebecca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Well i dropped the boys off and dropped San off at work at 2..he is working until 6 so will pick him and drop him home
  • TerriRichardson112
    Heather: ~ That’s more or less what I had read up on reactions yo the vaccines. I was not unduly worried about feeling woozy for under a day. Au contrary, I was pleased it wasn’t a bad as I was expecting.
  • TerriRichardson112
    Pip: ~ 😍 the Meerkat. Wishing you lots of lovely trips in that baby.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: Congratulations on being in your new home. It seems to be filled with good features and all set for your happiness. :heart:

Machka: Life has changed since the pandemic by shrinking my chances to visit with friends and go to the stable and yoga classes that I love. I feel locked down and locked in. Our favorite Thai restaurant closed its doors forever. DH and I have appointments for our second Pfizer vaccinations on March 30. Then I will begin to feel a little more freedom. This group of women has been a blessing. I’m grateful and protected from isolation by all of you. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: We live beside the Columbia River, protected by two levels of riprap rock walls. When we bought this place, we could see water stains inside the house and inside the fireplace. Moving here was a risk that we wanted to take. We’ve had high water twice since the move, but it never invaded the inside of our home since we bought here. We can see our boat from the house. Unfortunately, the boat doesn’t get the attention and use that it should due to DH’s health challenges. We are thinking about putting it on the market but have made no definite decisions. :ohwell:

March 30 we will get our second Pfizer vaccinations. I plan to celebrate, go to the gym, go to the stables and resume the activities that make me happy. I hope to be feeling better and for the headache that began with a fall in early January to be gone.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Please go to the doctor and get that headache checked!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Gee ,Tom just told me he goes in for hernia repair on Friday..will be home for 3 weeks..
    Told him if there is anything I can do to help,he has been great taking Alfie

But remember to take care of yourself first!
  • TerriRichardson112
    Pic is My bouquet from DED for Mother’s Day.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Heather is there a way to check your oxygen levels. The fact thisis happened over a series of days might warrent a call to the doctor.