WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) On Thursday we got our tax papers back from the accountant. We read over them, signed the necessary form to file the return and mailed that back to the accountant along with the check for her services. This afternoon I read that the Covid relief checks were being sent to some people in the US with and found that ours is a pending deposit to our bank account.

:) I did my/our taxes for years until we got some complicated investments and now I appreciate the luxury of paying someone else to keep current on tax law and fill out the paperwork. I feel safer with our accountant doing the work. When we lived in California I went to her office and sat across the desk from her to ask my questions and hand over my documents. Now I do it by mail. If I have a question, she answers my email almost immediately.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DH does the taxes. Thank goodness! I do not have the skills to do the job. :noway:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    I would like to start installing railings in our yard next to our footpaths/stairs ... but I'm not sure where to start with this project.

Our house is on quite a slope and we've got weird stairs all over the place. My husband is starting to have difficulty with them.

This is a photo taken after our one and only snowfall here but it kind of shows the stairs going up to the right of the house.
    5o9fogqrbt1v.png

Here are those same stairs looking down from the top.
    ea4rbcw0e82z.png

And there are more!

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DH does the taxes. Thank goodness! I do not have the skills to do the job. :noway:

Me neither! We have a tax gal in Warrenton, Oregon that's been doing ours for years. Its nice to still have ties to the coast some way.💖👍
    Rebecca
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Most people in the UK don't have to fill in a tax return, the government automatically deducts tax through Pay As You Earn. PAYE. Every year you get sent a tax code which shows employers what to deduct. Investments and savings have tax taken out of them, unless you declare that you come under the threshold for tax.
    I come well below the threshold, so I pay no tax. I fill in a paper form each year (most people do it online) because I am a writer, which means I have some self-employed income. It's a bore, especially finding out what Amazon has paid me, but usually takes me a couple of hours.
    DH is PAYE, and had a small tax bill this year. Probably savings.
    I could apply to go PAYE, as my earnings are so low, but I'm always hopeful I might suddenly go viral and make a fortune! So I'm keeping my hand in. If I did suddenly earn a lot of money I would pay an accountant, but, at the moment, I'm fairly well organised and on top of things. Some of my savings are in a tax free investment, called an ISA, which pays out almost nothing! I just leave a small amount there for convenience and so I don’t spend it. The next cruise will wipe it out. And more.
    Our tax year runs from April 6th. No idea why!
    We have far less paperwork than the US because health care is free etc.
    Recently it was in the news that some women had been receiving less state pension than they should because of a government hiccup. Some are getting a big back payment. Unfortunately that doesn't apply to me. I get what I'm due, but it's tiny, because I opted to pay a 'married woman's stamp' in 1970. I always though I'd be rich by the time I retired, on the proceeds of my prize winning and best selling books.
    :p:o:p

Saturday today. I might get DH to take the brownies and present over to my son's by car and just drop them off on the doorstep. Weather still awful. We could do a little video for Bea for tomorrow as we can't go over there for her birthday. In two weeks time we will be able to have garden visits. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    ANXIETY My grandson has always suffered from anxiety but I didn’t realise how debilitating it can be until I broke my wrist last year and was in a plaster cast. It was indescribable, I didn’t know what to with myself. Had never suffered this before and hopefully never again.

I also am getting the correct amount of state pension, was hoping for a little windfall but heyho no luck. Fortunately I contributed to company pension in my last job. It was based on salary and I was in a senior position so my pension is reasonable. Together Tom and I have enough to live on and save a bit. We also managed to save before we retired. We are so lucky. I worry about my DD and Partner as they have their own business but can’t afford to contribute to a scheme. They have 2 disabled kids. They were managing to save before the pandemic but received very little help. On the other hand my DS has worked for same company since he was 18 and is in a senior position now, he and his wife will both have substantial pensions when they retire.

Treat on a Saturday, son and I do Guardian crossword together using Signal

Very windy today, so no walk.

Stay safe

Kate UK ❤️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Morning ladies. We are still getting lots of showery gusty weather.

I am grateful for the wide variety of exercise videos on YouTube, which is keeping me moving.

Kylie: ~ It must be such a relief to get your sitting tenant out of your mothers house. I hope your family gets lots of use out of it in the future. We have had to replace lots of our older appliances over the last few years. They don't seem to be able (or willing) to repair things anymore. Built in obsolescence seems to be the norm, especially with the smaller appliances.
    Debbie: ~ I agree with Heather . If you keep picking up after them, then they have gotten away with their strategy. 😈 A few strategic withdrawals of perks works, too! 😈
    Heather: ~ I opted to pay the full stamp when I started working, but because I took time out when my girls were small I don't get the full government pension. Maybe your new memoir will take off and you will realise that dream of riches. 😂

DYD is an accountant, and does our tax returns. We did have a rental property, but it became too much of a hassle, and we sold it. We now have the majority of our money assets in ISAs, mostly in an investment fund. We also have government premium/investment bonds (not taxed) and win regular payouts from ERNIE. We both have super-an career pensions as well as our government pensions, and most of our tax is deducted at source.

My mother was always short of money, so I think that seeing her struggle fuelled my determination to study hard, and get a good job so that I wouldn't follow in her footsteps.

Planning to go to our local shops for fresh bread and meat, then go with the flow. DH cooks Saturday dinner. He also cooked last night. We share Sunday.

Spring is on it's way!!! Have a good weekend.

eul8auupt8iu.jpg

☘️ Terri
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Most people in the UK don't have to fill in a tax return, the government automatically deducts tax through Pay As You Earn. PAYE. Every year you get sent a tax code which shows employers what to deduct. Investments and savings have tax taken out of them, unless you declare that you come under the threshold for tax.
    I come well below the threshold, so I pay no tax. I fill in a paper form each year (most people do it online) because I am a writer, which means I have some self-employed income. It's a bore, especially finding out what Amazon has paid me, but usually takes me a couple of hours.
    DH is PAYE, and had a small tax bill this year. Probably savings.
    I could apply to go PAYE, as my earnings are so low, but I'm always hopeful I might suddenly go viral and make a fortune! So I'm keeping my hand in. If I did suddenly earn a lot of money I would pay an accountant, but, at the moment, I'm fairly well organised and on top of things. Some of my savings are in a tax free investment, called an ISA, which pays out almost nothing! I just leave a small amount there for convenience and so I don’t spend it. The next cruise will wipe it out. And more.
    Our tax year runs from April 6th. No idea why!
    We have far less paperwork than the US because health care is free etc.
    Recently it was in the news that some women had been receiving less state pension than they should because of a government hiccup. Some are getting a big back payment. Unfortunately that doesn't apply to me. I get what I'm due, but it's tiny, because I opted to pay a 'married woman's stamp' in 1970. I always though I'd be rich by the time I retired, on the proceeds of my prize winning and best selling books.
    :p:o:p

Saturday today. I might get DH to take the brownies and present over to my son's by car and just drop them off on the doorstep. Weather still awful. We could do a little video for Bea for tomorrow as we can't go over there for her birthday. In two weeks time we will be able to have garden visits. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather - is this what you are referring to? https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2019/10/09/the-little-known-rule-that-could-help-10-000-women/

Are you certain you aren’t owed a big back payment?

I would love for you to get a huge windfall. xoxo

Karen in Virginia

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Didn't sleep the best last night. The second shot makes me feel like I am getting sick. I feel it most in my eyes. My eyes feel like this when I am coming down with the flu. I do feel nauseous. It did not help DH decided to make corn beef and cabbage. The cabbage upset my stomach.

I had some dreams that bothered and scard me. I knew I should have eaten lighter after the second shot and I didn't and this was part of the consequence.

Until you know how you will react I would keep schedule low key after 2nd shot. I plan to rest today and eat lightly today.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Margaret- that is my plan after my 2nd shot on the 30th,have the 31st and maybe April 1st to recover.. I can only hope that i dont get ill.I tossed and turned last night but was awake at 6 this morning,so i set all the clocks except here in my bedroom ahead.got up and got dressed and did my walk in the hall..put mealworms out for the birds..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!
    Had 5 deer in the backyard this morning. Busy weekend planned. But first work.
    Enjoy your day!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Saturday --

Ran/walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes
    Cycled on my bicycle on a trainer in front of Zwift for 30 minutes
    Rowed on the rowing machine for 5 minutes

Did some mending & laundry, ripped a CD, looked at cycling routes, and waded into some paperwork. My dining room office area looks a bit better and my husband has a bunch of stuff to shred for the garden!

It looks like our toilet might be springing a leak. It's moments like this I wish we had two of them. Hopefully it will be a quick fix.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Today would be a good day to do taxes. I printed the forms. Now I need some motivation! Last year the IRS sent me a correction that I didn't understand. It has killed my motivation for this year. Somehow I have to be an adult and drag myself through this without stress eating. It doesn't have to be perfect; my best guess is the best I can do.

Annie in Delaware
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to vet, reviewed taxes again but still didn’t file.
    Bonus: zoom with T, Freddie’, Post Office, recycling.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, input or taxes on state site, reinput taxes on turbotax, compare refund, if same or minimal difference file, if substantial difference, complain to Intuit, board minutes, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Last week in March: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Mindful March:
    12: Listen deeply to someone and hear what they’re really saying: Joe when he offered to rewind the movie if I’d sit with him. :heart:

Viv, had to google “Wendy House” what a charming picture.
    Kylia no wonder you are overwhelmed. I’m exhausted just reading. ((hugs)) and safe travels.
    Lisa your response to Machka and mindfulness was as on point as you always are. IMHO the for-profit healthcare industry forces providers to focus on the widest possible market. When healthcare was community/faith based/charitably supported caregivers could focus on the individual in front of them. Now we must all advocate for ourselves and our dear ones.
    Machka “…and didn’t attend that meeting” Brava! Would your landlord help with the stair railings? Hope the plumber can fix your leaky toilet SOON!
    KJ A margarita and a few ounces of nuts on an empty stomach after that adventure?!? :noway: Admire your stamina, I would have been sick then passed out. :green:
    Heather your “…usually I have to get up and do something else…” is my cure-all for whirling thoughts preventing sleep. That’s why there’s always at least one dirty dish left in the sink overnight :laugh: Mama also worked full time in the 50’s and her sharing of her experiences taught me so much.
    Barbie :love: your middle ground. Wat you said about the time change. Why are you not in charge? Anxiety as a habit? Hmm. Like adrenalin junkies?
    Annie just a week after vaccination might be a little too soon for your father to invite friends into your home. We’ve been told vaccine won’t be fully effective until two weeks after the second shot… and even then it won’t prevent infection, just serious illness and hospitalization.
    Carol thanks for the gratitude reminder, maybe it will lead me back on track.
    Tracey what you said about our us tax complexity, made worse by frustrating, glitchy software and inaccessible tech support. :rage: That piece of paper on the bathroom floor, made me laugh out loud! Mama used to hide pennies to encourage me to dust thoroughly, until I felt the reward inadequate ;)
    Katla I want the activities (in person church/dance/T’ai Chi and brewpub chats) I enjoyed back in my life too. :sad: that I think it will be an even looonger time before that happens. Our county just jumped up to high risk and is teetering on the brink of extreme. High risk means social gatherings limited to 6 people from 2 households; churches/gyms/restaurants to 25% capacity. Extreme shuts ‘em all down again. Majority of our county’s people seem to think correct masking is optional. Explains the recent jump and bodes not well for the teeter. For how many days after the jab did the headaches last?
    Vicki I’d be interested to learn if you still have the antibodies, too!
    Tina if California’s DST bill passes, and the US congress amends federal law to authorize states to observe daylight saving time year-round (per Wikipedia), then Oregon’s and Washington’s bills to keep DST year round will kick in. Could mean this Sunday would be our last for changing clocks. Until both those conditions are met, we’ll keep springing forward, and falling back. Fingers Xd. I don’t really care which “time” it is, just stick with one and don’t change. That having been said, I’m really enjoying the earlier morning light and longer daylight hours ;)
    Terri “…we have different standards…” Amen, sister, AMEN! :love: the poem, especially “after every struggle you gain strength” A friend once shared that her daughter asked why her dad never seemed to have any money when she seemed to have enough. The friend asked what I thought. “Education” was my answer. The friend completed her degree, continued to an advanced degree all while working full time. The father floated from job to job after completing his military service but never took advantage of the military’s educational opportunities. Well done, you!
    Debbie in Napa ‘…doesn’t know where they go (but somehow knows where they are when he needs them) Amen and amen. Must be the testosterone poisoning.:laugh:
    Michele , I’ve forgotten to fast forward through commercials too sometimes. DVRs are certainly a blessing, can condense a 30 minute “news” program to perhaps 7 minutes of news and one weather forecast.
    Rebecca that is one mouth-watering salad! Sorry, couldn’t open the amazon photos link.
    Margaret sorry to hear of the 2nd shot's after-effects for you. Being nauseous and smelling cooking cabbage :sick: Thanks for the warning. Will remember to stock some ginger ale and chicken soup.

Been up since 2:30 so time for tea, breakfast and a little after-breakfast nap.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 12, weigh: 12; steps>5627=4515 creeping back up ;}, vits=12, log=12, CI<CO=11, CI<250<CO=6, Tumble=13 Shadow=14 mfp=12 outside=9 up hill=7
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii=4 x5= rx=2 dance= clean 60 mins=1.25 packwalk=2, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7:144.4 waah! :sad: 3/14 3/21 3/28 3/31
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=5 play=5 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊🖐️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member