pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    Ooo
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Machka in Oz

I might also ask this:

How have YOU changed as a result of the pandemic?

Your perspectives?

Your goals?

What is important to you?

My day to day life changed radically. I had a full schedule of group meetings for the life long learning charity for which I volunteer as a group leader. I was leader of 6 groups, and a member of a dozen more. (Mostly monthly meetings)

Our age demographic meant than the majority of our members where recommended to shield, so face2face meetings were cancelled indefinitely. A few continued on line but many members are resistant to technology.

I have to say that it was quite pleasant to
    relinquish the responsibilities and work involved in the leadership roles for which I volunteered. I relished the extra time with DH, and the opportunity and freedom to pursue my own interests more fully.

Changes:
    ~ The lack of response to my efforts to keep my group members in the loop have made me re-evaluate my volunteer duties, and I have determined to step back from some of them when face2face is again possible.
    ~ My perspectives and goals have changed in that I am more focused on my health and fitness, my family and pursuing my own interests.
    ~ I have become much more relaxed in general, and like the more simple life that DH and I have adopted. It’s refreshing to realise that after almost 55 years together, we are happy in each other’s company.

Like you, I've backed off of things a bit ... a somewhat more relaxed simple life. :)

I'm not sure if it was the pandemic or finishing university and the feeling of freedom that went along with that, but as I wrapped up uni I decided to step down from the Brain Injury organisation here and I've been more than happy to hand off some of the workload with the Cycling organisation. :)

Because of the pandemic, a lot of the events we attended have stopped or slowed down, and I've enjoyed the break. These events are the symphonies and plays we used to attend once a month or every 6 weeks or so. Some of them have started again, in different formats, but I haven't looked into what's on offer. For now, I'm happy to have most of my evenings at home with husband and cat.

My attention is turning back toward fitness again, after putting a lot of that on hold for the past 3 years. Funny thing is, I'm struggling with that a little. After years of having to limit my fitness activities to maybe an hour on weekdays and perhaps slightly longer on weekends because I had too much other stuff to take care of with uni etc., my head is still telling me that I can't spend much time doing fitness activities. Last weekend, for example, I was working away on organising my dining room office when my husband asked when we might go downstairs to exercise. My first thought was, "I've got too much to do!" and then I stopped. I don't have deadlines. If it takes an extra day to organise the dining room, that's OK. So we went downstairs and exercised! Sadly, my fitness level has declined a lot but maybe now I can start to bring it back.

One other thing I have been pondering is my commute and the number of days I work. I've mentioned this before, I think, but my commute wears me down. It's been so slow in mornings for the past 2 weeks for some reason. I'm not sure what changed but I'm on that bus for nearly an hour now on the way to work (and about 35 minutes going home). That's a big chunk of my day!

I am still entertaining the idea of maybe working 4 days a week, but slightly longer hours. Or maybe 5 days one week, 4 days the next. Or something different.

And really, if I'm going to spend an hour on my commute ... that's how long it would take me to cycle it! There are a couple other difficulties with regard to commuting by bicycle which I would have to overcome, but I do keep thinking about it.

BTW - I would like to move closer to where I work. That would solve a number of problems. However, housing prices here are through the roof. They've gone up a lot in the past couple years. We can't afford to rent or buy anything else. We've got a nice place at a decent rate with good owners, so we're not inclined to throw that away. But if housing prices (rents or purchases) drop at some point in the future, we might look around.

I am looking at options to make life easier. :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Zwift bike trainer - 33.55min, 17.8amph, 213elev, 140ahr, 160mhr, 10.05mi= 338c
    Strava app = 209c
    Wlk w/family- 1hr 50min 16sec, 3.02ap, 98ahr, 112mhr, 5.63mi= 498c
    Strava app = 682c

Total cal 836
  • Machka9
    Options
    My DDIL is being filmed for videos for a new psychology app and advising large companies on Zoom. I am envious. Very.
    Oh well, I enjoyed the holiday!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

What is her educational background?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding ants, other insects and arachnids.

The only ants I worry about are the jack jumpers. They will chew into you like a dog with a bone. Very painful. And yes, this is the voice of experience talking.

The rest come and go. We just try not to leave food they like out. Otherwise ants are part of living in Australia.

As are other insects and arachnids. They're everywhere!!

I keep an eye on the spiders and if a suspicious-looking one comes in, it gets disposed of. So do the scorpions. I don't like scorpions!

Machka in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Barbie - it’s good that you and your neighbour are in agreement. It sounds beautiful.

Pip - I can’t wait to see pics of your camper.

Katla - Selling the boat would be a hard decision to make I imagine.

Bras - I haven’t tried it myself but three women I work with have bought a Knix bra and ordered more today. They are a range of sizes, and all three stated it was the most comfortable bra they have ever bought. I think I will try one on my next bra purchase.
    I agree they should be Health Spending Money.

Heather - I have friends like that too, I think they know me better than family truthfully. I think I’m more open with them.

Machka - I have always wanted to work 10 hour days Mon - Thurs. I figure if your there anyway a couple more hours really doesn’t make much of a difference.
    I currently work 7.75 hours a day from 8-415. That little extra available in the day makes a difference but I lose 65 hours a year.

I tried a new recipe in the crockpot today. It was awful. Neither of us ate more than a few mouthfuls. I made KD for us afterwards. Not the healthiest but it sure is quick, also not filling and now I’m hungry.

Im recording a music show tonight on CBS called A Grammy Salute to the Sounds of Change. It is about songs that have propelled social change.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Terri – beautiful flowers

Understand the weather isn’t supposed to be nice tomorrow. Threat of tornadoes. Well, I’ll believe it when it happens. Now I know why we were so busy at work today, everyone’s getting prepared for tomorrow…lol I hope we don’t have bad weather. Vince said it’s supposed to rain until 3. At least I’m under cover and if it’s cold, I’ll be in the store. Honestly, I prefer to be outside. I really don’t like having to deal with “who’s watching who, who said what”, etc. Just leave me alone, let me do my job. Actually, on my review it was noted that I had to be reminded to tuck in my shirt (corporate rules). Well, I see lots of managers and other workers not having their shirts tucked in. If anyone should set an example, it should be managers. But, honestly, I was rated “meets requirements” on everything else, I bet they just needed something to put down so that I’m not “meets requirements” in everything.

Went to ceramics tonight. We’ll probably only go once/week right now, either Tues or Wed depending if we have bowling on Wed. Had to get back in the groove. The gal who is running it always has been the type of person who was very relaxed. She still is. She said we really don’t have to wear a mask (the city says you do) but if she says something about flowers, that means that a city employee is there and to pull up your mask.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :) I got to enjoy a rare few hours alone this afternoon. Jake had an appointment with the chiropractor and he did my errands for me---library curbside drop off and pick up and bank drive through.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Recd our stimulus check, so feeling very positive about our little nest egg growing. I have a piece of paper in the checkbook that lists all my "outstanding monies" and so the checkbook shows $300 something, but really its more. I can balance the checkbook easier with smaller numbers, and can judge better what our limits should be when grocery shopping. I an buying a new pan, maybe some new shirts. Husband wanted some games, but none on his list are available. Go figure. We might get someone to get rid of our tree limbs.👍
    Hugs all!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We hoped to either eat out or get takeout. No luck for either today. The criteria for reopening seems to be to difficult for many restaurants in our area.. :'(
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I have always wanted to work 10 hour days Mon - Thurs. I figure if your there anyway a couple more hours really doesn’t make much of a difference.
    I currently work 7.75 hours a day from 8-415. That little extra available in the day makes a difference but I lose 65 hours a year.

Tracey in Edmonton

I am employed to work 7.6 hours a day. That's pretty much full time here. I do have some flexibility with it ... I can start whenever I like between about 7 and 10 am, and then leave whenever I like as long as I put in 7.6 hours. I'm also allowed to take an hour at lunch if I want or leave an hour earlier.

I am not a morning person so I aim to be here at 9 am. Unfortunately the buses have been getting in the way of that over the past couple weeks and I may have to start catching a bus about half an hour earlier. :angry:

I do like to take the hour at lunch to go for a walk like the one in the post above. It helps with my stress relief and gets me out in the sunshine.

However, if I were to decide to work a 9 day fortnight, that would be 8.4 hours a day. I would have to come in an hour earlier, at 8 am rather than 9 am. That's not so bad. Now that I'm out of uni, I might be able to go to bed a bit earlier. I would have to leave home at 7:10 am.

If I wanted to work an 8 day fortnight (4 days a week), I would have to come in an hour before that ... 7 am. That's a bit painful! I would have to leave home about 6 am and catch a bus I'm not keen on - it goes a very twisty route and I get bus sick.

There is a rumour that more buses may be added to the route out in our area, so perhaps that will offer more flexibility. I hope.

M in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Well here it is almost 2 am and ive been awake since midnight..went to pick my son up from work and there were 3 cop cars here,and they were here when i got back.. now only time that happens ia when there is an untimely death.. which is what happened.. a dear friend she was in her 90s but still,just saw her yesterday at the mailboxes..i know she has 2 kids and i am hoping they take her 2 cats...
    Thats the only thing about living here,you lose friends one by one..
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @TerriRichardson112 @Auntiebk thanks, i have a hard time accepting the fact that women and men won't be equal all over the map in my lifetime in all areas. one can't spend entire life calling out the inequality, but i have a hard time with it.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ah, no wonder I'm having difficulty finding info about handrails.

What I want are called Balustrades!

Unfortunately, it's starting to look expensive but I'll need to get quotes to be sure.

M in Oz
    @Machka i'm not sure what the handrails are for, but if it's for handicapped it's worth seeing if landlord is required to pay for it ( i was thinking you were renters but i'm not sure at all about that). For my sister, the landlord had to input a ramp and bars for shower and so on.