WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Well ,picked up my scripts and my son and dropped him off,have the windows open,its glorious outside,going to get wind gusts tonight and will cool down for the weekend.. i took a early morning quick snooze so here is hoping i can sleep tonight..
    Watching Highway to Heaven...so glad they still play reruns
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    Options
    Kelly: - That was one serious journey you undertook!
    Heather: - N Ireland still allows us to bubble with 1 other household up to a maximum of 6 people. We bubble with our DYD as she lives alone nearby. (Her (civil) partner broke up with her a week before Christmas and has moved out).

DH and I share chores and cooking. He does the lion’s share of housework, and I do the finessing. We have different standards 😂 The dishwasher is his baby. He has also bought a steam mop, so he does the floors. I do the difficult things like flower arranging, planning shopping, keeping fit, etc.

It works for me. Despite having a full time job, I did the bulk of housework/childcare when the kids were small, as he was often away on business.

☘️ Terri
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,954 Member
    Options
    I consider myself extremely fortunate that DH cleans up after me. He washes up, puts stuff in the dishwasher, cleans surfaces and occasionally sweeps the floor. He empties the rubbish. I would not cook so much if I didn't have a kitchen porter!!!! :D<3 Cooking is fun. Cleaning up is not.
    My father used to be the washer up. I have just continued the tradition. I just leave DH all the mess. :o Sometimes he moans a bit. :p
    My mother used to complain about hoovering and dusting at the weekend. I agree. I have a cleaner to avoid arguments over house duties. I am not my husband's maid and he would not expect me to be. We do about equal in the house. My mother worked full time from when I was 5 years old. I admired her for that in the 50s. Very unusual.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

I would love it if my husband cleaned up after I cooked(or cooked at all or even rinsed his dishes before putting them in the sink-yep, sign is still up that says "You don't RINSE, I don't WASH" - doesn't help) About once a week at most he will wash the dishes that are in the sink. He doesn't put the dishes away- says he doesn't know where they go(but somehow knows where they are when he needs them) or takes the kitchen trash out- he will keep putting more and more in until overflowing and still not take it out. He will say, Oh, I was going to do that(while I am finishing up washing the dishes or half way out the door with the trash). I have actually told him I am tired of being the maid around here- he just laughed. NOT the response I wanted.

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Debbie - my first husband was very good, we were featured in a magazine in the 70s as an equal couple, but there was tension after the children came along. I remember a stand off over a banana skin left on the living room floor which i refused to pick up. It was there for a week.
    Never, ever, give in to a man. Never. They need you more than you need them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I think equality in a relationship is defined by those in the relationship. My mister does not clean up after me when I cook, but I don't clean up after him when he brews beer or makes wine or bread. I prefer him being out of the kitchen when I'm in it and I clean as I go along when I cook, so the end cleanup is pretty simple. I also am very picky about my kitchen tools, so prefer cleaning them myself. He does put his dishes in the dishwasher though and sometimes mine. He also makes me coffee every day. However, he doesn't clean the rest of the house at all. The tradeoff is that I don't touch his bathroom or office (both are a huge mess). I just don't go in them. I've gotten used to a certain amount of clutter, because let's face it, neither of us is going to change that at this point. He also rinses my SCUBA gear when we dive together and takes care of it. Picking my battles.

That's not to say we didn't have plenty of battles before. We just came to a compromise and this is now it.

Tina in CA who is now "invincible" and fully vaccinated from COVID (though not really changing anything either)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: Congratulations on your second shot!!! :star:

Tina: If I had a choice, I’d prefer year around day-light time. I looked things up, and it appears that this will be the final shift to permanent daylight time—excluding one county in Oregon. Malheur County will be the only county in the state not to use year around daylight time. We have relatives who live in Malheur County and I do not know whether they like this plan or feel left behind. :flowerforyou:

We are not fully vaccinated at this time. Our second vaccinations will on March 30th. I look forward to it. I wonder whether we will get another round of headaches with the final dose. If you have had the second Pfizer vaccinations already I’d love to know how you felt afterward. Headaches again, or freedom from headaches?

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

We are not fully vaccinated at this time. Our second vaccinations will on March 30th. I look forward to it. I wonder whether we will get another round of headaches with the final dose. If you have had the second Pfizer vaccinations already I’d love to know how you felt afterward. Headaches again, or freedom from headaches?

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Katla - I just got my second Pfizer dose around noon PST today. No effects at all yet. Not even a slightly sore arm. If I hadn't felt the prick of the needle, I'd wonder if she actually gave me the vaccine at all. After the first one, I had a sore arm for about 24 hours that started within an hour or so. But thus far after dose 2, no headaches, fever, chills or anything else. I'll report back if that changes.

Tina in CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Will try to catch up. Of course, didn’t do any formal exercise yesterday. Today I did a Shape Cardio DVD (a new one). The plan for tomorrow is to do a Yoga for Low Back DVD.

Today had to go to Food Lion for my “annual” review. No, I haven’t been there a year yet. Really, Vince was a manager for over 20 years, he looked at the “review” and said “this is boiler-plate stuff”. Well, I’m not concerned. The things I was marked down on were not having my shirt tucked in (no one told me this was part of the dress code, and it seemed that some managers enforced this and others didn’t) and something about not being sure if in a new situation. I will ask. Maybe they just needed to say something, since I was marked OK for everything else.

Terri – I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes not having to organize groups. You know, Newcomers is talking about perhaps having the activities. I’m really not looking forward to doing Rummikub. We were a small group as it is, and I suspect it’ll be even smaller now. Regardless of whatever happens, there are going to be people who will be hesitant

After Food Lion went to the post office to mail Jess’ birthday card and picked up the mail we had held. Then the soup kitchen. Afterwards went to Aldi then had to go to WalMart.

Allie – sorry someone in your building is Covid positive. Stay safe

Vicki – I was sad because I had to leave the condo and FL

According to the scale at home, I seem to have lost a little weight while in FL. The scale at the gym didn’t show it, tho

Happy to hear so many people are getting the vaccination

Lisa – I’m all for one time. Especially if they choose Daylight Saving Time

KJ – what a journey you’ve had!

I think we’re in for some warm weather. Why couldn’t this have been in FL? Our neighbor (the one who was watching the house) told me that it should be getting warmer

Learned that before I leave for FL, I need to have meals made and in the freezer.

Vince is very good about taking out the trash if I don’t. He puts the dinner dishes in the dishwasher almost every day. I mostly just do things because I am afraid he wouldn’t clean up in a timely manner. He doesn’t clean up after me when I cook, tho

Katla – I had the second Pfizer vaccination and the only after effect Vince and I had was a sore arm. But I do think that any reaction is dependent on the person

Well, going to post this. Dinner calls, then maybe I’ll try to catch up on some of my TV shows.

Michele
    Back in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tina and Michelle: Thank you both for the information on the Pfizer number 2. I am looking forward to it for both DH and me. :heart:
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Katla - My doctor has told me that the average weight gain since Covid has been 15-20lbs nationally.
    I am missing my girls and the grandchildren, other than that the virus has not impacted my social life at all. I hadn’t seen a couple of friends for months before Covid. I wasn’t really into any groups or clubs. I do miss swimming though.

Barbie - would you share the name of that podcast about anxiety, I think I should listen to it to see if it would help my girls.
    The first time we witnessed our youngest having a full blown anxiety attack she was 9 years old. She had had a few in the weeks before, but she was with Grandparents in NB. It terrified us. When we took her to the doctor I was asked if there was a history of worriers in the family. I said that, yes my Grandfather, my mother, and my husband would say I was. She told me that it is actually hereditary and the brain is wired differently.
    When I was growing up it was just that Grampie and Mom worried, not called anxiety. I wouldn’t even say I have anxiety, but I do worry a fair bit.

Vicki - I agree with the cost depending where you go. I have started buying premade home style dinners at our local grocery store. Last week, Rodger had a Chinese dinner and I had a caeser salad. It cost us 8.00.
    I can buy all sorts of meals there for 5.00 or less. I couldn’t make a meal for much less than that.

Tina - Have you tried sugar water in a pop bottle? We do that for wasps and hornets. I can’t stand flies.

Heather - I wish we would have had some chore divisions more laid out in the beginning. I was raised and looked up to housewives, I only knew a couple of mothers that worked. In the 80’s even the TV Mom’s worked and cleaned and did everything.
    I have to say that Rodger has been extremely helpful since I can’t do as much, he’s keeping the kitchen spotless.

Heather - I saw a picture on FB of a piece of paper on the bathroom floor. If a person was sitting in the toilet there is no way it wouldn’t be seen sitting across the room. The woman that posted it had this comment. “If anyone in my family would bother to pick this up they would know there is a $5 bill taped to the underneath. So far it has been there for 3 weeks”.
    I feel like a lot of people could do this.

Tina - I agree, we found what works for us and for the most part I’m not unhappy with our roles but I sure wish I had made different choices in the beginning.

I had Phizer and had absolutely no reaction to the first and a sore are for a couple days with the second.

I went in to work for the 1 hour zoom meeting that was 2.5 hours. It will all be worth it in the end. Then I went to Costco and came home.

I put in a miserable night last night and could sleep well right now I think. Unfortunately, it’s only 440. If I sleep now I will not sleep again tonight.

Need to figure out supper and I’m craving carbs.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    I have the humidifier going here is hoping that helps with the nosebleeds.
    Also trying to stay awake so that I can sleep decent tonight.. watching Wheel of Fortune
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :)Tracey, Here is the link to the podcast about anxiety as a habit.

https://tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/judson-brewer-329
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤🧡💛💚💙💜🤎
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    My husband's toy came in. He's been having fun. My 60 year old man/child.💖👍
    dibc50rsihqa.jpg
    x1zrca9acfb2.jpg
    My huge salad today. Spring mix, lettuce, walnuts, celery, cucumbers, pickled beets, farm style shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, black olives, and a drizzle of Paul Newman's Italian dressing. It was glorious. Ate that at 11am, then at 12:00 noon had my mason jar of homemade chicken noodle soup. Afterwards a chocolate chip cookie, (Entimans individual wrapped cookies, bought 2), and a cup of coffee. Closed my eating window at 3 pm. Tonight fixing spaghetti and meatballs, and will make a serving for tomorrows meal. Plus a salad. Bought Big Figs bars. So having one of those with my coffee for tomorrow. I have some tawny port, I just might have a wee glass with my pasta meal.😋
    Hugs ladies
    Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    For a couple of months now I have not been sleeping well. I blamed it on the pain in my hip and back. Now that I am not in pain I have realized that it is actually hot flashes. I had one at work the other day and for the fun of it, took my temperature it was a full 1 degree higher than my normal. If I was to be having one during my screening in the morning I would not be allowed to work. I mentioned it to my BF as her daughter made her a concoction of essential oils that helped her. I asked if her daughter would make one for me. Yesterday a courier arrived with two roller ball bottles full. I used it on my wrists and back of neck last night and did not wake up feeling like I was burning up!
    I have no idea what is in it, but it sure worked.

I also wake up to hot flushes/night sweats ... and get up and use the toilet then. Partly because I need to use the toilet and partly because the house is quite cool and getting up cools me off.

I'm curious about what's in the mixture too!

But meanwhile, I have started putting on a strong antiperspirant (Rexona - with "3x more wetness protection than a basic antiperspirant deodorant") before bed. Apparently applying antiperspirant at night is the way to go anyway, but it does seem to help keep me from waking up absolutely soaked and it seems (although more evidence is needed) to let me sleep longer between getting up.

I am supposed to be on a vacation day tomorrow, but am going in for a zoom meeting for our new system. We are going from DOS base to Cloud base, you can understand the leap we are making and because our technology is so old we can’t just export data. Add in 3 different unions with different payroll and scheduling rules and it’s a massive undertaking.
    It will be incredible when we are out the other side though as our jobs will be changing tremendously.

Tracey in Edmonton

The surge in use of technology is one of the wonderful things about this pandemic. Even my office is talking about letting us work from home more often. Talking isn't doing, but talking is one step forward. Before the pandemic it was a flat "no".

Barbara - your tax systems in the States seem much more complex than ours. Or maybe mine are so basic I don’t have troubles.

Kylia- I think more like you with food, I don’t really get the whole food as an experience thing. I’m always intrigued by it though. I think it’s because I’m so fussy. I also am tired and don’t feel like cooking and cleaning up afterwards. I don’t mind it on the weekends, it’s the weekdays that get me.

Tracey in Edmonton

Taxes - In Australia, I think most people take their taxes to someone to do them. I trained in tax prep in Canada and could have worked for H&R Block or one of those during their busy season if I wanted. I did all my taxes and my ex-husband's even when he was self-employed which was complicated.

But here, I don't bother. We just go to H&R Block - half hour appointment and a few days later we get a notification that it's done.

Food - for me food is fuel. It helps if the fuel has a good texture and a decent taste, but it is just something to keep me going.

Generally speaking, I also prefer if it takes less time to make the food than it does for me to eat it.

So I make a point of having quick meals and preferably low calorie quick meals on hand.

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    I was just watching some of the TV shows I recorded. I am so used to watching commercials that at first I didn't fast-forward thru them....lol

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Tracey, Here is the link to the podcast about anxiety as a habit.

https://tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/judson-brewer-329

Thank you, Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options